Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Neddy Seagoon posted:

This is true for real martial arts, but it's not what you do for a movie or TV series.

It is when a) you don't have much of a budget and b) you are trying to advertise a kit that for all of its articulation can't actually do that much beyond basic punches and kicks.

quote:

The Seiken-Zuki he delivered with the Dom looked far more interesting too, because it was a proper standing strike that warped the poo poo out of the Enact as the impact traveled through it.

I feel like half your problem with this is that you just don't understand this show has a TV anime budget. We have been getting stock animation ever since episode 1 because they can't afford to reanimate it every time like they could with the SBS since the martial arts move isn't the finisher anymore.

I mean hell, you complained earlier about how boring the Lightning FB's battle was last episode when it was in fact by far the most interesting and technically impressive; you just couldn't tell because it was hit so hard by a low animation budget because the big money was spent on the Denial's martial arts. Which are much harder, and thus much more expensive to animate than generic beam rifle shots or saber clashes, which is the entire reason the BB (which has neither of those) has been stuck in stock animation hell.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Feb 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BlitzBlast posted:

It is when a) you don't have much of a budget and b) you are trying to advertise a kit that for all of its articulation can't actually do that much beyond basic punches and kicks.

Actually the articulation on the hands is phenomenal. All the hand pieces have an inset rotating joint so they can sit flush against the wrist and not point straight out like the typical HG hand. Especially when a pair of them is just flat palms. And stock footage isn't the issue, it's what they've chosen to use for it.

BlitzBlast posted:

I feel like half your problem with this is that you just don't understand this show has a TV anime budget. We have been getting stock animation ever since episode 1 because they can't afford to reanimate it every time like they could with the SBS since the martial arts move isn't the finisher anymore.

I mean hell, you complained earlier about how boring the Lightning FB's battle was last episode when it was in fact by far the most interesting and technically impressive; you just couldn't tell because it was hit so hard by a low animation budget because the big money was spent on the Denial's martial arts. Which are much harder, and thus much more expensive to animate than generic beam rifle shots or saber clashes, which is the entire reason the BB (which has neither of those) has been stuck in stock animation hell.

That's very true, and is really to the worse for the series as a whole when The B/TBG gets so much focus and none of the budget it needs to actually be entertaining. Hell, I'd probably like the Lightning Full Burnen more if they could get it into a Bloodhounds-style fight.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

are you seriously trying to lecture me about how good the hg build burning's articulation is

do i need to wave my gunpla phd

More seriously, you need to really sit down and actually think things through a bit. You want something really impressive? Then the animators will have to animate the during and after of that every single time. This is easy with a basic punch or kick, because then it's just impact + other guy flying away. But what if you wanted something like a throw? You can't stock footage much more than the windup of that because the entirety of the throw portion would be unique to each target, which would defeat the point of cutting costs through stock animation. Well okay, how about a one inch punch or something? To make the stock animation worth it the Burning would have to get into that situation a ton of times, and that would make for some really shoddy battle choreography. More than that, a big draw of the HG Build Burning is that it has effect parts that cover the entirety of the hands/feet. Guess what, it's kind of hard to map that to much more than basic punches and kicks.

The entire problem with the Build Burning's fights has never been that its stock animation is boring or whatever. The problem is that they keep on spamming finishers, which again is because they have no other option since a good martial arts fight is expensive and they have two other mechs to animate. The real problem is whoever decided the main machine should be martial arts focused, but that happened and the animators have to live with it.

EDIT: Basically unless some crazy behind the scenes scandals reveals that the animation budget was blown on MGs, it's pretty fair to assume the animators are doing the best with what they've got. And from the looks of things, that's not a lot.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Feb 20, 2015

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BlitzBlast posted:

The entire problem with the Build Burning's fights has never been that its stock animation is boring or whatever. The problem is that they keep on spamming finishers, which again is because they have no other option since a good martial arts fight is expensive and they have two other mechs to animate. The real problem is whoever decided the main machine should be martial arts focused, but that happened and the animators have to live with it.

EDIT: Basically unless some crazy behind the scenes scandals reveals that the animation budget was blown on MGs, it's pretty fair to assume the animators are doing the best with what they've got. And from the looks of things, that's not a lot.

I was actually agreeing with you on that in my last post. Though I do reckon there had to be some kind of budget shenanigans behind the scenes, because you'd think they'd be spending more money on the sequel with how much Build Fighters must've made for them. Cross Ange probably stole it :v:. At the very least, they probably got the same budget as last time, but you only get a third of the quality when you're stuck dividing it by what's essentially three separate fights to animate at once.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

are you seriously trying to lecture me about how good the hg build burning's articulation is

do i need to wave my gunpla phd

Why isn't this your redtext?

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
I read that in amuro's voice and it was funny.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Not even my father gave me a redtext!

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

the lack of animation budget makes sense, consider G reconguista looks loving great IMO.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Monaghan posted:

the lack of animation budget makes sense, consider G reconguista looks loving great IMO.

G-Reco's also running on a pretty low budget, but they're milking all they can out of it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

G-Reco's pretty noticably budget, they just use the budget in interesting places. The actual technical animation is rougher than BFT's and there's a lot of corner-cutting in smaller scenes. They get around it by having distinctive visuals and a few real interesting animations which tend to make the viewer overlook a lot of the weaker ones. If you look for it G-Reco has a lot of really rough scenes or off-model characters. (Sometimes the characters don't look the same from episode to episode. Really noticeable in the "truth about Aida and Bellri" episode IMO.)

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Being creative on a budget to the point where you can mask it somewhat has resulted in a lot of iconic anime, and of course a fair number of mecha shows fall into that category.

Ryas
Dec 28, 2012

Srice posted:

Being creative on a budget to the point where you can mask it somewhat has resulted in a lot of iconic anime, and of course a fair number of mecha shows fall into that category.

pfftttha you only posted that to draw attention to your own avatar

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Mods change thread title to Kamiki Sekai raped jigen-haoh-ryuu'd my childhood

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Ryas posted:

pfftttha you only posted that to draw attention to your own avatar

That detail totally slipped my mind I swear.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Just in terms of budget, it's always fun to remember that these are from the same episode of the same show:

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Doan's Island Part 2: Rock Harder

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Lostconfused posted:

Doan's Island Part 2: Rock Harder

God loving dammit I knew I should have made that joke.

Have they been touching stuff like this up in the BDs or are they just leaving it in? Seems strange given how embarrassed about Doan's island Tomino is.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

ImpAtom posted:

Just in terms of budget, it's always fun to remember that these are from the same episode of the same show:

I know it goes without saying but while the bad shot is worse than average bad, the good shot is SO loving GOOD

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

It's not thaaat bad to be honest.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Ka0 posted:

It's not thaaat bad to be honest.

Really? :allears:

I mean yes, feel free to argue that the unanimated part of it isn't bad, but that looks worse than what happens when I try to draw a gundam.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

Okay draw a gundam then.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

An hour and a half ago, sheer madness made me attempt to translate the MG Dark Matter's manual. I only got through the Amazing Exia portion, but even that is amazing.

quote:

This machine, having been developed with all of the PPSE Works Team's techniques, is the ultimate gunpla. Developed in secret, it was built in outer space inside a factory shaped like the Ptolemy. There were two main reasons for this. First, since a spaceship is always moving it became possible to develop the model free from the eyes of spies. Second, being built in a zero gravity environment means the component parts can be put together perfectly. Furthermore, on the surface the different weights of paint and plastic means a truly perfect coating is impossible. Only in zero gravity can this problem be addressed.

While development on this machine began so that it could be used by the Third Meijin Kawaguchi during the 7th World Tournament, a problem soon arose. Large schedule delays prevented this machine from being fully assembled before the 7th World Tournament opened. As such, the plan was revised so that the machine would be used after the 7th World Tournament. However, due to unexpectedly strong competition, even the Meijin could not guarantee victory. Recognizing its necessity, Allan Adams, the Chief Engineer, decided to enter this machine in the tournament. Working together with the Meijin, the two were able to personally complete 80% of the construction just in time. As the two both attended the Second Meijin's school, they were extremely qualified builders. Not only that, but since the two were the ones to do the finishing touches, the pilot, Meijin Kawaguchi, would be able to handle it exceedingly well as he both "knew the machine" and "loved the machine".

This machine's development code was A5. It was based on the Gundam Exia.

Meijin Kawaguchi was well known for putting the word "Amazing" before his favorite Zeon machines, and he once added the word "Vrabe" to the names of the Gundam type machines he created. This machine was named the "Gundam Amazing Exia", making it a Gundam with the word Amazing. The reasoning behind this was that Meijin was combining the two concepts, creating the ultimate machine. While this machine was incomplete during the battle with Julian Mackenzie, it was for all intents and purposes completed afterward. But in order to further Chairman Mashita's plans, the Meijin was brainwashed and this machine was turned into the Gundam Exia Dark Matter to compete in the finals.

There's still all of this (and the illustrations... and the weapons... and the pilot bio), but I don't have it in me to keep on going. Only thing of note I see from a brief skim of the above picture is that it was based off the Hi Nu Vrabe's booster, which does confirm that the original Amazing Exia also had the bird thing.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Feb 22, 2015

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
That is beautiful.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

So yeah, if you were wondering what the Gunpla mafia did, apparently they spied on really impressive builds.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

ImpAtom posted:

G-Reco's pretty noticably budget, they just use the budget in interesting places. The actual technical animation is rougher than BFT's and there's a lot of corner-cutting in smaller scenes. They get around it by having distinctive visuals and a few real interesting animations which tend to make the viewer overlook a lot of the weaker ones. If you look for it G-Reco has a lot of really rough scenes or off-model characters. (Sometimes the characters don't look the same from episode to episode. Really noticeable in the "truth about Aida and Bellri" episode IMO.)

You are stupid as hell if you think budget matters a single bit. It's a god damned sunrise show. G Reco's production schedule fell apart is that why the episodes look like poo poo despite having really good scenes here and there (Also Episode 10 was outsourced to WIT, which is why it actually looks good). 9 times out of 10 when a show looks terrible and it's from a somewhat "reputable" studio it's the schedule falling apart. Incidentally this is also why Try looks like warmed over rear end in a top hat compared to the first GBF.

Uznare fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Feb 22, 2015

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf

BlitzBlast posted:

An hour and a half ago, sheer madness made me attempt to translate the MG Dark Matter's manual. I only got through the Amazing Exia portion, but even that is amazing.

-snip-

So what I'm getting from this is that the Amazing Exia was the first Gunpla in outer space.

:syoon:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Uznare posted:

You are stupid as hell if you think budget matters a single bit. It's a god damned sunrise show. G Reco's production schedule fell apart is that why the episodes look like poo poo despite having really good scenes here and there (Also Episode 10 was outsourced to WIT, which is why it actually looks good). 9 times out of 10 when a show looks terrible and it's from a somewhat "reputable" studio it's the schedule falling apart. Incidentally this is also why Try looks like warmed over rear end in a top hat compared to the first GBF.

I have not seen anything remotely suggesting G-Reco's production schedule 'falling apart' mentioned anywhere reputable so I have no idea where you're getting that. It also doesn't make much sense as G-Reco's animation problems are almost universally those you'd see from a studio working on a tight budget, not one whose production schedule is falling apart.

You can make arguments for Try because Try has actually shown some of the traditional problems of production problems. It had a sudden noticable retooling where the direction of the show changed. There is an increase in stock footage, still pans and even a psuedo-clip show which are all things shows tend to fall back on when they're having production problems because it allows them to fill in gaps where production problems have caused greater issues.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Feb 22, 2015

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Ka0 posted:

Okay draw a gundam then.

Don't do this; it's a really bad deflection tactic. That's like saying it's impossible to criticize Sekai's fight style because you can't do Jigen Haoh.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I have not seen anything remotely suggesting G-Reco's production schedule 'falling apart' mentioned anywhere reputable so I have no idea where you're getting that. It also doesn't make much sense as G-Reco's animation problems are almost universally those you'd see from a studio working on a tight budget, not one whose production schedule is falling apart.

You clearly do not understand how anime works. "Budget" is something that people who are ignorant of the existence of production committees cling to as an explanation for shows not being great in certain departments. Hell, you don't even have to know anything about the industry. it's a loving GUNDAM SHOW, it's the 2nd biggest moneymaker in the god damned industry, the production committee behind G-Reco would have to want it to fail to make it a """"""budget"""""" show.

Also it's obviously not on any news sites because it's not something studios want to be visible. Like this poo poo happened to rolling girls and takahiro shikama complained about it on twitter and he was pressured into his closing account. But anyone who actually visits blogs about the industry and the animation threads on 2ch knows this.

e: holy poo poo i just read your edit and you truly are an imbecile.

Uznare fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Feb 22, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Edit:

Honestly, this is a topic for the G-Reco thread, not the Try thread, and considering the tone of the comments I doubt anything productive would come of it anyway. I'll drop it here.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Feb 22, 2015

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I love the idea that you're arguing that Gundam shows get infinite resources to spend or that a show not having infinite resources to spend means they want it to fail. That certainly demonstrates a firm understanding of how any form of animated production works.

Budget is a real actual thing which many anime creators have talked about. Learning how to save your production budget (which includes the time spent on scenes in addition to the actual financial costs) is a pretty central part of show development. That isn't to say that production problems never exist but production problems don't cause the same issues as a show having to cut costs to use money where it needs to be used. Japan even has special terms for the high budget/low budget animation.

Holy poo poo stop posting you don't know what you're talking about. Yes shows have "budget" but it's almost never the reason shows have trouble. There's even a loving show airing right now that explains it plainly for chucklefucks like you who think they know everything.

ImpAtom posted:

Except I do follow those blogs and sources. Your argument is basically "Well, nobody is saying anything because they'd get in trouble but I KNOW it's happening!!" which is hilarious because the last three non-BF Gundam Shows have all had very serious production issues which were not mysteriously hidden by Sunrise's all-powerful illuminati. The full details are obviously not publicized but it isn't subtle when poo poo is going wrong.

If G-Reco is having production problems provide a source discussing it. I'd like to see it and I certainly could have missed it. If your argument is "I said it did because I said so," then I don't have any particular reason to take you seriously.
Ok, I don't have a public source for it. Sure. I'll drop that. I can understand that. On that same vein though, can you give me a source or legitimate reason for your amazing conspiracy theories about the retooling of Build Fighters Try? Or are you just trying to convince the thread that since you started enjoying the show again that it somehow mysteriously got its writing staff & storyboard artists replaced despite being the same from the start and following the same themes all along? Apparently people legitimately thought the "Original Writer" was brought back in as an emergency thanks to your amazing posts regarding the matter.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Does anyone else get a weird adolescent Hayato Jin feeling from Junya? Because that's what's been bugging me about him.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

My uncle* works at Sunrise and told me they're having production issues.

*friend in a public IRC channel

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

You make some fair points. However I can see the way this conversation is going and I'm not in the mood for a "you're the idiot, you fuckhead" style conversation about a silly cartoon show. If I said anything wrong or objectionable I apologize and will try to avoid doing so in the future.

TARDISman posted:

Does anyone else get a weird adolescent Hayato Jin feeling from Junya? Because that's what's been bugging me about him.

I don't really get much of a Jin feeling from Junya. He just feels kind of Stock Martial Artist Rival #3. I guess some versions of Hayato have a little bit of that to them but it isn't really what I'd call one of his defining traits.

Admittedly Hayato is one of my favorite Getter characters and Junya feels like the amazing man without a personality to me so YMMV.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Feb 22, 2015

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Uznare posted:

Holy poo poo stop posting you don't know what you're talking about. Yes shows have "budget" but it's almost never the reason shows have trouble. There's even a loving show airing right now that explains it plainly for chucklefucks like you who think they know everything.

Ok, I don't have a public source for it. Sure. I'll drop that. I can understand that. On that same vein though, can you give me a source or legitimate reason for your amazing conspiracy theories about the retooling of Build Fighters Try? Or are you just trying to convince the thread that since you started enjoying the show again that it somehow mysteriously got its writing staff & storyboard artists replaced despite being the same from the start and following the same themes all along? Apparently people legitimately thought the "Original Writer" was brought back in as an emergency thanks to your amazing posts regarding the matter.

Laughing my rear end off, at this.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Uznare posted:

lol

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

i came here to laugh at you

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

the epic wierdo dickhead who knows way more than you because he reads 2chan, and isnt afraid to rub it in everywhere, instead of being excellent to his fellow posters

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

the incredibly powerful 'salty about childrens cartoons' posting style

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

You do realize there's an edit button?

• Locked thread