Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jaymeekae
Aug 30, 2003

I sound hot when I swear my f*cking head off.

opus111 posted:

the place i rented in zone 2 for £400 nearly 10 years ago is like £900 now... good luck, the city is just crazy rn innit.

Yeah I'm well aware of prices, I've moved around london at least once per year for pretty much the last 6 years. I'm saving like crazy where I'm living at the moment but can easily afford more if they do make us move.

For content... from reddit:

quote:

Hi all, thanks in advance for any insight you can provide. Some background - I'm 20 years old living with my parents down south of Kansas City, MO. As far as finances go, I have a job working 30 hours/ week at $12 an hour and just under $3000 saved. The only debt I have is ~$4000 in student loans that I don't start paying back for a few more years. The house I'm making an offer on is a foreclosure in remarkable condition - it is currently liveable and with $1-2000 in improvements it will be an excellent house. My bank has preapproved me for $70,000 in an FHA loan at 3.5% down at a fixed rate of 4.25% over 30 years.

As for school, I am currently in four credit hours finishing up my final prerequisite classes before starting pharmacy school next fall.

I don't need help reconsidering my position here - I understand that I will be putting myself under significant financial strain by moving out of my parents house and this is something I have made my mind up on. I've been planning and putting this together since August, I'd rather buy and rent some of the rooms than rent an apartment and pay somebody else's mortgage for four years while I'm in school.

What can I expect by making this change? Will I qualify for significant tax credits, or grants? Will my parents be losing significantly by not being able to claim me as a dependent any longer? Any insight is appreciated, I'm sure some of you have gone through a similar situation in the past.

Dude putting down 3.5% down on a house, using up basically all of his savings. Earns $360 a week.

jaymeekae fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Feb 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

zamin posted:

Great with child equity.

So his new wife will have 3 kids with 3 different dads AND her parents moved in with him? Have you seen this woman? I'm trying to grasp how beautiful/smart/wonderful a woman would have to be for a guy to agree to all that.

The sad part is except for the cars he might be doing alright. He's raising children who otherwise would have no father and he didn't overpay for his house.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

jaymeekae posted:

Yeah I'm well aware of prices, I've moved around london at least once per year for pretty much the last 6 years. I'm saving like crazy where I'm living at the moment but can easily afford more if they do make us move.

For content... from reddit:

Dude putting down 3.5% down on a house, using up basically all of his savings. Earns $360 a week.

No it's totally ok though because in 4-6 years he's gonna be a pharmacist and make sweet bank...

Even though pharmacy graduates far outnumber current and projected pharmacist jobs. I read something the other day linked from the cynical pharmacist that some statistician predicts 20x the number of graduates to available jobs by 2018 at the current rates. Maybe it was 20% more grads than jobs. Either way, not too sunny an outlook.

It's due primarily to a few factors, I think, namely technological advances, lovely compliance checks by state boards, and this common public perception that the industry is recession-proof (just like going to law school is job security, dontcha know) so every university needs a pharmacy program.

Also, I read "next fall" to mean fall 2016, not 2015. My money is on this kid having not even been accepted to pharmacy school yet and/or having never worked a day in a pharmacy ever.

He'll probably be someone who works 5 hours a week because he "has to study", then graduates and finds himself in what amounts to a supervisory role when he's got no idea how the place even runs, let alone how to be in charge of it, trapped in this horrible loving job with no way out because with $375k in debt he can't afford to do anything else.

Ha ha ha who am I kidding, he's not going to have to worry about how to handle working in pharmacy after school. He's going to be one of those sperg interns who gets great grades, works at three different pharmacies through school, and can't figure out why none of them will hire him when he graduates.

Krispy Kareem posted:

So his new wife will have 3 kids with 3 different dads AND her parents moved in with him? Have you seen this woman? I'm trying to grasp how beautiful/smart/wonderful a woman would have to be for a guy to agree to all that.

The sad part is except for the cars he might be doing alright. He's raising children who otherwise would have no father and he didn't overpay for his house.

She isn't. Have you seen the men? I'm sure there's your answer.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004
Listen to this miserable gently caress from the Mr. Money Mustache "Overheard at work" thread:

quote:

I don't hear a lot of depressing things, but I see a ton. I know how much every single person in my office makes, so I do a lot of private sighing when I see so-and-so, who I know does not have a wealthy family bankrolling him or her, get yet another box from J. Crew/REI/Gilt/Zappos/Anthropologie/etc., or another $15 delivery from Fancy Italian Place or Fancy Sushi Place.

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/antimustachian-wall-of-shame-and-comedy/overheard-at-work/?PHPSESSID=5t0cm64t4qidijuochfp6muuc5

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Has to be a troll

"Why do these poors buy nice things? They should act like my boss who controls their wages and keeps them impoverished - now there's a hell of a person!"

:downs:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

EugeneJ posted:

Has to be a troll

"Why do these poors buy nice things? They should act like my boss who controls their wages and keeps them impoverished - now there's a hell of a person!"

"A $15 lunch? How fancy. Don't they know they're buying above their station? :monocle:"

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

jaymeekae posted:

I live in south Kansas City and I really want to know where this house is. My husband and I pay $600 rent for a 650 sq ft house a block away from the bus line that goes right to UMKC (pharmacy school), so there's no way that this guy's "Considering I'll need to take on a roomate in both cases, the calculations I've done make it seem like it's way more expensive to rent" is accurate.

link to his full thread: http://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/2wrjn7/im_20_years_old_today_im_making_an_offer_on_my/

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
My hero just brings his crock pot to work and eats right out of it for lunch. Uses the free salt and pepper packets too. Brings home gallons water from the office to bathe and use for cooking. Truly the best mustacher.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Blinkman987 posted:

My hero just brings his crock pot to work and eats right out of it for lunch. Uses the free salt and pepper packets too. Brings home gallons water from the office to bathe and use for cooking. Truly the best mustacher.

Why waste money on rent when you can sleep on the sidewalk

Blackjack2000
Mar 29, 2010

canyoneer posted:

Wow. What's stupider than loaning $30k to someone? Loaning $30k you don't have, and putting it on a credit card :aaaaa:

Maybe he heard that banks create money by lending it and thought it was time to "create" some money :smuggo:

fruition
Feb 1, 2014

EugeneJ posted:

Has to be a troll

I stopped reading immediately after the credit limit decrease circle jerk...these psychos called their credit card companies and demanded to have their credit limits lowered. WHY?
These supposed warriors of personal finance should have enough discipline not to spend to the limit increase anyway, right?

Plus I'm pretty sure having a higher credit limit increases your utilization ratio and thus your credit score.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

fruition posted:

I stopped reading immediately after the credit limit decrease circle jerk...these psychos called their credit card companies and demanded to have their credit limits lowered. WHY?
These supposed warriors of personal finance should have enough discipline not to spend to the limit increase anyway, right?

Plus I'm pretty sure having a higher credit limit increases your utilization ratio and thus your credit score.

As I understand it, asking for your limit to be lowered can be a smart move if you're churning credit cards and about to do another round of applications. But yeah otherwise it doesn't accomplish anything.

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

EugeneJ posted:

Has to be a troll

if the mmm forum people are trolls half this thread is as well

fruition
Feb 1, 2014

pig slut lisa posted:

As I understand it, asking for your limit to be lowered can be a smart move if you're churning credit cards and about to do another round of applications. But yeah otherwise it doesn't accomplish anything.

drat, the more you know. Thanks

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

fruition posted:

Well you understand that many of them are recovering debtaholics. Like the one poster who says "I pay down $1000 in debt a month, I just can't understand what my coworkers are spending their money on!" I dunno, maybe the same stupid poo poo that got you in the position of paying $1000 a month on your debts?

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Well you understand that many of them are recovering debtaholics. Like the one poster who says "I pay down $1000 in debt a month, I just can't understand what my coworkers are spending their money on!" I dunno, maybe the same stupid poo poo that got you in the position of paying $1000 a month on your debts?

This is the most accurate, cutting thing I've read in this thread for a long time.

I think this could apply to some of us in BFC too - that high horse is a tempting ride.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I think we all still have that kind of reaction concerning peoples spending habits

I know I do in my line of work. Every day I get people that can't make their insurance bill, but god drat do they have a 2012 Cadi.

As the poster above says, its a high horse that is tempting to ride, but to an extent we're all on it because we have free time to post on the internet about it.

zamin
Jan 9, 2004

Krispy Kareem posted:

Ya, I've met her at a benefits meeting we had last year. Let's just say that she'll never be the prettiest or smartest person in the room, and neither will my coworker.

He's a decent guy and a solid dad, but he's completely loving terrible with money. He'd be in an alright position if he would have bought much cheaper cars with cash.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Someone on the last few pages reminded me of something that happened when I worked at Best Buy a few years ago.

There was an e-learning all employees were required to do in that place. This specific one was about how to spot dishonest employees who may be stealing. One method for identifying employees who are stealing, this e-learning specified, are employees who buy things that they obviously can not avoid. A specific example they gave was an employee who arrived at work one day with a brand new car.

There was a bit of backlash on that example because it was Best Buy straight up admitting that they did not pay their employees enough to buy nice things, and also that an honest employee who works hard and saves their money to buy luxuries should not be treated as a thief.

A year later, a coworker of mine was walked out in handcuffs for stealing. He was stealing from the store and re-selling the stolen items because he couldn't afford the repairs on his BMW that kept breaking down. He was a part time employee and a full time student at the time.

It always seemed kind of ironic to me. This also happened around the time I bought my first car, a 15 year old granny mobile I got for $2,500 :v:

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

When flying, please wear a suit and tie just like me.
Just upholding the social conntract!
Someone buying poo poo they can't afford is probably a large percentage of Best Buy customers.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

EugeneJ posted:

Has to be a troll

Later on in the thread somebody says that learnig a martial art is a waste of money because you can buy a gun.

Whenever they mention eating out they always qualify it with a 'x was paying', implying they get jumped on if they dare spend money in a restaurant lol.

They're a bunch of joyless misers!

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

When flying, please wear a suit and tie just like me.
Just upholding the social conntract!
Picking up the tab is bad with money. Die after your last friend tells you they will never eat with you again.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Since someone asked for the recipe for my cilantro lime avocado sauce a while back...
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3702511

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

opus111 posted:

Later on in the thread somebody says that learnig a martial art is a waste of money because you can buy a gun.

Whenever they mention eating out they always qualify it with a 'x was paying', implying they get jumped on if they dare spend money in a restaurant lol.

They're a bunch of joyless misers!

Extreme MMM means no fun. Got to retire as early as possible to sit around eating Doritos and watch pirated movies. Living the frugal dream.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Devian666 posted:

Extreme MMM means no fun. Got to retire as early as possible to sit around eating Doritos and watch pirated movies. Living the frugal dream.

No way. Go outside and look at clouds if you want entertainment.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
If any of you guys want to see frugality bordering on mental insanity, I'd recommend watching the TV show Extreme Cheapskates. It features people who go through ridiculous lengths to save money, including re-using dental floss and hauling water from a nearby creek whose water source may or may not be sanitary. I wish I was being sarcastic.

MJBuddy posted:

No way. Go outside and look at clouds if you want entertainment.
Pssh. Clouds? Well, look at you Uncle Pennybags with your fancy view of the sky.

If you want to have fun, do what I do- whistle.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Feb 23, 2015

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

melon cat posted:

If you want to have fun, do what I do- whistle.

Check your lip privilege. I saved a bundle by skipping surgery to fix my cleft.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011

Aliquid posted:

Check your lip privilege. I saved a bundle by skipping surgery to fix my cleft.

When you think about, being a third world child is basically early retirement, if we're going on life expectancy here. And I just saw a commercial that told me those money-genius kids live on less than a dollar a day!

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

melon cat posted:

If any of you guys want to see frugality bordering on mental insanity, I'd recommend watching the TV show Extreme Cheapskates. It features people who go through ridiculous lengths to save money, including re-using dental floss and hauling water from a nearby creek whose water source may or may not be sanitary. I wish I was being sarcastic.

I watched one episode where a dude was on a "no spend" week or something. He would hop on his beat up bike and go basically live like a bum collecting cans and looking for loose change. Then he would go and try to buy food for the day on the money he found. I specifically remember he went to the butcher and was like "hey I've got like $1.57 what will you give me?". So the butcher gives him a sheep head.

He bikes it home to his wife who has this just GREAT look on her face when he shows it to her. I forgot what he made for " wine" but it was equally absurd. Great show highly recommended.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Lowness 72 posted:

I watched one episode where a dude was on a "no spend" week or something. He would hop on his beat up bike and go basically live like a bum collecting cans and looking for loose change. Then he would go and try to buy food for the day on the money he found. I specifically remember he went to the butcher and was like "hey I've got like $1.57 what will you give me?". So the butcher gives him a sheep head.

He bikes it home to his wife who has this just GREAT look on her face when he shows it to her. I forgot what he made for " wine" but it was equally absurd. Great show highly recommended.

That guy was one of the more reasonable people on the show. He seemed like he was doing the whole frugality thing for fun to challenge himself. Not like the woman who insisted that everyone in her family use bits of cloth instead of toilet paper so that they can be washed and reused. Or the guy who would pick up and save grains of rice after weddings.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
TLC is trying to put together the most comprehensive collection of mental illness studies in America.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Blinkman987 posted:

TLC is trying to put together profit off of the most comprehensive collection of mental illness studies in America.

It's kind of gross.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Blinkman987 posted:

TLC is trying to put together the most comprehensive collection of mental illness studies in America.

These shows just make me want to cry, how do people watch this stuff

Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010

Devian666 posted:

PAY for Doritos? I make my own at home.

onemillionzombies
Apr 27, 2014

For $1.57 you could get a package of meat or cheese ends at a deli, but a sheep's head is pretty cool I guess..

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.
You should all read the Frugal Jerk Subreddit and be ashamed of your fat cat lifestyles. Lentils for life!

Speaking of television shows - I was watching an American show about people preparing for the end of the world. At one point the wife of a "prepper" asked her husband if they would ever stop prepping and put money away for retirement because they were in their 50s and had health issues. He said no. :smith:
I had to stop watching after that.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

froglet posted:

Speaking of television shows - I was watching an American show about people preparing for the end of the world. At one point the wife of a "prepper" asked her husband if they would ever stop prepping and put money away for retirement because they were in their 50s and had health issues. He said no. :smith:
I had to stop watching after that.

I used to watch those shows. They were bad at prepping for their specific disaster, but even worse is that they wouldn't not have done well during a natural disaster that is more likely to occur. It did get pretty sad when I watched a couple filling a shipping container with meals that would last them and a bunch of other people 20 years or more. Their house was more of a functional bunker. There seemed to be no goal or end point for their prepping. It was obvious it was compulsive behaviour. :smith:

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
The real sad thing is most of that prepper stuff is going in the trash (or best case it gets donated) as soon as the people doing it aren't physically capable of doing upkeep on it (or die).

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.
My sister, the six-months pregnant one ~20k in credit card debt with the 125+ person baby shower that's not fancy enough for her tastes and who refuses to not buy me a $500 baby swing just announced that she and her husband are remodeling their house. They're knocking down a wall between two rooms (both "living rooms") and having a fireplace put in to have one large living area with a fireplace. I asked what the estimate is but she dodged the question and quickly found a reason to end the phone call.

This house is a new construction from 2010. They are the first and only owners.

The wall is load bearing so they're going to have to gently caress around with beams and poo poo, cutting up a bunch of the ceiling.

I really can't believe they want to knock down a wall that was built less than five years ago, but I guess a bigger living room is a bigger living room. It's kind of a silly floor plan as-is, but I really don't think it's worth the tens of thousands of dollars they're paying to fix it, especially considering their debt and the pending baby. I've been poking my sister to save a little, but I can tell she resents it and would rather me leave her alone, so I gave up. She now has a pair of burberry boots for her daughter.

They're also just now realizing how much daycare costs are. They're both high school teachers planning to have the summer with the baby (decent timing!) and then both go back to work full time. Obviously their little girl needs to be at the most advanced daycare money can buy. She sent me a picture of the pamphlet and costs, and my sister is planning to effectively drop an extra mortgage payment every month on daycare.

It really seems to me like they're burning the candle at three ends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

The real sad thing is most of that prepper stuff is going in the trash (or best case it gets donated) as soon as the people doing it aren't physically capable of doing upkeep on it (or die).

Sometimes the kids seem brainwashed enough to carry on the legacy.

It's always much more fun to watch a teenage girl roll her eyes as her dad forces her to drive an armored personnel carrier with their last name painted onto the back of it into the woods for live fire exercises.

• Locked thread