Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Punch Drunk Drewsky
Jul 22, 2008

No one can stop the movies.

trip9 posted:

So I just watched In The Mood For Love the other night and loved the cinematography/style of that movie. In general I think I'm a style over substance guy when it comes to movies. Anybody have any good recommendations for movies with crazy awesome style?

Some examples of movies that I think really embody what I'm talking about :

Stoker
Enter the Void
Basically anything by Nicholas Winding Refn (Valhalla Rising, Only God Forgives, Drive)
Beyond the Black Rainbow
Bellflower

Any Kieslowski, and based on your list the best would likely be Three Colors: Blue and The Double Life of Veronique. In a different wheelhouse maybe The Cranes are Flying, and more recently Upstream Color.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Schweinhund posted:

You probably haven't missed him but Terry Gilliam.

I haven't, but I also haven't seen Baron Munchausen or The Zero Theorem yet so it's still a good suggestion.

FrostedButts
Dec 30, 2011

trip9 posted:

So I just watched In The Mood For Love the other night and loved the cinematography/style of that movie. In general I think I'm a style over substance guy when it comes to movies. Anybody have any good recommendations for movies with crazy awesome style?

Stoker
Enter the Void
Basically anything by Nicholas Winding Refn (Valhalla Rising, Only God Forgives, Drive)
Beyond the Black Rainbow
Bellflower

The Strange Color of Your Body's Tears

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

FrostedButts posted:

The Strange Color of Your Body's Tears

This looks exactly up my alley (I'm a sucker for horror).

Punch Drunk Drewsky posted:

Any Kieslowski, and based on your list the best would likely be Three Colors: Blue and The Double Life of Veronique. In a different wheelhouse maybe The Cranes are Flying, and more recently Upstream Color.

Interesting, never heard of the first two, really enjoyed Upstream Color though so I'll have to check them out.

morestuff posted:

Maybe watch whatever Malick and Kubrick you haven't seen.

That's a given haha. Sadly I haven't seen a lot of Kubrick, so I guess catching up on him is pretty much a no-brainer.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

trip9 posted:

Stoker
Enter the Void
Beyond the Black Rainbow
Bellflower

Most of Danny Boyle's stuff would probably fit.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
someone recommended me Freeway II: Confessions of a Trickbaby. I think i asked for some trashy entertainment where you kinda dont know where things are gonna end up. Whoever recommended it did a great job and I would like more of the same.

what an insanely hosed up awesome movie.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Slaapaav posted:

someone recommended me Freeway II: Confessions of a Trickbaby. I think i asked for some trashy entertainment where you kinda dont know where things are gonna end up. Whoever recommended it did a great job and I would like more of the same.

what an insanely hosed up awesome movie.

Just watch every Matthew Bright movie and you're done.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

What are some good conspiracy theory movies? Fiction, documentary. Real conspiracies, tin-foil. Anything.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

TrixRabbi posted:

What are some good conspiracy theory movies? Fiction, documentary. Real conspiracies, tin-foil. Anything.

The Conversation is awesome.

Howling Man
Mar 29, 2014

TrixRabbi posted:

The Art of the Steal is a conspiracy doc about fancy art.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Just watch every Matthew Bright movie and you're done.

ive actually watched all of them. but are those he just wrote any good?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Slaapaav posted:

ive actually watched all of them. but are those he just wrote any good?

The Diffrn't Strokes movie he wrote was just loving insane.

Punch Drunk Drewsky
Jul 22, 2008

No one can stop the movies.

TrixRabbi posted:

I still swear by JFK for this, but if you want something a lot more low-key and simmering then Breach from 2007 would be a good one.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

TrixRabbi posted:

Tons of these in the 70s. The Parallax View, 3 Days of the Condor, The Conversation, Marathon Man, All the President's Men

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
I've now seen Endhiran, The Avenging Fist, and Godzilla: Final Wars. Please tell me there are more batshit insane East Asian quasi-cyberpunk Matrix-knockoff movies. I need this.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
What are the absolute best Yakuza and Triad movies?

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
infernal affairs trio works really well for triad movies. election is also a way to start.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Battle without Honor or Humanity.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

CloseFriend posted:

I've now seen Endhiran, The Avenging Fist, and Godzilla: Final Wars. Please tell me there are more batshit insane East Asian quasi-cyberpunk Matrix-knockoff movies. I need this.

Tokyo Gore Police?

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

CloseFriend posted:

Zeiram and its sequel!

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

Young and Dangerous is my top of the heap for Triad films. Based on the popular comic by Cowman. Can't vouch for the sequels though as I haven't seen them yet.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
After watching Calvary it dawned on me that I really dig Brendan Gleeson in leading roles, are there any others I should check out besides that one, In Bruges and The Guard? Is the one where he plays Churchill any good?

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

Illinois Smith posted:

After watching Calvary it dawned on me that I really dig Brendan Gleeson in leading roles, are there any others I should check out besides that one, In Bruges and The Guard? Is the one where he plays Churchill any good?

I've ended up mentioning it a bunch of times in this thread, but definitely check out The General, directed by John "Deliverance" Boorman. It's a great film, and a solid opportunity for Gleeson to flex his acting range.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The General is fantastic.

BobbyPeru
Feb 20, 2015

Check these out:

Yakuza Graveyard
Graveyard of Honor (Original is great but the Miike remake is ok too)
Rainy Dog
Pale Flower
Shinjuku Triad Society
Hana-bi
Beast Cops

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
watch every kitano movie lol

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

GimpChimp posted:

I've ended up mentioning it a bunch of times in this thread, but definitely check out The General, directed by John "Deliverance" Boorman. It's a great film, and a solid opportunity for Gleeson to flex his acting range.
This was great, thanks!

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Illinois Smith posted:

I wish he was a lead in Gangs of New York, his character in it was one of the best things in that movie.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

savinhill posted:

I wish he was a lead in Gangs of New York, his character in it was one of the best things in that movie.

I wish Broadbent as Boss Tweed had been the lead.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

What are some movies in the style of Blue Valentine?

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
The Americans has me in the mood for some more spy action. I would like something a little more fast paced than Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy but nothing as over-the-top as some of the Bond films.

Based on true events are bonus points. Also, I will accept good documentary recommendations.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Dr.Caligari posted:

The Americans has me in the mood for some more spy action. I would like something a little more fast paced than Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy but nothing as over-the-top as some of the Bond films.

Based on true events are bonus points. Also, I will accept good documentary recommendations.

A Most Wanted Man should be right up your alley.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Dr.Caligari posted:

Not exactly spy based but Michael Clayton would probably scratch that itch.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

It's been a really long time since I saw it, but I wonder if The Odessa File holds up. I wouldn't hold it up as a classic, but I thought it was pretty entertaining. Jon Voight long before Mission Impossible (it's not international spying so much but I think it might fit). (Trailer)

If you want something more Cold War and also based on true events, maybe The Falcon and the Snowman, but that's not terribly actiony, especially by modern standards. (Trailer)

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

Kvlt! posted:

What are some movies in the style of Blue Valentine?

I don't know that I'd call it all that similar, but I think you might like Certified Copy.

Or some Wong Kar-Wei. In the Mood For Love, 2046, Happy Together

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

What are some anachronistically shot movies? That is, despite being filmed in (and the film itself set in), say, 2005, it was purposely filmed in a style from another era. Drive, for example, has an 80s Michael Mann vibe. Croupier, its mobile phones, computers, and word processors notwithstanding, looks exported direct from 1977 in terms of shot composition, editing, lighting. Ed Wood probably qualifies too, though it's been a while since I've seen it so I could be wrong.

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008

Skwirl posted:

Not exactly spy based but Michael Clayton would probably scratch that itch.

I'm looking for stuff kind of like Michael Clayton - legal/political thrillers. Like The Insider, which I really enjoyed. This probably ties a bit into the conspiracy theory nomination above too.

I guess really any good thriller that's 'talky' would work. I have the JFK director's cut which I'm looking forward to watching and I've seen a lot of the famous 70s ones mentioned above, so more modern would be good.

FrostedButts
Dec 30, 2011

PTizzle posted:

I'm looking for stuff kind of like Michael Clayton - legal/political thrillers. Like The Insider, which I really enjoyed. This probably ties a bit into the conspiracy theory nomination above too.

I guess really any good thriller that's 'talky' would work. I have the JFK director's cut which I'm looking forward to watching and I've seen a lot of the famous 70s ones mentioned above, so more modern would be good.

If it hasn't been mentioned yet, try the recent drug conspiracy film Kill the Messenger. Jeremy Renner plays the real life Gary Webb who in the 1990's investigated the relation of cocaine dealing in America fueled by the CIA for a war in Nicaragua.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Dr.Caligari posted:

It's not exactly "spy action" but Munich might work and is really well done and is based on true events. Check out Confessions of a Dangerous Mind too for something a little different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kangra
May 7, 2012

PTizzle posted:

You might like The Ghost [Writer] (2010 starring Ewan MacGregor, released with the shorter name in some markets).

• Locked thread