Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Strobe posted:

Good job missing the forest for trees. Any true freshman regardless of athletic ability would benefit from a year spent training and conditioning. These kids are still developing, and injuries can happen to anyone.

As would any any football player in college, regardless of what year they're in. It's silly & the SEC will likely never be for it; it'll be even funnier if it's adopted on a per-conference basis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Yeah generally I think the guys who need a year to train get a year to train, and I don't see any reason why the occasional Adrian Peterson-like talent who arrives practically NFL-ready at age 18 should have to sit out. This is a solution in search of a problem.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

Frackie Robinson posted:

I certainly can't conceive of an individual conference instituting that rule without the assurance that everyone else is going to follow suit. As MV pointed out, that would be a gigantic recruiting disadvantage.

Agreed, there's no way the man who just added powerhouse Rutgers to the conference could be that stupid.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

kittenmittons posted:

Agreed, there's no way the man who just added powerhouse Rutgers to the conference could be that stupid.

I want to agree with you but I can't make fun of the Big Ten's march towards voluntary obsolescence as long as they've got the championship belt.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Why must the B1G lead the way in everything that is bad and terrible about college football?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Frackie Robinson posted:

I don't understand freshman ineligibility. Do they think it's going to make guys more likely to go to class if they're not playing? The one and done phenomenon is only an issue is basketball, and only effects a tiny percentage of players in that case.

I certainly can't conceive of an individual conference instituting that rule without the assurance that everyone else is going to follow suit. As MV pointed out, that would be a gigantic recruiting disadvantage.

It's both to help academically weak students get a good base in their education and better training before competing, as well as discouraging those who aren't actually interested in a college education from wasting colleges' time and scholarships.

The latter is probably the bigger reason. One-and-dones will be encouraged to go find a semi-pro league to hone their skills for the NBA, since if they go to a college they'll have to waste a year going to classes and learning stuff.

This was the original intent of the freshman ineligibility rule when it was first adopted in the early part of the 20th century. Players hopping from one college team to another (sometimes multiple times in the same season) without ever going to classes was a significant problem and the one-year residency rule put a stop to it.

Nowadays we have lots of recruiting and scholarship rules which can accomplish much of the same thing, but it will still help with the problem of athletes who aren't interested in an education using college athletics as free training for a professional career.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
How is that even a problem though. I mean it's a much bigger loving deal that these colleges are using athletes to win games without any care of whether or not they get an education. You make it sound like it's the athletes that are exploiting the schools.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I wonder if spring enrolees could still be eligible in the fall

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Raku posted:

How is that even a problem though. I mean it's a much bigger loving deal that these colleges are using athletes to win games without any care of whether or not they get an education. You make it sound like it's the athletes that are exploiting the schools.

My hope is that this is a start for dealing with both. Clearing out athletes who aren't interested in an education would go along with stressing a better education the rest of the athletes.

We'll have to see where it goes. I'm pleased that they're recognizing that there needs to be more emphasis on education for college athletes. I have no idea what the overall plan is at this point.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Raku posted:

Yeah, this will not change the way athletic departments treat their athletes when it comes to education. I highly doubt the athletic departments that find the easiest ways for their students to remain eligible (read: all of them) will change their approaches just because there's a mandatory redshirt year. They have zero incentive to, and there's a vanishingly small number of students this would actually impact. One and dones will become two and dones, and they won't get any better education, because the athletic departments don't want to. They still do this with non-revenue sports, and most of them stay for 4-5 years (and if they leave it's not to go pro), so why would it change with a mandatory redshirt year?

Deteriorata posted:

My hope is that this is a start for dealing with both. Clearing out athletes who aren't interested in an education would go along with stressing a better education the rest of the athletes.

We'll have to see where it goes. I'm pleased that they're recognizing that there needs to be more emphasis on education for college athletes. I have no idea what the overall plan is at this point.
I would imagine that many athletes are as interested in a good education as their non-athlete peers, which is to say they would like an education, but don't really know (or really care) what it's in, but the athletic departments just love shunting athletes into courses that are easy and don't require much work to remain eligible. If your academic advisor says to take this class, you're probably going to do it whether or not you're an athlete. And so if your academic advisor isn't interested in you getting a good education (they're primarily interested in maintaining your eligibility if you're an athlete!), you probably won't. And if you've ever taught at a university you've probably heard stories, or gotten emails yourself, about how Athlete X can maintain eligibility. Is there extra credit? Can you regrade an assignment? Yeah, these are people that really care about the education of the athletes under their charge :rolleyes:.

And I still have no idea how a mandatory redshirt year would even be relevant to changing this.

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009

Crotch Bat posted:

Why must the B1G lead the way in everything that is bad and terrible about college football?

The Pac 12 was the first to bring it up.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Deteriorata posted:

The only problem is that college is the only way to the pros. There's not other option but college for someone with NFL aspirations.

Edit: and I don't feel this would change anything with education or that the schools care to rock the billion dollar boat and change how they work to keep athletes eligible.

Neil Armbong fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Feb 21, 2015

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
This will stress the importance of the communications degrees they're herded into

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
I know I've hated having D'Angelo Russell on my basketball team this year.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

It also means you only get two playing years of out of the guys that would leave for the NFL after their junior season.

I can't decide what to think about this. Both sides have pros and cons, but neither have a big enough pro or con for me.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Deteriorata posted:

My issue with this is that it treats a college education as some kind of holy endeavor. Spoiler alert, a whole lot of regular college students don't give a poo poo about their education either and just breeze through easy classes in order to get a degree. Kids only going to college because they want to play football for a bit before going to the NFL because that's their only reasonable option shouldn't be seen as a crime or as some kind of horrible problem that needs fixing. There are plenty of student-athletes that actually give a poo poo about graduating and getting a degree, and those guys can and do accomplish that all the time. And I mean come on, do people really think that not letting some 18-year-old kid play football for a year is going to make him give a poo poo about his psychology degree when he's been told since 7th grade how great he'll be in the NFL?

I don't know, I just feel like there are plenty of much more serious problems that need to be tackled with college football before trying to force kids who just want to go to the NFL (and help make their schools millions in the process) to go to their Intro to Sociology classes. Maybe if the issue was safety and there was a disproportionate number of freshmen getting injured every year or something, but I haven't seen that brought up since the focus seems to be on "fixing" the one-and-done "problem".

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

It just seems to me like a rule done exclusively because of 1 and done basketball players. Why harm football, the larger moneymaker, for it? The eligibility rule is already there, redshirting is already there, is there some issue with true freshman getting snaps? And the NBA commish has been hinting at raising the age for draft eligible players since he took over as it is.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I should point out that I only think this is dumb in football. I agree that the one-and-done rule in basketball is a terrible band-aid and something like baseball's "get drafted or stay for X years" would be better. I just think that making all freshmen ineligible is a super misguided way to achieve the nebulous goal of making kids give a poo poo about something they clearly don't give a poo poo about and is just going to lead to the rule being repealed or completely changed in like 3 years.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

VDay posted:

My issue with this is that it treats a college education as some kind of holy endeavor. Spoiler alert, a whole lot of regular college students don't give a poo poo about their education either and just breeze through easy classes in order to get a degree. Kids only going to college because they want to play football for a bit before going to the NFL because that's their only reasonable option shouldn't be seen as a crime or as some kind of horrible problem that needs fixing. There are plenty of student-athletes that actually give a poo poo about graduating and getting a degree, and those guys can and do accomplish that all the time. And I mean come on, do people really think that not letting some 18-year-old kid play football for a year is going to make him give a poo poo about his psychology degree when he's been told since 7th grade how great he'll be in the NFL?

I don't know, I just feel like there are plenty of much more serious problems that need to be tackled with college football before trying to force kids who just want to go to the NFL (and help make their schools millions in the process) to go to their Intro to Sociology classes. Maybe if the issue was safety and there was a disproportionate number of freshmen getting injured every year or something, but I haven't seen that brought up since the focus seems to be on "fixing" the one-and-done "problem".

I would argue that fundamentally that's not a problem that college athletics should be solving. A better solution would be for the NFL to use some of its enormous profits to fund a developmental league as an alternative to college football.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Deteriorata posted:

A better solution would be for the NFL to use some of its enormous profits to fund a developmental league as an alternative to college football.

Might as well wish for a unicorn or world peace or something.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

VDay posted:

This isn't really about solving any problem, its about covering their rear end.

People are starting to realize that student athletes aren't really a thing, so they are desperate to make people think that isn't true. Whether it does so doesn't really matter.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

Deteriorata posted:

I would argue that fundamentally that's not a problem that college athletics should be solving. A better solution would be for the NFL to use some of its enormous profits to fund a developmental league as an alternative to college football.

Do you think the NFL, which claims it's a tax exempt organization, routinely asks local governments for hundreds of millions of dollars for stadiums, and until recently denied that football caused brain injuries, is going to fund something out of pocket for the benefit of some 18 year olds?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Grittybeard posted:

Might as well wish for a unicorn or world peace or something.

I am thoroughly aware of that. It's more that the argument that college football is somehow obligated to accommodate non-students so they can have professional careers is not a very strong one.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Deteriorata posted:

I think college football is way too established as a major sport for some kind of developmental league to ever take off or be a true alternative. You would have to pile on some major obstacles to entry to the NFL at the college level in order to convince a top recruit to go play for the Albuquerque ant-eaters or whatever rather than going to Alabama/Oklahoma/OhioSt/etc, sitting out a year, then getting national exposure for two years. And that's ignoring the obvious issue that the NFL would never actually create this league, which would be ludicrously expensive to even set up.

It's why I think pretending that student-athletes can get back to being True Honorary College Students is a naive pipe dream, and everyone's time would be much better spent figuring out a reasonable way to just pay the kids for bringing in millions to their schools as part-time employees.

Deteriorata posted:

I am thoroughly aware of that. It's more that the argument that college football is somehow obligated to accommodate non-students so they can have professional careers is not a very strong one.

Sure it is. These non-students bring in millions of dollars to the universities, so forcing them to pretend to be students just for the sake of appearances is silly. If you want your university's student-athletes to be students first then cut the budget of your football team, cut their practice times, their team meetings, and "voluntary" team activities, and let them focus on school. But don't hurt their potential future earnings just so you can sleep better at night pretending that the kids your football coach recruited by promising playing time, national exposure, a chance to get to the NFL, and probably cold hard cash is there to better himself as a student.

VDay fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Feb 21, 2015

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

National champion, Heisman winner, King crab enthusiast
As far as basketball is concerned I like giving the athlete the option to go pro after high school. If you decide to go to college, you're locked in for 3 years.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Dattserberg posted:

As far as basketball is concerned I like giving the athlete the option to go pro after high school. If you decide to go to college, you're locked in for 3 years.

That's how college baseball operates and it seems fair enough. I think hockey has a similar policy, but I'm not aware of all the details.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

RumbleFish posted:

That's how college baseball operates and it seems fair enough. I think hockey has a similar policy, but I'm not aware of all the details.

Baseball and Hockey have significant minor league systems, though, and are willing to absorb players that need time to develop. The NBA just recently added the D-League. I could see them adding this capability and just sending players off to the international leagues, but it'd take some significant changes to the way that league operates.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I think they should let the sports be majors. Let practice be a class and so on. Yeah most guys with their degree in footballology won't use their degree or be particularly employable, but, poo poo, I used my degree in International Relations to get me a full time position in retail before becoming a tech editor and graphic designer for an space consulting firm so it's not like I'm using all the things about how treaties work on the job.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Sash! posted:

I think they should let the sports be majors. Let practice be a class and so on. Yeah most guys with their degree in footballology won't use their degree or be particularly employable, but, poo poo, I used my degree in International Relations to get me a full time position in retail before becoming a tech editor and graphic designer for an space consulting firm so it's not like I'm using all the things about how treaties work on the job.

A lot of the football players here major in Kinesiology which is kind of like that.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

computer parts posted:

A lot of the football players here major in Kinesiology which is kind of like that.

Yeah, we had a lot of guys in that too. We kinda mocked it as the Gym Teacher Degree. Also had a lot of guys in "Labor and Industrial Relations," which always made me think it was some sort of program to produce no-necks to be mob toughs.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

So, not that this is the NFL combine thread, but sometimes you really don't know how good your upperclassmen were till they get there to demonstrate. Chris Conley, graduating UGA WR, ran a 4.35 40, vertical of 45 inches (record was 46), and a board jump of 11'7" which ties the combine record. I saw those results and went :stare: and then was instantly sad that he won't be playing for us next year.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

KKKLIP ART posted:

So, not that this is the NFL combine thread, but sometimes you really don't know how good your upperclassmen were till they get there to demonstrate. Chris Conley, graduating UGA WR, ran a 4.35 40, vertical of 45 inches (record was 46), and a board jump of 11'7" which ties the combine record. I saw those results and went :stare: and then was instantly sad that he won't be playing for us next year.

That wasn't even the fastest WR either.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
The dirty little secret of baseball is that you either skip college and make $1,100 a month being herded like cattle around the minor leagues or you go to college anyway and your pitching arm falls off because your coach is some dip-spewing fuckface.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

The dirty little secret of baseball is that you either skip college and make $1,100 a month being herded like cattle around the minor leagues or you go to college anyway and your pitching arm falls off because your coach is some dip-spewing fuckface.

And then there's like an 0.0001% chance you turn into Barry Larkin or Stephen Strasburg (whose arm has already fallen off once)

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
To me, Matt Cassel remains the example for gaming any pro system. He never played. He got a college degree. He was smart enough in dissecting things to be given a chance, parlayed that into a very small sample size of NFL action and was handsomely rewarded with millions of dollars. And he never has to play again.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

To me, Matt Cassel remains the example for gaming any pro system. He never played. He got a college degree. He was smart enough in dissecting things to be given a chance, parlayed that into a very small sample size of NFL action and was handsomely rewarded with millions of dollars. And he never has to play again.

Brad Johnson had a similar trajectory except he was slightly better than Cassel as a full time starter for a few years.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Miami has two players quitting the team, Antonio Crawford and a kicker

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

He's the Charlie Weis Of 'franchise' quarterbacks.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Since we always making fun of "Ndamakong Suh, all-time Big 10 lineman" I must note that SECN is currently showing a Kansas-Mizzou basketball game from 2009.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Dattserberg posted:

I think locking them up at any point is pretty dumb. I don't think, like, Carmelo Anthony really needed two more years of school. But anyway the requirement that they be one year out of high school is an NBA rule, not NCAA.

• Locked thread