Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Darth Walrus posted:

Speaking of saying dumb, bigoted stuff on the Internet, the Escapist's new writer just made quite a first impression. :stare:

One of the rare occasions I've actually made the :stare: face at the screen for a quote. Goddamn, he couldn't go for the standard "it's different!" Instead he went for "I'm pissed off that I can't say that either!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
The Star Wars character trait listing segment from the Phantom Menace review was unimpeachable, like the rest of it.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Spiritus Nox posted:

Well, I think it's about time I quit going there. Good god.

I officially decided to jump ship when Moviebob left, to bring the discussion back to 5 pages ago. Even by the rock bottom standards of Video Game News Site Forums it was really quite bad.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
I don't know if this technically internet critic related, but whatever happened to the Current Releases column here on Something Awful? It just stopped updating back in October 2014.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Omnicrom posted:

I officially decided to jump ship when Moviebob left, to bring the discussion back to 5 pages ago. Even by the rock bottom standards of Video Game News Site Forums it was really quite bad.

Oh, I never touched the forums there, but I at least got the odd kick out of ZP or Moviebob's stuff or Critical Miss. But Yahtzee's too played out to be consistently funny and Critical Miss just isn't consistently funny and good God all this poo poo that makes it look like Gamergate has the place's lips wrapped around their collective shaft....no thanks.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

The Vosgian Beast posted:

NAViGaTR is amazing. This weird awkward old man engaging with videogames on a bizarre level is endlessly funny.

Play it loud in stereo, dude!

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Max Wilco posted:

I don't know if this technically internet critic related, but whatever happened to the Current Releases column here on Something Awful? It just stopped updating back in October 2014.

It looks like they decided to leave because they didn't really fit with SA? I'm not sure, really; it sounds like there might've been something else going on there? I know they were getting a lot of criticism on the forums for the ridiculousness of some of their reviews.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Tae posted:

The last time I went to the escapists, their forum front page thread was a poll on rape being good in games and basically the thread consensus was "yes" with arguments about murder and stealing in games anyway. Because yeah.

What's the goon consensus on why rape in movies/TV is OK but never ever ever in a game?

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Feb 22, 2015

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

What's the goon consensus on why rape in movies is OK (Clockwork Orange) but never ever ever in a game?

Clockwork Orange is all about the bad things Alex does and the consequences for those actions. Most games use it for no real reason, or just throw it around casually. Movies that do that are just as bad.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

What's the goon consensus on why rape in movies is OK (Clockwork Orange) but never ever ever in a game?

some movies are made by people who aren't completely inept at storytelling. this is not true of video games

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Movies like a clockwork orange are for adults, but videogames are for children.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Video games can't be art because they are vehicles for the wish fulfillment of the player. It's like if every movie were Indiana Jones or Star Wars. The medium is inherently juvenile which is why all of its most vocal defenders or advocates are giant weeping babies who throw tantrums every five minutes.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

DoctorWhat posted:

some movies are made by people who aren't completely inept at storytelling. this is not true of video games

You aren't trying very hard to find games that have good storytelling then. There are plenty with excellent storytelling.

WickedHate posted:

Clockwork Orange is all about the bad things Alex does and the consequences for those actions. Most games use it for no real reason, or just throw it around casually. Movies that do that are just as bad.

Show me a game that has used rape as a subject so we can actually discuss this properly. The only game I can recall that ever used rape in the story was the Witcher 2 and it was used to show how terrible the person doing it was.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Jack Gladney posted:

Video games can't be art because they are vehicles for the wish fulfillment of the player. It's like if every movie were Indiana Jones or Star Wars. The medium is inherently juvenile which is why all of its most vocal defenders or advocates are giant weeping babies who throw tantrums every five minutes.

boom boom boom posted:

Movies like a clockwork orange are for adults, but videogames are for children.

DoctorWhat posted:

Well drat we got edgy all of a sudden

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Jack Gladney posted:

Oh man I can't tell you how much Gone Home fulfilled my wish to rummage through my lesbian sister's poo poo.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Like dude, we get it, a lot of the people who push games as art are shitsters, but you're being a loving idiot.

sorry, idi*t

DStecks fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Feb 22, 2015

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Asuron posted:

You aren't trying very hard to find games that have good storytelling then. There are plenty with excellent storytelling.

Show me a game that has used rape as a subject so we can actually discuss this properly. The only game I can recall that ever used rape in the story was the Witcher 2 and it was used to show how terrible the person doing it was.

Historically speaking, rape in games is something games have used poorly, often to, as you said, make you hate a villain, give the player motivation, poo poo like that. When movies or books or anything else uses it in this way it is just as horrible, regardless of medium. Rape as characterization is Bad in most circumstances, especially because more often than not it's used to characterize the rapist, while the victim often exists solely to get raped

Games are still very young as a medium, and very commercially driven, so the AAA space will have absolutely no part in a game that will use rape as more than the equivalent of the villain shooting a dog, because hoo boy would that be impossible to sell. Something like you're looking for here can and likely does exist in the indie space, but indie games as a whole are still incredibly small and there's no real established way to get an indie game into the public eye beyond the fluke hits

It's not really so much that games can't talk about/include rape, just that the vast majority of titles are both unwilling to and unequipped to talk about them, and unlike movies, there's no platform for getting those who are more equipped to make games about them to actually get their games made/known

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

For that matter it's not as though one can easily rattle off a dozen movies or books off the top of one's head that are all that tasteful in their use of Rape either.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Spiritus Nox posted:

For that matter it's not as though one can easily rattle off a dozen movies or books off the top of one's head that are all that tasteful in their use of Rape either.

Yeah, this. People are just super defensive when people call out bad uses of rape in games specifically, because gamers are super defensive.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Yeah, rape in movies and books (especially fantasy) more often falls in the "vilifying the rapist" box than most others already. In a lot of ways it's more of a cultural thing than a video game thing specifically

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
As I recall, in Telltale's The Walking Dead Season 1 there were a couple of characters where it was strongly hinted that they were raped, but it was never focused on, just a backstory element*. It worked pretty well there.

* Specifically,

1. The somewhat unhinged lady in the second episode who was stalking Clementine. It was implied that after the world went to poo poo her child was killed and she was raped several times which is what caused her to attach to Clem the way she did.

2. Molly slept with the Doctor in Crawford in exchange for medical supplies for her sister, but in Crawford being ill was sort of "illegal" because the entire town was sort of a subtly "take that" to the sociopathic way a lot of people claim they would act to survive a Zombie apocalypse. But the Doctor reneged on the deal immediately after one of the sexual encounters, essentially having sex with Molly under false pretenses, which lead to Molly's sister's death. I guess it's not quite strictly rape, but in the "sexual abuse" continuum.

That's literally the only instance of it I can think of in a game that sort of worked, and it was deliberately downplayed and ancillary so it's not even that great of an example.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
The issue is most devs are not good story writers, there is quite a few, but there not the ones making call of duty, and most of the well known story games are imspire by B movies or Sci fi,. but i can't think of trying to make a game with a Kubrick storytelling that can be triple A and make money.

there was a game last year called this war of mine that was a game where it flat out outright about how war is hell, and you play as the victims of war trying to live though the ruins and fighting over dead rats to eat. to me games can be art though a way that is not copying Hollywood where you get to play from point a to b. games are not art in the same way as movies and they shouldn't be. it should be art in the interactive way, which is why i am ok with gone home when i skip it for the retro indie game of the month. it not my style but it is needed just as mush as a smash bros or a halo.

but good god this thread at times. some post about ************************************************************************************************************************.

^^^I always see walking dead as a show/comic about how humans can be more of a danger to one self the the undead horde, so humans doing horrible poo poo is ok.

Cyron fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Feb 22, 2015

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I was of course going to bring up Fallout New Vegas, but then I thought, nah they didn't really treat rape with any class what with Cook-Cook and the Fiends :stonk:

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

What's the goon consensus on why rape in movies/TV is OK but never ever ever in a game?

Who said it was ok in movies or TV? I'd advise against it, because to use rape in any narrative sense requires a lot of skill to pull off without coming off as tasteless or hacky.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

PassTheRemote posted:

Who said it was ok in movies or TV? I'd advise against it, because to use rape in any narrative sense requires a lot of skill to pull off without coming off as tasteless or hacky.

this, and sadly there is far less talented writers in games then TV and movies, but let not kid outselfs movies and TV handled it well all the time.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I can name at least 3 super heroes in comics that were born off rape, let's talk about that

here's one, Raven

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

Max Wilco posted:

GBS ran them out after the Gone Girl "review" and the terrible gimmicky TMNT review. Doesn't matter since the column reached its peak with the Mrs. Brown's Boys D'Movie review.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Tae posted:

I can name at least 3 super heroes in comics that were born off rape, let's talk about that

here's one, Raven

jesus.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

To be fair her dad is the Devil.

no

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

WickedHate posted:

Yeah, this. People are just super defensive when people call out bad uses of rape in games specifically, because gamers are super defensive.

It's more along the lines of there aren't really any examples of rape you can draw on in games that isn't some obscure indie title noone has ever heard of. I brought up one well known game that used it, but that's pretty much it as far as I know. So when people bring it up, it's more confusion about what games they're even talking about, hence why I asked you for examples.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
To be fair, it's probably been retconned because DC reboots their universe like every 5 months

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Tae posted:

To be fair, it's probably been retconned because DC reboots their universe comic books reboot their universes like every 5 months
Fixed that for you.

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Feb 22, 2015

A Tasteful Nude
Jun 3, 2013

A cool anime hagrid pic (imagine nude pls)

WickedHate posted:

useless hysteria

um hy*teria was a 19th century "medical" diagnosis used to discredit and institutionalize women for having independent thoughts and feelings based upon the claim that their uterus was moving around and making them insane - your use of this horribly offensive term to discredit the opinions of other posters in 2015 is inexcusable and no consideration should be given to context and intent

or maybe hard-line language policing and the absolute prohibition of a shifting set of words whose meaning evolves over time is dumb (sorry, d*mb) and rich evans is cool and probably an okay guy who we shouldn't assume hates trans-people or whatever

A Tasteful Nude fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Feb 22, 2015

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
No, you're right, I should have remembered that and used another word.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
You know, the word "hate" makes people feel bad. You think we should stop using it?

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Jack Gladney posted:

Video games can't be art because

lol

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

To get back on track...

If you want a video game critic with an original angle, Pavel Grinёv aka Kinaman talks mainly about 90s Russian gaming culture. His Dendy Chronicles series is about the eponymous 8-bit console. It was home to classic games such as Mario Bros, Super Mario 6, Darkwing Duck 2, Mario Bros 16, and Street Fighter III, aka...

There's an episode devoted wholly to the insanity of stickers on pirate game cartridges.

He's European, so he will make jokes about the Chinese, so it might not be everyone's thing. His work hasn't been completely subtitled.

I just watched the linked episode and it was pretty great. Sort of like if Phelous and AVGN had a baby.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Jack Gladney posted:

That can't be true in a world where games like Drakengard and Kane & Lynch 2 exist, as they are pure expressions of the gamemakers hatred for their audience in game form.

Carbon Tiger
Nov 4, 2008

Puppy Time posted:

I just watched the linked episode and it was pretty great. Sort of like if Phelous and AVGN had a baby.

I love his completely deadpan and sardonic reactions to the sheer weirdness of some of the hacked games he reviews. His first video is really good as its a short documentary about the Dendy and how it was released in Russia. It gives a good background of the gaming culture he grew up with which I guess isn't that well known outside of where it happened. Basically everything was pirated and nobody releasing any of this had a real licence to do so. It really created a unique gaming culture that's kind of an interesting historical thing to look back at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Sex doesn't directly translate into a compelling gameplay mechanic and as such is best kept as a background element of the story, rather than as an element of the player-controlled aspects of the game's narrative. As such, on-screen rape in video games has thus far been relegated to the roles of fantasy fulfillment for sexually frustrated virgins and an edgy writing crutch for terrible writers. In comparison, murder is a process with a subtractive outcome and translates perfectly into a gameplay mechanic: Even in Tetris, the goal is to remove things from the screen as efficiently as possible. If you so wish, however, you can imagine the holes being filled as non-consenting, at which point Tetris has become a game about rape and you have become a sexually frustrated idiot.

Furthermore,

quakster fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Feb 22, 2015

• Locked thread