Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Numlock posted:

Not really. :words:

Pretty much everything Numlock said. I play Soviets, and I learned pretty quickly that you cannot play a pure list (I assume that's the same for every army). You need some mech and probably some infantry (later on, at lower point levels it won't be a big deal) for recon and to rout out dug-in infantry.

My list is almost all T-34s of some flavor, with BA-64s and BA-10s with SMG/Flamethrower troops for recon and objective taking, and IS-2s or ISU-122s for Tiger-killing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Ugggghhh, riding to my game tonight and my backpack opened open from the wind. Everything I had so far for Bolt Action is now shattered into a million little pieces on the side of the interstate. Cool.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Edit: ^^^^^^^^^^^oooohhhhh nooooooooo^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hmm. That's all good advice, but I suppose my problem is translating it into the miniatures that I have right now, since the tournament is tomorrow. As of now, the models I can potentially use in Mid-War are:

-5 KV-1e (Could be proxied as KV-1s)
-1 KV-2
-5 T-70s
-15 T-34-76
-4 ISU-152s (Could be proxied as SU-152s(?))
-5 SU-100s (Could be proxied as SU-85s(?))
-4 Katyushas
-20 Rifle/MG stands
-9 SMG stands
-4 small command/observer bases

And roughly a billion Shermans from my Americans, along with 5 M5A1 Stuarts, which could be proxied as M3s without too much difficulty.

So while I should have Recon, the only way I can get it is if I take a Strelkovy Battalion and field Strelkovy recon teams, but that also severely limits the amount of tanks I can take, especially if I don't want to proxy anything (Not to mention the fact I'd have to pull apart some of my rifle bases to make more command teams). I wonder if I should maybe try to email the TO and ask if I could proxy T-70s as BA-64s? They were both used in a recon role (Which makes it kinda suprising you can't use them as such in FoW), and they're not wildly different sizes. Otherwise, I may try something along these lines:

pre:
Tank Company, Guards, from Eastern Front, page 188

Compulsory Tankovy Battalion HQ (p.189) - CinC T-34 obr 1941 or 1942 (95 pts)

Compulsory Medium Tankovy Company (p.190) - Command T-34 obr 1941 or 1942, 5x T-34 obr 1941 or 1942 (560 pts)

Compulsory Medium Tankovy Company (p.190) - Command T-34 obr 1941 or 1942, 5x T-34 obr 1941 or 1942 (560 pts)

Heavy Assault Gun Company (p.232) - Command SU-152, SU-152 (280 pts)

Sapper Company (p.234) - Command Pioneer Rifle, 5x Pioneer Rifle (120 pts)

Guards Rocket Mortar Battalion (p.236) - Command Rifle, Observer Rifle, 3-ton truck, Komissar, 2x BM-13 Katyusha (85 pts)
- 2x Equip Katyusha with additional crew (10 pts)

1710 Points, 5 Platoons
Edit: The purpose behind the Sapper company is to have a platoon that I can dig in around an objective, and I figured that Pioneers would at the very least offer a credible deterrent to assaulting tanks.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Feb 22, 2015

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Springfield Fatts posted:

Ugggghhh, riding to my game tonight and my backpack opened open from the wind. Everything I had so far for Bolt Action is now shattered into a million little pieces on the side of the interstate. Cool.

Bummer :/
I had that happen to me with groceries I'd (over)stuffed in the top once. Almost lost my work laptop in the bargain.

I ended up getting one of those armored shell style packs where it opens on the inside, so, even if the worst happens and you forget to zip it up or something, the flap is still pinned up by your back and the straps.

I found this one on sale at my local shop:
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/ogio-no-drag-mach-5-backpack?partner_site_id=128

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
SU-152s and ISU-152s are very similar visually, SU-85s and SU-100s less so but you can probably get away with it.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Bummer :/
I had that happen to me with groceries I'd (over)stuffed in the top once. Almost lost my work laptop in the bargain.

I ended up getting one of those armored shell style packs where it opens on the inside, so, even if the worst happens and you forget to zip it up or something, the flap is still pinned up by your back and the straps.

I found this one on sale at my local shop:
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/ogio-no-drag-mach-5-backpack?partner_site_id=128

Thanks, only two bright spots is this made me get off my rear end and order the Kriega R15 I've been saying I was gonna get for six months. And now I don't have to worry about the Wargames Factory guys looking wonky next to my Warlord stuff anymore! Silver linings...

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Oh god. I don't even know what to say dude. It's like if you lost a close loved one.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Numlock posted:

I think the only real reason to use the mixed Tankovy is to do the "LOL 30 T-26!!" thing. Otherwise you are probably better off running Tankovy, which has all the same options but more of them.
Untrue!

Another good reason is doing an entire mid-war Tankovy out of Zvezda plastics. Use BA-10s for recon and you can do the whole thing on the cheap and never touch Battlefront except for bases (if you really want infantry or guns, and are buying PSC). I posted my silly list way back up the thread but that was for a friendly game rather than a tournament. I don't think it'd do so well in a tournament situation. Especially because I suck at remembering the rules :ssh:

That is just the worst thing :smith:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Sucks, dude.

Your insurance might cover it?

Would be amazing to read that report, though.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I ended up going with the second Tankovy list I posted (Two T-34 platoons with 7 and 5 tanks respectively, 2 SU-152s, a platoon of Sappers, and a pair of Katuyshas with extra crew) and did... okay. Lost a close match against a German infantry list with supporting armor in Free-For-All, lost a less-close match against a US ranger list in Dust Up (He got lucky with his artillery early in the match and knocked out/disabled a number of the T-34s I had defending, which then couldn't deal with the Lees that drove onto the objective) and then won easily against a British armored list in Encounter. Funnily enough, while the Sappers didn't really do much I never felt as though Recon would have been that helpful-I didn't really have to do much shooting against anything that was gone to ground, and the Sappers were at least able to provide a brief speed-bump around my objectives. What I really felt I was lacking for was AT, since the SU-152s were rarely in a good position to make use of their big guns against enemy tanks, while I lost the first match solely because I could not get past the FA7 on a pair of StuHs with my T-34s. Having a pair or trio of SU-85s would have been very nice to have so my T-34s could have focused on infantry killing as opposed to flailing against Lees and StuHs, but so it goes.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

Arquinsiel posted:

Untrue!

Another good reason is doing an entire mid-war Tankovy out of Zvezda plastics.

You can do that with regular tankovy too...

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Numlock posted:

You can do that with regular tankovy too...
Yeah but you can't do as much silly poo poo like I posted. With the M3's coming out this year the options. Also, at the time I made the list the Mixed Tankovy was the only way I could find to get KV-1e and KV-2 into the same list. It's also a fun way to start building multiple armoured lists at once - I've now got a full T-26 list for early war with all the mans and guns needed to support them in addition to multiple options for my Mixed list.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!

Sorry to hear that dude, that's a goddamn shame :(

In happier Bolt Action news, I finally pulled the trigger and ordered me up a Wargames Factory WW2 Red Army box from FRP Games. 31 figures for around $21 (including shipping) is quite the deal, comrades :ussr:

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Sydney Bottocks posted:

In happier Bolt Action news, I finally pulled the trigger and ordered me up a Wargames Factory WW2 Red Army box from FRP Games. 31 figures for around $21 (including shipping) is quite the deal, comrades :ussr:

The club's main Soviet collector caved in and got a box of the new 28mm plastic winter uniform Soviets. I'm pretty sure he is closing up on two infantry companies and one cavalry platoon at this rate, not counting vehicles. The Soviet Madness!

I only have one German infantry company. For a squadroon sized game. That is not crazy at all, I tell you.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Thanks for the goondolences, especially Dirt Worshipper.

Sydney I just wrapped up a set of US Wargames Factory dudes and they're not 'heroic' 28mm scale like the warlord and most other figure producers. A little taller / leaner than other lines but if you keep the squads all that company no one will really see the difference when they're all painted up.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'm a big fan of WGF's proportions, myself. One thing I've found is that the leftover parts can be used to make Plastic Soldier Factory's 28mm figures look a LOT better. The PSC helmeted heads and weapons are a bit too large, but the WGF ones are a great fix.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Let me know how that is, I am unhappy with Warlord's Russians. Specifically if they've fixed their necks.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Moths I got excited hearing PSC makes 28mm infantry, but it looks like right now they only have Russians. Their website is pretty obtuse, if you pick WW2 > 28mm all you see is Rubicon tanks. You have to click WW2 > Nation > Then 28mm at the top to even see the selection. It's pretty cool, I wish I could nab two plastic AT guns & crew for $19.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Unfortunately 28mm wasn't terribly popular, and was something of a flop for PSC if I understood an interview right. The AT guns and heavy infantry weapons are awesome, but the big heads and soft detail probably turned 28mm players off to the line. I think they just digitally upscaled their amazing 15mm line.

I've got some WIP shots of hybrid figures made from PSC bodies and WGF parts on my tumblr, and then some completed photos after that.

It's definitely the most economical way to do Soviets.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!

Sydney I just wrapped up a set of US Wargames Factory dudes and they're not 'heroic' 28mm scale like the warlord and most other figure producers. A little taller / leaner than other lines but if you keep the squads all that company no one will really see the difference when they're all painted up.

Yeah, I did some comparison shopping and that was the general consensus as well, which I am perfectly OK with. I figure I can use them as the bulk of the infantry and look elsewhere for weapons teams, etc. And of course, once they're on the table and in the middle of a game, it's likely going to be no big deal anyhow.

Colonial Air Force posted:

Let me know how that is, I am unhappy with Warlord's Russians. Specifically if they've fixed their necks.

Will do, from a lot of the reading around I did it sounds like people are pretty happy with the WGF Russians thus far. Also, some people were recommending the Victory Force Miniatures line, as ones that might mix well with the WGF dudes and whatnot. So at some point I may pick one or two of those guys up as well, just to see how they compare.

moths posted:

Unfortunately 28mm wasn't terribly popular, and was something of a flop for PSC if I understood an interview right. The AT guns and heavy infantry weapons are awesome, but the big heads and soft detail probably turned 28mm players off to the line. I think they just digitally upscaled their amazing 15mm line.

I've got some WIP shots of hybrid figures made from PSC bodies and WGF parts on my tumblr, and then some completed photos after that.

It's definitely the most economical way to do Soviets.

I may just have to check this out, as Hoard O' Bitz does sell a ton of WGF bitz via eBay, including heads. :v:

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
Speaking of ugly/mutated Bolt Action mans, how are the Italeri Figures?

I picked up their 1/56 sherman and panther kits to experiment with weather techniques on (they are nice), no real plans to play bolt action but there are others I know who are.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Very limited in poses I think. Most of the 1/56 stuff I've seen is five or six different dudes to a box, with only one way to assemble each figure.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
It's six dudes twice for like ~20 bucks. The models are OK, but its not a great deal unless you really need the free plastic glue and dunkelgrau paint they throw in for free.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Isn't it just a single sprue of the Warlord figures?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I was unaware that they were repackaging Warlord figures under their own label. Seems like two sprues after a quick google.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So I am thinking of making an early war defense of France army, either French of British for FOW since I don't have a lot of knowledge on this part of the war and figure that I might as well learn about it. What do you guys suggest for books that would help me with that. I have read a few things about the Battle of France, but nothing that went too in depth, or really focused on the defenders. (Minus mentioning about how the Char B1 was quite the formidable tank in regard to its heavy armor.)

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Blitzkrieg is the only book you'll need. Which is good, because it's the only book there is.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
I ended up winning a Wargames Illustrated contest and got shipped a bunch of stuff - FoW rulebook hardcover set, FoW Sherman platoon, BA m18 Hellcat, BA winter soviets, three Landsknecht blisters from WLG, British armored plastics from Perry (1400s), Blucher rules, Ww1 skirmish rules "to the last man", North Star Egyptian steam punk skirmish guys and a few other things... Really cool! The BA winter soviets are amazing.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Awesome, thanks. By the way, does this Open Fire starter set really come with British Shermans and US infantry? That seems a bit odd but whatever. Not sure why they went with Fireflies and Sherman Vs rather than M4A2s and M4A3E8s. Works for me though because I do love British armor.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

jadebullet posted:

Awesome, thanks. By the way, does this Open Fire starter set really come with British Shermans and US infantry? That seems a bit odd but whatever. Not sure why they went with Fireflies and Sherman Vs rather than M4A2s and M4A3E8s. Works for me though because I do love British armor.

It's supposed to represent the battles during Operation Market Garden, when US Paratroopers were often directly supported by British armor (And vice-versa).

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

Acebuckeye13 posted:

It's supposed to represent the battles during Operation Market Garden, when US Paratroopers were often directly supported by British armor (And vice-versa).

Oh, awesome. That makes sense.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Which books would you need to expand the FoW starter set?

I'm pretty sure it's "Market Garden" for the allies, but what for the axis?

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

AlphaDog posted:

Which books would you need to expand the FoW starter set?

I'm pretty sure it's "Market Garden" for the allies, but what for the axis?

If you want to stick to Operation Market Garden, then the book for the Axis (Germans) is "Bridge by Bridge". And yes, "Market Garden" is the book for the Allies.

You're not limited to just that, however, you can expand into other theaters using other books. Basically the set will work with anything Late War.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I may just have to check this out, as Hoard O' Bitz does sell a ton of WGF bitz via eBay, including heads. :v:

Just to follow up on this, I found the Plastic Soldier Company Russian 45mm anti-tank kit on eBay for like $22, so once both that and my WGF Russians show up, I'll try mixing up some bits per moths' suggestion and see how they work. :)

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I'm sure you'll be happy with them! The heavy weapons are also a great deal - you get a bunch of different crew-served mortars and Maxims and AT guns in one box, which other companies sell for $12 each.

And here's news: Pendraken has acquired Blitzkrieg Commander and its family of rules. That's probably good for everyone involved.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!

moths posted:

I'm sure you'll be happy with them! The heavy weapons are also a great deal - you get a bunch of different crew-served mortars and Maxims and AT guns in one box, which other companies sell for $12 each.

Oh that is definitely next on my list when I get paid again. This check was focused on getting the basics (bases, static grass for the bases, paints and inks to paint the Red Army up once they are on the bases), along with the miniatures I mentioned previously. So next time I get paid, I can focus on just bolstering the glorious forces of the Motherland :ussr:

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

moths posted:

And here's news: Pendraken has acquired Blitzkrieg Commander and its family of rules. That's probably good for everyone involved.

If only they would publish a fantasy version of the ruleset...

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

El Estrago Bonito posted:

If only they would publish a fantasy version of the ruleset...

Its called Warmaster....

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Serotonin posted:

Its called Warmaster....

What, really? I bought a bunch of warmaster lead by the pound a long time ago and never tried it.

If that's really how it plays, I'm stoked to find where it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So I have decided that I am going to make a French Army in FOW, since I love the look of their tanks. This isn't a masochistic decision is it?

Also, are there any rules for the Char 2C for FOW? I ask because about a year ago I purchased a little Char 2C that is in the same scale as FOW, and it was even advertised as compatible with it, and I was wondering if there was actually any way to use it. If not, no big deal. I only bought it because it is a cool land battleship that I have been meaning to paint for a while now.