Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Yo this is gonna sound kinda dumb, but I finished Part 6 just recently. Did Pucci 'resetting the universe' retcon the Joestar bloodline from existing, but they're all just from a different bloodline now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Pretty much.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Right on.

Also, Part 5 > 6 > 2 > 3 > 4 >1 so far. I love Giornio so much.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

Zeruel posted:

Also, Part 5 > 6 > 2 > 3 > 4 >1 so far.

:frogout:

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Zeruel posted:

Right on.

Swap 5 and 4 and we're game.

You keep on arguing in the JoJo thread about your favorite part. Every once in a while you think it's done, and everyone will post about JoJolion spoilers or the anime - but, mysteriously, events repeat themselves, and you never realize why. It's as if you're trapped in an endless forest, always passing by the same cottage. Are you lost in the forums? Is there truly no end to arguing about the best JoJo part? But then, there you are again, posting your favorite story arcs in order, and you realize... You will be trapped here forever. Perhaps you will post an explanation of King Crimson's ability somewhere down the line. The forums repeat themselves, forever.

RIP Mandom

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Zeruel posted:

Yo this is gonna sound kinda dumb, but I finished Part 6 just recently. Did Pucci 'resetting the universe' retcon the Joestar bloodline from existing, but they're all just from a different bloodline now?

From what I remember, Pucci's universe reset just fast forwards to a full loop and everyone who was alive during the reset is around for the new universe but everyone who died during the fast-forward gets replaced because their souls hosed off or whatever. Meaning, in Pucci's universe Holly, Josuke, Giorno and Joseph if he was still alive during Stone Ocean would still stick around, but Jotaro and Jolyne got replaced because they died.

Then Emporio killed Pucci, effectively resetting the reset so Jolyne and co are around but also other stuff changed but who knows what.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Zeruel posted:

:stare:

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Imagine [Four Balls] on the edge of a cliff...

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Torquemadras posted:

You keep on arguing in the JoJo thread about your favorite part. Every once in a while you think it's done, and everyone will post about JoJolion spoilers or the anime - but, mysteriously, events repeat themselves, and you never realize why. It's as if you're trapped in an endless forest, always passing by the same cottage. Are you lost in the forums? Is there truly no end to arguing about the best JoJo part? But then, there you are again, posting your favorite story arcs in order, and you realize... You will be trapped here forever. Perhaps you will post an explanation of King Crimson's ability somewhere down the line. The forums repeat themselves, forever.

RIP Mandom

/a/ have been having the same JoJo thread over and over since at least 2012. Someone posts a part ranking, someone says DIO did nothing wrong, someone says "Let's get to Heaven".

It's the rule of all JoJo discussion (that isn't exclusively about the manga) in general, I think. It's still fun though.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Zeruel posted:

Right on.

What the heck.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Giorno is my favorite too.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Someone please write me a thesis on how Giorno is cool.

I thought he was just a boring anime boy who wanted to be a G A N G * S T A R and had [ Ambition ]. His friend Bruno was way cooler.

The phrase GANGSTAR is cool, but Giorno isn't.

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Feb 21, 2015

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
There's actually this really good essay I read recently that I can't seem to find again which pointed out all the ways Giorno was better in the Japanese version. Part 5 is severely hurt by it's terrible translation.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The usual argument is that he's a perfect mix of Jonathan and DIO. He's prim and proper, speaks like a gentleman and is noble, but if you piss him off, he'll straight up brutalise you and destroy you like DIO would.

I just try not to judge Part 5 because it's simply not fair on it. It may be that it's not actually much different when it's finished for all I know, but rather than write it off, I just say I'm withholding judgement.

e: 6 and a half pages of MUDA and a page of WRYYYYYYYYYYYYY is inarguably cool.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Torquemadras posted:

RIP Mandom

Is this too part of [G R A V I T Y]?

WickedHate posted:

There's actually this really good essay I read recently that I can't seem to find again which pointed out all the ways Giorno was better in the Japanese version. Part 5 is severely hurt by it's terrible translation.

I've heard this a lot, everyone who reads JoJo in a language other than English seems to love part 5 and Giorno, and the translation is clearly terrible even without knowing that. Part 5 is still my least favorite, or maybe just ahead of Phantom Blood, but that's because I can only read English. I look forward for the day we get the anime and all us Muricans can also get behind Le Bizzarre Avventure di GioGio.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

WickedHate posted:

Part 5 is severely hurt by it's terrible translation.

I admit that probably all of my dislike for Part 5 is due to the bad translation. Part 5 is still JoJo in that it is crazy and fun, but it just doesn't hit the same highs for me in fights and characters.

If Part 5 re-translation ever picks back up, I'll totally read it again.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Where are you with Steel Ball Run now, Moltrey? Thoughts so far?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

opinions about vento aureo aside, putting diamond is unbreakable anywhere so low on a list is a loving crime and should be punishable by law.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

but how does king crimson work

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

a cartoon duck posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbf1ei7-aK4

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

a cartoon duck posted:

Well enough before it goes up against Gold Experience Requiem.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

a wizard did it

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

KABUTOMUSHI

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

a cartoon duck posted:

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Aurain posted:

Where are you with Steel Ball Run now, Moltrey? Thoughts so far?
Last fight I finished was Scary Monsters and that was beautifully silly and fun. That was a like week ago, haven't had time to read more. The longer chapters are really nice. Previously fights were like six chapters and like 60 pages total. Now they're about two - four chapters and the chapters can be anywhere between 40 - 60 pages.

Stand fights feel newer in a way? Them being crazy superpowers now makes fights a lot more engaging. The characters are really fun. The slow development of Gyro and his motives and Johnny developing a goal and becoming really ambitious about the corpse parts. And then the President shotguns a beer.

I've finally got the part of SBR where the main plot has kicked in so that's exciting. Just a race for Corpse Parts versus the President. I'm really excited to see where all this goes.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

PiedPiper posted:

All through the episode, I was waiting for Avdol to go TSK TSK and use Magician Red to disrupt the magnetism with heat. Then again, that'd probably mean setting himself and Joestar-san on fire until their temperature is past Curie point.

(which is manly as gently caress)

Crossposted from the anime thread; Jolyne confirmed manliest JoJo.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

hoobajoo posted:

Jonathan set his fist on fire. Joseph set his scarf on fire. Jotaro survived being set on fire through burrowing underground. Jolyne just straight up sets herself on fire without giving a gently caress.

Jolyne is hardcore as poo poo.

FeedingHam2Cats
Nov 10, 2009

the giorno fight against the mold guy was cool, especially when it ends in like 5 straight pages of "MUDAMUDAMUDAMUDA"

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

hoobajoo posted:

That statement is rivaled by Josuke's sick motorcycle flips to dodge a baby.

Sorta related to Cool JoJo poo poo, my favorite dumb thing in Part 6 was when a guy punched through Weather Report's cloud arm so hard that his whole arm caught on fire due to the friction from the air resistance.

Apparently, Weather Report had that planned from the very beginning. :cool:

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Weather Report has to be one of the most versatile and crazy Stands in the entire series, and I'm sad he had only one actual fight at Jolyne's side. Stone Ocean had such a great cast of BroJos.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Zeruel posted:

Right on.

KLK avatar and obviously fake opinions? You have to try harder.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Torquemadras posted:

Weather Report has to be one of the most versatile and crazy Stands in the entire series, and I'm sad he had only one actual fight at Jolyne's side. Stone Ocean had such a great cast of BroJos.

Memory-loss Weather Report was one of the best BroJos in the series, shame he ended up being a dick.

Also,

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

opinions about vento aureo aside, putting diamond is unbreakable anywhere so low on a list is a loving crime and should be punishable by law.

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

An underwater adventure? Wow!

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Is the "poo poo eating bitches" catchphrase for Mariah a weird translation thing from crunchyroll? It's the first time I'm seeing it translated like that.

Like here: Beef Edit: The Mariah face was here, you can find it yourself or look in your official copies of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders Volume 10 Chapter Chapter 90 Page 27 as distributed by Viz Media on many locations such as Amazon!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Feb 22, 2015

DoctorX
Dec 11, 2013

Kurtofan posted:

Is the "poo poo eating bitches" catchphrase for Mariah a weird translation thing from crunchyroll? It's the first time I'm seeing it translated like that.

Like here: Beef Edit: The Mariah face was here, you can find it yourself or look in your official copies of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders Volume 10 Chapter Chapter 90 Page 27 as distributed by Viz Media on many locations such as Amazon!

In Japanese she calls them "bichiguso". "Bichi" is how they pronounce "bitch" and "guso" comes from "kuso", which means "poo poo". So I guess they tried to keep those words in the translation even if it sounds weird.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Feb 22, 2015

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Moltrey posted:

Last fight I finished was Scary Monsters and that was beautifully silly and fun. That was a like week ago, haven't had time to read more. The longer chapters are really nice. Previously fights were like six chapters and like 60 pages total. Now they're about two - four chapters and the chapters can be anywhere between 40 - 60 pages.

Stand fights feel newer in a way? Them being crazy superpowers now makes fights a lot more engaging. The characters are really fun. The slow development of Gyro and his motives and Johnny developing a goal and becoming really ambitious about the corpse parts. And then the President shotguns a beer.

I've finally got the part of SBR where the main plot has kicked in so that's exciting. Just a race for Corpse Parts versus the President. I'm really excited to see where all this goes.

Did you know who controlled Scary Monsters going into the story? Because I did, but as I read it I really started to dig the fakeout that's presented despite that. I'd love to hear how well it works when it can really get in your head and play with your expectations.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Funny Valentine Did almost Nothing Wrong.

That Lucy bit :gonk:

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Johnny is the best villain in the series, yeah.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Something else that should be said for SBR: it has the most human bit-part bad guys. As much as I enjoy Part 3 (probably my second-favorite part overall), the villains who stand in our heroes way pretty much exist solely for the express purpose of opposing them. Parts 4, 5, and 6 all make some progress on this account (Part 4 especially, since a lot of them wind up getting won over to the good guys), but it really isn't until SBR that they truly start to shine as characters in their own right, removed from the endless cycle of going up against the Joestar bloodline and getting royally chumped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Archenteron posted:

Funny Valentine Did almost Nothing Wrong.

That Lucy bit :gonk:

Why do all of the bad guys who meet Lucy, aside from Blackmore, try to rape her? :gonk:

• Locked thread