Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Apple2o
Mar 25, 2009

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 9 years!)

The Mighty Biscuit posted:

But they are soulless. Every single highway man has the same lines as every other highway man. There is nothing unique about any of your lepers. Steve the Plague Doctor and Bill the Plague Doctor are basically the same person.

Let's go make tons of unique lines for Dismas; so everyone can not ever hear them when he dies in the tutorial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Apple2o posted:

Let's go make tons of unique lines for Dismas; so everyone can not ever hear them when he dies in the tutorial.

This game has such as hilariously cruel difficulty curve, Dimas got killed the tutorial by a lucky 24 damage crit.

Yup it's a game in which you can lose your characters in the initial tutorial level.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Apple2o posted:

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

One thing they can do is add quirk-specific lines to the characters.

A highwayman with syphilis who yells, "your mother is uglier than the sores in my crotch!" as he attacks would be pretty drat funny (and sufficiently gross).

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The quirks aren't as meaningful since you get 2 new ones after each mission and they are often not connected to the actions in the game.

I'm not sure how my prized Crusader picked up crotch rot from a dungeon full of skeletons.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

enraged_camel posted:

One thing they can do is add quirk-specific lines to the characters.

A highwayman with syphilis who yells, "your mother is uglier than the sores in my crotch!" as he attacks would be pretty drat funny (and sufficiently gross).

Sounds epic, gamer.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
well this thread got lovely fast

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Coolguye posted:

well this thread got lovely fast

Thanks for your valuable opinion cool guy.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

enraged_camel posted:

Thanks for your valuable opinion cool guy.

yw

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
hey 80 pages before retard tantrums begin is pretty good for Games

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Expecting tantrums over the starting difficulty but no it's about the speech bubbles :laffo:

halp, my guys talk too much!!

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Jackard posted:

Expecting tantrums over the starting difficulty but no it's about the speech bubbles :laffo:

halp, my guys talk too much!!

Maybe you have been living under a rock but people have been complaining about the *lack* of difficulty.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

It's more a broken curve, the first few weeks are hard but once you farm enough upgrades/trinkets it becomes easy to steamroll the rest of the game.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

enraged_camel posted:

but people have been complaining about the *lack* of difficulty.
Yes, once you get past the start. Work on those reading skills, my man

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

But they are soulless. Every single highway man has the same lines as every other highway man. There is nothing unique about any of your lepers. Steve the Plague Doctor and Bill the Plague Doctor are basically the same person.

But the classes are unique. It doesn't matter if every plague doctor has the same personality, its better than them having none. There are eventually going to be enough classes that you can easily avoid having repeats in your party, plus hopefully as the quirk system gets improved more there will be unique dialogue there.

Lots of people have spoken about enjoying the narration and character speech. Fine if you don't like it, but if you think its an objectively bad idea your pretty dumb.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
The only objectively bad thing about dialogue is that it slows down combat. If the bubbles didn't prevent the player from acting, they'd be perfectly fine.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

In fact they should just get rid of the characters, and instead you have to choose between floating weapons to take on adventures

stopgap1
Jul 27, 2013
I just lost an entire B team to the hag. first full wipe. RIP Lucy the Leper and friends. I knew I was fighting the Hag, and somehow I still managed to screw up the party composition. I just regret the trinkets... and the occultist was awesome.

I feel that restarting after their recent patches I have been more challanged... or something.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

HogX posted:

In fact they should just get rid of the characters, and instead you have to choose between floating weapons to take on adventures

You are an idiot.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

enraged_camel posted:

Maybe you have been living under a rock but people have been complaining about the *lack* of difficulty.

Oh, word?

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Not really, there are like 3 people who are all "this is super easy*" (*once you figure everything out). Some more feel that the higher levels (much like most roguelikes I'd like to point out) lack the same danger since you usually have a better buffer to handle/recover from stuff and could use some more oomphf. We also don't know what the last 2 dungeons will be like, which could have implications on how the rest of the difficulty needs to be.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

HogX posted:

This is why I only play DCSS and I only play spellcasters who use animate weapon. Everything else sucks and this forum sucks when it's not talking about animating weapons (preferably katanas) and using them to kill baddies.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

HogX posted:

:eyepop:

I think I can actually mod this

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

etalian posted:

It's more a broken curve, the first few weeks are hard but once you farm enough upgrades/trinkets it becomes easy to steamroll the rest of the game.

It's almost like it isn't done or something.

The Mighty Biscuit
Feb 13, 2012

Abi gezunt dos leben ken men zikh ale mol nemen.

Internet Kraken posted:

But the classes are unique. It doesn't matter if every plague doctor has the same personality, its better than them having none. There are eventually going to be enough classes that you can easily avoid having repeats in your party, plus hopefully as the quirk system gets improved more there will be unique dialogue there.

Lots of people have spoken about enjoying the narration and character speech. Fine if you don't like it, but if you think its an objectively bad idea your pretty dumb.

I know you're more mature than that. There's no reason to resort to calling names because I really dislike something you like. i know im being really mean spirited but its at the game and its stupid bubbles. Not you. You like it? Fine. Thats cool. I hate it.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
The bubbles are pretty good. I like seeing my dudes say stuff. As mentioned, they just need to not be so intrusive. I laugh every time my nymphomaniac drunkard Vestal with Love Interest says "this may seem like a strange request at first, but..." Party on, you goofy tantric priestess. :buddy:

HogX posted:

I legitimately want this to be a class. Ghost class. Just a loving possessed spear or something that wootles around murdering poo poo. Its camp abilities include "hilarious ghost prank" and "visit dead relatives" and in battle it can possess a dying companion to boot them off of Death's Door and give them a protection buff.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I always forget to use trinkets.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

I always forget to take my good ones off people resting in town.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

I know you're more mature than that. There's no reason to resort to calling names because I really dislike something you like. i know im being really mean spirited but its at the game and its stupid bubbles. Not you. You like it? Fine. Thats cool. I hate it.

Look at the post that started this whole thing;

They need no lines. Turn that garbage off. the narration and the speech bubbles are loving awful ideas that are implemented even worse.

Its not that you don't like it, you were talking like its objectively bad which is hilariously dumb. I just told you as much.

Chard posted:

I always forget to use trinkets.

You get so many lovely ones you probably won't even notice the rare occasion you find one worth using. I remember being really confused when I got the Hellion's common trinket because it has strong benefits with zero downsides. I thought it must be glitched because every trinket I'd seen until then always had a terrible, crippling flaw.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Feb 22, 2015

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

I wouldn't be surprised if 2 different people did trinket passes, or if there really hasn't been one done in several balancing passes. There are actually quite a few that are really good, with low downsides or things you can effectively ignore (light trinkets are great examples of this). Some of the class trinkets seem pretty great, while others are just terrible.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

It really feels like plague doctors need to be buffed in general, crusaders need to be changed to be actually fun over unbelievably boring to play (oh look they never die and do no damage, just throw out stuns forever and be a lovely secondary heal if the going gets rough) , the aforementioned occultist heal change needs to happen like yesterday

It's mostly just plague doctors though, they feels like an active waste to have on any team because of how low their damage is and how useless outside of bosses DoT is for the player

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

Its not that you don't like it, you were talking like its objectively bad which is hilariously dumb. I just told you as much.

guys i think we can all agree that you both are awful.

just loving terrible.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Coolguye posted:

guys i think we can all agree that you both are awful.

just loving terrible.

Also, all they need to do is add an option to turn them off, or allow you to hit spacebar or something to skip them when they come up. It's not a big deal, and there's no way it's a priority right now either way.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Fixing plague doctors should be their priority imo

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Jackard posted:

:eyepop:

I think I can actually mod this

I think you could. The sprites are in the steam folder IIRC and it seems like a simple enough job to pop in and just edit out everything.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

Toxxupation posted:

crusaders need to be changed to be actually fun over unbelievably boring to play (oh look they never die and do no damage, just throw out stuns forever and be a lovely secondary heal if the going gets rough)

uh wut

My 4x lvl 5 Crusader team wrecks faces, I don't think there's been a fight of theirs that lasted more than 4 rounds unless I was intentionally drawing it out for stress heals.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

They need no lines. Turn that garbage off. the narration and the speech bubbles are loving awful ideas that are implemented even worse.

I too enjoy hearing bland generic npcs repeat the same canned lines and believe that adding more canned lines to say the exact same thing in different ways would improve the game.

I don't see how canned lines are charming.
Much like your posting

The dialogue is great, the reactions to crits are pretty fantastic(Jesters laughing maniacally owns), and the little touches like if a dude gets focus-fired and knocked down by half of their health in a single turn, one of the party members can(but not always!) say "are you alright?"

It can be improved of course, they need to change the layout for the cart definitely so that they word bubbles don't overlap the characters, Affliction speech needs to not pause everything, and hey, maybe they can add a menu option to disable various dialogue options for boring people like you

enraged_camel posted:

You are an idiot.
What is joke

How is humor formed

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

ZypherIM posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if 2 different people did trinket passes, or if there really hasn't been one done in several balancing passes. There are actually quite a few that are really good, with low downsides or things you can effectively ignore (light trinkets are great examples of this). Some of the class trinkets seem pretty great, while others are just terrible.

There's a hilariously rubbish Highwayman one, Cursed Buckle, which gives a bonus to Stun and Blight skills and a penalty to either Bleed skills or Bleed resist.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Angrymog posted:

There's a hilariously rubbish Highwayman one, Cursed Buckle, which gives a bonus to Stun and Blight skills and a penalty to either Bleed skills or Bleed resist.
I want the ability to sell trinkets so I can sell the like 8 of these that I have.

The trinket inventory system, that you have to first open a character's window then the trinket window, then close them both before going on to the next, etc. is total garbage. The UI definitely needs improvement and I hope they focus on that a lot as the game gets closer to official release.

Clicking on a trinket slot should just open the trinket window and show only eligible trinkets(and one of each with how many you have in your inventory listed next to it). Dragging a trinket out of a slot should automatically dump it back into your trinket inventory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radiochromatic
Feb 17, 2011

Angrymog posted:

In a way, I kind of really appreciate that the game drops terrible trinkets that offer no benefit. Kind of like a punishment for anyone foolish enough to go "Yeah, I like stun skills, let's put that on him" without checking if he can. I'm hoping there are more of them. Though I will admit, picking up five in one run through the Wealds was just a little much. Though it does make me wonder if, in the full game, there will be skill upgrades that allow you to place status effects onto current moves. Point Blank Shot would be a prime choice to get a stun chance on it.