Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Kimmalah posted:

:what:

The writing in both was loving terrible. Homecoming in particular was basically just a movie tie-in game with different forgettable characters.

I disagree. I would say that they are poorly written, but not bad by any stretch. Homecoming and Downpour are heralded as the worst Silent Hill games but they still have a coherent story with an interesting twist. The sacrificial nature of the Shepherd's Glen founding families is really cool and the game explores it in a way that is in-depth and interesting; the player learns early on who the founding families are and it's easy to discern what their forms of sacrifice were, but they keep it vague enough that you can't just guess the whole story until you see the various members get their comeuppance. Despite my complaint about it not taking place in Silent Hill, probably my favorite thing about Homecoming's story is that it's self-contained. They don't drag in elements from other games in the series that don't have to be there like 4 did. The rumor that 4 was a separate horror game first and Silent Hill second is false but it may as well have been true, just because everything came with an added "oh by the way remember Silent Hill" on the end.

The way the story wraps around on itself at the end (depending on what ending you get anyway) is awesome and none of the other games in the series do it that way. It brings itself to the logical conclusion of Alex either a) escaping his own demons and his family's or b) becoming a part of the curse and being sacrificed and doesn't overstay its welcome. They took a plot twist that would've been commonplace if you played Silent Hill 2 (Alex kills family member, sets off the plot of the game) and made it into something interesting and unique. Most of the Silent Hill fans who played the game were so mad about their misuse of ol' Pyramid Head that they did not stop to consider that the story itself is actually pretty good (though the execution might be a bit lacking).

I guess what I mean to say is that neither game is particularly good but Homecoming is really, really not as bad as people give it poo poo for.

Plus, Downpour and Homecoming are the only two games in the entire series where a character sees the crazy Silent Hill poo poo happen and goes "AAAAH WHAT THE gently caress IS GOING ON" instead of mumbling to themselves about how strange it all is.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 21:21 on Feb 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

To each their own I guess, but they're really bad and boring storylines. Mostly boring.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

MindlessHavok posted:

Every outpost has a high hill next to it. Get a silence sniper rifle, take out the alarms then take out the soldiers. Even if you don't like being sneaky like that it's the easiest way to take them undetected.

This is what I ended up doing, I just had to unlock the second rifle. The SVD cannot accommodate a silencer.

The other thing dragging Far Cry 4 down is that the high-mountain Blood Ruby mission has a major performance hit. I'm running a rig with an i5-4650 @ 3.5GHz, 8GB of RAM, and a GTX 970, and the game runs really well, except in the Himalayan section.

Inco has a new favorite as of 22:02 on Feb 21, 2015

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Kimmalah posted:

To each their own I guess, but they're really bad and boring storylines. Mostly boring.

The LP of Homecoming done a few years back really showed off what a lazy hack job it was under the recycled IP, right down to a number of art assets being outright traced from LOST character portraits. It's impossible to defend the thing if you have any kind of sense.

I mean, the awful rhyming flavor text alone damns it.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

CJacobs posted:

I disagree. I would say that they are poorly written, but not bad by any stretch. Homecoming and Downpour are heralded as the worst Silent Hill games but they still have a coherent story with an interesting twist. The sacrificial nature of the Shepherd's Glen founding families is really cool and the game explores it in a way that is in-depth and interesting; the player learns early on who the founding families are and it's easy to discern what their forms of sacrifice were, but they keep it vague enough that you can't just guess the whole story until you see the various members get their comeuppance. Despite my complaint about it not taking place in Silent Hill, probably my favorite thing about Homecoming's story is that it's self-contained. They don't drag in elements from other games in the series that don't have to be there like 4 did. The rumor that 4 was a separate horror game first and Silent Hill second is false but it may as well have been true, just because everything came with an added "oh by the way remember Silent Hill" on the end.

The way the story wraps around on itself at the end (depending on what ending you get anyway) is awesome and none of the other games in the series do it that way. It brings itself to the logical conclusion of Alex either a) escaping his own demons and his family's or b) becoming a part of the curse and being sacrificed and doesn't overstay its welcome. They took a plot twist that would've been commonplace if you played Silent Hill 2 (Alex kills family member, sets off the plot of the game) and made it into something interesting and unique. Most of the Silent Hill fans who played the game were so mad about their misuse of ol' Pyramid Head that they did not stop to consider that the story itself is actually pretty good (though the execution might be a bit lacking).

I guess what I mean to say is that neither game is particularly good but Homecoming is really, really not as bad as people give it poo poo for.

Plus, Downpour and Homecoming are the only two games in the entire series where a character sees the crazy Silent Hill poo poo happen and goes "AAAAH WHAT THE gently caress IS GOING ON" instead of mumbling to themselves about how strange it all is.

Yeah, the core storyline and the ending twist were both just fine. I'm sure that if you had all the dialogue written and translated by non-native English speakers and read by whatever random Americans they were able to get their hands on like the classic games most hardcore Silent Hill fans would be praising it.

Oxxidation posted:

right down to a number of art assets being outright traced from LOST character portraits

This makes it pretty true to the IP then, since the original Silent Hill lifted a lot of its characters and locations from random movies and actors since they were a small team of Japanese dudes making a game set in America and that was their only reliable source of reference material in the late 90s.

Kaufman is literally just Michael Madsen and the elementary school is composited from the sets of Kindergarten Cop, for example.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Oxxidation posted:

The LP of Homecoming done a few years back really showed off what a lazy hack job it was under the recycled IP, right down to a number of art assets being outright traced from LOST character portraits. It's impossible to defend the thing if you have any kind of sense.

I mean, the awful rhyming flavor text alone damns it.

This, however, I will not argue in any way. God drat the graphics suck. But the monster design is kinda cool!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Sleeveless posted:

Yeah, the core storyline and the ending twist were both just fine. I'm sure that if you had all the dialogue written and translated by non-native English speakers and read by whatever random Americans they were able to get their hands on like the classic games most hardcore Silent Hill fans would be praising it.

This makes it pretty true to the IP then, since the original Silent Hill lifted a lot of its characters and locations from random movies and actors since they were a small team of Japanese dudes making a game set in America and that was their only reliable source of reference material in the late 90s.

Kaufman is literally just Michael Madsen and the elementary school is composited from the sets of Kindergarten Cop, for example.

I'd get pissed off at you for the snide jab at SH2 but that tidbit is hilarious to know.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Sleeveless posted:

This stuff becomes less of a big deal when the plot is actually good and not total garbage.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Classic Silent Hill games don't really have great plots either. The franchise thrives on the setting, lore and characters.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Sleeveless posted:

This is amazing.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

RyokoTK posted:

Classic Silent Hill games don't really have great plots either. The franchise thrives on the setting, lore and characters.

I like this. "Silent Hill plots are bad except for everything that makes up a plot, which is good."

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
You'll notice that the part I left out is the part where poo poo actually happens.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Kimmalah posted:

I like this. "Silent Hill plots are bad except for everything that makes up a plot, which is good."

What? Haven't you ever seen something where you liked the writing but you can't even describe what the Actual Main Plot was?

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

mycot posted:

This is amazing.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

JESUS loving CHRIST :stare:

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Just be glad you don't have to deal with any tormented or demented versions of Arnold Schwarzenegger...

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

In Skyrim, I have a small army of people who will drop everything and follow me into danger at a moment's notice - but only if none of the others are coming too. I understand the logistical, gameplay and technological limitations, but it kind of makes having so many of them completely pointless. I could swap them around, but Jordis already has the best weapons and armour I had spare, and she's carrying some stuff for me that would be a pain to switch over. It would be really nice if you could send them to run errands or something at least, even if you can't bring more than one with you at a time.

Also, is it just me or are dragons pissweak in this game? A bandit leader with a magic weapon can still kill me if I'm not careful, but when a dragon shows up I just stand there and shoot lightning at it until it dies. Their attacks do gently caress all. Even an ordinary bear is more of a threat.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Dragons can get really nasty later in the game as you approach level 50, but their scaling definitely seems off compared to a lot of other enemies.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Tiggum posted:

In Skyrim, I have a small army of people who will drop everything and follow me into danger at a moment's notice - but only if none of the others are coming too. I understand the logistical, gameplay and technological limitations, but it kind of makes having so many of them completely pointless. I could swap them around, but Jordis already has the best weapons and armour I had spare, and she's carrying some stuff for me that would be a pain to switch over. It would be really nice if you could send them to run errands or something at least, even if you can't bring more than one with you at a time.

Also, is it just me or are dragons pissweak in this game? A bandit leader with a magic weapon can still kill me if I'm not careful, but when a dragon shows up I just stand there and shoot lightning at it until it dies. Their attacks do gently caress all. Even an ordinary bear is more of a threat.

If you're doing the Hearthfire houses, you can always make someone like Jordis your steward. Which means they can do all kinds of things that make building the place much less of a pain in the rear end.

As for dragons, they are kind of wimpy until you get to the level of stuff like ancient and legendary dragons which can kill you very easily. It's kind of a weird leveling curve.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Hahaha that's hilarious, but the best part is how they needed text for the dog poster so they went with "DOG KILL CAT".

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

gay skull posted:

Hahaha that's hilarious, but the best part is how they needed text for the dog poster so they went with "DOG KILL CAT".

I know in Silent Hill 2 they took a lot of character names from various movies as well (Angela came from "The Net" for instance).

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Tiggum posted:

UFO or something like it is for you, where you can have up to 8 followers or whatever, and match them to your level, and re-equip them however you want.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

moosecow333 posted:

Just be glad you don't have to deal with any tormented or demented versions of Arnold Schwarzenegger...

Imagine Pyramid Head screaming, "GET HIT BY MY CHOPPAH! EAUGH!" in Arnold's voice.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The way progression in the online section of monster hunter is handled is a pain in the rear end. You have to do a bunch of quests to unlock an "urgent" quest, this part is fine. But unlike every other quest in the game simply being in the group when an urgent is completed doesn't count as you completing it. You have to be the one who started the quest. So if you have 4 people you'll have to run it 4 times in a row to get it finished for everyone.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

"With what we have taken, we can make the ship stronger captain"

SHUT THE gently caress UP ADEWALE

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Monster Hunter 4 sometimes seems like it's actively trying to keep you from having fun progressing in it. There's a mechanic in the game where monsters can have parts of them rendered useless or hacked off by doing enough damage to that part of their body, and that's really cool, and I wish more games did that, but the annoying thing about it is that breaking off the part of the monster does not guarantee you that part will drop. If I break a monster's face and a chunk of bone flies off, I only have a 35% chance of that chunk of bone actually being added to my inventory, and that's dumb as poo poo. That means that I have a random chance to encounter the monster, a semi-random chance to break the part of it I need, and a random chance to actually get that part after I do so. That's not fun, that's tedious bullshit. I love the game so far but man they really really could not be more obvious with their carrot on a stick crap.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 23:42 on Feb 22, 2015

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Monster hunter is about grinding to get different gear to grind with to get different gear to grind with to get different gear to grind with. It's the most complex and difficult grinding game I've seen, but if the basic gameplay doesn't do it for you then it will never be worth the time, because what you work towards never really changes.

The dumbest thing I've ever tried to get in a game was a drop from the singleplayer end boss in monster hunter tri. It had a 2% chance to drop. It's a good thing it happened on like my third try because I'm not sure how stupid I was at the time and may have put hours into getting it had that not happened.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The thing dragging it down is not that there's a % chance to get the drop alone. The thing dragging it down is that I have to do something extra to even get the chance to get the drop even though, visually, I should get the drop every time.

edit: You could argue that stuff like that happens all the time in video games where the visual thing that happens doesn't correspond to the reaction, and you'd be right, but that doesn't make it okay in this case because it means I have to spend another 15-20 minutes trying again for the chance to get the chance to get the drop, which I won't even find out if I did successfully until the mission is over.

It's honestly a shame because I really like the game except for that part.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 23:59 on Feb 22, 2015

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

CJacobs posted:

The thing dragging it down is not that there's a % chance to get the drop alone. The thing dragging it down is that I have to do something extra to even get the chance to get the drop even though, visually, I should get the drop every time.

edit: You could argue that stuff like that happens all the time in video games where the visual thing that happens doesn't correspond to the reaction, and you'd be right, but that doesn't make it okay in this case because it means I have to spend another 15-20 minutes trying again for the chance to get the chance to get the drop, which I won't even find out if I did successfully until the mission is over.

It's not that there's a certain % you'll get something for breaking a part (at least if it works like 3U, I haven't played 4 yet). What happens is that you'll get an extra drop for breaking that part, which might be, like, a 35% chance of Part A, a 50% chance of Part B, and only a 15% chance of Part C.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Tiggum posted:

I have a mod that lets me have 100 followers. The game does not appreciate 100 skeletons in a small house. I think the game design was basically just "gently caress it, they'll mod it later" so you get weak dragons and a really limited follower system with awful AI. But then there are mods to make dragons horrible murder monsters and your followers slightly less dumb!

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Nuebot posted:

I think the game design was basically just "gently caress it, they'll mod it later" so you get weak dragons and a really limited follower system with awful AI.

The great majority of skyrim sales were for console versions and bethesda absolutely knew that would be the case. They definitely did not design the game intending for mods to fix things for most of the players.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 37 hours!
The thing getting me about Monster Hunter 4 (I'm loving it otherwise) is that while my enemies are often very fast, I am not. Player animations are very slow and uninterruptible, especially the really big ones that you're going to need to use to take down boss monsters, but they're far more mobile than you. They'll probably avoid your most dangerous attacks, and there's very little you can do about it.

I'm using Dual Blades right now, and despite being one of the fastest weapons it actually hurts pretty badly from this, since the big-ticket attacks are big, long flurries. If the monster decides to just move before you're done, you're left swinging at mid-air and probably wasting your Demon Mode. I had better luck with the Charge Blade, because at least the attacks came out quicker, but it's still a bit of a problem. And I can't really use a Charge Blade in the early-game because you can't make any beyond the default. I can't imagine how people using stuff like hammers and greatswords handle.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I'm late to the Shadow of Mordor party but some of these weaknesses are just awful. Maybe I'm bad (this is probably it) but I'm not quite sure how I'm supposed to attack a warchief in a stronghold when he's immune to combat attacks and finishers, steal takedowns, and can slay monsters faster. That leaves me with as far as i can tell quick throwing daggers or trying to do elf shot when a fortress worth of uruks is coming at me.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Len posted:

I'm late to the Shadow of Mordor party but some of these weaknesses are just awful. Maybe I'm bad (this is probably it) but I'm not quite sure how I'm supposed to attack a warchief in a stronghold when he's immune to combat attacks and finishers, steal takedowns, and can slay monsters faster. That leaves me with as far as i can tell quick throwing daggers or trying to do elf shot when a fortress worth of uruks is coming at me.

If he's afraid of anything then triggering his fear erases all of his immunities. So use that to your advantage.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Len posted:

Just wait until you get a bit better, so you can aggro him out of the stronghold. Then just use daggers or wraith stun for like 10 minutes and kill him that way. Yeah it's lovely but not impossible.

*just realized if he isn't immune to ranged, just plink him, hide, then plink him again until he's dead.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

CJacobs posted:

The real thing dragging it down is that its only on the 3ds. It makes sense to be on the 3ds in japan korea and china ( arguably the biggest market) but in the west throwing it up on the wii u would sell as much. Putting it on pc would make it sell for even more. Throwing it on all 4 consoles would be the best but I get the nintendo is footing the bill to localize so capcom is sticking with nintendo consoles.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

im pooping! posted:

UFO or something like it is for you, where you can have up to 8 followers or whatever, and match them to your level, and re-equip them however you want.

That looks like it does some things that I'd like, but also does some annoying things, and from what I could tell it's all or nothing, you can't pick which things you want. Besides, having eight people follow you into those cramped caves and buildings seems like more hassle than it's worth.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
FF14: Melee and moving mobs, particularly during fates and especially for boss fates. Imagine you're a melee class and want to repeatedly hit this boss until he stops moving and you get a bunch of experience. Now imagine some chode who the boss targets decides to constantly run circles, you have a really good chance at never hitting the loving boss as he is moving. At best the boss may stop do some charge up attack. And the best part is usually this is an archer or a bard who can move and attack at the same time so he is constantly adding more hate to himself bu constantly damaging it.

Not that this is only an issue with boss fates, even in fates where its just "kill a bunch of enemies" and there SHOULD be enough mobs spread out for everyone, one guy pulls every loving mob and goes "Oh poo poo, I will die!" and runs off and resets the god drat fight

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Tiggum posted:

That looks like it does some things that I'd like, but also does some annoying things, and from what I could tell it's all or nothing, you can't pick which things you want. Besides, having eight people follow you into those cramped caves and buildings seems like more hassle than it's worth.

I had a problem with one of the older versions of that mod where the character AI would just shut off, and all of sudden Lydia or whoever would just be standing there. You could talk to them, trade with them and so on, just they'd never move again.
While on Skyrim, it was funny how they handed the character Lydia early on and I never once saw a reason to swap her out with anyone else. 1st time through the game, I think she killed more enemies then my character did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some dumb idiot
Jun 6, 2012

Step by step
Hop the mountain
Step by step
Hop the ocean
Step by step
Hop the rainbow
I'll be running

snergle posted:

The real thing dragging it down is that its only on the 3ds. It makes sense to be on the 3ds in japan korea and china ( arguably the biggest market) but in the west throwing it up on the wii u would sell as much. Putting it on pc would make it sell for even more. Throwing it on all 4 consoles would be the best but I get the nintendo is footing the bill to localize so capcom is sticking with nintendo consoles.

Yes, sell as much on the console with a hilariously tiny user base, also they already did do that with MH3U that also had the advantage of online play whereas the 3DS version didn't and even then barely sold any copies in the west in comparison to the 3DS version.