Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Plafop posted:

Also I agree with good gbs mod gnarlyhotep. Picking between two wall street candidates is no choice at all. End the Fed.

The alternative is a choice between one financial-supported candidate, and no candidate.

Expand the powers of the Fed to include direct transfers to states and permitting the Fed to purchase state bonds at will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plafop
Oct 11, 2012

by Ralp

My Imaginary GF posted:

The alternative is a choice between one financial-supported candidate, and no candidate.

Expand the powers of the Fed to include direct transfers to states and permitting the Fed to purchase state bonds at will.

That's the same choice as the one I just said. I'm more interested in the American Hitler at least it wouldn't be boring.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
The idea that "voting for the lesser of evils isn't a choice, maaaaaaan" only really applies if you're already a super privileged class. Is there going to be a difference between hillary and jeb for a 35-year old straight white guy who works a desk and makes ~50k? Probably not, but Hillary isn't going to nominate someone to replace Ginsberg that would overturn Roe, and if McCain had been in office, whoever he picked to replace Souter and Stevens for drat sure would uphold DOMA.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Actually it would be really loving boring because the majority of the media would be replaced with state-sanctioned wholesome propaganda pieces and echo chambers. Sorry, GBS is a threat to national security and has been closed, but we imported your SA account over to Free Republic!

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine

comes along bort posted:

Is anyone other than Jim Webb and maybe Joe Scarborough taking him seriously?

A guy I know that is very passionate about prison/sentencing reform.

As far as people I know who are passionate about one Dem possibility or another, I know one guy from Baltimore who likes O'Malley but wants Warren (NOT RUNNING), that Webb guy, a number of old Kucinich hands backing Sanders (don't really feel like wasting that time myself this time around, I'm a disenchanted lefty who'd rather complain online and I hate most online progressives), and all the Hillary folks, every one of which works in politics or lobbying or "consulting" or wants desperately to. Now, this is colored by me having been involved in the DC bubble I'm sure. I'm sure there's someone out there that wants Hillary not because of career-related reasons (GOP president means a lot fewer chances to move up). But why anyone wouldn't just back the most ideal candidate and this pointless point in the race and settle later if not for career reasons is beyond me.

De Nomolos fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Feb 22, 2015

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Is Hillary Rodham Clinton a McDonald’s Big Mac or a Chipotle burrito bowl?

quote:

Clinton and her image-makers are sketching ways to refresh the well-established brand for tomorrow’s marketplace. In their mission to present voters with a winning picture of the likely candidate, no detail is too big or too small — from her economic opportunity agenda to the design of the “H” in her future campaign logo.

“It’s exactly the same as selling an iPhone or a soft drink or a cereal,” said Peter Sealey, a longtime corporate marketing strategist. “She needs to use everything a brand has: a dominant color, a logo, a symbol. . . . The symbol of a Mercedes is a three-pointed star. The symbol of Coca-Cola is the contour bottle. The symbol of McDonald’s is the golden arches. What is Clinton’s symbol?”

In 2016, a challenge for Clinton will be adapting to the political moment with a fresh image while remaining true to her settled identity. “Look at Budweiser,” said a former campaign adviser to President Obama, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to talk candidly. “That’s what Hillary Clinton is. She’s not a microbrew. She’s one of the biggest, most powerful brands ever in the country, and recognizing that is important.”

Sealey, who is credited with the successful “Always Coca-Cola” campaign in the 1990s, said that Clinton, like Coke, “has incredible top-of-mind awareness, and it’s a huge asset.”

“The issue is: What is her promise?” he said. “With Mercedes, it’s quality. With Volvo, it’s safety. With Coca-Cola, it’s refreshment. If you can get her promise down to one word, that’s the key.”

Rushing and Spence ­co-founded the Purpose Institute, where Rushing’s title is “chief purposeologist” and the staffers act as “organizational therapists” uncovering the central purposes of their client organizations. Rushing said she is not working on the Clinton effort but that she envisions a Clinton brand built around years of experience. She said, “Everything emanates from, ‘What is Hillary’s purpose in the world?’ ”

“Refresh with the times is the issue McDonald’s is facing right now,” he said. “It’s considered tired, and the marketplace has moved on. ”

Fabian Geyrhalter, a corporate branding consultant, also drew a parallel between McDonald’s and Clinton: “There has been a brand value proposition over so many years, and suddenly she needs to shift that legacy into Clinton 2016: ‘This is what I stand for now.’ ”

:shepicide:

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
Politics is so loving stupid.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine

Sanders is a really good burrito from a gross looking cart.

Webb is Arby's.

Plafop
Oct 11, 2012

by Ralp

QwertyAsher posted:

The idea that "voting for the lesser of evils isn't a choice, maaaaaaan" only really applies if you're already a super privileged class. Is there going to be a difference between hillary and jeb for a 35-year old straight white guy who works a desk and makes ~50k? Probably not, but Hillary isn't going to nominate someone to replace Ginsberg that would overturn Roe, and if McCain had been in office, whoever he picked to replace Souter and Stevens for drat sure would uphold DOMA.

Nobody's overturning Roe v Wade dude, get real.

Quidam Viator
Jan 24, 2001

ask me about how voting Donald Trump was worth 400k and counting dead.

VitalSigns posted:

What if the economic collapse and coup happens but we end up with a fascist dictator less stupid than Hitler or Mussolini? Ready for 40 years of American Francoism? I'll call this the good option.

The bad option is you're right and we do get an insane megalomaniac like Hitler. Only it's America so it'll be a Christian Dominionist, and rather than getting invaded we'll have a nuclear exchange.

Still think accelerationism is cool?

Yes, and without question. Your "good option" is STILL a destabilization of the carefully-crafted two party system that is choking us all to death. I believe very seriously that we have been deliberately entertained into submission, and that the only thing that allows this worthless system to ramble on long past its usefulness is our apathy, our carefully cultivated apathy. That feeling expressed by Gnarlyhotep, that is increasingly the voice of the past few generations.

People like you who are still committed to the partisan fight despite what's happened in the past 35 years are going to exist, and your smug lecturing about the terrible, world-changing events I believe we should call in to being is condescending. The kind of complete absence from pain and want and revolution and bloodshed and childhood disease and suffering that you have experienced as a millennial American is a fluke, and all the work of the early 20th century that made it possible has been dismantled while you've allowed 35 years of partisan reindeer games. But you believe if you keep on going the same way you always have, that somehow, you're going to get a different result. And because I genuinely believe and actively promote destabilizing your fragile, rickety-rear end system, which you still think IS WORKING JUST FINE, you get all huffy and act like I'm the rear end in a top hat.

Here's the newsflash: you've got a few decades TOPS before one of your nightmare scenarios above happens any way, unless you're a climate denier, don't believe America is becoming anti-intellectual, that there's no gigantic student loan bubble about to pop, and you really believe all our vigorous action after 2008 fixed all those bankers' wagons right good. You'd have to be THAT stupid to think that staying the course is going to result in a non-catastrophic solution, and who knows, maybe you are.

The reality from where I'm standing is that nobody in here has any GOOD reason to vote for either of the candidates that we will be offered. You'll do the same stupid thing you've been doing and vote for the lesser of two evils, forgetting all the time that the only thing you're doing is buying time for those in extraction and exploitation to rape the whole human race and the planet while you and your political opponents gently caress around like a monkey trying to hump a football.

And yes, let's just assume that conditions in America are identical to those of Francoist Spain in the 1930s or the Weimar Republic. Of course, it's going to turn out in exactly the facile way that you assume.

I think what offends you most is that my beliefs are, fundamentally, that people are good, and when faced up-front with real horror, that modern humans CAN look at the abyss they've been pushing toward, see that it means destruction, and pull back, hopefully before they destroy the entire planet. I believe that we have been deliberately shielded from seeing the full and personal effects of the destruction we are wreaking. You, on the other hand, have fully bought into an us vs. them scenario, where "us" means reasonable, progressive people who care about saving the world, and "them" is Freep and every other dumb and god drat crazy person FYGMing their way towards apocalypse, and that it is your noble white knight obligation to find them, and slay them like a serpent.

Well, show me your loving lance, St. George! Who the gently caress do YOU have that's going to stop everything bad that's coming down the pike? Who's your secret weapon? Hillary loving Clinton? Fine, I know I'll never change your mind; you go vote for her, and I'll be over here, desperately trying to force actual change before it's too late.

YOUR loving SYSTEM IS BUILT TO RESIST RAPID CHANGE AND THE WORLD IS RAPIDLY CHANGING.

Why is this so hard to understand? Does nobody have ANY urgency at all?

Plafop
Oct 11, 2012

by Ralp

Quidam Viator posted:

Yes, and without question. Your "good option" is STILL a destabilization of the carefully-crafted two party system that is choking us all to death. I believe very seriously that we have been deliberately entertained into submission, and that the only thing that allows this worthless system to ramble on long past its usefulness is our apathy, our carefully cultivated apathy. That feeling expressed by Gnarlyhotep, that is increasingly the voice of the past few generations.

People like you who are still committed to the partisan fight despite what's happened in the past 35 years are going to exist, and your smug lecturing about the terrible, world-changing events I believe we should call in to being is condescending. The kind of complete absence from pain and want and revolution and bloodshed and childhood disease and suffering that you have experienced as a millennial American is a fluke, and all the work of the early 20th century that made it possible has been dismantled while you've allowed 35 years of partisan reindeer games. But you believe if you keep on going the same way you always have, that somehow, you're going to get a different result. And because I genuinely believe and actively promote destabilizing your fragile, rickety-rear end system, which you still think IS WORKING JUST FINE, you get all huffy and act like I'm the rear end in a top hat.

Here's the newsflash: you've got a few decades TOPS before one of your nightmare scenarios above happens any way, unless you're a climate denier, don't believe America is becoming anti-intellectual, that there's no gigantic student loan bubble about to pop, and you really believe all our vigorous action after 2008 fixed all those bankers' wagons right good. You'd have to be THAT stupid to think that staying the course is going to result in a non-catastrophic solution, and who knows, maybe you are.

The reality from where I'm standing is that nobody in here has any GOOD reason to vote for either of the candidates that we will be offered. You'll do the same stupid thing you've been doing and vote for the lesser of two evils, forgetting all the time that the only thing you're doing is buying time for those in extraction and exploitation to rape the whole human race and the planet while you and your political opponents gently caress around like a monkey trying to hump a football.

And yes, let's just assume that conditions in America are identical to those of Francoist Spain in the 1930s or the Weimar Republic. Of course, it's going to turn out in exactly the facile way that you assume.

I think what offends you most is that my beliefs are, fundamentally, that people are good, and when faced up-front with real horror, that modern humans CAN look at the abyss they've been pushing toward, see that it means destruction, and pull back, hopefully before they destroy the entire planet. I believe that we have been deliberately shielded from seeing the full and personal effects of the destruction we are wreaking. You, on the other hand, have fully bought into an us vs. them scenario, where "us" means reasonable, progressive people who care about saving the world, and "them" is Freep and every other dumb and god drat crazy person FYGMing their way towards apocalypse, and that it is your noble white knight obligation to find them, and slay them like a serpent.

Well, show me your loving lance, St. George! Who the gently caress do YOU have that's going to stop everything bad that's coming down the pike? Who's your secret weapon? Hillary loving Clinton? Fine, I know I'll never change your mind; you go vote for her, and I'll be over here, desperately trying to force actual change before it's too late.

YOUR loving SYSTEM IS BUILT TO RESIST RAPID CHANGE AND THE WORLD IS RAPIDLY CHANGING.

Yeah.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Quidam Viator posted:

Governmental systems that are not built to resist rapid change tend to spiral into chaos and self-destruct in pretty short order.

Resistance to rapid change in government is also a lot of fun just because it's so annoying to ideologues who demand instant gratification.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

De Nomolos posted:

Sanders is a really good burrito from a gross looking cart.

Webb is Arby's.

Huckabee is a deep-fried stick of butter from a fair. Santorum is one of those gross Double Down things from KFC.

Also, in case anyone wanted to know what leading Republicans feel about Obama and his love for America, USA Today has a breakdown:

http://onpolitics.usatoday.com/2015/02/22/obama-loves-america-2016-gop-candidates/

The consensus: Obama is in love with America, but misguided and weak on terrorism. Except for Jindal, who thinks Guiliani got it right, and Walker, who punted.

William Bear fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Feb 22, 2015

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
Edit

Quidam Viator
Jan 24, 2001

Deteriorata posted:

Governmental systems that are not built to resist rapid change tend to spiral into chaos and self-destruct in pretty short order.

Resistance to rapid change in government is also a lot of fun just because it's so annoying to ideologues who demand instant gratification.

And you don't think that our political parties have taken advantage of the slowness of our system to create a gridlock that is extremely beneficial for the wealthy? Like your only emotion about this is glee because I'm getting worked up and worried that we have genuine financial and ecological catastrophes barrelling down on us?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Santorum is a communion wafer, obviously

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Quidam Viator posted:

And you don't think that our political parties have taken advantage of the slowness of our system to create a gridlock that is extremely beneficial for the wealthy? Like your only emotion about this is glee because I'm getting worked up and worried that we have genuine financial and ecological catastrophes barrelling down on us?

When your "worry" is to masturbate about burning everything to the ground, yes.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

baw posted:

Politics is so loving stupid.

Quidam Viator
Jan 24, 2001

computer parts posted:

When your "worry" is to masturbate about burning everything to the ground, yes.

There's no masturbation or glee in any of this. I'm dead serious. Look at the post above this. The system has become a ridiculous mockery of itself. I'd be much happier if people would stay away from the fire without having to touch it, but WELP! Looks like you can just sit there, on fire, and tell yourself it's all ok.

THIS POLITICAL SYSTEM IS WORKING.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Quidam Viator posted:

There's no masturbation or glee in any of this.

"Our enemies are literally Hitler but the only way to stop them is to give them complete control guys! :iamafag:"

Go find some proper medication.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Quidam Viator posted:

While I agree with most of what you've said in your past couple posts, and I wholeheartedly agree with the sentiment, there is literally (and I mean literally in the actual meaning of the word) nothing you and I can do to change things. The rich are in control, have always been in control and their one goal is status quo so that they can remain in control. I know it's a somewhat nihilistic viewpoint, but it reflects reality and is the main reason I stay out of politics altogether. Politics is just another circus sideshow to give you the illusion of meaning and effect.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Plafop posted:

Nobody's overturning Roe v Wade dude, get real.

There's already three votes to overturn it sitting on the bench right now

Quidam Viator
Jan 24, 2001

gnarlyhotep posted:

While I agree with most of what you've said in your past couple posts, and I wholeheartedly agree with the sentiment, there is literally (and I mean literally in the actual meaning of the word) nothing you and I can do to change things. The rich are in control, have always been in control and their one goal is status quo so that they can remain in control. I know it's a somewhat nihilistic viewpoint, but it reflects reality and is the main reason I stay out of politics altogether. Politics is just another circus sideshow to give you the illusion of meaning and effect.

And yet, the minute I start talking about attacking the system's structural weaknesses, I have people attacking me left and right. I'm genuinely glad you showed up here with a divergent opinion, because YOU are really the kind of person that the DnD denizens have to motivate, and I don't believe they have the strategy, the intensity, or the focus to convince you to change your behavior.

This "circus sideshow" of politics can get strangely real when people stand up and do radical things. Real changes can happen in the world when people are motivated enough to face blood, danger, and defeat in the name of change.

I'm glad that you agree with most of what I've said. I'm just curious, for shits and giggles, if I had a way to make it easy for you to vote, so that it literally took no time out of your life, and made a "Let's Vote Republican to Destroy the Country!" PAC, do you think I could get a comedy vote out of you? Or would you still not vote on principle, EVEN THOUGH you already said your vote didn't matter?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

so why can't we skip the fascist genocides and go straight to Full Communism instead? it seems like an...unnecessary step, to say the least

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Aliquid posted:

so why can't we skip the fascist genocides and go straight to Full Communism instead? it seems like an...unnecessary step, to say the least

Because then no one will be naming their kids Lenin.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

forbidden lesbian posted:

Lol bowls or bigmacs
It think this is just the case of Hildawg hiring loving retarded people. loving retarded expensive rear end people.

I don't know why all the 17 year olds decided this was the time to Occupy D&D but, uh, poo poo sucks so many invest time in local elections or neighborhood council type poo poo?

Quidam Viator
Jan 24, 2001

Aliquid posted:

Because both parties, in service of the rich, and in opposition to the USSR, have made full communism, the system I'd really prefer, absolutely anathema, and then done worse. They've used Obama as a post-cold war example, and have muddied the waters SO thoroughly, calling him a fascist, communist, Kenyan, Muslim, that near-half of this country would literally have to go through fascist genocide before they would allow themselves to be part of a community, in a communistic state.

We have LET this happen. You're not getting socialism, or communism, or anything like it, until you figure out two things:
1. How to convince the American people to stop listening to the hate- and fear-mongers who seek only to spread division.
2. How to rehabilitate leftist politics in America and get people like Gnarlyhotep to vote.

I genuinely believe that if we ALLOW the current cancer in America to metastasize it just might hurt enough that the patient chooses therapy; I genuinely believe that if we stay our current course, fiscal and economic disaster are inevitable, and the patient dies.

Just argue against my last line. Convince me there's no urgency because of our current ecological and financial behaviors, and :toxx: I will publicly announce that I'm not an accelerationist.(EDIT: and then I'll accept a ban) You convince me that I don't have to worry about speeding things up, that disasters aren't coming, and that our current lawmakers aren't DELIBERATELY obstructionist to serve their corporate masters. I'll bet my 14 year old account on it.

Quidam Viator fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Feb 22, 2015

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Only an alien invasion can save us from the Republican party, I fear.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

redshirt posted:

Or a meteor.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

redshirt posted:

On the contrary.

Only the Republican Party can save us from an alien invasion. :mexico: :gop:

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Quidam Viator posted:

I'm glad that you agree with most of what I've said. I'm just curious, for shits and giggles, if I had a way to make it easy for you to vote, so that it literally took no time out of your life, and made a "Let's Vote Republican to Destroy the Country!" PAC, do you think I could get a comedy vote out of you? Or would you still not vote on principle, EVEN THOUGH you already said your vote didn't matter?

When it comes to politics I have no principles, so sure.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

Quidam Viator posted:

I genuinely believe that if we ALLOW the current cancer in America to metastasize it just might hurt enough that the patient chooses therapy; I genuinely believe that if we stay our current course, fiscal and economic disaster are inevitable, and the patient dies.

This cancer that you're talking about is the American political system working as intended. I get that you're super okay with loving everything up right now for some nebulous hoped for better future. The odds of that better future showing up do not increase with your methods. poo poo, you don't even want us to do chemo, you want us to do some hosed up tribal sacrifice nonsense (when your ideology involves throwing people to the wolves now because that way you don't have to do it later, it is a bad ideology) because the chemo takes too long. This isn't a fight you win over decades. This is a fight you win over centuries, and by and large the people are winning. Not just the rich people, but all of us. We're better (morally, physically, intellectually, you name it) than our ancestors even dreamed of being, and this isn't a summit, this is the baseline we'll be shooting for if some apocalyptic event starts us over again.

Quidam Viator
Jan 24, 2001

gnarlyhotep posted:

When it comes to politics I have no principles, so sure.

Hell yes. That's all I needed to know. Thanks for shaking up this thread, and maybe we can have a few laughs and gently caress with this stupid system.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

FilthyImp posted:

It think this is just the case of Hildawg hiring loving retarded people. loving retarded expensive rear end people.

Y'know, there's one former Clinton staffer now working as a big-time marketing guy at a big-time company with a couple national campaigns under his belt. She could always call him up instead...

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx

Quidam Viator posted:

Because both parties, in service of the rich, and in opposition to the USSR, have made full communism, the system I'd really prefer, absolutely anathema, and then done worse. They've used Obama as a post-cold war example, and have muddied the waters SO thoroughly, calling him a fascist, communist, Kenyan, Muslim, that near-half of this country would literally have to go through fascist genocide before they would allow themselves to be part of a community, in a communistic state.

We have LET this happen. You're not getting socialism, or communism, or anything like it, until you figure out two things:
1. How to convince the American people to stop listening to the hate- and fear-mongers who seek only to spread division.
2. How to rehabilitate leftist politics in America and get people like Gnarlyhotep to vote.

Just argue against my last line. Convince me there's no urgency because of our current ecological and financial behaviors, and :toxx: I will publicly announce that I'm not an accelerationist.(EDIT: and then I'll accept a ban) You convince me that I don't have to worry about speeding things up, that disasters aren't coming, and that our current lawmakers aren't DELIBERATELY obstructionist to serve their corporate masters. I'll bet my 14 year old account on it.

I'm not going to argue about your last line because everything leading up to it is the stupidest poo poo imaginable.

Here's your argument:

"Bad stuff is coming" - okay, sure

"Our current political system cannot possibly handle the bad stuff coming" - um, okay, because we didn't handle the Great Depression, or either World War, or anything like that, nope, system just won't ever change ever

"Therefore we need to turn things over to the reactionaries and maybe have a fascistic dictatorship" - wait, what?

"Which will only last a few years" - you're sure?

"And won't do that much damage" - that seems kind of in complete contradiction to your main point that catastrophic things are coming

"And will be overthrown by the people" - that seems kind of specious, dude

"And replaced by a much better, more effective, more agile form of government" - because that's the way revolutions always work, they always bring something better, no Jacobins or Khmer here

All of which comes across as kind of why teenagerish "why does no one take me SERIOUSLY, I'll show them, I'll say something STUPID to get their ATTENTION"

So, y'know, good luck!

ETA: Or, y'know, what Peztopiary said better and shorter.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Hey accelerationists! I will bet you ten thousand dollars that the infant mortality rate in the United States is lower in twenty years than it is right now.

Words are free.

EDIT: To be clear, I am betting the infant mortality rate goes down. I am seeking a counterparty who believes it will go up.

Quidam Viator
Jan 24, 2001

Peztopiary posted:

This cancer that you're talking about is the American political system working as intended. I get that you're super okay with loving everything up right now for some nebulous hoped for better future. The odds of that better future showing up do not increase with your methods. poo poo, you don't even want us to do chemo, you want us to do some hosed up tribal sacrifice nonsense (when your ideology involves throwing people to the wolves now because that way you don't have to do it later, it is a bad ideology) because the chemo takes too long. This isn't a fight you win over decades. This is a fight you win over centuries, and by and large the people are winning. Not just the rich people, but all of us. We're better (morally, physically, intellectually, you name it) than our ancestors even dreamed of being, and this isn't a summit, this is the baseline we'll be shooting for if some apocalyptic event starts us over again.

The first thing the last dude did was to say that my idea ends up with either Franco for 40 years or Hitler and a nuclear exchange. I say you're headed for that type of poo poo in the long term if you don't get it out of your system in the short term. My claim is that the climate change data do NOT allow you centuries to make changes. You've got a very limited time before we see the mass migrations, food shortages, and environmental disaster. We will NOT be able to start from our current baseline because we have already burned through all the easy sources of energy and rare earth metals.

And you know what? You're not better than your ancestors in any way that counts. You'll still recklessly exploit the earth and trash the environment so that you never have to face deprivation or disease. And you'll use political power to elevate yourself over the slaves whose lives you steal so that you can have bacon and shiny gadgets. Your ancestors enslaved African-Americans. We (yes, me too) are currently enslaving millions of poor Asians, who have taken up the process from us and are working on enslaving Africans to keep products flowing and costs low, no matter what the long-term effect.

We are a single human race that SHOULD BE UNITED in equality under the law and abundance for all. The system you promote relies fundamentally upon inequality, upon the defense of the wealthy's purloined property from those whom they stole it from. Why are no Americans out in the town square with pitchforks, picketing, striking, organizing as unions? Because you've allowed the rich to neuter you, to castrate you, and to make you believe in one, single lie: keep playing within the system, and things will get better.

The sooner you stop listening to them and start shaking things up, the greater the chance that humanity survives and even reduces the calamities that are headed to us because of our greed, our indifference, and our unwillingness to take drastic action when chaos looms.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Nuking people every so often is just natural, you just have to get it out of your system.

Quidam Viator
Jan 24, 2001

nrook posted:

Hey accelerationists! I will bet you ten thousand dollars that the infant mortality rate in the United States is lower in twenty years than it is right now.

Words are free.

EDIT: To be clear, I am betting the infant mortality rate goes down. I am seeking a counterparty who believes it will go up.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2014/09/29/our-infant-mortality-rate-is-a-national-embarrassment/

That is some weak loving sauce. Noted liberal ragsheet, the Washington loving Post, shows that our terrible fuckups in providing medical care to Americans puts us dead loving last on that issue. And you're bravely betting your fortunes on the fact that we can go from dead last in civilized nations to maybe 26th, and then you should win your bet?

I ain't impressed. We are poo poo as a nation when it comes to health care.

[/quote]"Most striking," they write, "the US has similar neonatal mortality but a substantial disadvantage in postneonatal
mortality" compared to Austria and Finland. In other words, mortality rates among infants in their first days and weeks of life are similar across all three countries. But as infants get older, a mortality gap opens between the U.S. and the other countries, and widens considerably. You can see this clearly in the chart below.[/quote]

WE OFFER ZERO MATERNITY LEAVE, and are like the only nation in the world that lacks a policy, so kids FUCKIN DIE. We are poo poo. Now, in an essay of 300 words or less, explain how our current Congress, Judicial Branch, and Executive will change this embarrassing political fact.

Quidam Viator fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Feb 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
It's interesting that someone who teaches Roman would think accelerationism works and doesn't lead to several hundred years of suck.

• Locked thread