Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I'd put Tokatti very slightly ahead of Akira as ToQ's best character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Tokatti was okay but sort of just a generic smart blue. Akira and Hikari were the only standouts among the heroes. Hikari probably slightly better in that there are already a lot of goofy, oddball sixths.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Zyuranger's weird because it's the dinosaur sentai but it's also the Dragon Quest/Final Fantasy (literally referenced in the intro "Dino-Fantasy") Sentai but it's also one of the first seasons where they started really playing around with the ideas of things like the sixth ranger. It was also REALLY heavy on kid episodes, but there was also a reason for it in the shows own overarching story. It is a bit strange that like, every child in the world seems to personally know the Zyurangers? But this is the sort of thing Sentai just sort of DOES from this point forward.

It's a good show, though. I loving like it, though I admit it has some failings. Several actors obviously take some time to grow into their roles, but that show had some stellar loving moments. The entire Burai arc is incredible, and was REALLY something for its time. Burai just charging into the Daizyujin cockpit and wrecking poo poo was as jaw-dropping when it happened in Japan as when it happened in America

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Feb 20, 2015

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Cliff Racer posted:

Tokatti was okay but sort of just a generic smart blue.

Tokatti's whole deal was that he was a ridiculous tryhard for most of the series and episodes centering on him often showed him agonizing pretty bad over any perceived failure, especially in regards to pulling his weight for the team. It went on a bit overlong for all the weirder episodes between ones focusing on him but he had one of the best character arcs next to Schwarz, slowly getting over his self-confidence issues and anxiety about being a useful part of the group. He's kinda close to Doc as far as character parallels go.

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
Does anyone know if the Sazerscrubs people are anywhere close to releasing another group of Gransazer episodes? I liked what I watched, and if they've given up the ghost I might as well deal with TV-N to see how it goes.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
So I watched Megaranger episode 16 today, which features a poison moth who poisons people. Megaranger had so-far been a pretty light hearted series but this episode was pretty intense- quite well written and interesting, enough so for me to check its sentai wiki article. Low and behold, "This is the first Sentai episode written by Yasuko Kobayashi; she would become notable for being the main writer of several Sentai, starting with 1998's Seijuu Sentai Gingaman and will also include Timeranger, Shinkenger, Go-Busters and ToQger." Guess I really should watch Gingaman sometime.

Nyarlathotep
May 29, 2003
Has anyone gotten to subbing all of megaranger? I feel weird being less than a dozen episodes from the finish line.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Nyarlathotep posted:

Has anyone gotten to subbing all of megaranger? I feel weird being less than a dozen episodes from the finish line.

MFC finished it a year ago.
https://millionfoldcuriosity.wordpress.com/category/releases/megaranger/

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
It's me, the giant nerd who teared up a little during the ToQ finale when Right's mom did the lantern thing.

Is it still the general consensus that I should switch over to Over-Time if they decide to do Nininjer? I've been watching TV-N for years, but I feel like maybe I should change it up.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

deadly_pudding posted:

It's me, the giant nerd who teared up a little during the ToQ finale when Right's mom did the lantern thing.

Is it still the general consensus that I should switch over to Over-Time if they decide to do Nininjer?

Yes, that's not even a question. TV-N make bad subs, both in translation and in encoding, and are generally scummy outside of the sub-par quality of their work. O-T for lyfe.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
TV-Nihon
http://i3.minus.com/ibvoFAp9MpT5cZ.png

Over-Time
http://i7.minus.com/i1kgTlmYGmF5Z.png

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

deadly_pudding posted:

Is it still the general consensus that I should switch over to Over-Time if they decide to do Nininjer? I've been watching TV-N for years, but I feel like maybe I should change it up.

Serious question, why do you still watch TV-Nihon? Habit?

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...
Can someone dig up that post from one of the TVN guys where he said translating things was appropriation or something? It was really weird and wanky weebish trash.

But between that post and Onore TVN that should turn anyone away.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

TVN Subbing posted:

For gently caress's sake, this is literally "keikaku means plan" level subbing.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Some Numbers posted:

Serious question, why do you still watch TV-Nihon? Habit?

Habit pretty much, yeah :shobon:

Poison Mushroom posted:

For gently caress's sake, this is literally "keikaku means plan" level subbing.

I'm almost certain that was a translator joke. Monster Hunter 3 also has a little cat-person on that same boat named "Neko (Means Cat)".

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

deadly_pudding posted:

I didn't tear up, half due to being in a room with friends, but I'd be lying if I didn't get emotional when Right's family finally showed up at the end.

Also, for all of ToQ's problems, and I enjoyed the majority of it, Zed is up there with Enter as far as top Sentai villains go. That line near the end, "Don't you two start shining now," or something to that effect, was just great.

Also I will miss Baron Nero dearly. By the end of the series, his "YOUR MAJESTY!" (HEIKA) became the new Barizorg "Yes Boss" as far as "things everyone in the room repeats after he says it." The way he says it is just so great.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

deadly_pudding posted:

I'm almost certain that was a translator joke. Monster Hunter 3 also has a little cat-person on that same boat named "Neko (Means Cat)".

The translator joke in MH3 was making fun of TVN-style lovely subbing. it was a direct reference to how bad TVN is at it. Another translation joke in MH3 is a straight reference to one of their infamous lovely translations.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

ImpAtom posted:

The translator joke in MH3 was making fun of TVN-style lovely subbing. it was a direct reference to how bad TVN is at it. Another translation joke in MH3 is a straight reference to one of their infamous lovely translations.

O-baka-chan-tachi?

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

deadly_pudding posted:

You should go a step farther and go back in time to switch as soon at O-T becomes a thing.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Overtime

TV Nihon

Any questions?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
No, the best example is the lack of bad Koryu Blue puns.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Tae posted:

No, the best example is the lack of bad Koryu Blue puns.

Or, from what I've heard, their incomprehensible Akibaranger subs.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Overtime

TV Nihon

Any questions?

The absurd translations work in Decade, because the show and characters are equally as absurd.

mynameishong
May 5, 2013
I've never seen a Kamen Rider before (barring a little bit of OOO, which I enjoyed). I was wondering if I should watch Fourze or Gaim. What's a better entry point?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Fourze is more indicative of the structure of most Rider series, having the two-episode arcs. Gaim is more serial and not really structured like a lot of modern Riders. They're both good and it kinda depends on what you want. Fourze is more light-hearted and comedic, while Gaim leans more dramatic and serious.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
And if you want a mid-point between the two, with a more grounded plot but still very KR-ish, then you can't go wrong with W.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Poison Mushroom posted:

And if you want a mid-point between the two, with a more grounded plot but still very KR-ish, then you can't go wrong with W.

W and Fourze were my first Riders, and I can't recommend them enough. Gaim is pretty good, but I feel it's not very well-suited for someone's first series, since, like people have said, it's not as close to the "Rider structure" as others. More personally, I think there's a lot of stuff that one might not dig, and it might sour them from Rider in general, whereas they're more Gaim-specific than generally a part of Rider.

Spandex kungfu bugmen are cool, is what I'm saying.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Poison Mushroom posted:

You really can't. W is basically the best start point, even moreso since you can follow the Movie Wars from there on. I'd recommend starting with W and going in order, skipping Wizard entirely because Wizard is poo poo.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

mynameishong posted:

I've never seen a Kamen Rider before (barring a little bit of OOO, which I enjoyed). I was wondering if I should watch Fourze or Gaim. What's a better entry point?

Gaim is really not a Rider series, in a lot of ways. Fourze is a much better start point because it has all the common Rider elements, for better or worse.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Ninjapan looks awesome.

Yoshi (Blue from Dino Charge) demands over-time sub it.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I don't know why you'd choose those two series in particular. W or OOO are probably better start points as neither is actually very indicative of the general KR franchise.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Dr Tran posted:

Ninjapan looks awesome.

Yoshi (Blue from Dino Charge) demands over-time sub it.

Dino Charge Blue is turning into my favorite person. He's just such a dweeb about Sentai and it's adorable.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Cliff Racer posted:

I don't know why you'd choose those two series in particular. W or OOO are probably better start points as neither is actually very indicative of the general KR franchise.

Fourze, for all its virtues, is kind of an exact retread of W, so I don't understand how you think one is properly Kamen Rider but not the other.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Fourze is incredible, watch Fourze.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Watched a few more episodes of Zyuranger, and man, I'm really enjoying this season. Having it on DVD is helping me actually sit down and watch episodes. No idea why, it's honestly less convenient than having files on a hard drive, but I've made more progress in Zyuranger in a week than I've made in Maskman in almost 2 years.

I love the rangers' civilian outfits; I really like that they have a distinct feel to them, of being more or less ancient royalty. I can see what everyone was saying about tons of children in danger though; it's not killing me get, but I do wish they changed it up a bit more.

Also, I am constantly weirded out by Mei's utter failure to emote during the OP. She's perfectly fine in the series proper, but she's got this blank thousand yard stare in the OP footage that's really unsettling.

EDIT: oh yes! This next episode has my absolute favorite Sentai trope; mixing the human scale and mecha scale. ToQ-Oh in the dollhouse was one of my favorite gags in ToQger, I'm glad it's in other series'

jivjov fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Feb 22, 2015

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Boy and Mei's actors are really bad at the outset I always thought but they improve a lot as the show goes on

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

AzraelNewtype posted:

Fourze, for all its virtues, is kind of an exact retread of W, so I don't understand how you think one is properly Kamen Rider but not the other.

It might have the same basic plotting as far as the arcs and such go- OOO did too- but the atmosphere with the school, KRC and everything is very different. Having the characters be young enough that they have to worry about school stuff totally changed the shows dynamics for me a lot more than, for instance, them being vampires, would have.

mynameishong
May 5, 2013
I started watching Fourze and holy loving poo poo, I do not regret it one bit.

The main character is a delinquent that wants to aggressively make friends with everyone. His powers include summoning a chainsaw to his leg. His finishing move was a rocket-propelled drill drop kick.

This is wonderful.

mynameishong fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Feb 22, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I feel like W is a strong starting place because while it doesn't perfectly embody the idea of Kamen Rider it has a bit of everything in a way which I feel makes it easy to jump off it to other Kamen Rider shows. If you're like "I liked W but I wish it was more serious" then you can point towards something like Agito or Kuuga. If you're like "I liked the buddy/friendship element between two different characters" then maybe OOOs. If you liked the general tone and atmosphere and plot structure then Fourze. It isn't quite perfect but it feels well-rounded to me as a starting place.

I feel like W also gives you a good feel for how much toyetic elements you can take. If Gaia Memories are too much for you then Medals/Astro Switches/ect will give you hives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

mynameishong posted:

The main character is a delinquent that wants to aggressively make friends with everyone.

Keep in mind the 'everyone' in that sentence for later.

• Locked thread