Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Is there any way to use a nexus 5 on verizon? I know it was under review for a long time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

lampey posted:

Is there any way to use a nexus 5 on verizon? I know it was under review for a long time

No, cannot work. It doesn't have the correct radio support.

Favorabilis Solitud
May 18, 2006
And that's the way it was.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Everyone and their mother has either a Galaxy or iPhone so it's much easier to get help.

This is very true and needs to be considered. However the vast majority of tech calls are for iphones. I would say the majority of those iphone calls are about simple education of their device. But thats my anecdotal opinion. I think the S3/S4 are very solid options, the best you can do for a stop gap.

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014
Anyone know if we can start walking into stores to get our phones unlocked yet?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Verizon hasn't sold a locked phone for years.

Sirbloody
Aug 21, 2005

Don't fuck with the Rabbi!
Another stupid question!

I have 2 unlimited lines and 1 dumb phone line. Line 1 (My line) is out of contract and is eligible for upgrade, can I transfer Line 1's upgrade to the dumb phone to the smartphone I would like and cancel the data plan back to the dumb phone and use the new shiny smartphone on my Line 1? I did this over a year ago on Line 2's upgrade but I do not know if it is still possible.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

A few months ago they killed the loophole of using a dumbphone line as a patsy for upgrades. Now if you use an upgrade on a line, you have to keep the data plan on it for the life of the contract.

Thus it's no longer cheaper to play the upgrade/phone dance than it is to just buy the phone outright.

Sirbloody
Aug 21, 2005

Don't fuck with the Rabbi!

kitten smoothie posted:

A few months ago they killed the loophole of using a dumbphone line as a patsy for upgrades. Now if you use an upgrade on a line, you have to keep the data plan on it for the life of the contract.

Thus it's no longer cheaper to play the upgrade/phone dance than it is to just buy the phone outright.

Ouch that's a shame, I guess I will either look for a used S4 or save up to by the S5 outright (W00t for insurance bills!).

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

bull3964 posted:

Verizon hasn't sold a locked phone for years.

Are you sure? A year or two ago, I tried to put an Icelandic sim card into my GNexus and it just laughed and did nothing :negative:

Hopefully that isn't the case with my S5...

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

kinkouin posted:

Are you sure? A year or two ago, I tried to put an Icelandic sim card into my GNexus and it just laughed and did nothing :negative:

The Galaxy Nexus wasn't a global phone. It lacked GSM hardware altogether.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

kinkouin posted:

Hopefully that isn't the case with my S5...

Everything since the S4 has been reliably global.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
What's the state of mobile hotspots these days? Can Verizon still block me from using them unless I pay their bullshit fee?

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

What's the state of mobile hotspots these days? Can Verizon still block me from using them unless I pay their bullshit fee?

I think tethering is included in your plan as long as you don't have unlimited data. You could try turning it on and find out.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

bull3964 posted:

You should be able to. I've done it a few times.

It keeps yelling at me that I need to add a plan when I try to remove the plan.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

FordPRefectLL posted:

Everything since the S4 has been reliably global.

S3, I think. My S4 and my wife's S3 worked fine in Germany with local sim cards. I had CM, so the APN worked automagically, but I think I had to add the APN manually for her.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

The S3 had a ton of trouble working globally beyond voice/text, which is why I included the "reliably" caveat.

http://www.cnet.com/news/turns-out-verizons-galaxy-s3-isnt-global-ready-after-all/

If you were able to get it running, though... *shrug*

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM
Hey guys. So I'm actually going to ask peoples opinions about phones for once. Weird.

So due to a unique situation, I'm going to be able to upgrade again. And I'm really torn.

Currently, I use a G3. Which I do love and all. But im 2 for 2 on dead mics so, I'm really not looking to do a 3rd one. So while I'd just pick up a moto X or something, Id rather not burn a upgrade on a 49.99 phone. So stuff I'm looking at and why.

Note 4.
~Pros
-Screen size. Similar to my G3
-Battery. Apparently its ballin
-OS updates for a least a little while
~Cons
-Its samsung, touchwiz, etc.
-Its still plastic at the end of the day so it feels cheap.

Note Edge
I have no pros and cons list. I'm curious if anyones had any real long term world hands on stuff with it. Looks fun but eh.

iPhone 6
~Pros
-Its apple. Resale value
-Recently bought an iPad, Already sort of use the ecosystem
-It'll work and if it dont, a reset normally fixes it.
~Cons
-Screen size. Its a bit small.
-Wireless charging. Gonna miss that

iPhone 6+
Same as above, and actually I think I'd real world prefer the 6+. My concern is the bending bullshit. I actually use thin shell cases at most, I wear jeans that fit correctly so pockets are semi tight. So if thats still an issue I may just skip the + all together sadly. I'm loving hard on phones, and I'm sure ill end up with a bent unit if they are the same as launch 6+s

Turbo and a few others are on my comedy option lists but really a muddy camera isnt what I'm looking for. I really feel like I'm shoving myself into apple honestly and thats ok. But I figured getting some outside weird goon perspectives might make me think about some other poo poo before then.

Have to loving decide before tomorrow morning too. Fun fun!

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

I love my Turbo, and the camera is 21 megapickles nice. I've never really had the slow/crappy use issue with the stock camera app at all.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

It sounds like from your pros and cons it seems like the iPhone 6 is your best choice. Otherwise, it seems like you should go with the Note 4. Touchwiz isn't the massive dealbreaker like YOSPOS makes it out to be.

e: I own the Turbo and I kind of regret switching from the Note 4 to the Turbo because of how bad the camera is comparatively. The battery life is also about the same and the Note 4 charges slightly quicker.

Big Bowie Bonanza fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Feb 13, 2015

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

FordPRefectLL posted:

It sounds like from your pros and cons it seems like the iPhone 6 is your best choice. Otherwise, it seems like you should go with the Note 4. Touchwiz isn't the massive dealbreaker like YOSPOS makes it out to be.

e: I own the Turbo and I kind of regret switching from the Note 4 to the Turbo because of how bad the camera is comparatively. The battery life is also about the same and the Note 4 charges slightly quicker.

Yeah I only mention the touchwiz to keep the sperglords from mentioning it. Any phone I get will get the google app treatment anyways so whatever.

I'm pretty set on the iPhone to be honest. I'm not against staying android if someone had some honest real compelling reason to just stay in camp google for my main phone. I mean, other than I am really stupid invested into google (All access, 1000s in apps and poo poo, multiple business accounts, cloud, etc.), I cant find a major reason really. All Access Music was my last major reason and google finally got smart and released an iPhone app that works great.

Whats the water cooler news on the bendy 6+ stuff? Something like a bumper prevent that? Is it fixed? Overblown problem? Because honestly I could see myself bending one in a pocket if its really still a possible thing. Big phone, Normal jeans. But gently caress man, The screen really is kinda a big deal.

Turbos camera really is decent? Got some sample shots of cats or something? I need all the camera help I can get, I'm awful at taking photos and the G3 really shined for me there. Oddly a camera is stupid important for whatever reason these days. Maybe its getting older or something and wanting memories.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

EbolaIvory posted:

Yeah I only mention the touchwiz to keep the sperglords from mentioning it. Any phone I get will get the google app treatment anyways so whatever.

I'm pretty set on the iPhone to be honest. I'm not against staying android if someone had some honest real compelling reason to just stay in camp google for my main phone. I mean, other than I am really stupid invested into google (All access, 1000s in apps and poo poo, multiple business accounts, cloud, etc.), I cant find a major reason really. All Access Music was my last major reason and google finally got smart and released an iPhone app that works great.

Whats the water cooler news on the bendy 6+ stuff? Something like a bumper prevent that? Is it fixed? Overblown problem? Because honestly I could see myself bending one in a pocket if its really still a possible thing. Big phone, Normal jeans. But gently caress man, The screen really is kinda a big deal.

Turbos camera really is decent? Got some sample shots of cats or something? I need all the camera help I can get, I'm awful at taking photos and the G3 really shined for me there. Oddly a camera is stupid important for whatever reason these days. Maybe its getting older or something and wanting memories.

Here's one from the Blazer game last week, I think there was a little zoom on it from the luxury box.

Dinner from the other night

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

kensei posted:

Here's one from the Blazer game last week, I think there was a little zoom on it from the luxury box.

Dinner from the other night

Well thats pretty drat good actually. I assume you're a regular joe who takes poo poo pictures ya?

Maybe ill have to try and hold a turbo before making the choice if I stay android. Screens what, 5 on that?

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

EbolaIvory posted:

Well thats pretty drat good actually. I assume you're a regular joe who takes poo poo pictures ya?

Maybe ill have to try and hold a turbo before making the choice if I stay android. Screens what, 5 on that?

That is me exactly. I think it's a little bigger than 5" but the QHD is gorgeous.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Best battery life iphone 5s 3g or lte?

At work we just switched from vzw blackberry bolds to iphone 5ses. I maybe make 1 call a day and check my email a half dozen times. That's it no YouTube or games or anything I have my own phone for that.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Vin BioEthanol posted:

Best battery life iphone 5s 3g or lte?

Depends on the strength of the signal. If your phone is constantly struggling to maintain an lte signal, then your battery will drain faster.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

EbolaIvory posted:

Note Edge
I have no pros and cons list. I'm curious if anyones had any real long term world hands on stuff with it. Looks fun but eh.
My wife has a Note Edge and she loves it. She finds the sidebar super convenient. The only thing I hear her complain about is when an app wants you to swipe in from the right for anything.

That said between those options, I'd probably get the iPhone 6 or 6+ because it's just a goddamn sexy phone and feels way better in the hand than the Notes.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Super Dude posted:

Depends on the strength of the signal. If your phone is constantly struggling to maintain an lte signal, then your battery will drain faster.

If signal strength for either was equal is one more power efficient than the other?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Vin BioEthanol posted:

If signal strength for either was equal is one more power efficient than the other?

WIth modern phones, LTE should be more power efficient than EVDO.

Verizon's LTE footprint is nearly the same as their 3g footprint at this point in time. I wouldn't waste my time with a non-lte phone.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

c355n4 posted:

It keeps yelling at me that I need to add a plan when I try to remove the plan.

There are 2 ways to tether on a Verizon phone.

1. Use a 3rd party tethering app (FoxFi, etc). If you are on a tiered data plan, there is nothing they can do to stop you, whether you have it on your plan or not (thanks, FCC). If you're on an unlimited data plan, they can technically stop you, but I haven't heard of anyone getting the book thrown at them for it.

2. Use Verizon's hotspot app, which costs a monthly fee.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Vin BioEthanol posted:

Byte-for-byte, LTE is vastly more power efficient than EVDO.

Time-for-time, EVDO is much more efficient than LTE.

The upshot being, if you have an equal LTE and EVDO signal, you'll use much less power for the same download just because the LTE transfer will finish in a very small fraction of the time for EVDO.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

EbolaIvory posted:

I've had my 6+ since launch. As long as you don't put the phone in your back pocket and sit on it, or wear skinny jeans, you should be fine? Then again, I'm 6'4" and wear normal jeans and put my phone in my front pocket with no issues so w/e.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Dancing Peasant posted:

I've had my 6+ since launch. As long as you don't put the phone in your back pocket and sit on it, or wear skinny jeans, you should be fine? Then again, I'm 6'4" and wear normal jeans and put my phone in my front pocket with no issues so w/e.

I'm guessing itll be ok. I dont wear skinny jeans, and the 1 pair I do wear thats tight in the pockets isnt "that' tight thankfully.

Anyone know what could cause my 6+ to activate, but not have voice? I have text, data, but incoming and outgoing voice just call fails, or says "You have reached a non working number". For every call.

So confused.

SO far, Leather apple branded case is awesome. So thanks for the recommends on that.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Feb 19, 2015

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

EbolaIvory posted:

Anyone know what could cause my 6+ to activate, but not have voice? I have text, data, but incoming and outgoing voice just call fails, or says "You have reached a non working number". For every call.
Did you use a SIM card that used to be active on another line? I had a RAZR MAXX (micro SIM,) upgraded to a Moto X (nano SIM) by putting in the IMEI and SIM number on Verizon's website, gave the micro SIM from the MAXX to my brother when he got his first LTE phone, and he had to call Verizon to activate it because it was "still registered to another phone" in their words.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

GWBBQ posted:

Did you use a SIM card that used to be active on another line? I had a RAZR MAXX (micro SIM,) upgraded to a Moto X (nano SIM) by putting in the IMEI and SIM number on Verizon's website, gave the micro SIM from the MAXX to my brother when he got his first LTE phone, and he had to call Verizon to activate it because it was "still registered to another phone" in their words.

Nope.
New sim that came with my 6+ straight from verizon.

EDIT: Hours later, Still no voice other than 611,
Every call still says "You have reached a non working number" with the same error code. Regardless of area of town etc. Support thinks they know whats wrong every time, we do some resets, same problem.

Think convincing them to reprovision my old poo poo, then swapping back to the iphone would help? Voice is kinda a big deal, it is my only phone.

Turns out. For whatever reason the HD calling feature code is causing my line to basically forget what voice calls are. Worked fine on my old phone, iphone no dice.

Boohoo, no HD calling until they figure it out.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Feb 20, 2015

DAMN NIGGA
Aug 15, 2008

by Lowtax
I'm looking to switch over to T-Mobile, but my contract isn't up until mid-March. I signed up March 2013.

How much will the ETF be for 2 iPhones?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

If you signed up March 2013 you're on the old ETF plan which is $350 minus $10 for every month you've used. So if you cut off the line in the 24th month you still owe $120 per line.

Unless you absolutely positively have to jump, I'd stick it out for a few more weeks until your contract is up; mid-March isn't that far off now (thankfully, I'm getting sick of this winter).

DAMN NIGGA
Aug 15, 2008

by Lowtax
Weird, the website is showing my contract end date being in May. Am I missing something here, isn't supposed to end in March?

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord
If you're switching to T-Mobile, I think they're still doing that deal where they'll pay off your contract if you trade in your phone and buy a new one from them. If you really can't bear to wait a few more weeks for your contract to finish the normal way, that might also be an option.

jason
Jul 25, 2002

My iPhone 5s is out of warranty/Applecare coverage and about to poo poo the bed. Guess it's time to upgrade to the 6 and looking for some advice on the best way to proceed as far as plans go.

I am currently out-of-contract on a $60/mo 2GB Single Line Plan. Can I keep this plan if I buy a discounted phone with a new 2-year contract? Is there a better deal than this currently available? It doesn't seem so from looking at the website.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010

jason posted:

My iPhone 5s is out of warranty/Applecare coverage and about to poo poo the bed. Guess it's time to upgrade to the 6 and looking for some advice on the best way to proceed as far as plans go.

I am currently out-of-contract on a $60/mo 2GB Single Line Plan. Can I keep this plan if I buy a discounted phone with a new 2-year contract? Is there a better deal than this currently available? It doesn't seem so from looking at the website.

That was a promotIonal plan, no longer available. I don't believe you should have to change plans when you upgrade. If 2 gigs is all you use, stay where you are.

• Locked thread