Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Also, according to this thread, Hirsch linked to it on his twitter account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Pick posted:

What's interesting is that we have multiple avenues for an apocalypse and it's not clear which one is the strongest contender. We have Time Baby, Bill, Stan's machine, and aliens as four foreshadowed options, at least. Bill seems like the obvious go-to, but he might be aiming to capitalize on an apocalypse that someone else is triggering.

The way the season has been going I'd say the most likely scenario is Stan given the fact that he has all the journals (or copies at least) and talked about now being the time for him to enact his master plan. However, given the show's history I could totally see that being a red herring and that Bill or any of the other foreshadowed future villains will be responsible. Maybe Bill trying to stop Stan before he can finish his plan?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I just really wanna see what Bill's overall plan is, because he's a really good oddly scary villain.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Macaluso posted:

I just really wanna see what Bill's overall plan is, because he's a really good oddly scary villain.

Bill's scary?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Maybe not straight up scary, but he comes across pretty sinister (even though he's funny) I guess somewhat like The Joker but not that extreme

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
"Here's a head that's always screaming!" -- a not scary villain.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

In his very first appearance, he gave a child an handful of deer teeth.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Feb 19, 2015

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

paradoxGentleman posted:

In his very first appearance, he gave a child an handful of baby teeth.

Deer teeth.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Yeah, sorry, I corrected myself too late. I don't even know why I said baby teeth.

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010

paradoxGentleman posted:

In his very first appearance, he gave a child an handful of baby teeth.

Deer teeth.

Bill may not be scary to us grown-ups, but I feel certain that at least some adults in 2030 will be saying to each other, "Hey, remember that creepy floating-triangle guy from Gravity Falls? Man, that dude gave me nightmares."

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Bill's like if you gave god powers to a troll from 4chan.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
Has anyone looked closer at the fact that "STAN IS NOT WHAT HE SEEMS" is pretty ambiguous? It could mean that he's not the jerk everyone thinks he is.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Bill is pretty much literally Satan.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Genocyber posted:

Bill is pretty much literally Satan.
Bill is a demon that can enter your mind and sift through your memories. He's clearly powerful, but that power is ill-defined, so there's no way to know what his limits are. There's no known way to hurt, contain, or kill him. He's flighty and random, which makes it hard to anticipate his actions. Sometimes he seems to require contracts with mortals to take action, but his end of that contract will probably be fulfilled in the evil genie wish-twisting sort of way. It seems he's always watching and always listening. Judging by his image showing up everywhere, he's been around for a loooong time. His goals are unknown, but he clearly has some sinister scheme going on.

He comes across mostly as a wacky trickster because he's in a colorful cartoon suitable for all ages. You build a character with those traits in a less kid-friendly medium, and that's absolutely terrifying.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
would be interesting to see how Time Baby and Bill relate to each other. I imagine the two are diametrically opposed

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
I think part of what MAKES Bill so scary to the fanbase IS that he's so unpredictable and enigmatic. Just food for thought.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Not only did he give Gideon a full set of deer teeth as his first act on the show, but he first removed them from a nearby deer. :gonk:

He's got that completely random, unpredictability that can be terrifying. Remember Bipper? :gonk: :gonk:

In typing this post, I just realized, that deer has been around at least a couple episodes. Maybe he and the goat are behind all of this.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
I understood we'll get aliens in the final episode. There's a Wile E. Coyote style cutout in a rock visible in Gideon Rises, and the mayor is "not long for this world" according to the book, which everyone assumes means he's dying but could just mean he'll go to his home planet soon.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

I think that the mayor is undead/kept alive through supernatural means.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011
I would like everyone's opinion on an interrogation I have : who was the Northwest who ordered the mansion built? I guess the simplest answer is "Nathanael Northwest", the (fake) founder of the town, but that guy was described as being incredibly stupid and lacking any sort of common sense, so I've always had trouble believing that he was the one who started the Northwest's family on their path to wealth (I thought that maybe a son or grand-son of his is the one who helped make up the myth about the Northwest). Am I thinking too much?

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

X_Toad posted:

I would like everyone's opinion on an interrogation I have : who was the Northwest who ordered the mansion built? I guess the simplest answer is "Nathanael Northwest", the (fake) founder of the town, but that guy was described as being incredibly stupid and lacking any sort of common sense, so I've always had trouble believing that he was the one who started the Northwest's family on their path to wealth (I thought that maybe a son or grand-son of his is the one who helped make up the myth about the Northwest). Am I thinking too much?

The one with the 8½th president suggests that it was around the 1840's that Nathanial Northwest became the new founder, and the latest episode is maybe in 2013(according to the boyband?). The ghost said that it was 105 years ago since he cursed them, so I think it's either the son or grandson of the fake founder of Gravity Falls.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

counterfeitsaint posted:

In typing this post, I just realized, that deer has been around at least a couple episodes. Maybe he and the goat are behind all of this.
Bill's eye is shaped like a goat's eye...

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

InequalityGodzilla posted:

Bill's eye is shaped like a goat's eye...

And which famous evil being is usually portrayed as some sort of goat man...?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Petiso posted:

Newt Gingrich

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Pick posted:

Newt Gingrich

Aside from Newt.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.

Spergminer posted:

the latest episode is maybe in 2013(according to the boyband?)

The show takes place in the summer of 2012, the Sev'ral Timez thing was basically a fourth-wall-breaking callout.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Petiso posted:

Do not gaze into the void of the goat man for therein lies madness.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Recently watched Blendin's game. I know this is going to sound weird, but I kind of identify with Soos. Not just because of the whole goon thing, but like his childhood and how he's latino but the culture isn't really a direct part of his identity. It's kind of nice to see someone like me in way beyond "goonlord".

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Spergminer posted:

The one with the 8½th president suggests that it was around the 1840's that Nathanial Northwest became the new founder, and the latest episode is maybe in 2013(according to the boyband?). The ghost said that it was 105 years ago since he cursed them, so I think it's either the son or grandson of the fake founder of Gravity Falls.
I'm not sure that works. True, "Irrational Treasure" suggests that Quentin Trembley founded the town around the 1840', but the pioneer day festival is supposed to mirror the year 1863, and the top-secret document about the cover-up says that Nathaniel Northwest was elected as Quentin's successor as mayor (and patsy for the founder of Gravity Falls) that same year. So it seems that the building of the manor coincides with the faked founding of the town, so I guess that was Nathaniel Northwest who built the manor.

Okay, I'm going to file that as a minor continuity error then.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
You realize that a hundred and five years before 2012 is 1907, right? That's at least two generations after Nathaniel Northwest would've been established at the latest.

Edit: Unless the person above you made a typo and it's supposed to be 150 years, but even then that's a gap of 20 years between Quinton getting elected and the mansion being built, which would be more than enough time for Northwest's son to take over.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Feb 22, 2015

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Edit: Unless the person above you made a typo and it's supposed to be 150 years, but even then that's a gap of 20 years between Quinton getting elected and the mansion being built, which would be more than enough time for Northwest's son to take over.
The person above me made a typo, yes, sorry I should have pointed this out. However, I think you misunderstood my math : Quentin Trembley, America's silliest president and certifiably insane founder of Gravity Falls, presumably found the valley and built the town around the 1840', when he was kicked out of office. In the present day, the Gravity Falls residents believe that their town was founded in 1863 by Nathaniel Northwest, which coincides with the year when the later was elected as a patsy into the mayoral position. Which means that Nathaniel Northwest, the village idiot who only spoke in a series of grunts and managed to kill himself by choking on a giant piece of bark because of his life-long dream of eating an entire oak, is indeed the guy who had that mansion built. It doesn't seem to add up!

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
Okay, I see where you're coming from. To be fair, it could still be his son that built the mansion, since we don't know how old Nathaniel was when he was made mayor. That'd definitely be a question to try and ask Hirsch on Twitter or something, though.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

X_Toad posted:

The person above me made a typo, yes, sorry I should have pointed this out. However, I think you misunderstood my math : Quentin Trembley, America's silliest president and certifiably insane founder of Gravity Falls, presumably found the valley and built the town around the 1840', when he was kicked out of office. In the present day, the Gravity Falls residents believe that their town was founded in 1863 by Nathaniel Northwest, which coincides with the year when the later was elected as a patsy into the mayoral position. Which means that Nathaniel Northwest, the village idiot who only spoke in a series of grunts and managed to kill himself by choking on a giant piece of bark because of his life-long dream of eating an entire oak, is indeed the guy who had that mansion built. It doesn't seem to add up!

Maybe he directed that the manor be built with a series of grunts and he encouraged them to log the entire forest for lumber because he secretly intended to eat one of the fallen trees.

No, but realistically, pioneers had kids pretty young back then - Nathaniel might still have been alive back then but could have had an adult son who ordered the manor built.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vO-Ms1RHllU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Only two weeks? I'm surprised.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Petiso posted:

I'm not really sure if you could call goat man evil per se, but the things he's done to his rectum are certainly up there with eldritch abominations.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.
Teaser for the next episode, "Not What He Seems":

The corkboard in the background has some bits and pieces that could support Stanford/Stanley. Specifically, the "NO MATCH FOUND" for the fingerprints makes me think that Stanford actually IS Stanley, and the real Stanford was the traveling researcher who was sucked through the portal. His twin brother became the new Stanford to cover up the disappearance while he searched for the journals and tried to get the real Stanford back.

edit: Here's a good catch from 4chan that backs up the previous paragraph: http://41.media.tumblr.com/40be66142561a4657a75b1f356afbc1c/tumblr_nk5hrw3UlK1rvlxxwo5_1280.png

pksage fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Feb 23, 2015

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

pksage posted:

Teaser for the next episode, "Not What He Seems":

The corkboard in the background has some bits and pieces that could support Stanford/Stanley. Specifically, the "NO MATCH FOUND" for the fingerprints makes me think that Stanford actually IS Stanley, and the real Stanford was the traveling researcher who was sucked through the portal. His twin brother became the new Stanford to cover up the disappearance while he searched for the journals and tried to get the real Stanford back.

edit: Here's a good catch from 4chan that backs up the previous paragraph: http://41.media.tumblr.com/40be66142561a4657a75b1f356afbc1c/tumblr_nk5hrw3UlK1rvlxxwo5_1280.png

Interesting stuff with the 4chan link, but seriously, three posts up.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
I thought pretty much everyone accepted the Stanford/Stanley thing. That short clip in Time Traveler's Pig showed us a young Stan with a cleft chin. That's one of those dominant/recessive gene things. In other words it was a different Stan from our grunkle. Also there's the glasses that he was wearing and the same glasses were again found in Carpet Diem, where Grunkle Stan quickly grabs them and is later on showed holding them, looking mournful.

Of course, it could all be a huge red herring and it turns out [deviladvocate]it wasn't a cleft chin, just a small scar he got from some slight accident and it then healed up. The glasses just remind of Stan how much pussy he used to score when he was younger or whatever. It still doesn't explain why Stan didn't wear those glasses in his memories in Dreamscaperers, but maybe they are his special pussy-scoring glasses and he can't use them anymore due to sinister reasons.[/deviladvocate]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011
Another useless observation about the latest episode : is it just me or did Marius actually have something on his shirt when Grenda pulled the trick? Like a big yellow stain, as if he had broken an egg on it?

• Locked thread