Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Harden is carrying that drat team. MVP to me is, who has the biggest impact to a team if they weren't there. How many games is Houston winning without Harden?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"
Kyle Korver is definitely going to get MVP votes this year and I'm excited by it.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

Kyle Korver is definitely going to get MVP votes this year and I'm excited by it.

I have no objections to a world where Kyle Korver is NBA MVP.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

EvanTH posted:

*Can we do our 50 least favorite NBA players? That seems like it'd be even more fun and irrational than 50 most favorite. I'm voting Steph Curry and I really have no idea why.
I vaguely recall someone doing that follow-up two years ago, if you want to run it knock yourself out. IIRC it got way more votes than either of the positive lists.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

hitze posted:

Harden is carrying that drat team. MVP to me is, who has the biggest impact to a team if they weren't there. How many games is Houston winning without Harden?

If you ignore the conventional 'best player on best team' line of thought, then it's probably a close race between Harden and Davis, with Harden leading by a bit.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

attackmole posted:

Pretty ecstatic with how the Raptors have been doing this February so far. They came into it at a low point and I was fearing the worst that they could go on a crazy losing streak, but they've been killing it.

I'm estatic that I dont have to see the freakouts after every loss from my friends here on Something Awful

MOVIE MAJICK fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Feb 21, 2015

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If houston finishes top 4 i think Harden might since Howard will miss half the season. Probably Steph though.

Whats the criteria for least favorite? I love watching Lebron play cause i love basketball, but I hate him.

Vogon Poet
Jun 18, 2004

Someone bought me this custom title because they think I kick ass at Photoshop. They happen to be right.

hitze posted:

MVP to me is, who has the biggest impact to a team if they weren't there.
Cleveland with LeBron: 32-14. Cleveland without LeBron: 2-8.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Counterpoint: everyone who works at Grantland is a huge fuckin' nerd and not at all qualified to judge who is cool and who isn't.

As evidenced by the fact that they recorded a podcast with a 'Not Cool Power Rankings' that lasted for forty minutes.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It's going to be Curry, there's a difference between who "should" win and who will win based on decades of how sports writers vote on these things.

Anthony Davis isn't sniffing the top 3 votes for MVP. He could have the greatest season ever outside of Wilt and it doesn't matter because his team isn't even in the playoffs.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

The Heat announced Bosh's season is over :rip:

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Vertical Lime posted:

Poor Boshasaurus.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Tae posted:

It's going to be Curry, there's a difference between who "should" win and who will win based on decades of how sports writers vote on these things.

Anthony Davis isn't sniffing the top 3 votes for MVP. He could have the greatest season ever outside of Wilt and it doesn't matter because his team isn't even in the playoffs.

Davis will probably get third but not many people are voting him #1. I think Curry would be my vote because of his numbers and how crisp that GSW offense runs in general with him at the helm.

Faxanadu
Apr 18, 2003

Vertical Lime posted:

I expected this and yet it still hurts. Ugh. Ah well. Next year will be something.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Vertical Lime posted:

Get well, Mister Bosh.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Libertine posted:

Just going off that, who do you guys think is the MVP front-runner?

http://www.basketball-reference.com/friv/mvp.cgi

Jimmy Butler 2.1% chance.

rabidsquid posted:

This makes him sound like an assassin or serial killer, and I look forward to finding out who Manute Bol never managed to kill.

He sticks out way too much to excel in either of those fields. Ten foot tall aliens are too conspicuous.

BWV posted:

How is "bruh" pronounced. Is it closer to brew or braw?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJxJZk1xH5k&feature=youtu.be&t=44s

Igor Strelkov posted:

I'm not sure that limiting your breathing really replicates high altitude training, they say it does, but I've ridden a bike in colorado and it didn't feel like riding a bike with the mask on.

Hahaha that's like the most bogus anecdotal review ever, but you know what I'm saying.

The latest in NBA training:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqTzZSRxVY0

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Kevin Durant is sitting tonight and Mo Williams is starting for Charlotte, so Russell Westbrook is probably going for 50,000 points

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

morestuff posted:

Kevin Durant is sitting tonight and Mo Williams is starting for Charlotte, so Russell Westbrook is probably going for 50,000 points

the real mvp

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
The Warriors splits with Curry on/off the floor are crazy. He's not carrying the team the same way as Harden is carrying HOU, but he's the reason they're so good. Their offense generally looks like poo poo without him.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

quote:

sptguy33
1 hour ago
Sunday 7pm ESPN - Just Kobe co-hosting the Grantland Basketball Hour with me and Jalen for the whole show, no biggie.

Kobe is going to kill a man on TV.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Vertical Lime posted:

Life will find a way.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

:stare:

Please Eat A Vegetable
Jun 26, 2002
Lord of Primate Booty

Vertical Lime posted:

Sucks. Hope he's back next season.

Also, looks like the Rockets dodged a bullet this off season.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

I'm estatic that I dont have to see the freakouts after every loss from my friends here on Something Awful

Just wait until Harden goes off for 50 tonight.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Vertical Lime posted:

Come on down #11 draft pick

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Spite posted:

Their offense generally looks like poo poo without him.
Eh, I think the bench offense has looked a lot better since Lee got back into his groove and Kerr started playing Barbosa over Holiday again. He's also doing a better job of staggering the Splash Bros. minutes so there isn't a lot of time where neither of them are on the floor.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
So how hosed up is Durant's foot? Is he going to gently caress himself up permanently by playing? Big dudes that have foot problems they don't take care of have a scary track record.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Spite posted:

So how hosed up is Durant's foot? Is he going to gently caress himself up permanently by playing? Big dudes that have foot problems they don't take care of have a scary track record.

I have a sad feeling that he is going to gently caress it up by playing because he's dumb. All athletes are dumb about injuries and thats why they shouldn't have any say in if they get to play.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

SirMonkeyButt posted:

Sucks. Hope he's back next season.

He's probably going to be a lot worse without the steroids though.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

I like it here because the freakouts aren't bad. Us Rockets fans had a good freakout last night which resulted in several posts calling Jason Terry names and me whining about Ariza. Read a normal fan board after a bad loss and like every other person is calling for everyone to be fired and quitting the fandom forever.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Vertical Lime posted:

ESPN replaced the Knicks-Lakers game on Super Bowl Sunday with celebrity bowling

Next year's scheduling for national games is going to be very interesting

I wonder if the poor ratings will pressure the league to roll back the cap restrictions that allow big market teams to spend ridiculous amounts of money. Parity kneels before profitability, I assume.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"
Kendrick Perkins is a confirmed Cav :toot:

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

duodenum posted:

I wonder if the poor ratings will pressure the league to roll back the cap restrictions that allow big market teams to spend ridiculous amounts of money. Parity kneels before profitability, I assume.

The league just extended its television contract through 2025, they aren't feeling any pressure

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

morestuff posted:

The league just extended its television contract through 2025, they aren't feeling any pressure

And the big market teams have been just as capped by the new CBA, anyway.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

chunkles posted:

I like it here because the freakouts aren't bad. Us Rockets fans had a good freakout last night which resulted in several posts calling Jason Terry names and me whining about Ariza. Read a normal fan board after a bad loss and like every other person is calling for everyone to be fired and quitting the fandom forever.

poo poo, it's like that after every single possible loss for the Pels. Down three of your top six and lose the Clippers by five in a close game? Fire/trade everyone, it was winnable.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Boo, Shabazz out for the year:

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Kibner posted:

Boo, Shabazz out for the year:

That blows, he took a nice step forward this year.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

straight up brolic posted:

Jalen Rose dvrs The O'Reilly Factor and his favorite book is "Rich Dad Poor Dad".

This changes my opinion on him

Hate the man for his stupid little bat

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

Kendrick Perkins is a confirmed Cav :toot:

drat, all of a sudden Cleveland is 10 deep (Perkins, Thompson, Shumpert, Dellavedova, the remains of Miller/Marion/Jones).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Lockback posted:

That blows, he took a nice step forward this year.

Want to hear some more depressing injury news? Anthony Davis just went to the locker room after destroying his shoulder (again) when jumping into Whiteside's chest. He looked very much in pain and couldn't even get into the next possession.

• Locked thread