Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
I almost lived the dream yesterday. Started as Steroids with a Gold Wrench, got a second wrench. Scary Face, Long Arms, and Rhino Skin followed. Buzzsawed Big Dog to death, and with Scary Face, two wrench swings pops crystal spiders. In Area 5, a yeti dropped an Energy Hammer, followed by a chest on the same stage giving me an Energy Sword, so I relinquished my gold wrench. Back Muscle and Plutonium Hunger kept me ammoed up.

Death by two simultaneous pouncing rad-dogs in Palace 2 :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The best change from the latest patch: The game actually has an icon in the taskbar now when you alt-tab. Before it was having some weird issue where, if I alt-tabbed out, the game would not have an icon on the taskbar so I had no way to go back to it without doing that weird hold-down-alt-tab window preview thing Win7 has.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

CJacobs posted:

The best change from the latest patch: The game actually has an icon in the taskbar now when you alt-tab. Before it was having some weird issue where, if I alt-tabbed out, the game would not have an icon on the taskbar so I had no way to go back to it without doing that weird hold-down-alt-tab window preview thing Win7 has.

It's still like that for me.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It just happened to me again too. It seems very schizophrenic now. I jinxed it, sorry :negative:

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Update just dropped!

quote:

We took a week off for a medical emergency, but now we're back. For this week. But it's a Significant Update, so prepare yourselves!

For those of you who follow the games industry closely, next week is when pretty much anyone that has the ability to do so goes to San Francisco for the Game Developers Conference. That means our update schedule for the rest of February and start of March is going to be slowed down or non-existent.

To make sure there's plenty of interesting new things to play for y'all in that period, we've decided to implement a very significant thing to the game. As we slowly march towards 'feature-complete', the unlock systems are slowly starting to fall into place. That also means the loadout systems need to start existing, and a first version of that is what this week brings.

You can now start the game with any crown. We've built a terrible placeholder interface for this (we're actually planning a major interface overhaul after GDC), and made everything available to you from the start. In the final version of the game, you'll have to beat the game with a Crown in order to be able to start with that Crown.

This has more consequences than just "running with a crown". There'll be Crown Guardians and a Protochest in 3-2, there'll be Cursed Chests right from the start (they actually carry better weapons than normal Chests), and of course, there's a complimentary IDPD spawn in 1-1. Anyway, tons of interesting runs will come from that!

Other than some fixes (no more freezing), polish, and balancing, we've also implemented an option to swap weapons with Q again! This is a temporary solution until we implement properly customizable controls. One more thing: there's a new mutation, Open Mind. It gives you an extra Chest or Rad Canister on every level!

Have fun messing with those Crowns, and please let us know how broken things can get!

Features
Loadout screen! Pick a Crown from the start by clicking the ugly icon on the right of the character select.
Q Swap option.
New mutation: Open Mind. We've renamed Racing Mind to Trigger Fingers, and Shotgun Fingers to Shotgun Shoulders.

Balancing
Pop Rifle spawns sooner.
Weapons using tiny grenades spawn sooner.
Jock Missiles now explode a bit differently.

Fixes
Fixed the freezes caused by IDPD spawns.
You can no longer get a HP Chest and Rad Canister on the same level.

Misc
New silhouettes for locked characters.
Updated Crown Vault tiles.
Rain now looks cool in Slow Motion.
Updated the trail for Plasma weapons.
Nukes now have a cool booster flame.
Renamed one of the Horror Ultras.
You now drag some flames behind you when Boiling Veins is triggered.
Steroids now also spawns curse particles when holding the cursed weapon in his secondary hand.

Finally, we've started with a final pass on the game branding. You'll notice new key art on the store and elsewhere. As we rev up towards completing, all of our marketing materials and key art will get a final pass, including the logo itself. We're super excited to be headed towards something we can see in the distance with you all. Keep sending us that feedback!

<3

Starting with crowns is cool, it adds a lot of options! Also the new mutation seems great at the start, kinda meh later on. I would rank it in the same tier as euphoria, sharp teeth and the like: nice to have if there are no better options around.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Update is sweet so far but a couple bugs right off the bat: If you check the 'Q to switch weapons' option in the menu, E no longer works for picking up guns even though that's still what the prompt says. also, hitting Esc -> R or restarting after death no longer jumps right back in as the same character but goes back to the main menu.

edit: I relaunched the game and neither of those things are happening anymore. Weird.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Feb 21, 2015

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

CJacobs posted:

I've found that if i click into another window (say, the task manager) and then click back on nuclear throne, the icon appears

I play in windowed mode

Thanks Internet
May 27, 2012

This poster just flew all the way from Caketown just to make this post!

Now THAT'S desperate!
Starting as Robot with crown of guns is really fun.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Rebel with crown of hatred is my loving poo poo right now

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Crown of blood loving rules

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

ninjewtsu posted:

Melting + crown of blood levels up incredibly quickly. He also dies incredibly quickly because I loving suck at this game.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Impact wrists is a pro pick when running blood. It's like having shotgun fingers shoulders all the time, for every weapon

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

ninjewtsu posted:

Crown of Blood with Bloodlust feeds you so many +1 healths, as long as you have a safe space you can keep going forever. It's easily the best crown.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Crystal with Crown of Blood + Bloodlust + Sharp teeth + Scarier Face + Rabbit Paw + Second Stomach + Rhino Skin :killdozer: :killdozer:

e: from one of the devs

Samopsa fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Feb 21, 2015

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
The crown icon is greyed out for me and I can't access it by left clicking, anyone know how to get around this?

e: nvm figured it out, it's kinda obtuse

AnonSpore fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Feb 21, 2015

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Select a character first.

Ice_Mallet
Feb 22, 2011
I've been playing Rogue all the time, so this update makes me happy. The Crown of Blood makes it so you can actually reach level 6 at the end of scrapyard.

Crown of Hatred doesn't work with Blast Armor as well as I'd like, though. Probably because Blast Armor is a worse passive than Heat.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Is it me or does homing bolts function a bit differently now? They seem to track better and can twist and turn quite well.

I can't stop playing with crown of blood. I actually play better with lots of enemies and bullets on screen, I enter that zen state of being that bullet hell shooters often require. It does require building your character in different ways, and it makes some mutations so much more effective especially anything that scales with more enemies (bloodlust, rabbit's paw, racing mind etc). Bloodlust/Paw/Stomach/Spirit is a god-tier combo for almost any character in a regular game, it's a power level even further beyond in CoB mode.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

nightwisher posted:

Is it me or does homing bolts function a bit differently now? They seem to track better and can twist and turn quite well.

I can't stop playing with crown of blood. I actually play better with lots of enemies and bullets on screen, I enter that zen state of being that bullet hell shooters often require. It does require building your character in different ways, and it makes some mutations so much more effective especially anything that scales with more enemies (bloodlust, rabbit's paw, racing mind etc). Bloodlust/Paw/Stomach/Spirit is a god-tier combo for almost any character in a regular game, it's a power level even further beyond in CoB mode.

Homing bolts plus a heavy crossbow is some hilarious poo poo in crown of blood mode.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Impact Wrists + Burning Veins + Sharp Teeth + Bloodlust + Plutonium Hunger + Rabbits Paw = A Steroids who dual-wields Grenade Launchers (Upgrading later to a Bazooka + Grenade Rifle) through a Crown of Blood run and has the time of his life.

Until a shieldcop spawns in 5-2 right next to me and shoots me in the head :negative:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

nightwisher posted:

AFAIK Bolt Marrow works exactly the same but now bolt weapons have those trails so you can see what sort of bullshit they get up to.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Improbable Lobster posted:

AFAIK Bolt Marrow works exactly the same but now bolt weapons have those trails so you can see what sort of bullshit they get up to.

They don't really "home" in the conventional sense. Seems like they run a per-frame check on whether an enemy is near enough to the bolt, then they just decide to be on top of that enemy- they don't change direction at all. It's a hilarious kludge that really makes it feel unique.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Are there any other similar games as good as whatever genre you'd call this? Roguelike twin-stick shooter, procedurally-generated twitch shooter, or whatever? Love the game but I'm getting sick of that ice bastard and just wondering if there's anything else out there?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The closest thing I've played is the binding of isaac, except it's a bad game rooted in RNG and you shouldn't play it.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Yeah I tried that and didn't like the Zelda 1-style room thing they had going. Also going to the options menu to rebind and seeing "just get joy2key" didn't enamour me of the game.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
The problem with BoI isn't so much that it's rooted in RNG, it's that once you learn the ropes it's a pretty drat easy game.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009
Melting with Crown of Blood is an entirely different game. I'm too terrible to get it working well (farthest I got was Big Dog) but it really teaches you to use his special explosions to clear projectiles. Sewers is easily the big hump since it's easy to brush a rat and instantly die plus you run into a ton of ammo problems if you don't have a shotgun or a grenade launcher by the time you get there. Occasionally you hit level 5 by the end if 1_3 which is rad though.

I was aiming for the Strong Spirit / Bloodlust combo, but I wasn't able to get it to work reliably.

Xenogenesis
Nov 8, 2005

Pierson posted:

Are there any other similar games as good as whatever genre you'd call this? Roguelike twin-stick shooter, procedurally-generated twitch shooter, or whatever? Love the game but I'm getting sick of that ice bastard and just wondering if there's anything else out there?

The most similar gameplay-wise are probably Geometry Wars or Beat Hazard. But though they both feature procedurally generated waves of enemies and 360° twinstick aiming, no one would consider either to be roughlikes.

Xenogenesis fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Feb 23, 2015

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Whoever said Impact Wrist was a great Crown of Blood mutation was absolutely right. Impact Wrist with a shotgun turns every trash enemy into a Slugger projectile.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Jumped on the melting and crown of blood train and :wtc:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

So I've heard a small amount of buzz about this game. Someone on my twitter feed can't stop mentioning it. I guess...it's good? Even for Early Access?

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Speedball posted:

So I've heard a small amount of buzz about this game. Someone on my twitter feed can't stop mentioning it. I guess...it's good? Even for Early Access?

It's one of the games that is the exception to the Early Access curse, in that it's regularly updated and the devs not only constantly communicate with the community but stream themselves developing the game almost every week. Currently they're prepping to do some GDC work so there will be a brief lull in updates, but then they'll be back to it after the start of March.

The game is just simple and fun, and despite the occasional bug it's worth money in its current state.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I just lost an incredible Melting run because I didn't expect there to be two mimics on a level. Is that normal or is it because I took the spawn an extra chest mutation and it spawned an extra mimic? I've never noticed that happening before.

e: The best thing ever right now is Crown of Blood Steroids with dual Crossbows, throne butt and homing bolts. Even better later on when you upgrade to two auto crossbows.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Speedball posted:

It's probably one of the only early-access titles I've actually been happy with in regards to playability and developer updates. The core mechanics are quite solid and the game is genuinely a lot of fun to play and learn to master and the rapid pace of updates means that each week there's something new to try out. It's not super deep or requires a bunch of wiki reading to get right into it. You get almost a dozen characters to play as with their own unique but relatively simple quirks that require quite different playstyles, a wide variety of weapons and mutations to mix and match, and a good amount of levels and secret levels to play through. Then if you do manage to win, you loop to the start and play a new game+. Or, let me put it this way:

If you think that playing as a katana-wielding movie-junkie chicken wildly decapitating sentient crows wielding machineguns in bullet-time like a bloodcrazed poultry max payne before having your own head smashed off by some cracked-up assassin with a iron pipe only to continue flapping and firing in a frenzy, headless, until you stumble on a health kit and promptly bandage your head back on and resume the carnage anew, then you may like this game.

nightwisher fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Feb 23, 2015

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit

Speedball posted:

Even if what we currently have was the finished product I'd consider it to be well worth the price. It's a really fun game.

e. i suck at it, but so far I'm most successful as Steroids with a melee weapon main hand and a crossbow off hand. Then I like to go for long reach and the mutation that makes corpses fly farther and harder. With this setup I can hit through walls, deflect bullets and snipe on the fly. I still can't get past the crystal level though, those diamonds spam me to death every time I misstep.

Ramsus fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Feb 23, 2015

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

If they deleted lil hunter and the loop frog boss from the game, and then fixed the thing where melee enemies can oneshot you from full health through strong spirit sometimes, it would be an absolutely amazing game. At it stands it's just a really good one.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Best game on Steam.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Little hunter owns and is the best part of this game.

E. I enjoy suffering :feelsgood:

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Seriously the trick to little hunter is to just go all-out aggressive against him, if you keep the pressure up on him he won't fire and he has remarkably little hp. I die more to the loop giant crystal laser than little hunter now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

AnonSpore posted:

If they deleted lil hunter and the loop frog boss from the game, and then fixed the thing where melee enemies can oneshot you from full health through strong spirit sometimes, it would be an absolutely amazing game. At it stands it's just a really good one.
Ballguy-mama rules. <:mad:>

• Locked thread