Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

HGH posted:

No, I'm pretty sure that this and the Mitoc- I mean Parasite Eve playthrough have plenty demonstrated that the friends just suck at RPGs.
Or rather, common sense disappears when you're trying to entertain an audience it seems. That and using guides on a phone being too hard apparently.
Honestly my biggest issue is how much they're fast-forwarding through the dialogue in games where it's part of the highlight, but that's been pointed out and talked about before.

I'm sad they utterly ditched the MP5.

So best friends suck at RPGs because they're only using FAQs when they feel they are stuck? Yeah, sure, OK. The better question is, who cares, because the videos wouldn't be as entertaining if they just aced everything and breezed through the game. It worked for SH2 or NMH because Pat and Matt respectively actually had enough knowledge and love to just talk about the game the whole time, but for most games, there wouldn't be nearly as much to talk about if they were just following a guide. Guides are for lame-os.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It is extremely hard to play a game blind when one is constantly talking in your ear and your job is not to ignore his words.

TheRealestMatt
Jun 27, 2014

The Boss. The CEO. The J-Cup Lover.
I think this really cements the fact we should probably stay away from long RPGs for the most part. There's so many things and variables to consider when playing, and the games are so long most people just loose interest.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

TheRealestMatt posted:

I think this really cements the fact we should probably stay away from long RPGs for the most part. There's so many things and variables to consider when playing, and the games are so long most people just loose interest.

So when's the DS1 LP coming, in that case?

TheRealestMatt
Jun 27, 2014

Blockhouse posted:

I know, you're right. I wasn't being totally serious.

Not serious like Matt Polishlastname is about MK Armageddon being the hero of all fighting games, anyway!

It might have been blurred by alcohol and i might have expressed it poorly, but my point remains. The PS2 MK games sold millions and millions of copies, each entry in the series. I think Deception sold 1 million copies in it's first WEEK. Which is something fighting games fail to do nowadays. They are NOT good games. But since no new street fighters were being made, the MK games were the strongest selling fighters of that era, and simply kept fighting games alive in a mainstream/publisher perspective. Like, "Fighting games? Those still sell? WHOA! That new MK game managed to do HOW much? Wowzers!" that type of thing. At the very least, it kept Midway alive for much longer than it should have.

ApeHawk posted:

So when's the DS1 LP coming, in that case?

As far as I know, never.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

TheRealestMatt posted:

no but what about my matt plays persona 4 blind 100% completion LP

(You have a point there, although I think SMRPG-sized RPGs aren't that long. Not a lot of those tho.)

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I think the shorter RPG playthroughs are fine, but they probably shouldn't be 100% blind, I always like the "one blind surrogate-audience commentator + one thoroughly experienced commentator"

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

TheRealestMatt posted:

I think one is OK, but Parasite Eve and SMRPG running concurrently was probably a mistake. That said, I like both playthroughs and am watching both, but I can see how having multiple RPGs, even games short by RPG standards, can be fatiguing.

If Pat plays DS1, it would take under 20 hours for a full playthrough; hell, Woolie could probably do it now in under 30 easy. DS2 took forever because it was Woolie's first Souls game; there's a lot of ideosyncracies about Souls gameplay, and it takes a while to relearn how to play video games. DS2 is also the most padded of the trilogy, and is easily the hardest (though it's hard in a lot of lame ways compared to the others). Demon's Souls took me under 10 after I played Dark Souls, a Woolie/Liam playthrough of that would be very welcome.

hoobajoo fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Feb 21, 2015

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

TheRealestMatt posted:

At the very least, it kept Midway alive for much longer than it should have.
It's actually surprising, as flawed as the PS2 MK games were, that the Netherealm guys were able to do so much with Midway's moth-in-wallet budgets.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Improbable Lobster posted:

It's literally 5 hours long and has exactly 0 replayability.

That's bad but not exactly a new thing for gaming? Resident Evil: Raccoon City comes to mind and that was years ago, not to mention the endless stream of shooters and rear end Creeds that get churned out every year.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

TheRealestMatt posted:

It might have been blurred by alcohol and i might have expressed it poorly, but my point remains. The PS2 MK games sold millions and millions of copies, each entry in the series. I think Deception sold 1 million copies in it's first WEEK. Which is something fighting games fail to do nowadays. They are NOT good games. But since no new street fighters were being made, the MK games were the strongest selling fighters of that era, and simply kept fighting games alive in a mainstream/publisher perspective. Like, "Fighting games? Those still sell? WHOA! That new MK game managed to do HOW much? Wowzers!" that type of thing. At the very least, it kept Midway alive for much longer than it should have.

I have trouble wrapping my brain around a world where that happened. Like I forget MK was a really big deal for a long time and sometimes my mind just rejects the thought.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Kimmalah posted:

That's bad but not exactly a new thing for gaming? Resident Evil: Raccoon City comes to mind and that was years ago, not to mention the endless stream of shooters and rear end Creeds that get churned out every year.

Shooters have multiplayer and AssCreed has a ton of things to do and I dunno why you'd bring up Operation Raccoon City in any sense except to mock it viciously.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Kimmalah posted:

I was watching Cliff Blezinski stream the game earlier today. From pressing the start button, it took almost half an hour to reach the first fully playable action sequence. Everything before that? QTEs, unskippable cutscenes, and walking around listening to radio voices with the run button disabled.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

You literally can't beat Assassin's Creed 1 under 5 hours, unless some new skip glitch was introduced.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

hoobajoo posted:

So best friends suck at RPGs because they're only using FAQs when they feel they are stuck? Yeah, sure, OK.

Nah, it's cause they don't do so until it's already been too late. I was mostly making of Pat's inability to open guides out of laziness/spell check.

And really, I wouldn't trade a Parasite Eve playthrough for the world, I'm loving that poo poo, and the next couple bosses are great. Really, I just wanna see the reaction to the zombie T-Rex, cause that sorta stuff is undeniably rad.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
My issue isn't that guides are being used, it's that guides are being used a tiny bit and then advice from them is being taken out of context, at least in SMRPG which is why we have Lazy Shell Peach defending every turn and Geno Whirls all day every day. I'm not saying I want 100% Perfect Flawless Every Time runs, but it's occasionally super frustrating to watch two grown men bumble incompetently at a game I figured out when I was seven.

I mean, there's funny bumbling and then there's bumbling bumbling. SMRPG has both but a wee bit too much of the latter.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?
Mario RPG isn't really hampered by bumbling though, because it's pretty drat easy. The lack of Tool use in Parasite Eve was pretty bad though. It'll hobble them for a bit, but they can bring it back now that they have a better understanding of the equipment.

That being said, a lot of these stumbling blocks look like they could have been taken care of by reading the manual beforehand, or popping over to beforeiplay.com

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

You know what I like? When you guys play video games. Also, in what can only be called crazy random happenstance, I like it when you guys don't play video games and just yammer. Both are pretty neat.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I've also heard that, if you skip all the cutscenes in The Order, you can seriously finish it in around an hour.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

I've also heard that, if you skip all the cutscenes in The Order, you can seriously finish it in around an hour.

this is untrue. you cant skip cutscenes.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Roobanguy posted:

this is untrue. you cant skip cutscenes.

That's why he said "if".

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Unskippable cutscenes in the year 2015, what

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Tupperwarez posted:

That being said, a lot of these stumbling blocks look like they could have been taken care of by reading the manual beforehand, or popping over to beforeiplay.com

Yeah people can talk about the horrors of RPG lps all they want, but most of these problems would be solved by holding down a button at some point over the course of 5 hours to learn how to run or looking through menu and status screen options for a minute, doesn't exactly require a ton of prep time

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Tae posted:

Well, I suppose these are the same developers who argued that 30 FPS was more cinematic, so...

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Tae posted:

Cinematic vision.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Spiritus Nox posted:

Well, I suppose these are the same developers who argued that 30 FPS was more cinematic, so...

Can't wait for the new age of 23.97 fps games.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Hearing how much work Matt put into unlocking everything in Armageddon I'm kinda unsure now if I wanna see them go back to Soul Calibur and do an episode on 3 or 4.

You can spend a long rear end time just trying to unlock all the different poo poo for create-a-character mode in 3 especially and while fights based on letting the game generate random characters for them would be neat, for some reason it always seemed like most of the time the characters the game would generate were just dudes in loincloths and bathrobes so you wouldn't even get to see just how creative things could get.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Charles Martel posted:

That's why he said "if".

Yeah, my bad, I was meaning that it only has around an hour of actual gameplay. The rest is cutscenes with QTEs.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Why on earth are the guys fighting enemies in the Mario RPG playthrough? They are unkillable and it's just a slog at this point :psyduck:

It's why I'm hoping for a TTYD playthrough, because even if they try to break the game with PANIC MODE it's still tense getting parries right.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Why on earth are the guys fighting enemies in the Mario RPG playthrough? They are unkillable and it's just a slog at this point :psyduck:

Because Mario and Geno dying every turn and needing to be revived in every battle for the last dungeon is even more tedious to watch than fighting dudes along the way and I'm guessing Liam is probably aware of that.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Dias posted:

Can't wait for the new age of 23.97 fps games.

They'll also average an hour and a half to two hours in length, with the epics going on three, for Maximum Cinema.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Blockhouse posted:

Shooters have multiplayer and AssCreed has a ton of things to do and I dunno why you'd bring up Operation Raccoon City in any sense except to mock it viciously.

I brought it up as an example of a game with a very very short amount of game time that still sold for full retail price.

As for shooters, the vast majority have half-assed single player campaigns and multiplayer that's virtually unchanged from one sequel to the next, but they still charge $50-60 a year with no complaints.

Tae posted:

You literally can't beat Assassin's Creed 1 under 5 hours, unless some new skip glitch was introduced.

Assassin's Creed 1 is also from before the time when Ubisoft decided that there needed to be an AC sequel released every goddamn year.

Ultimately my whole point is this whole thing is not a new problem so I'm not sure why people are acting like this is just something The Order and no other game has done.

Kimmalah fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Feb 21, 2015

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Kimmalah posted:

Ultimately my whole point is this whole thing is not a new problem so I'm not sure why people are acting like this is just something The Order and no other game has done.

But your point doesn't make sense. Assassin's Creed as a franchise is a lot of things, but a short game blind is not one of them. That is the main issue of the Order, not including terrible technical choices of 30 FPS WITH the lovely Evil Within style black bars.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Kimmalah posted:

I brought it up as an example of a game with a very very short amount of game time that still sold for full retail price.

As for shooters, the vast majority have half-assed single player campaigns and multiplayer that's virtually unchanged from one sequel to the next, but they still charge $50-60 a year with no complaints.

Assassin's Creed 1 is also from before the time when Ubisoft decided that there needed to be anrde AC sequel released every goddamn year.
ree

The Order, much like Watch_Dogs, was one of the "big" HD games and was heavily advertised as being one of the games that would "define next-gen".

Wjat people got was a game that was literally shorter than the single player in any given Call of Duty that pads its length with unskippabke cutscenes and QTEs.

I'm not sure why you brought up AssCreed's annualization. None of the games are even close to as short as The Order is and they all have collectibles and unlockables that might give you a reason to replay it.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, rear end Creed has a lot of problems, largely relating to a design philosophy that's led to the games being weighed down with bloat, but I wouldn't really describe them as lazily built or insubstantial the same way the Order seems to be.

TheRealestMatt
Jun 27, 2014

Kimmalah posted:

What? Those have tons of playability and multiplayer modes. Order has no such thing.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Think about it this way: The Order 1886 has exactly as much replayability as Rogue Warrior. And even then, The Order doesn't have a sick Mickey Rourke rap during the credits.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Rogue Warrior also has a multiplayer mode.

This latest Mario RPG episode was kind of boring (to be fair this is the biggest slog in the game imhp) and I found myself counting how many times Liam did Geno's timed attack correctly: 2.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Honestly, some of Assassin's Creed's problems revolve around TOO much content and TOO much collectibles, so I can't really see a comparison to that series and this Order game everyone is getting upset about.

Here's the thing: If Blockbuster and Hollywood video still existed, five hours of content wouldn't be a problem, because you could just rent the game, beat it in an evening and return it the next day for five bucks. But you really can't rent games anymore, so your only option is buying the game and 60 dollars for five hours of gameplay is just an unacceptable price no matter how you cut it. No one would pay 60 dollars for a movie ticket, so why should anybody pay 60 dollars for a "cinematic" video game?

Clip-On Fedora fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Feb 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

Clip-On Fedora posted:

Honestly, some of Assassin's Creed's problems revolve around TOO much content and TOO much collectibles, so I can't really see a comparison to that series and this Order game everyone is getting upset about.

Yeah, the problem with AssCreed is that it has a ton of content but none of it is really substantial and "do junk with no impact on the story" has supplanted the original conceit of the game play to such an extent that the games are only enjoyable when they're not about assassins, which is insane.

The Order is really more like those budget Unreal Engine 3 shooters that were all over the Xbox 360 for a while (MorphX and Eat Lead: Return of Matt Hazard spring to mind) with higher production values.