Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Big McHuge posted:

Oh, it's for anime. Are there other versions out there? I don't think my group would really go for that.
Nope. It's still worth trying if your group can look past the art though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ashez2ashes
Aug 15, 2012

Ropes4u posted:

Pandemic - pretend the cubes are zombies

I've got Pandemic already (and Forbidden Island). They're fun games. I like the colony survival aspect of Dead of Winter. It reminds me of PC city building/management games. I guess there might be some frontier settler game with a similar idea?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

ashez2ashes posted:

I've got Pandemic already (and Forbidden Island). They're fun games. I like the colony survival aspect of Dead of Winter. It reminds me of PC city building/management games. I guess there might be some frontier settler game with a similar idea?
Archipelago?

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Big McHuge posted:

Oh, it's for anime. Are there other versions out there? I don't think my group would really go for that.

Not exactly identical, but The Big Idea is very close. Very similar mechanics, but it's about pitching inventions rather than TV shows.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
STOP THE PRESSES

LOOK WHAT SHOWED UP A MONTH EARLY

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I think someone got confused somewhere.

The really good board game with the anime theme is Tragedy Looper.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Poison Mushroom posted:

I think someone got confused somewhere.

The really good board game with the anime theme is Tragedy Looper.

It's actually Ladies and Gentlemen

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

3 copies of Keyflower just popped up at Cardhaus

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Does anybody have an idea as to how limited the availability of Dungeon Lords and Dungeon Petz will be? I've seen it up at a few websites but my FLGS says they haven't heard anything from their distributor on them yet. I'd like to order it through them since I'll get a bit of a discount, but if it's something that won't ever make it to them I would want to order it now to make sure I get copies of them. If I just have to wait a few weeks for them to make it through the distribution channels, that's fine, just don't want to miss out entirely.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Broken Loose posted:

STOP THE PRESSES

Yeah, I'm expecting a copy of Caverna and that came instead! Huzzah.

White Rabbit
Sep 8, 2004

We Do Not Sow.

ConfusedUs posted:

Are there any good single player games out there? Sometimes I want to solve some puzzle or play out a story, but there's no one around.

Archipelago with the single player expansion is incredible as a solo puzzle game. It takes the game's "engine" (meaning exploration, construction, exploitation), and gives you about 30 very different scenarios, each with basically 4 difficulties. Very challenging and very cool.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Broken Loose posted:

STOP THE PRESSES

I wish my other games had box inserts half as good as the Pictomania. For a game with so few components, it has a crazy good storage insert.

Also, what's the secret to not sucking at Tash-Kalar. I just can't seem to win with the non-imperial decks.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
You need to learn what their "default" patterning is so that you can build in a way that gives you opportunities without letting your opponent guess your plan. Imperial is easy because their patterns are simple to understand. Green wants to expand quickly with holes in their pattern and yellow dominates a smaller area.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

fozzy fosbourne posted:

3 copies of Keyflower just popped up at Cardhaus

Stop trying to give me PTSD - I just played six-player Keyflower and it took two and a half hours. (OK, I won handily, but still.)

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

I wanted to chime in and say I love playing Mage Knight solo. It's such a gamer's game and if I'm setting up a board to play alone, I want something super meaty. The way the various systems of the game interact is really elegant.

Mage Knight is simply a great game to play when you can't find any serious gamers to waste a few hours with.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Are there any really good games that are strictly solo or at least best played solo?

Sounds like Mage Knight might be a contender.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Timett posted:

Are there any really good games that are strictly solo or at least best played solo?

Sounds like Mage Knight might be a contender.

Navajo wars

POWERBALL
Feb 16, 2012

by zen death robot
Any good games for 2 players that are tablet apps? I have carcassone for my windows tablet but I'd live with a kindle store/android stuff too.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005
So dexterity games came up a while back and someone mentioned Cube Quest which I'd never heard of, but it was twenty bucks on Amazon and goofy looking so I picked it up and I've been playing a game or two a night with my wife for the past week.

It's surprisingly cool.

You each get a little mat with a castle on it and a king die that goes in said castle. You set up an army of other dice behind a screen to shield your king and then take turns flicking dice at each other trying to snipe the opponent's king off the board. Dice get removed if they are knocked off the board or land in your opponent's side with a shadow side facing up (more expensive pieces have more active sides so they don't get captured as often). You can build large two dimensional screens, make little forts, build a ziggurat or stack all your dice in a huge tower if you feel so inclined.

At first you just flick wildly at the other player's king, but after a while you start to realize the value of formations and chain shots that spill dice onto the other player's mat faster than they can clear them off. Then you start to realize the value of disrupting said formations and pretty quickly it gets surprisingly tactical, or at least as tactical as anything can get when you are flicking dice across a mat.

This is great and exactly what dexterity games should be. It's simple, plays in ten minutes and the rules mechanics tie into the physical pieces so that there's no referencing of rules or measuring range or any of the other stuff that more complex dexterity games toss in that slow things down. It's just an interesting set up phase and a series of flicks with a surprising amount of emergent complexity given the simplicity of the rules. It's also just really fun to build a little castle out of dice and equally fun to knock them down.

It's never going to replace Agricola or Eclipse and no one is ever going to spend an hour and a half straight playing it or anything, but for $20 it's definitely the best dexterity game I've played and worth looking into if the above sounds interesting.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
How is the game tomorrow? The One is the post apocalyptic Game where you can nuke other countries
Trying to get the world population down

Lgs has it for 60 debating

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
So I've never been happier...had a Star Wars RPG night planned for tonight, and when all my players first showed up, one of the first things out of one's mouth was "hey do we have time for 7 Wonders?" I finally have an actual gaming group!

Anyway, I've now played with both halves of Babel several times each, and while I actually really like both halves, I'm a bit concerned about trying to put them both together. The Babel Tower itself isn't quite as "screw your neighbor" as much as I thought. There are plenty of tiles that do good things, and even the negative ones are inconveniences, not game ruiners. There's a nice strategy element to what types of tiles to hang on to and play. For example, I had a couple of tower pieces that put taxes on Blue and Purple cards, so I decided to actively focus against a strategy of playing those and focus on other card types. One of my group got blocked quite a bit by the tower stuff and wasn't a fan, but everyone else was fine with it.

The Great Projects, on the other hand, are pretty great. Since it's just an additional expenditure on top of cards you're playing anyway, it doesn't feel like you're "wasting" anything to engage with like the tower can. I also like that as long as the project is completed, there's no penalty; you don't get penalized for being too slow to participate, only active non-participation from the whole table is going to generate a penalty.

I do want to try a game with both Babel bits working together, but going forward, I'm probably goon to get Projects out a lot more than I will the Tower.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Tiny Chalupa posted:

How is the game tomorrow? The One is the post apocalyptic Game where you can nuke other countries
Trying to get the world population down

Lgs has it for 60 debating

Do you like arguing, and frequently have player counts of 4+?
Can you play a game about population control via amoral methods (i.e. biological warfare) without getting your panties in a twist?

If you answered yes to both, then get Tomorrow. I like it a lot.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
trip report: pictomania

how the gently caress can you draw a depiction of new year's eve that looks like a penis

not just a penis, an apparent image of a man from the chest down, pants on the ground, a gigantic phallus partly erect

further, how the gently caress did i guess that one right?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Broken Loose posted:

how the gently caress can you draw a depiction of new year's eve that looks like a penis

not just a penis, an apparent image of a man from the chest down, pants on the ground, a gigantic phallus partly erect

I dunno man, sounds like someone's doing their New Year's Eve right to me.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
he actually was drawing the ball drop at times square, but the whole thing was just so ridiculously freudian it boggled minds. i wish i got a photograph before he erased it.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Trip report: Ghost Blitz with house rules: So, that game is basically "turn over a card, and depending one what's on the card, grab one of five objects faster than everyone else". The game itself includes an optional rule that states that whenever a book appears on a card, you have to say the name of the thing instead of grabbing it. Naturally, we decided that this should be done in German. But then we figured, what the hell, whenever there's a ghost on the card, you need to say it in French. And if both appeared, use English. Short version: This pushed us way over the limit of what our brains could process. It was awesome, but not for the faint of heart. Also, I don't speak French. This was slightly problematic.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

BonHair posted:

Trip report: Ghost Blitz with house rules: So, that game is basically "turn over a card, and depending one what's on the card, grab one of five objects faster than everyone else". The game itself includes an optional rule that states that whenever a book appears on a card, you have to say the name of the thing instead of grabbing it. Naturally, we decided that this should be done in German. But then we figured, what the hell, whenever there's a ghost on the card, you need to say it in French. And if both appeared, use English. Short version: This pushed us way over the limit of what our brains could process. It was awesome, but not for the faint of heart. Also, I don't speak French. This was slightly problematic.

Try Ghost Blitz Turbo. Place all the cards face up in a pile, and the moment a new card is revealed (when the previous one is scored and taken away) the new round immediately starts.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Broken Loose posted:

So what you're saying is, between "buy it now" and "buy it instantly", the correct answer is "buy it yesterday"?

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

So dexterity games came up a while back and someone mentioned Cube Quest which I'd never heard of, but it was twenty bucks on Amazon and goofy looking so I picked it up and I've been playing a game or two a night with my wife for the past week.

It's surprisingly cool. [...]

Glad you enjoyed it, for me it fell completely flat. Probably because I'm used to playing disc flicking dexterity games like Catacombs where you have a much higher degree of precision. In Cube Quest you're flicking big chunky blocks, which are much less predictable, because they'll roll and tumble.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Is Dungeon Petz something I should buy right now if it's in stock in CSI, or can I afford to wait for other games I really want first? I heard talk it's kinda hard to find at this point.

Also, looks like Dominion Adventures has a release date of April 8 according to Rio Grande's site.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Mega64 posted:

Is Dungeon Petz something I should buy right now if it's in stock in CSI, or can I afford to wait for other games I really want first? I heard talk it's kinda hard to find at this point.

Also, looks like Dominion Adventures has a release date of April 8 according to Rio Grande's site.

Yes get it get it now.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
I think I remember someone here talking about Hyperborea. My friend has been asking about it so.. is it any good? Does it play 4 players well or only 2 (I've heard it has AP problems)?

edit: He likes Chaos in the Old World and Mage Knight which I assume is why he's looking at it.

Bubble-T fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Feb 22, 2015

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Bubble-T posted:

(I've heard it has AP problems)?

Isn't AP a problem usually attributed to players, not games?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
It is, but there are better and worse games for it.

I've been impressed, for instance, that Viticulture versus Caverna, Viticulture is SO much quicker, but if anything more fun, with an AP-prone player. A game that offers a tonne of options all at once without any of them being obviously better is asking for massive AP, and that really shows with Caverna, in particular, IME. Our AP guy has been known to spend an entire 6-player round deciding his takings from fighting or the building he's building. In Viticulture, there's just as much tactics and strategy, but less times where you make a big choice, followed by another big choice (the only one really is buildings, everything else the difficult choice is which action to take, rather than which action to take and then what to do with it when you've taken it, as compared with Caverna, where buildings, feeding/breeding and fighting all offer the AP-prone player endless choices to agonise over), neither of which have many indicators for success.

AP is a player problem, but it's also a game design problem.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Gort posted:

Isn't AP a problem usually attributed to players, not games?

There are people who will always make lightning fast decisions, and there are people who will always make slow-rear end come on it's 9 PM and we're a quarter of the way through decisions.

Then there's the large majority of people, the ones in between. Any game gives a certain amount of time to make your decisions, and has a certain number of decisions with different ramifications to make. Games that cut down on AP handle this better.

Let's use Dominion as a very simple example. In nuDominion, Militia says "at the start of each of their next turns, your opponents each discard down to three cards in hand" and instead of drawing at the end of your turn, you draw at the start of your turn. Clearly, nuDominion is going to have more trouble with AP, because they will be unable to make decisions until it's time to actually execute them, and triply so if someone plays Militia.

Game design can't eliminate AP, but it can mitigate the effects of it.

electrigger
Dec 18, 2005

so gay and you don't even like boys
Cosmic Encounter is a very regular game at my local board-gaming meetup. I managed to avoid is so far up until last night when I got roped and decided to just say "gently caress it" let's encounter some cosmics.

I just don't get why this gets busted out almost every time and sucks up several hours of people's lives. Now this group plays a variety of games, and are in the know about the state of modern designer board gaming. If I ever showed up and was like "hay guys let's play munchkin!!!" They would all balk. So i'm confused as to why so many people love this game since it's loving munchkin. So on my turn I pick up a random card that assigns me a random number to overcome, then I can plead with others to see if they will help me overcome said random number for rewards, and then other people can decide to gently caress me over from overcoming the random number? What the gently caress? The core gameplay of Munchkin front and center and no one cares?

I guess the difference is instead of everyone piling on the leader and then the person in 2nd place waltzing across the finish line unopposed is replaced by an endgame in which everyone is piled up on point 4 and refuses to help each other until a group decides to king-make themselves. Compelling.

Honestly I was surprised that I found myself not actively hating it the entire time, I had fun, but it was obviously the fun company and had nothing to do with the game.

I guess the appeal of CE is that if you play it, later you can have stories like 'Oh man that one time when you had the 40 card and no one knew, epic ownage!' Or, 'hee hee remember when Matt got to play the whiny aliens? FTW LMAO'

electrigger fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Feb 22, 2015

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

electrigger posted:

I guess the appeal of CE is that if you play it, later you can have stories like 'Oh man that one time when you had the 40 card and no one knew, epic ownage!' Or, 'hee hee remember when Matt got to play the whiny aliens? FTW LMAO'
It's a good game to play with people who aren't serious gamers. You don't have to choose who to attack, you can get involved on other people's turns, the underlying systems are simple to learn, and there's space for clever play while also offering enough randomness to help weak players. Plus the various variable race interactions provide a stream of both tiny hand problems to solve and amusing social prompts.

Edit: vvv CE should never take 2.5 hours, that's ridiculous.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
The last (and I do mean last) time I played Cosmic Encounter, it took 2.5 hours and I spent 3/4 of the game wanting to chew my arm off like a wolf in a trap.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Same. I had a munchkin game last about that long too. I actually thank those events cuz people wizened up to how bad the games were and now we can play dungeon lords and Agricola instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
I've thankfully never had to sit through Munchkin or CE but my main group had similar experiences with Catan and Citadels. We also quickly outgrew Small World but that's just because it's boring as gently caress, at least it doesn't leave one person doing nothing for an hour and a half.

I still see Citadels regularly recommended on reddit as a game that plays lots of people and it boggles my mind. Who the gently caress thinks that game is fun with 8 people? Are they telling others to buy it as some sort of sick joke?