Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Really Pants posted:

WHAT AM WALK ON FOUR LEGS IN MORNING, AND WALK ON THREE LEGS IN DAY, AND WALK ON TWO LEGS IN NIGHT

A COW

BECAUSE I EAT LEGS

OR ALSO A HORSE

ALIVE WITH NO BREATHING
COLD AS DEATH...ING
AND
IT IN WATER
AND LOOK LIKE FISH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

quote:

Setting/environment: ruined temple
Feature: secret door
Feature: hidden spiked pit
NPC: elf noble
Monster: manticore
Monster: orc(s)
Monster: skeleton(s)

A noble Elf was dishonoured and banished a hundred years ago. She raised a skeleton army and attacked Elfland, and would have succeeded except those meddling kids the PCs activated the temple's defenses in time (in the intro text), which for reasons currently unknown to them blew the top of the temple into a pocket dimension with the PCs still inside it instead of just killing all the skeletons.

The first part of the adventure is the PCs finding out what really happened from the dying Elf Noble, and finding evidence that her story is true behind a secret door at the top of the temple. This also contains hints on how to get home and how to take revenge on those who were really responsible for the skeleton army. On the way, they fight the now uncontrolled remnants of the skeleton army, which are pretty weak and lovely, and avoid the various traps placed along the way, including spiked pits.

Sidebar: What really happened: Orcish planar pirates were trying to steal the temple in order to make a flying interplanar fortress to raid the manyfold worlds of men... the first part of their plan has worked perfectly, the sabotaged defenses blowing the important part of the temple into the salvage area. The noble elf knew about the plan and figured if she stopped it she'd be let back in to elf land.

The second part happens when they exit the temple, which is now floating in a void with giant spikes extending out of a swirling purple-misted distance in every direction. This is where they fight the orcish planar pirates who are riding in a flying battle-wagon drawn by a swearing manticore who has insults as deadly as her tail spikes*.

When the adventure is over, they are in control of a flying interplanar fortress-temple which they can return to the elf king, or use for interplanar fortress-temple based murderhoboing as the mood takes them (Players arguing for the first option are forever banished from the gaming table).

*This is either a metaphor or her insults actually do the same damage as her tail spikes, ~~DM's Choice~~.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Feb 22, 2015

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

I thought you were just pointing out how awesome those first towels are, but then I scrolled down and saw the even more awesome D&D GRIDMAP BEACH TOWEL. Holy poo poo. What better way to advertise to the world that I really don't belong on the beach? Other than the glare from my milky untanned flesh, I suppose.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
A noble elf, an orc and a manticore walk into a bar.
The barman - who is a skeleton - says "What the gently caress are you doing bringing that thing in here?"
The Manticore says "gently caress off Gary, you don't complain when the orcs bring their own lunch."

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
When all the clerics in the world are unable to help an elven king recover from a broken leg, a brave team of heroes (the players) are chosen to be shrunk to microscopic size and injected into his body to fight the issue on a more personal level. Once inside his body they learn that this is no ordinary disease, but the work of evil orc lord Voy and his shrunken tribe.

SEE the players evade the pit of bone shards
LISTEN as they sneak past the micro-manticore and bypass the secret door found in every elfs' pelvis
FEEL as they rock your very bones in their fight with the orc inner circle

This week in The Fantastic Voy-orc!

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

homullus posted:

ALIVE WITH NO BREATHING
COLD AS DEATH...ING
AND
IT IN WATER
AND LOOK LIKE FISH

WHAT IS IN POCKET
NO YOUR POCKET
SOMETHING GOOD?
ANY SNACKS?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Really Pants posted:

WHAT AM WALK ON FOUR LEGS IN MORNING, AND WALK ON THREE LEGS IN DAY, AND WALK ON TWO LEGS IN NIGHT

A COW

BECAUSE I EAT LEGS

OR ALSO A HORSE

homullus posted:

ALIVE WITH NO BREATHING
COLD AS DEATH...ING
AND
IT IN WATER
AND LOOK LIKE FISH
Ettin goldmine this thread, thank you

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Jimbozig posted:

Uh, how do rumours of treasure on other planets suddenly appear on the notice board? When presumably until now the notice board has never sent the players outside of a small geographical area?

Like, I'm asking for details. I honestly don't get how it fits. It seems like adding aliens to a Hogwarts game.

Sorry for the late reply, but the gist is that some rumors are player generated. If a player wants to say, become a master assassin, he needs to promulgate a rumor about a local assassins guild, or something of that nature.

With spelljamming, the local port is likely to be the center of the space trade, being close to the crashed ship, so other spelljammers who make port there will leave things on the notice board too.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

goatface posted:

When all the clerics in the world are unable to help an elven king recover from a broken leg, a brave team of heroes (the players) are chosen to be shrunk to microscopic size and injected into his body to fight the issue on a more personal level. Once inside his body they learn that this is no ordinary disease, but the work of evil orc lord Voy and his shrunken tribe.

SEE the players evade the pit of bone shards
LISTEN as they sneak past the micro-manticore and bypass the secret door found in every elfs' pelvis
FEEL as they rock your very bones in their fight with the orc inner circle

This week in The Fantastic Voy-orc!

This is basically a chapter in Wonderful 101.

So uh yes, please.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

dwarf74 posted:

Ettin goldmine this thread, thank you

Those are some pro posts but let's not say something we can't take back.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Rx Suicide emailed me and all I got was this amazingly awesome forum account.

Tortured By Flan
An elf noble hires the adventurers after an Orc steals his precious lover Manticore - a nickname for his beloved.

Little do the adventurers realize that Manticore is actually a manticore.

One who has fallen in love with the Orc.

Also they find a hidden door with a spiked pit in it and a bunch of skeletons.

OutsideAngel
May 4, 2008

Both "hidden door" and "spiked pit" are elf/manticore euphemisms, respectively.

Don't ask where the skeletons come in.

Educator
Feb 22, 2015

Lothire posted:

An elf noble hires the adventurers after an Orc steals his precious lover Manticore - a nickname for his beloved.

There's really nothing as evocative as a pit full of skeletons.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Lothire posted:

The Romanticore.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Jimmeeee posted:

Yeah it seems like the options they give are designed to make as generic a quest as possible. Props for coming up with some narratives that follow their rules and are all infinitely more entertaining than the one they inevitably choose will be.

Actually this raises the question: why bother farming this out to people at all? It's obvious it'll end up being something like "Elf asks you to recover a MacGuffin from Manticore den, Orcs want it too, the den is filled with resurrected corpses of people who also want the MacGuffin". Why not not just write it themselves? Are they really that lazy/under-staffed?

To ~*~generate buzz~*~ about D&D. Get people talking and act like they're involved in the process/that you give half a poo poo about their input. It's a pretty standard idea, and it's also completely half-assed which is totally in line with everything 5E.

OutsideAngel posted:

Both "hidden door" and "spiked pit" are elf/manticore euphemisms, respectively.

Don't ask where the skeletons come in.

Sounds like the elf and manticore have some skeletons in their closet*? :shrug:

* that is only accessible by a hidden door, obv

malk83
Sep 3, 2008

Oh come on! The skeletons are a physical manifestation of unstable dark power, spawned by the disruption of the unholy love between an elf and a manticore, emanating from the demi plane known to all lichlovers as...

The Bone Zone

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I spent part of the weekend reading through Trailblazer, a third party d20 supplement that attempted to "fix" a bunch of 3rd Edition's problems. They did a couple of things that jumped out to me as being somewhat applicable or at least tangentially related to Next, given how much Next draws from 3.5:

* They increased Sorceror and the Wizard hit dice to d6, the Bard and the Rogue to d8, and the Ranger to d10. Next does the same thing

* They changed Vancian casting to a system wherein you "know" a large spellbook, select a smaller set of spells you "prepare", and then you can burn your spell slots on any of your prepared spells, without having to tie down specific spells to specific spell slots. Next does the same thing

* They increased a level 1 character's HP by their full CON score, which is a houserule that has come up rather often

* Iterative attacks were reduced in number, but with better/full attack bonuses so you don't get that thing where the 3rd/4th swing is at -10 or -15 and is a complete waste but you need to do it anyway because it might crit. Next does something very similar wherein you just get Extra Attacks flat out.

* In order to get rid of the "10 minute adventuring day", Trailblazer simply changes 3rd Edition's Rest from an 8 hour period to a 10 minute period. Next does a similar thing in the Epic Heroism variant rule in the DMG, wherein Short Rests are 5 minutes long and Long Rests are 1 hour long.

Trailblazer even does a thing where it classifies spells into Rote, Restricted and Ritual spells to differentiate spells that you'll still need a full 8 hour rest to recover regardless of the new 10 minute rule, and then the Next's variant rule simply says: "Spellcasters using this system can afford to burn through spell slots quickly, especially at higher levels. Consider allowing spellcasters to restore expended spell slots equal to only half their maximum spell slots (rounded down) at the end of a long rest, and to limit spell slots restored to 5th level or lower. Only a full 8-hour rest will allow a spellcaster to restore all spell slots and to regain spell slots of 6th level or higher."

* Trailblazer further modifies spellcasting by creating the "Base Magic Bonus", or the spellcaster's equivalent of the BAB. A full caster such as a Cleric or a Wizard will gain 1 MBM per level, and the translation of MBM to available spell slots is the same as in original 3rd Edition, but the change is that even martial classes like the Barbarian or the Fighter gain 1 MBM per 3 levels (Monks/Rangers/Paladins gain 1 MBM per 2 levels, Bards gain 2 MBM per 3 levels)

What this essentially means is that multiclassing will not harm your spellcasting abilities as badly. Next does nothing like this, but to put it in Next's terms:

Under RAW Next, a Wizard 5/Fighter 5 would have [4/3/2] spell slots
Under the MBM system, a Wizard 5/Fighter 5 would have [4/3/3] spell slots, or as good as a level 6 Wizard

Under RAW Next, a Wizard 10/Fighter 10 would have [4/3/3/3/2] spell slots
Under the MBM system, a Wizard 10/Fighter 10 would have [4/3/3/3/2/1/1] spell slots, or as good as a level 13 Wizard (can cast up to level 7 spells, instead of just level 5 as a level 10 Wizard)

* No more cross-class skills. In Next's terms, this would mean allowing a character to pick any 4 skills that they want to be proficient in, with no regard for the limits of the 2 from your class, or the 2 from your background (or assuming that your background is always customized)

* Fighters get an attack bonus and a damage bonus to all opportunity attacks, and gains up to 5 "Expert Weapon Proficiencies" that he can use to increase the damage dice of a specific weapon, including multiple times if he decides to apply it to the same weapon over and over. A 1d4 dagger might be worth up to 1d8 to a level 19 Fighter

* 3.5's Attack of Opportunity rules were greatly simplified: "Regardless of the action, if you move out of a threatened area, you usually provoke an attack of opportunity"

* Finally, they introduced a mechanic called Action Points. Hero Points were already a variant rule in 3.5's Unearthed Arcana, and Next has an identical variant rule: Characters start with so many Hero Points per level, and can spend them to add a d6 to any roll, but Trailblazer's Action Points are different in that monsters also have them. The idea is that certain narratively important monsters can draw upon an Action Point pool the same way player-characters can, most notably by letting them use Action Points to increase the result of a saving throw:

"Action Points serve as a new, high-level resource that the DM can whittle away at, just like hit points. Action points can be used to help mitigate a failed saving throw— particularly Save-or-Die. Reducing the impact of Save-or-Die spells also helps bring powerful spellcasters down a peg. Some creatures have action points to defend against the PCs’ save-or-die effects,
which means that opening with your best spells—before the party has a chance to whittle down the monsters’ action points— isn’t necessarily the best strategy.
"

Which to me sounds a hell of a lot like a Next creature's Legendary Actions to automatically pass a saving throw of its choice.

Now, I don't know if 3.5's design flaws were so obvious or so well-known and well-discussed that "fixing" them for Next in the exact same way is purely coincidental, but it is all very interesting.

At the minimum, I would think that Epic Heroism rest periods, the Base Magic Bonus system for better multiclassed spellcasting, no limits on skill proficiency selection, and Action Points are all potential ports to Next games.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
So after my party had to force one of the characters to commit suicide for ultra high treason (he made a really stupid demon pact, and even worse, got tricked on which demon he was pacting with) , he wants to possibly reroll as a medieval detective with an incredibly high passive perception. That quickly led to fantasy batman. Any thoughts on skills/gear to look into? He specifically wants to play a rogue for maximum sneakiness. To combat MAD, figuring just going dex heavy and hopefully taking a lot of unarmed stuff, but I don't know if that'll really be that effective.
Of course, a cloak of echolocation + featherfall at will would be fantastic.

Also it turns out the super houseruled combat we do has resulted in me never understanding people's points about movement, because 2.5e allows for everyone being able to move throughout the initiative phases. So I apologize since I apparently have a much different frame of reference!

Finally, I got a ruling on the thread's title :colbert:

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

mastershakeman posted:

He specifically wants to play a rogue for maximum sneakiness.

To address this before yet another argument breaks out; does he want to be a Rogue because he thinks it's the best at sneaking, or does he want to be the best at sneaking so figured Rogue would be the way to go?

Because to actually be maximum sneak you're gonna want some spellcasting at some point, probably Rogue 2/[Spellcaster] 7+. Mostly for Invisibility/Greater Invisibility so you don't have to play dm-may-I when trying to Hide.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

Generic Octopus posted:

Because to actually be maximum sneak you're gonna want some spellcasting at some point, probably Rogue 2/[Spellcaster] 7+. Mostly for Invisibility/Greater Invisibility so you don't have to play dm-may-I when trying to Hide.

Or going just Bard would cover both bases without multiclassing. Batman is totally a Bard.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Gerdalti posted:

Or going just Bard would cover both bases without multiclassing. Batman is totally a Bard.

You want the Rogue levels for Cunning Action if you're going full-on Max Sneak Mode. But yeah, if you're mostly using stealth out of combat (so action economy isn't a big deal) Bard is the way to go.

e: sidenote, Cloak of the Bat is an obvious choice for magic item.

Generic Octopus fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Feb 23, 2015

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Generic Octopus posted:

Because to actually be maximum [anything] you're gonna want some spellcasting at some point

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Generic Octopus posted:

To address this before yet another argument breaks out; does he want to be a Rogue because he thinks it's the best at sneaking, or does he want to be the best at sneaking so figured Rogue would be the way to go?

Without going to a ton of detail, houserule 1 is no bards. Figuring do everything possible with martial skills then play the dm may I have game.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

mastershakeman posted:

Without going to a ton of detail, houserule 1 is no bards. Figuring do everything possible with martial skills then play the dm may I have game.

why do you hate freedom

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Well, unlike previous editions, where the bard does everything but ostensibly has significant limitations, the 5E bard is an ill-conceived "do everything with no limitations" class.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

homullus posted:

why do you hate freedom

Basically we play a heavily modified d&d game and it's useful to read this thread for overall concepts and ideas then tie them to our own system. But the dm just absolutely hates bards as a class. Flavoring a priesthood to do most bard things (playing the bagpipes while blessing those aroundwith +1 to hit) would work but for now we're sticking with rogue, partly because we don't have one in the party.

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Feb 23, 2015

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

How can you hate Bards? There's always a place for an out of place musician!

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

mastershakeman posted:

Basically we play a heavily modified d&d game and it's useful to read this thread for overall concepts and ideas then tie them to our own system. But the dm just absolutely hates bards as a class. Flavoring a priesthood to do most bard things (playing the bagpipes while blessing those aroundwith +1 to hit) would work but for now we're sticking with rogue, partly because we don't have one in the party.

Which is it? Deadly serious DM or Bad at Smelling Power DM? You can tell by if he has also banished gnomes in the first case, or if he's obsessed with making paladin character fall in the second.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Batman is totally a bard, though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoRundeX6O0

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

theironjef posted:

Which is it? Deadly serious DM or Bad at Smelling Power DM? You can tell by if he has also banished gnomes in the first case, or if he's obsessed with making paladin character fall in the second.

Since the fetus aoe thing seems *not* to be a joke I'd say autisticly serious.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

He's a wizard. :colbert:

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

The Real Foogla posted:

Well, considering how he likes gnomes, I doubt that. Last session I'd had my gnome priest go to the head of the military legion the rest of the party was in, and offer to create a magic weapon for him. The DM ruled I had to do it in secret and not be able to say what the properties would be. So I end up creating a magic weapon whose sole property is that if you look into the blade, you see a faint reflection of yourself grinning way too happily and waving over enthusiastically. I got to RP how this was a fantastic item and almost got executed for it (since multiple people died gathering the ingredients).

Gnomes rule

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

mastershakeman posted:

Well, considering how he likes gnomes, I doubt that. Last session I'd had my gnome priest go to the head of the military legion the rest of the party was in, and offer to create a magic weapon for him. The DM ruled I had to do it in secret and not be able to say what the properties would be. So I end up creating a magic weapon whose sole property is that if you look into the blade, you see a faint reflection of yourself grinning way too happily and waving over enthusiastically. I got to RP how this was a fantastic item and almost got executed for it (since multiple people died gathering the ingredients).

Gnomes rule

The sad thing is, I'm pretty sure it still overcomes DR/magic, making it a mandatory part of your gear.

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum

The Real Foogla posted:

its a house rule that literally belongs in FATAL

mastershakeman your game has creepy house rules in it about subjects only a weirdo would care about

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Let's face facts, d&d is all about weird edge cases and house rules.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

mastershakeman posted:

Let's face facts, d&d is all about weird edge cases and house rules.

It's true, I made it less than a week into my D&D game before we needed to determine the size and target value status of fetuses. I think it's just something that comes up for everyone all the time but no one wants to admit. Like if a pregnant lady tries to get away from my character's ministrations, does he get two opportunity attacks because the fetus is also escaping his tender clutches? Or just one because the fetus is subject to forced movement?

For reals I don't know why D&D doesn't just have rules baked in for maximum anal aperture width. Thanks for selling us half a book, WOTC. Thanks to you idiots I don't even know exactly how many books you can cram up your rear end! A lot though, probably.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Let's face facts, d&d is all about fetus combat and the economy of lizardman gonads.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Really Pants posted:

Let's face facts, d&d is all about fetus combat and the economy of lizardman gonads.

Obsessing over poo poo like this is why no one notices the rise of the bone lords.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Well I mean maybe notices the rise of your bone lord but don't speak for mine, okay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The Party win a place on the hottest new travelling gameshow to hit the circuit, Don't Pick the Pit!

They must compete against the skeletal minions of Dr Crackbanner in a variety of athletic and intellectual games of skill in the hope of winning chances to pick their prizes from behind one of three doors, while hoping that they Don't Pick the Pit! and end up impaled on the spikes below.

After the show, having been patched up by the staff medics and given their rewards, the players are caught up in a mob of fans hoping to catch sight of - and maybe some autographs from - their hero, Tupac Shakorc. Suddenly a spray of bolts and spikes flash through the crowd, hitting Shakorc and his fans alike! It's a drive-by shooting from his arch-rival, Bigelf Smalls! With civilians running panicked and Shakorc bleeding out, can the party chase down Bigelf on his low-rider Manticore (the manticore is quite normal, Bigelf is just very fat and quite hard to carry)?