Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

Smoking Crow posted:

Here's an LA Times article about the controversy from when he was just getting beatified in the early 90s

http://articles.latimes.com/1988-09-22/news/vw-3106_1_father-serra

Here's a more recent New York Times article about it

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/22/us/to-some-indians-in-california-father-serra-is-far-from-a-saint.html?_r=0

I'm sorry it's all journalism, I don't want to post books

From the LA Times article:

quote:

Weber believes that Serra is a convenient target for Indians who resent treatment of their ancestors by all whites.

I'm still skeptical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Remember man that you are dust, and to dust you shall return, and in the meantime you still really oughta get that circuits homework turned in.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

StashAugustine posted:

Remember man that you are dust, and to dust you shall return, and in the meantime you still really oughta get that circuits homework turned in.

Sorry Professor, I gave up academics for Lent. See you in a month!

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

StashAugustine posted:

I think I'm working on the wrong kind of circuits. :saddowns:

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.

Smoking Crow posted:

edit: Speaking of which, why isn't de Las Casas a saint yet get on that Catholics

Yeah, Las Casas wanted to preserve the native population of the new world and not mistreat them, but someone had to do the work. His suggestion was importing africans. So, yeah... let's not saint one of the initial pushers of the transatlantic slave trade, no matter what he said about native americans.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Sorry Professor, I gave up academics for Lent. See you in a month!

I work in a university library, and I've had Mormon students discuss in front of the circulation desk the different "personas" they have for church and non-church and how to cover for each other to the elders. I know Mormons aren't exactly Christian, but that threw me for a bit of a loop.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Cythereal posted:

I work in a university library, and I've had Mormon students discuss in front of the circulation desk the different "personas" they have for church and non-church and how to cover for each other to the elders. I know Mormons aren't exactly Christian, but that threw me for a bit of a loop.
Eeeeh. Making sure the people in authority don't know about your drinking/smoking/sex isn't exactly limited to Mormons. The only difference for Mormons is that your local bishop is literally local, presiding over a ward of 25-500 people. The guy in moral authority knows you by face and name and sees you at a lot of social/religious events.

Speaking of the guy in moral authority, debating over whether to get off my lazy rear end and go get ashes. First step: getting off my lazy rear end and checking the times of the imposition services.

Hmm. 10AM and 7PM. It's only 9AM, self, get your act together.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I have class at 830-930, 1030-1230, and 6-850, it's like someone was specifically trying to make sure I can't make it to Mass.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Numerical Anxiety posted:

Yeah, Las Casas wanted to preserve the native population of the new world and not mistreat them, but someone had to do the work. His suggestion was importing africans. So, yeah... let's not saint one of the initial pushers of the transatlantic slave trade, no matter what he said about native americans.

He apologized and changed his mind later in life

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Happy ashy forehead day!

What're y'alls Lent resolutions? I'm gonna put strict limits on my drinking and internet usage - cold turkey is too hard because I'm a wuss.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Black Bones posted:

Happy ashy forehead day!

What're y'alls Lent resolutions? I'm gonna put strict limits on my drinking and internet usage - cold turkey is too hard because I'm a wuss.

Read the entire City of God

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Totally forgot about Ash Wednesday remind me next time thread!

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

I'm going to try and read the Daily Office everyday...and just be a nicer person to people I work with. I've fueled the gossip mill at work so I'm just gonna try and stay out of that.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

So do you guys know the custom of veiling the entire High Altar with a massive Lenten cloth? My church hung it up yesterday - it is an excellent, but really disconcerting piece by a local artist, commemorating the execution by a chaplain of our parish in 1945 for offering resistance to the Nazi regime. I'll take a photo next time.

Just as an example what I'm talking about : this is the oldest extant Lenten cloth (from 1612), hanging every year in front of the High Altar of the Freiburg Cathedral and weighing over a ton.

PurpleButterfly
Nov 5, 2012
I usually give up caffeine, but I just agreed to work nights for a month, starting two weeks from now. So much for that idea. :v: I'm going to give up reading stuff on my phone right before going to sleep.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Oh man, I am totally gonna have to get my dad one of these Martin Luther Playmobil dolls :3:

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Oh man, I am totally gonna have to get my dad one of these Martin Luther Playmobil dolls :3:

I know, right?!

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

System Metternich posted:

Just as an example what I'm talking about : this is the oldest extant Lenten cloth (from 1612), hanging every year in front of the High Altar of the Freiburg Cathedral and weighing over a ton.

That's a lot of jesus

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

System Metternich posted:

So do you guys know the custom of veiling the entire High Altar with a massive Lenten cloth?

I have never heard of this! That looks like an interesting tradition.

When I was growing up, the only thing done like this during Lent was the stripping of the altar on Maundy Thursday. The congregation would begin reading aloud the 22nd Psalm, i.e. one of the most depressing and creepy passages in the Bible. Then, a couple people from the congregation would get up from their pews, dressed in their street clothes of course, and silently extinguish all the candles, strip everything from the altar, and unceremoniously carry it off to a side room. After the reading was done, there was time for silent reflection, after which you got up and left the building silently. And, growing up in Minnesota, often times Maundy Thursday service would begin when the sun was still up, but by the time it ended it was dark out. I remember often being really creeped out by the whole thing, even though I understood it was all for symbolic effect.

PantlessBadger
May 7, 2008

Ms. Happiness posted:

I'm going to try and read the Daily Office everyday...and just be a nicer person to people I work with. I've fueled the gossip mill at work so I'm just gonna try and stay out of that.

Hey there daily office Lenten discipline buddy!

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

PantlessBadger posted:

Hey there daily office Lenten discipline buddy!

If you don't know about it, http://www.missionstclare.com/ is awesome for Daily Office. You can also get an app on your phone. :)

PantlessBadger
May 7, 2008

Ms. Happiness posted:

If you don't know about it, http://www.missionstclare.com/ is awesome for Daily Office. You can also get an app on your phone. :)

Thanks. I'm using the Daily Prayer app and my Book of Common Prayer, but it's always good to have additional resources to call on!

The biggest problem I've run into with CoE apps is they all take the date based on GMT and that can cause problems particularly for evening prayer because it starts to give you readings and collects for the wrong day!

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Alright, so today at church, there were a bunch of nuns. That was a bit weird on its own, but during the Nicene Creed, the Mother Superior opens up the liturgy book and has to read along

I was cracking up. You'd think that after a while you'd just pick it up

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

Smoking Crow posted:

Alright, so today at church, there were a bunch of nuns. That was a bit weird on its own, but during the Nicene Creed, the Mother Superior opens up the liturgy book and has to read along

I was cracking up. You'd think that after a while you'd just pick it up

Was she particularly elderly? Sometimes senility can cause problems with prayers like that.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Thirteen Orphans posted:

Was she particularly elderly? Sometimes senility can cause problems with prayers like that.

No, she was just as elderly as the other two

I laughed again thinking about it haha

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Maybe it wasn't in her native language?

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Paladinus posted:

Maybe it wasn't in her native language?

No, she's American

I want to think she's coasted by for however many years at the convent without knowing any of the prayers

FowlTheOwl
Nov 5, 2008

O thou precious owl,
The wise Minervas only fowl

Smoking Crow posted:

No, she's American

I want to think she's coasted by for however many years at the convent without knowing any of the prayers

Was her name Mary Clarence by any chance?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Smoking Crow posted:

No, she's American

Okay, I know I'm overthinking it, but I'm not sure what's going on with translations in American Orthodox churches... Can it be something to do with that? Like, she was raised with a different translation and still struggles to adapt.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Paladinus posted:

Okay, I know I'm overthinking it, but I'm not sure what's going on with translations in American Orthodox churches... Can it be something to do with that? Like, she was raised with a different translation and still struggles to adapt.
I bet that's it, I still stumble over the Creed because when I memorized it in English back when I was Catholic it was a different translation.

She may also be an ex-Catholic; many Catholics read along even though most of them have the Mass in the vernacular now, since it became a custom back when they didn't.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
That was my guess. I used to stumble in the Episcopal Church for a long time because of the switch from the Catholic phrasing to the BCP phrasing. Now I'm stumbling over the switch from "of all things seen and unseen" to "of all things visible and invisible," and using the word "begotten" more often.

I think a lot of it's the rhythm. You get used to which words are emphasized when, and how the words flow out of your mouth; so when you start using a new translation, it's like rewriting a favorite song.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I am watching the actions and lives of a strange and dissonant series of individuals through a looking glass. They claim to believe something very similar to what I do, yet their mannerisms and things they talk about are alien.

All this is really interesting to read about because it's so wildly different from anything I associate with church.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Forgiveness vespers is a workout; my thighs are all rubbery due to all the prostrations! It was a beautiful service though and it really set the tone for Lent.

Moscow Mule
Dec 21, 2004

Nothing beats the taste sensation when maple syrup collides with ham.
That's something I genuinely love about Eastern Rite churches- doing prostrations. The last week of Lent we always hold Pan-Orthodox Vespers at an OCA cathedral. That's my only chance to do prostrations and hear the prayer of St Ephraim the Syrian.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

HEY GAL posted:

I bet that's it, I still stumble over the Creed because when I memorized it in English back when I was Catholic it was a different translation.

She may also be an ex-Catholic; many Catholics read along even though most of them have the Mass in the vernacular now, since it became a custom back when they didn't.

If you're not saying it in Koine you're heterodox

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

Cythereal posted:

I am watching the actions and lives of a strange and dissonant series of individuals through a looking glass. They claim to believe something very similar to what I do, yet their mannerisms and things they talk about are alien.

All this is really interesting to read about because it's so wildly different from anything I associate with church.

Isn't it great?

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

Cythereal posted:

This is honestly the way I feel when people try and talk to me about televangelists, praise music, and revivals, lol. It's like...I know this is a Thing in Christian culture, but it's so darn foreign to me.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Ms. Happiness posted:

This is honestly the way I feel when people try and talk to me about televangelists, praise music, and revivals, lol. It's like...I know this is a Thing in Christian culture, but it's so darn foreign to me.

Revivals are very simple: a bunch of people getting together to talk about how awesome they are, eat usually good food, and any teenagers in attendance of their own volition rather than their parents' are usually hoping to hook up with another teenager there.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Cythereal posted:

Revivals are very simple: a bunch of people getting together to talk about how awesome they are, eat usually good food, and any teenagers in attendance of their own volition rather than their parents' are usually hoping to hook up with another teenager there.

Wow you went to some lovely revivals

We would sing and yell amen until our throats were sore and people would get saved and stuff. Lots of bluegrass and sweating. I'm pretty sure that if the preacher who was up there told us to riot we'd do it. But no dancing that was for black people only

Smoking Crow fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Feb 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Smoking Crow posted:

Wow you went to some lovely revivals

We would sing and yell amen until our throats were sore and people would get saved and stuff. Lots of bluegrass and sweating. I'm pretty sure that if the preacher who was up there told us to riot we'd do it.
That legit owns

• Locked thread