Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
krystal.lynn
Mar 8, 2007

Good n' Goomy
What's a good early game bow? Everything in my purview currently is unable to take advantage of Power Coatings. Kut-ku? Upgrade the Hunter's Bow a few times? I can almost craft the Nescylla bow which can't use Power Coating but does have a Power shot.

I'm running around in Tetsucabra armor which I think is fine for now.

Speak slowly, I've never played Monster Hunter before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Crown Face posted:

That's amazing and I want it.

What pieces are those?

Skull Helm, Azure Rath waist, 2 slot charm. The rest is Garuga S, use gems as necessary.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Kanpachi posted:

What's a good early game bow? Everything in my purview currently is unable to take advantage of Power Coatings. Kut-ku? Upgrade the Hunter's Bow a few times? I can almost craft the Nescylla bow which can't use Power Coating but does have a Power shot.

I'm running around in Tetsucabra armor which I think is fine for now.

Speak slowly, I've never played Monster Hunter before.

Maybe go to the Man and forge some decorations to get a skill that gives you powercoat+, which means all your bows will have powercoat.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
The first real toothless fight is kicking my rear end. I'm a GS user and I'm stil in the starting set. What's a good armor set/ GS to use?

Indigo Cephalopods
Oct 26, 2012

Justice Rains From Above
Who's the rear end in a top hat that decided to make the first tigrex you fight a frenzied one? That was brutal.

krystal.lynn
Mar 8, 2007

Good n' Goomy

chaos rhames posted:

Maybe go to the Man and forge some decorations to get a skill that gives you powercoat+, which means all your bows will have powercoat.

Wouldn't I need 10 of them for this to work?

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Is there something that shows a list of weapon branches in a more condensed form than Kiranico? List on its weapon page is a bit too spread out to see it all at a glance for any given weapon.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Kanpachi posted:

You'd need 5 since each decoration of this gives 2, but looking a bit closer at it the Tetsucabra armor doesn't have enough slots so you'll have to try that with a different one.

try the kut-ku and zamtrios bows. They've both got power coat and are pretty easy to make.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Farg posted:

The first real toothless fight is kicking my rear end. I'm a GS user and I'm stil in the starting set. What's a good armor set/ GS to use?

It took me at least 30 seconds to figure out which monster you meant. Tetsucabra armor is great for low rank because of the defense and health.

Kanpachi posted:

At lower ranks, yes. Skill gems eventually start coming in +2 and +3, and you can also score a talisman that will boost your skill sometimes up and over 6 or 7.

krystal.lynn
Mar 8, 2007

Good n' Goomy

chaos rhames posted:

You'd need 5 since each decoration of this gives 2, but looking a bit closer at it the Tetsucabra armor doesn't have enough slots so you'll have to try that with a different one.

try the kut-ku and zamtrios bows. They've both got power coat and are pretty easy to make.

I'll grind towards those then. thanks~

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Oh right, when does the village start selling potions? Gathering is boring as gently caress :( (just killed Tetsu)

e: I'll just google this poo poo, nevermind

Meowywitch fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Feb 21, 2015

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Why are people so bad at Pink Rathian? I'm not great or anything but come on people.

Rarden
May 20, 2012

Indigo Cephalopods posted:

Who's the rear end in a top hat that decided to make the first tigrex you fight a frenzied one? That was brutal.

Never mind frenzied Tigrex, HR Caravan throws a frenzied Deviljho at you and makes it a key quest. That was a nice :stonklol: moment.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Ethiser posted:

Why are people so bad at Pink Rathian? I'm not great or anything but come on people.

that stupid tail in the air fucks me up still it goes weirdly sideways.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
[quote="Ethiser" post="441859480"]
[/quote

A lot of people are just rushing though and have really poo poo gear and haven't gotten any of the optional offline stuff. The number of people doing HR stuff with their Palicoe dressed up in the generic outfit wearing unpgraded mismatched LR armor is ridiculously high. And the ones that do have HR gear usually have stuff that's ridiculously weak to fire, which means enraged Rathian can one-shot them with about a third of her attacks. And Pink Rathian is a pretty big damage jump up from everything else in HR to that point.

I cobbled myself out a set of weird franken-armor from the poo poo I had laying around after I had some issues with the fight the first times I tried it and it got so much easier. Even if I look stupid as gently caress. (Tetsu S helm, Monoblos Armor, Tetsu S arms, Gyceperos Faulds, Tetsu S legs) at least I have Sharpener, Water res +15 and Attack up M.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Volt Catfish posted:

Oh right, when does the village start selling potions? Gathering is boring as gently caress :( (just killed Tetsu)

e: I'll just google this poo poo, nevermind

After the urgent quest in the second village you get to buy them once you get to third one. Did you get the free DLC care package from the Felyne in your house? Those Mega Potions lasted me JUST til they become available in stores, the timing was perfect

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Actually, I skimmed the OP and didn't see it so it may already be there and I am missing it like a giant boob, but that aforementioned starter pack should probably be stuck in the OP, right? It comes with, most importantly, a Luigi costume for the cat

and I didn't even know it existed until now

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The worst thing about online is that it seems like maybe 1 in 4 people is obsessed with mounting to the exclusion of all else. Most of the time they're not even using a glaive. They just spend the entire fight climbing up pillars or jumping across stalactites. I've generally had pretty good experiences so far though. I got in a group that managed to beat that S. Zinogre and B. Tigrex arena fight without even realizing it was an arena when we took the quest.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Ethiser posted:

Both the pink and blue Raths are generally faster to recover from their moves than the traditional species. A lot of people hunt the Rathian, then go hunt Pink, and are caught off guard by the faster cycling of moves and the additional moves to read.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Got around to fighting S Magala, 3 carves? Really?

Chumpy
Dec 28, 2008

Nap Ghost
So the one major complaint I have thus far is that you can't up your guild rank by joining someone else's Urgent. Even if you have the Urgent yourself you have to accept the quest from the guild marm for it to count towards your rank up.

It wouldn't normally be a problem if I could reliably get some people into a lobby. I'll probably have to hit up the goon irc to make these happen in the future... which honestly is probably the best way to play anyhow. It took four different groups to finish my HR2 Urgent because pubbies kept taking enraged purple blasts to the face. :suicide:

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i just singlehandedly kill an elder dragon and this idiot ace cadet is still somehow my boss? im gonna have to have a talk with the guild master

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Chumpy posted:

It wouldn't normally be a problem if I could reliably get some people into a lobby.
it can take awhile for your newly created lobby to filter to the front of the list i think

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I just killed a dragon made entirely of rocks :eyepop:
Man the monsters in these games are crazier than in 3G

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

sitchelin posted:

Got around to fighting S Magala, 3 carves? Really?

I thought the same thing when I killed my first one

Capcom being stingy with the elder dragon carves

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Chumpy posted:

So the one major complaint I have thus far is that you can't up your guild rank by joining someone else's Urgent. Even if you have the Urgent yourself you have to accept the quest from the guild marm for it to count towards your rank up.

It wouldn't normally be a problem if I could reliably get some people into a lobby. I'll probably have to hit up the goon irc to make these happen in the future... which honestly is probably the best way to play anyhow. It took four different groups to finish my HR2 Urgent because pubbies kept taking enraged purple blasts to the face. :suicide:

This was an issue I had in MH3/3U as well. It was incredibly annoying to basically have to do the same urgent 4+ times between people dying, joining and leaving, and helping each other out. I mean, kudos to the people who stuck around to help other guys out with their urgent but yeah.

It was always funny to see someone join, get their urgent done, then pop up with "gtg <excuse> bye" because they got their poo poo so they were getting out.

Jueg01
Jan 26, 2015
I'm about to fight Tigrex. Hope my Great Sword experience from Freedom Unite pays off. :black101

Calaveron posted:

They've been around since at least 2G/FU. Capcom just now got around to bringing them back.

Jueg01 fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Feb 22, 2015

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Question for you Hunting Horn/Hammer/Bowgun folks: How do you deal with not cutting tails?

I like my HBGs, they're cool. I love my Hunting Horns too. I only have one Gore Magala feeler, so I was thinking about upgrading to the Gore HH to mess up Rathians, until I remembered tails. I played 3U with Lances and Longswords, so I think I would have an existential crisis if I fought a tailed monster without cutting it off and carving it. It's an extra chance at Plates/ect, not to mention the tail itself. Do you all just make something else to fight with when you need something from a tail? Or just deal without it? I can't imagine a life like that. :ohdear:

Note: I know about Slicing Shot, but I am not horn-poking tails off. Gotta bring the Lance.

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

We meet again Tigrex, my arch-nemesis.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
How do you delete friends on the 3ds? Maybe I'm dumb but I can't seem to find the option anywhere. I've got a bunch of people that haven't logged in in forever clogging up my list and don't feel like scrolling through 10 pages every time I'm looking for the 4 people I know who play monhun

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Good Citizen posted:

How do you delete friends on the 3ds? Maybe I'm dumb but I can't seem to find the option anywhere. I've got a bunch of people that haven't logged in in forever clogging up my list and don't feel like scrolling through 10 pages every time I'm looking for the 4 people I know who play monhun

Perhaps it's not that they haven't logged in in forever, but that they removed you long ago? :ssh:

(As far as I remember, you select settings in friends, and go to "Delete Friend Card")

Jueg01
Jan 26, 2015

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Question for you Hunting Horn/Hammer/Bowgun folks: How do you deal with not cutting tails?

Depends on what you're going for.

If you need tails, it's quicker to use a bladed weapon to greatly increase your odds of getting one.
For plates, anyone making Rath gear will tell you that you're going to be in it for the long haul, so its more efficient just to kill/trap the monster as fast as possible than worrying about breaking and cutting everything on each hunt.

Of course, the best solution to both is to go in a group.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I have two Lances I'm working on, one is currently Ice elemental and one is currently Water elemental. They've both reached branches. I could keep going Ice or switch to Poison, and keep going Water or switch to Thunder. My current gut tells me to go Ice and Thunder but I'm not entirely sure. What do you guys think?

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
Come on Yian Garuga. It has been like 15 hunts, all with your stupid lovely high resistance to my bullet damage. All I want is one wing. Your body mass is like 40% wings. Just give me a loving wing and I'll leave you alone.

Why won't you give me a wing.
Where the gently caress are you hiding your wings you awful joy vampire
why am i still doing this :aaaaa:

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

And, where there is treasure, there will be Air Pirates.

Calaveron posted:

If you mean Gravios/Basarios they date all the way back to the original Monster Hunter on PS2. Ditto Yian Kut-Ku, Gypceros, Khezu, one of the Fatalises, Kirin...quite a few of the monsters in this version, in fact.

Come to think of it, I'm pretty sure the only original monsters not returning in this game are Lao-Shan Lung and Plesioth.

Mr. Vile fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Feb 22, 2015

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
After Guard Lancing my way through Tri (Wii), almost a year playing Frontier, then not playing anything for two years, I just struggled my way into a 22-minute low-rank Gore kill for the Caravan Urgent. After being carted once. In Tetsu armor gemmed to +50 Health.

Granted, I was doing it while still learning the Charge Blade much like everyone else, but I have discovered that I am bad at Monster Hunter and, quite possibly, may have never been good at Monster Hunter. I got that same kind of feeling after my first few stints with Rathian and Barioth back in Tri. And that feeling is a good one, because now I'm motivated to chain hunt Gore Magala until it is my bitch.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Why do I miss doing volcano runs for charms. I had it down to a science

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

gigawhite posted:

Why do I miss doing volcano runs for charms. I had it down to a science

I miss them, too.

Also: what is the actual use of the slickaxe? I understand that it multiplies certain items, but is it actually worth trying to get them?

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Colapops posted:

I miss them, too.

Also: what is the actual use of the slickaxe? I understand that it multiplies certain items, but is it actually worth trying to get them?

It multiplies various crafting components (ores, armor spheres, bugs etc.). They're really useful for duplicating rare mats but given how hard they are to find, it's probably not worth actively farming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

The Moon Monster posted:

The worst thing about online is that it seems like maybe 1 in 4 people is obsessed with mounting to the exclusion of all else. Most of the time they're not even using a glaive. They just spend the entire fight climbing up pillars or jumping across stalactites. I've generally had pretty good experiences so far though. I got in a group that managed to beat that S. Zinogre and B. Tigrex arena fight without even realizing it was an arena when we took the quest.

This is me. There's just a wall of Alarumklok: I mounted it! every time I play. SnS is the mountiest poo poo ever, I'm not even doing it on purpose.

• Locked thread