Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

howe_sam posted:

Americans by far.

Absolutely, Elizabeth and Phillip Jennings are the MASTERS of disguise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
When did they say Oliver was getting a new costume, unless that costume contains a Van Dyke I will not accept it.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hollismason posted:

When did they say Oliver was getting a new costume, unless that costume contains a Van Dyke I will not accept it.

He said it on a panel at dallas comic con, just a couple of weeks ago

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Ah, I didn't see the extended preview. That sounds much better. At this point I'm in full tin foil hat theory.

I'm still holding out hope that the omega "virus" is the same stuff Tatsu used to heal Oliver, though.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I wasn't a fan of seeing more Slade this past episode. I like the actor and I think the character was a drat fine villain, but he started to rub me the wrong way towards the end of the last season and I was glad to see him get locked up. It's kind of like a "too much of a good thing" syndrome. (I tried to start watching Spartacus and I just couldn't do it because his performance is basically the same there.)

I'm starting to have the same reaction towards Malcolm. He was great when he was scarce, because it made him mysterious. You could never tell how he was manipulating people and why. It was a big part of the character's allure for me. Lately though all of his cards have been on the table, we find out that his overall plan is just flat out stupid, and that he never deserved to be on the pedestal that we placed him on. And the whole family drama triangle between him, Thea and Ollie is dragging out like a Brazillian soap opera.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I think superheroes might not be for you.

Supervillain plans are always absurd, and relationship drama being soap-opera as gently caress is par for the course.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

enraged_camel posted:

(I tried to start watching Spartacus and I just couldn't do it because his performance is basically the same there.)

All your opinions are officially null and void now. Might as well keep them to a minimum.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

enraged_camel posted:

I wasn't a fan of seeing more Slade this past episode. I like the actor and I think the character was a drat fine villain, but he started to rub me the wrong way towards the end of the last season and I was glad to see him get locked up. It's kind of like a "too much of a good thing" syndrome. (I tried to start watching Spartacus and I just couldn't do it because his performance is basically the same there.)

Slade's appearance was worth it if only for the way he can't help but be impressed by Thea even as he's getting the poo poo kicked out of him.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Rocksicles posted:

All your opinions are officially null and void now. Might as well keep them to a minimum.

Watch Spartacus, and then watch The Arrow Season 2. I dare you to find any significant differences between his performances.

Same tone of voice, same facial expressions, even the same type of character (a little crazy in the head, barely keeping his killer side in check, etc.). Indeed, the only real difference is that he's wearing clothes in The Arrow and is mostly naked in Spartacus.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

JohnSherman posted:

Slade's appearance was worth it if only for the way he can't help but be impressed by Thea even as he's getting the poo poo kicked out of him.

Thea for new Ravager? Y/N?

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
If you're gonna watch this show or The Flash, you should probably watch Spartacus and Prison Break because there are a lot of the same actors. My personal favorite is one that hasn't happened yet The Bringer of Rain as the second Weather Wizard!

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

Gaz-L posted:

I think superheroes might not be for you.

Supervillain plans are always absurd, and relationship drama being soap-opera as gently caress is par for the course.

It's not the absurdity of Malcom's plan that's annoying. It's the fact that his goal is to not get killed. That's pretty tame and boring, so far. Maybe we'll find out that Malcom's real goal is to take over a Lazarus pit so he can live forever and bring back Tommy or something. I think the subplot of the Omega might bring some credible threat, but right now that's not clear. Last season, Blood was clearly up to no good before Slade showed up.

AbsolutelySane
Jul 2, 2012

enraged_camel posted:

Watch Spartacus, and then watch The Arrow Season 2. I dare you to find any significant differences between his performances.

Same tone of voice, same facial expressions, even the same type of character (a little crazy in the head, barely keeping his killer side in check, etc.). Indeed, the only real difference is that he's wearing clothes in The Arrow and is mostly naked in Spartacus.

He's got a rather distinct voice. Hell, it was hard to disguise when he was a fully CGI Orc that didn't speak a lick of English through three movies. Manu Bennett is suited to a certain kind of role, and there's nothing wrong with that. Not every actor has a lot of range, but there are a lot of differences between Crixus and Slade Wilson. Chief among them is that Crixus is not actually batshit insane, just loving stubborn. Sorry it prevents you from watching an awesome show.

That aside, I did occasionally expect Peter Mensah to show up as Martian Manhunter and bellow, "Slade! What is this madness?"

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

AbsolutelySane posted:

He's got a rather distinct voice. Hell, it was hard to disguise when he was a fully CGI Orc that didn't speak a lick of English through three movies. Manu Bennett is suited to a certain kind of role, and there's nothing wrong with that. Not every actor has a lot of range, but there are a lot of differences between Crixus and Slade Wilson. Chief among them is that Crixus is not actually batshit insane, just loving stubborn. Sorry it prevents you from watching an awesome show.

That aside, I did occasionally expect Peter Mensah to show up as Martian Manhunter and bellow, "Slade! What is this madness?"

Am I the only one who wants Peter Mensah to play Walter's supervillain brother?

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
I was so glad when Thea actually shot Slade; she had every right to, since he killed her mother and then tried to murder her. It's about time that familiar scene played out differently. That's what the 8,000th YOU'RE NOT A KILLLERRRR speech Ollie's thrown at everyone since the show began? Just a shame Slade didn't die.

gnomewife
Oct 24, 2010

Captain Mog posted:

I was so glad when Thea actually shot Slade; she had every right to, since he killed her mother and then tried to murder her. It's about time that familiar scene played out differently. That's what the 8,000th YOU'RE NOT A KILLLERRRR speech Ollie's thrown at everyone since the show began? Just a shame Slade didn't die.

The problem is Manu Bennett. He's so drat charismatic, why would you kill his character off? However, Slade is immortal? in the comic books, and even though they've moved away from his being super-powered, they could still have squirreled a way there. But not in the middle of a season.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

AGirlWonder posted:

The problem is Manu Bennett. He's so drat charismatic, why would you kill his character off? However, Slade is immortal? in the comic books, and even though they've moved away from his being super-powered, they could still have squirreled a way there. But not in the middle of a season.

In the comic books, he has a low powered healing factor which was part of the Mirakuru.

gnomewife
Oct 24, 2010
I mean, he drops dead of a heart attack (on TV!) and gets killed a few more times in Deathstroke. That was the 90s, though. I don't know if they've killed him since like 2000.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
That was kinda... underwhelming. It's really obvious the Hong Kong flashbacks are really dragging this season down, as well as a specific Big Bad that makes his presence felt all throughout different episodes. Is the actor they got for Ra's really expensive or something? We've only seen him like, twice I think.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

AGirlWonder posted:

I mean, he drops dead of a heart attack (on TV!) and gets killed a few more times in Deathstroke. That was the 90s, though. I don't know if they've killed him since like 2000.

I haven't followed Deathstroke recently but he doesn't have much of a defined character beyond "Possibly the best Mercenary in the world" and intensely disliked by many other heroes and villains. Prior to Flashpoint, he had never even been captured until Geoforce went on a vendetta and finally captured him by pinning himself to Deathstroke using his own swords through the chest.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Krad posted:

That was kinda... underwhelming. It's really obvious the Hong Kong flashbacks are really dragging this season down, as well as a specific Big Bad that makes his presence felt all throughout different episodes. Is the actor they got for Ra's really expensive or something? We've only seen him like, twice I think.

Yeah, the flashbacks have been pretty dull, because it feels like the writers/producers are stretching them on and on simply to stay within the "formula" of the show. I think one season of flashbacks on the island and another season as an ARGUS operative in Hong Kong would have been quite sufficient. Yeah, he was gone for five years, but I think it's OK to leave a lot of that out of the show if they can't find a way to make it interesting. What's worse is that it's starting to look like they will drag on even longer, because I'm pretty sure the general dude is going to renege on his promise to let Ollie return to Sterling City after the debrief (either that, or something will go wrong, etc.).

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
Also we still haven't seen when he learns to fight as well as he does, and learns to shoot as well as he does. I mean he was taught the basics on the island by Slade and Shadow, but at no point yet during the flashbacks has been taught well enough to reflect his current skill level, or even his return to starling city in season 1 skill level.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

McSpankWich posted:

Also we still haven't seen when he learns to fight as well as he does, and learns to shoot as well as he does. I mean he was taught the basics on the island by Slade and Shadow, but at no point yet during the flashbacks has been taught well enough to reflect his current skill level, or even his return to starling city in season 1 skill level.

We actually don't know his current skill level because there hasn't been any situations that called for him making quick precision shots like he does in the present. But we do know that he's good enough with bow and arrow to the point where he prefers them over guns, and he's reasonably good at making long-distance shots with unconventional arrows (e.g. the zipline arrow when breaking into that lab to steal the virus).

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'm pretty sure his 'debriefing' will turn into being drafted, and we'll get a montage of him being trained by the super-secret army guys.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Thinking about the last few episodes I feel like even a political novice could beat "the Mayor that gave up the Glades".

What I'm saying is Diggle 2016!

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The flashbacks should be done with. The cast is big enough you don't need them now. And did we really need a scene of Tommy asking Laurel out? It's not a big revelation, it didn't impact the present day at all, and it's something everyone knew. It was pointless.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Codependent Poster posted:

The flashbacks should be done with. The cast is big enough you don't need them now. And did we really need a scene of Tommy asking Laurel out? It's not a big revelation, it didn't impact the present day at all, and it's something everyone knew. It was pointless.

It had a ton of impact! I was all like, "oh yeah, those two were together! Wait, were they? I don't remember that, but I guess they must've been. Wait, did Tommy originally own Verdant? Am I making that up? I don't really remember, and it doesn't matter, because now there's a guy who can run so fast he goes back in time and the Atom is going to start fighting crime tomorrow while the Green Arrow prepares for a second shirtless battle with Ras Al Ghul, so a lot of that first season stuff doesn't seem super important"

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I've been saying that Amanda Waller has wanted to turn Oliver into a vigilante for months now. I have to imagine we're heading for Oliver being asked "Sure, you could return home. Untrained, unskilled, able to survive an island but unable to save your city. How about we give you those tools in exchange for X?"

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

boom boom boom posted:

It had a ton of impact! I was all like, "oh yeah, those two were together! Wait, were they? I don't remember that, but I guess they must've been. Wait, did Tommy originally own Verdant? Am I making that up? I don't really remember, and it doesn't matter, because now there's a guy who can run so fast he goes back in time and the Atom is going to start fighting crime tomorrow while the Green Arrow prepares for a second shirtless battle with Ras Al Ghul, so a lot of that first season stuff doesn't seem super important"

Not only was the Tommy and Laurel romance not important, it was also one of the most awful and cringe-worthy parts of Season 1.

Although the scene where Tommy is reprimanding Thea for buying drugs and she goes, "well, you're not my brother!" made me laugh.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

boom boom boom posted:

Ollie owned Verdant, he gave Tommy a job managing it.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
The best returning character in the flashbacks was stately Luthor Manor.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Drug Dealer neck snap was worth the flashback.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
I have a soft spot for Tommy because when he found out Ollie was the Hood he wasn't mad because Ollie lied to him, he was mad his best friend was a serial killer. And he got over it when more important things started happening. Then he died :smith:

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I will always love Tommy because he went from a spoiled rich brat to an actual functioning adult through the insane process of growing up, rather than having to be physically and emotionally tortured for half a decade.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Boogaleeboo posted:

I will always love Tommy because he went from a spoiled rich brat to an actual functioning adult through the insane process of growing up, rather than having to be physically and emotionally tortured for half a decade.

Except he didn't grow up by choice. He grew up only because daddy turned off the money faucet. If that had not happened, he would have been quite happy to remain a rich playboy for the rest of his life.

If he had woken up one day and said, "wait a minute, what am I doing with my life? I need to stop relying on my dad and learn how to support myself" and then stopped accepting Malcolm's money, then that would be something.

That said, he wasn't a bad character. He was actually likable, and had some admirable qualities. Unlike a certain someone.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Arrow's ability to turn Tommy from "lecherous terrible friend and hated character" to "relatable douchebag" to "dearly departed friend we grieve for" was goddamn remarkable. Its literally five episodes, executed drat near perfect.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Narcissus1916 posted:

Arrow's ability to turn Tommy from "lecherous terrible friend and hated character" to "relatable douchebag" to "dearly departed friend we grieve for" was goddamn remarkable. Its literally five episodes, executed drat near perfect.

My name is Tommy Merlyn, after five episodes in hell...

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Narcissus1916 posted:

When was tommy a terrible friend and hated character?

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

enraged_camel posted:

When was tommy a terrible friend and hated character?

From episode one to like fifteen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
What the hell happened to River Song who's name I do not remember and never will. Like did she die or get de mirakued?

• Locked thread