Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
Your handy guide to Pope
David Pope is a political cartoonist whose work in The Canberra Times has frequently made both AusPol and the Political Cartoons thread go all :swoon:,

I don't know a Plebiscite from a Platypus, how am I going to get enjoyment from your strange Upside Down colour pictures?
This post will contain a Who/What/Why of Pope's common caricatures, so you can play along at home, it will fill out in time.

I've never played Knifey-Spoony before, what the bloody hell is going on?
I'll mention Things that Happened as well as any more peculiar cultural references under the relevant cartoons. I might miss some Local Canberra Things, as I live in the Middle of Nowhere.

Anyone who wants to fill out more detail on a subject is welcome to do so, and if I get something wrong you can point that out too. I'll be posting in chronological order with 5 cartoons per post.

These people run our country

Tony Abbott: Prime Minister of Australia.

Joe Hockey: Treasurer. National Budgets have layers.

Mattias Corrman: Senator with a Germanic accent who said something about "economic girlie-men"

Malcolm Turnbull: Minister for Tin Cans and Pieces of String because why replace the copper network with optical fiber now, when you can do it in twenty years time!

Zetsubou-san fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Feb 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

:australia: Pope 21/10/14 ~ 25/10/14

Mattias Corrman cribs off of Arnie

Former Prime Minister Gough Whitlam dies

That same day, the Australian Federal Police closes its case on the Balibo Five.

Tony Abbott toys with the Renewable Energy Target

5 :allears:
Tony Abbott and Christopher Pyne explain their plan for University Education. After Mr. Squiggle, a beloved Australian kid's show that ran for forty years. Any Australian who was a kid back when it was on will know what a sing-song cry of "Upside Down, Upside Down!" is referring to. :australia:

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

:australia: Pope 28/10/14 ~ 31/10/14

Scottt Morisson and Operation Sovereign Borders and the lurking presence of John Howard

Tony Abbott doesn't like Greens or measures that force people who either dig coal up or burn it to pay for the privilege.

A Thing Happened!

Thing 2: Thing Harder

Do Turnbulls Dream of Metadata Retention?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Australian comics are loving amazing, and I thought the British had it mastered.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Does Pope ever do cartoons on international news? I like Australian ones, but even with context, I always feel like I'm missing something.

nuzak
Feb 13, 2012
the grotesque he makes out of tony abbott is completely amazing

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Welcome Aus-toons!

Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on the Daily Telegraph's coverage of the HSBC files – The Daily Telegraph’s former chief political commentator, Peter Oborne, has called for an independent inquiry into the paper’s editorial guidelines over its lack of coverage of the HSBC tax story, which he described as a “fraud on its readers”"

Telegraph:

Limpet teeth set new strength record; Ukraine conflict: Poroshenko calls for UN peacekeepers

Independent:

Mail:
Mac on... Church of England's 'shopping list' of left-wing policies (pdf link)

'Altogether now. One more time!... "We'll keep the red flag flying here..."'

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Paladinus posted:

Does Pope ever do cartoons on international news? I like Australian ones, but even with context, I always feel like I'm missing something.

The Canberra Times' archive page for Pope was culled to only the last 21 cartoons last night so.. er.. You're in luck!

:australia: David Pope 8/1/15 ~ 13/1/15 (plus a bonus from 15/7/14)

Tony Abbott resolves the problem about the Occupied Territories

And some Charlie Hebdo

Mousepractice
Jan 30, 2005

A pint of plain is your only man

IS "Bloggo" is the Australian word for blog?

A good cartoon

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Mousepractice posted:

IS "Bloggo" is the Australian word for blog?

A good cartoon

This is (obviously) an old one that has come up before in the main politoons thread. The other three posters are playing off the title of Charlie Hebdo.

Clapham Omnibus
Nov 11, 2006

This is really good, I wish it had been posted when we had that discussion about Rowson's Hebdo cartoon, it puts the point on the marching leaders hypocrisy much more plainly. More Australian stuff thanks.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on Michael Fallon and Russia – Defence secretary Michael Fallon has warned that the Baltic republics – Nato members Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania – could be next to face Russian aggression"

Independent:

RAF jets scrambled after Russian bombers seen off Cornwall

Yesterday's Times:

Times:

Yesterday's Mail:
Mac on... one-way space mission Mars One

Mail:
Mac on... racist football thugs in Paris

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles
Strayan Cartoons? Strayan Cartoons!

Now, obviously Pope is a National Treasure and in a league of his own, and to expect all Australian cartoonists to be of his calibre is to expect all British cartoonists to be a Rowson or Bell. But there are definitely other good ones, and I'd like to follow up with a cartoonist from the Best State, Tasmania, Jon Kudelka. He draws for the Australian Financial Review and the Hobart Mercury. He also recently released a book about the Tasmanian Whisky industry along with First Dog On The Moon, who the Auspol Crew has extremely ambivalent feelings toward. Here's a few of his recent ones!

The government has proposed scrapping the census to save money, at the same time as it plans to pour dollars into an expensive and intrusive mandatory data retention scheme.

Abbott faces a leadership crisis of his own making.

IF YOU DON'T DRAW MOHAMMED THE TERRORISTS WIN

The Tasmanian state government recently attempted a sweeping expansion of defamation laws which would have allowed corporations to sue for defamation against anything which caused a loss of profits, whether true or not. It was pretty transparently designed to aid their vested interests in the forestry industry, which is a massive cargo cult among Taswegian conservatives. (They recently backed off from these laws, thankfully).

PUP - the Palmer United Party - burst onto the Australian political scene two years ago in an explosion of dodgy preference deals, bizarre populism and an eccentric coal billionare's money and leadership. Predictably, they have been tearing themselves apart and rocketing into irrelevance ever since actually getting elected.

One of the PUPs, Jacqui Lambie, believes the Burqa should be banned and says so loudly at every possible opportunity (which also tends to be an opportunity for her to reveal just how little she actually understands about Islam). She has since left the party and sits as an independent.

Naturally, after the non-debate around Burqas was opened up again, Australia saw a cavalcade of dipshits trying to enter secure areas with facial coverings because Muh Freedomz. Because Australia is a racist country.

Gough Whitlam, former Prime Minister of Australia, founder of large swathes of the modern welfare state and a near-universally beloved figure on the left, died last year. Think of him as an Australian Clement Atlee. The current ALP is a shadow of its former self and the current leader, Bill Shorten (essentially, yes, an Australian Miliband) has less charisma then several plastic bags I've had the pleasure of meeting. This is, I would imagine, not a difficult situation for y'all to empathise with.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

And polls pick Bill Shorten over Tony Abbott as preferred PM at the moment.

:psyboom:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Quite possibly the most progressive Mac has ever been.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

Zetsubou-san posted:

This is because while Shorten may have the charisma of a plastic bag, Tony's can be better equated to explosive diarrhea.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

nuzak posted:

the grotesque he makes out of tony abbott is completely amazing

I dug around and found some of the ones that got removed from the official archive and this batch features various versions of Abbott.

:australia: David Pope circa November 2014 (plus a bonus from Boxing Day)

Tony Abbott shoots the breeze with fellow chums (L to R) Paul Keating, Kevin Rudd, Julia Gillard, John Howard, Bob Hawke and Malcolm Fraser.
Basically, every Primer Minister after the recently departed Gough Whitlam.

Tony "Mature Government" Abbott considering economics while leaks are coming from Luxembourg.
The GST is kinda like the VAT, Abbott talking about extra tax for people while companies avoid paying any way they can get away with.

Some more Renewable Energy Target stuff. It's conceivable that the wombat is Bill Shorten.

Parliment takes a break for the Christmas Period. The Winged Keel is a reference to Australia's 1983 America's Cup win.
in the 'canoe' (L to R) Scott Morrison, Julie Bishop, Joe Hockey, Malcolm Turnbull, Someone who could be (then current) Defense Minister David Johnston, and finally Christopher Pyne

Tony Hobbit :allears:
with special guest metal implement Greg Hunt. Minister for the Environment

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

quote:

Mail:
Mac on... Church of England's 'shopping list' of left-wing policies (pdf link)

'Altogether now. One more time!... "We'll keep the red flag flying here..."'
This accurately portrays the fact that church is attended chiefly by the extremely old and the unwilling young, who the old drag there against their will. A Good Cartoon.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

SeekOtherCandidate posted:

He also recently released a book about the Tasmanian Whisky industry along with First Dog On The Moon, who the Auspol Crew has extremely ambivalent feelings toward. tlee.
What's the deal with First Dog on the Moon, out of interest? The stuff I've seen in the Guardian seems OK.

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles

Zephro posted:

What's the deal with First Dog on the Moon, out of interest? The stuff I've seen in the Guardian seems OK.

My opinion is he's alright, can't draw especially well but more often than not makes up for it with well-placed humourous substitution, and uses too many words. The opinion of others is that there are way, way too many words and the scribbles are there to distract you because you wouldn't read a couple of paragraphs of this stuff. Every now and then he comes up with an absolute stunner, though.

Career-wise he was at Crikey for years before being picked up by The Guardian when they started their Australian site a year or two back. Some of the more internationally-relevant stuff ends up in the UK Guardian as well.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pesky Splinter posted:

I'm amazed that he drew an accurate sympathetic drawing of a black man.

I'm not sure if that makes it better or worse, because the fact that he is able to means that the previous minstrels were a deliberate choice and not just the only way he knew how to draw black people.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

Urrgh moron doesn't translate it should be "je suis crétin"* because cretin is a word that works in both languages :argh:

*which is also not grammatically correct but ssh

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Well, they are morons after all.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Zetsubou-san posted:

Tony Abbott resolves the problem about the Occupied Territories

Found some more info on this:

quote:

A central problem is that Abbott is not good on his feet. It’s not surprising that Credlin tries to keep him on a tight leash. When he speaks off the cuff he can say things that are controversial, including his comment last year that Australia was unsettled, or scarcely settled, before the British ­arrived.

It was in Melbourne on July 3. Abbott was the dinner speaker at the Melbourne Institute conference co-partnered by The Australian. Sitting at the main table was Abbott’s adviser on indigenous affairs, Warren Mundine.

Abbott delivered a solid speech, and then took questions, but reluctantly, telling the audience: “The reason why I tried to avoid any questions this evening was because the last time I answered questions at this gathering the answers to the questions were so colourful that the speech got no reporting whatsoever. So I’m going to do my best to be as dull as I possibly can in responding to that question.”

It was not to be. Answering a question on an unrelated issue, Abbott wandered into tricky territory: “I guess our country owes its existence to a form of foreign investment by the British government in the then unsettled or scarcely settled great south land.” At the top table, Mundine blanched.

from an article in The Australian newspaper that behind a paywall, but if you click the top link in this google search you should be able to bypass it.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

SeekOtherCandidate posted:

My opinion is he's alright, can't draw especially well but more often than not makes up for it with well-placed humourous substitution, and uses too many words. The opinion of others is that there are way, way too many words and the scribbles are there to distract you because you wouldn't read a couple of paragraphs of this stuff. Every now and then he comes up with an absolute stunner, though.

Career-wise he was at Crikey for years before being picked up by The Guardian when they started their Australian site a year or two back. Some of the more internationally-relevant stuff ends up in the UK Guardian as well.

I like Dog :3: It's really more of a webcomic, illustrating a story or a narrative or something. The drawings are usually pretty charming, they have a lot of character and emotion which is a skill in itself - contrast that with Thomas's cut&paste pod people whose range is either looking sideways at someone or staring into the abyss, occasionally smiling or with angry eyebrows drawn on

Speaking of, Thomas's birds/bird jokes twitter now says "former political cartoonist for national newspaper" so it's definitely for real. And what a great one to go out on!

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

I like that Thomas has gone.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Zetsubou-san posted:

Mr Shorten’s comments were also slammed by Liberal MP Andrew Nikolic, who served as a brigadier in the Australian Army in Afghanistan.

“I am appalled by Mr Hicks’ ­actions,’’ he said. “I am also troubled by the failure of the Leader of the Opposition to call him out on it.”

The Liberal Party is the party of common sense. You can't change horses mid-stream.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

even when the horse is drowning

edit: i seem to have picked up a barnacle

Zetsubou-san fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Feb 21, 2015

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

:australia: David Pope is on holidays! 30/1/15 ~ 4/1/15

Malcolm Turnbull sums up the past year

Warren Truss (leader of the National Party) riding the Coalition into the new year.

Nick Xenophon offers a tale of two leaders.
The ball is leadership of the opposition. Yes, the fact the roles are reversed is significant

Christopher Pyne draws up some wish fulfillment.
"Re-balancing" the school curriculum was a thing in October, and a Govt.-commissioned report did suggest cutting back on teaching about Indigenous history

Christine Milne didn't make the deadline so all we have is unfinished sketches.

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

Thomas has gone so we've replaced him in the thread with about 50 mostly irrelevant Australian cartoons for some reason. Who's idea was that?

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on the Greek bailout – Eurozone finance ministers have reached a deal to resolve the Greek bailout impasse after a frantic round of diplomacy in Brussels"

Yesterday's Telegraph:

Telegraph:

Ed Miliband sounds like a 'public schoolboy'

Independent:

After Millais.

Tomorrow's Independent on Sunday:

Times:

Stephen Collins:

:qq:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Better vote for the actual public schoolboy instead.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

Cloud Potato posted:

Tomorrow's Independent on Sunday:

This is actually very symbolic as Merkel is trying to keep Greece from doing more damage to itself while Hollande is trying to keep the rabid bear of Russia away from a weakened Greece. The column realises this and knows that the only way to stop the Angry bear is to destroy itself by landing on the Putish bear's head, rendering it weak and concussed while sacrificing itself for the better good of europe.

Meanwhile Cameron stands there looking like a useless twat as always.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

So why does he have a whippet and a flat cap?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

BastardySkull posted:

Thomas has gone so we've replaced him in the thread with about 50 mostly irrelevant Australian cartoons for some reason. Who's idea was that?

Let's get the Canadian ones in here too and go for a full-blown Commonwealth Cartoons thread.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I kind of miss Thomas to be honest. There was something almost endearing about how awful in every possible way his cartoons were.

nuzak
Feb 13, 2012

Pesky Splinter posted:

And yet he still imagines the chelsea fans (who afforded paris tickets for an away game) as fat, unshaved (read: w/c) racists

look at him. you can smell the gap year twat a mile off

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Zephro posted:

So why does he have a whippet and a flat cap?

I imagine that's him trying to appear working class, in that largely fictional and patronising way that Telegraph readers see the working class

nuzak
Feb 13, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Better vote for the actual public schoolboy instead.

speaking of portrayals of the working class, this cartoon, wow

(also ed milliband is basically a public schoolboy, come on. I don't even think he's had to pay rent on his house in central)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

nuzak posted:

(also ed milliband is basically a public schoolboy, come on. I don't even think he's had to pay rent on his house in central)
He at least has attended a Comprehensive. "Better than Cameron" isn't the highest bar though.

nuzak posted:

look at him. you can smell the gap year twat a mile off
And the racist Chelsea fan next to him. :v:

• Locked thread