Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

asur posted:

You should try to avoid the question if at all possible. If you do need to give a number then you should give one that is higher than what you want, so above 20k, since you'll be expected in most cases to come down from the starting number. You also should try to figure out what sort of salary to expect either from online sites (glassdoor, etc) or network contacts.

Well the salary I want is 5k under the BLS 2013 data for median salary for my General title qualification in that metro area. Since I have a masters and ~6 years of experience is that a good starting point? I feel like a strong data is a good starting point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

oxsnard posted:

Well the salary I want is 5k under the BLS 2013 data for median salary for my General title qualification in that metro area. Since I have a masters and ~6 years of experience is that a good starting point? I feel like a strong data is a good starting point

You've got a job you're reasonably happy with so you have the ability to walk away, you have oodles of leverage in that regard. You seem to have done your research and have an idea of what money you'd like and what you think you can get and they are close, this is also good. If you can get a glassdoor number on top of the BLS number I'm sure you'd feel better about your position, which is a good one. As mentioned before, politely dodge the question by continually talking about how "finding the right fit is important". Dodging the money question isn't simply some plot to get more money, though it can help in that regard, you really should be more concerned with the environment you'll be working in than the money since you know they theoretically can give you what you want. If they get pushy about the number before you even talk to someone in person this can be a red flag this place is interested in finding the cheapest people, not the best people, consider that before giving up a number (say median +25%).

You really can't lose here:
They force you to give a number before you move on to interview: You tell them and get what you want or they stop wasting your time and you keep on happily at your current job.
You dodge eloquently until they give you a lowball: You go back and ask for what you want and they give it to you or you keep on happily at your current job.
You dodge eloquently until they give you a more money than God: You sip champagne when your thirsty.

tl;dr: Do whatever you want, your position is strong. You should start at median + 10% (or something, so you can gracefully accept less money).

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
That's great advice and thanks for the perspective. I just hate glassdoor, salary and payscale. They don't have enough data for my career path. Some of the data points are in my wheelhouse but others are so hilariously low that I don't know what to make of it. I'd rather Not waste my time interviewing if I'm just looking at the numbers too opimistically.

I'm gonna dodge if pressed and go from there. Thanks!

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

oxsnard posted:

Just read through this whole thread this week. I have a phone screen/initial interview on monday with an extraordinarily large chemical company for a job in texas. I have a job in oil/gas and make a pretty nice salary now. I like my work but this seemed like a good opportunity. Given the job market in Texas right now I'm reasonable confidant I could get a 10k raise no problem. Problem is that in order to justify moving I'd need something in the 20k range which might be on the upper end of possibility for my speciality (environmental engineering).

What number should I throw out when they invariably ask? Again I don't need the job so I'm mostly in shoot for the moon territory here

Given your situation, you can shoot for the moon. If they ask you can even be straight up and say you're very happy where you're at and need a very attractive offer to consider moving. Normally I say the highest reasonable number but if you truly don't care about moving you can be even more aggressive. If you do actually like the opportunity then my usual advice stands. Get a reference and ask for the highest number you can reasonably justify based on the information you have. In this case that number is at least $20k.

oxsnard posted:

With this info I'd say you can go way above $20k more. No reason not to try for something like 90th percentile given your comfort in your current job.

Nameo
Sep 24, 2010
Just wanted to thank everyone in this thread for the advice. After over a year of searching, I finally got an offer for a new job. My counter offer email got me an extra $3,500, with the new offer being $15,000 higher than my current salary. Thanks!

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Nameo posted:

Just wanted to thank everyone in this thread for the advice. After over a year of searching, I finally got an offer for a new job. My counter offer email got me an extra $3,500, with the new offer being $15,000 higher than my current salary. Thanks!

Congrats!

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

One day, this team will play to their expectations...

Just not this year..

This is probably already covered somewhere in the past 24 pages of this thread, but I have a question about it anyway.

I have an offer from a new company. They penciled in a start date of 2 weeks from tomorrow, giving me just enough time to give 2 weeks notice to my current employer. However, I have not yet completed their background check process, upon which their offer is contingent.

How do I tell my new employer that they shouldn't reasonably expect me to give notice to my current employer until I have passed their background check? I have nothing to hide, but at the same time, I can't risk giving notice upon an offer that could be rescinded should they find something that even I wouldn't expect.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Just tell them that you'll submit your two weeks notice once all the contingencies in their offer are met.

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

One day, this team will play to their expectations...

Just not this year..

No Butt Stuff posted:

Just tell them that you'll submit your two weeks notice once all the contingencies in their offer are met.

Simple enough. I think it helps to hear someone else say what you said.

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.
Any thoughts/experience on how to handle salary talks when transferring to a different job in the same company?

I'm in a "people leave managers, not companies" situation, so I did some informal, then formal, interviews for what would be a move up to a Senior role in a different department (different office even) and everything went better than expected (they scheduled 4 people for my technical presentation, I wound up with an audience of 15 :stare:). Given the conversations I had with the recruiter and the department heads, I wouldn't be surprised if it went forward.

It would be a $15K bump to get me up to the Glassdoor average for my city, which I don't think is unreasonable given the shift in responsibilities (and it's also a number that would make me a very happy camper), but it's not like my current salary is a mystery, and while I didn't say anything I'm sure the recruiter knows I don't want to stay in my current department. Basically, I'm feeling vulnerable to a lowball.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Everyone that I talk to always asks "What are you looking to make?"

I'm terrible at guessing what the range they are looking at is, and I'm kind of desperate to leave my current position, so I would accept a slight pay cut. But I don't want to tell them the honest low end of what I'd take. How do I handle this? There's one job I'm applying for right now that I think I'm really qualified for, and they have a salary range posted. Can I just say something along the lines of "I saw the salary range was x, and depending on the exact responsibilities of the position, I think that range sounds appropriate"?

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

oxsnard posted:

My experience with government work is that the only way to get anything beyond the default "performance" raise (usually under the max offered) is to get a new title, which depending on your jurisdictions rules, might require getting a new position posted and going through a open competitive process.

Good luck on even getting that 1.5% though. When I worked for a state agency, our managers were forbidden from giving out 3's (the best) on performance reviews because that mandated a certain raise by law that they didn't have budget for. I'd certainly ask, but unless there are built in escalators in your job track, you can count on poo poo raises forever unless a boss at your job quits (and that never happens lol) and you happen to be in the right place to replace them.

Needless to say, that was the motivation for me to gtfo. If you want true pay increases for performance, don't work in government

Edit: that response was very pessimistic. Reading it again I'd definitely ask about filling the title/pay of the folks who left as their numbers might still be in the budget somewhere. Bosses in govt jobs usually understand concerns like the one you have. It doesn't usually cost them anything, so you should go in and push for it saying that you want to stay around because you like the job so much. I'd point out your concern for room to grow in the future. My experience is that these conversations are much easier in government because most people (including your manager) understand the frustration of the difficulties in getting substantial raises. There will be no hard feelings or animosity so you need to go in calm and relaxed knowing that

I realize I never replied to this, but your points were well made. I finally went in last Friday and made my ask. As I (and you) expected our ability to get raises or other bonuses is severely hamstrung by administrative policy. My boss was very receptive and said he'd see what he could do but I wasn't expecting a lot.

Fast forward to today, when we have an emergency staff meeting because the governor's proposed budget would slash our municipal budget by $4 million :smithicide: The final cut won't be that deep but it's gonna be seven figures probably. After the meeting my boss came to my office to follow up on my raise request. We shared a laugh over the timing of the thing and then he told me that while they couldn't throw any salary or PTO increases my way, they could help me out thanks to a personnel quirk. One of my (higher paygrade) coworkers is pregnant and due to give birth in May. She will be out for 3-4 months. My boss is going to promote me to "acting [her title]" in her absence, which means I will get paid at her paygrade until she returns. That should be another $1,500-$2,500 pretax, which is certainly nothing to sneeze at given my organizations upcoming fiscal troubles!

So thanks to everyone in this thread and oxsnard in particular for replying. It was scary to ask for a raise but definitely the right thing to do. I think the experience will give me more confidence to negotiate if/when I move to a new job in the future.

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

potee posted:

Any thoughts/experience on how to handle salary talks when transferring to a different job in the same company?

I'm in a "people leave managers, not companies" situation, so I did some informal, then formal, interviews for what would be a move up to a Senior role in a different department (different office even) and everything went better than expected (they scheduled 4 people for my technical presentation, I wound up with an audience of 15 :stare:). Given the conversations I had with the recruiter and the department heads, I wouldn't be surprised if it went forward.

It would be a $15K bump to get me up to the Glassdoor average for my city, which I don't think is unreasonable given the shift in responsibilities (and it's also a number that would make me a very happy camper), but it's not like my current salary is a mystery, and while I didn't say anything I'm sure the recruiter knows I don't want to stay in my current department. Basically, I'm feeling vulnerable to a lowball.

Korovyev was in a similar position a few pages ago, I think the advice given to him might help you. The short answer is, you are totally in lowball territory.

Korovyev posted:

Hello lovely people of the offer thread! After successfully helping me snag an extra $5k a year, I'm now in a new predicament I've only seen mentioned briefly in the thread.

Here's the time line:
April 2014: Hired at $50k with $5k bonus at end of the year
December 2014: Receive $5k bonus, praise, and a $2.5k raise
2 weeks ago: Current boss is leaving for another department.
This week: Find out boss' position needs to be filled. She's already suggested me to take over, I have experience with the role, and I had an awesome interview with the guy who would be my boss (currently my boss' boss' boss)

Tonight I received the (sadly expected) lowball offer of $60k for the role, with no mention of a bonus. Checking on Glassdoor, the salary range for San Francisco is $86k- $148k, and even the national range is higher, with $62k on the low end. As I love working for the company, I'd rather not have to jump ship a few years down the line in order to make a reasonable living in this area. Does the following sound reasonable without throwing in the pay ranges?

"Hi Hiring Manager,
Thank you for the offer. I'm pleased that you'd like me to join the Manager Team, however I was surprised and disappointed to see the proposed salary of $60,000, well below the average salary for this position. Given the increase in responsibilities with this new role, the relevant experience I bring to the table, and reduction in annual bonus, I would like to see a higher salary offer before I accept the position."

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Everyone that I talk to always asks "What are you looking to make?"

I'm terrible at guessing what the range they are looking at is, and I'm kind of desperate to leave my current position, so I would accept a slight pay cut. But I don't want to tell them the honest low end of what I'd take. How do I handle this? There's one job I'm applying for right now that I think I'm really qualified for, and they have a salary range posted. Can I just say something along the lines of "I saw the salary range was x, and depending on the exact responsibilities of the position, I think that range sounds appropriate"?

How far along in the hiring process are you?

asur
Dec 28, 2012

potee posted:

If your company pays around average then you're going to need to be able to make the argument that you should get paid the average even though your new to the role.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

asur posted:

If your company pays around average then you're going to need to be able to make the argument that you should get paid the average even though your new to the role.

Which may not be difficult, given the audience at your presentation. Generally they just tell you what you're going to get if you're internal in my company, and you take it or leave it. After that, I'd document what I did and how I was performing and then ask for a raise to what I felt was fair in 6 months or so. Or I'd look externally and tell them to pound sand because it's bullshit that companies want to promote internally only so they can save money.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Boot and Rally posted:

How far along in the hiring process are you?

The one with a salary posted, just applied, but I'm fairly confident I'll get at least an initial call. The thing is, almost every opportunity I've had, they ask that in the initial call. The ones that don't are the ones where they just tell you the pay, and don't negotiate.

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost
This is a disclaimer about me thinking you live in the USA and are going for a corporate type job.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

The one with a salary posted, just applied, but I'm fairly confident I'll get at least an initial call. The thing is, almost every opportunity I've had, they ask that in the initial call.

If they are talking about money before they even bring you in to talk to you in person, they are looking for a cheap hire. This can be a bad sign for the company you are joining. EDIT: There is disagreement below, I've never been asked. It depends on you field.

You should have some idea of the actual pay rate for the job you're looking at and what you'd be willing to accept to move to that new job. If the job is in your field and you are you really want to switch companies, just give them your current salary. If the job is in some new field try BLS data or use glassdoor and google around. It can be a bit tricky but the key is to get to a number you (not the company) are comfortable with and give the company that number. If they pass on you, then you knew you weren't getting what you want anyway, no problem!

If it is posted, you like the job or not being at your current job, just give them that number. Maybe a bit more.

Another option, as mentioned earlier in the thread, is to punt using language like "I'd really like to see if the environment is a good fit for me before we discuss compensation". This can still result in companies looking for someone cheap passing on you, but is a really common move. Companies not looking for extremely cheap people will not take this as a bad sign.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

The ones that don't are the ones where they just tell you the pay, and don't negotiate.

The language in an offer is always worded as to sound final. They will probably use some wording like "your salary will be". Nothing is final until you sign on the line. They may play some game of chicken where they call you, bring you in to interview and after all that want to talk money at the end of an interview. You want to see information on vacation, benefits, bonuses, everything first. If they start pushing about money, you can put it off and talk about everything else they are going to compensate you with but money. Once you have all that worked out then talking money will be easy because you knew numbers were good for you before you showed up.

If they insist on talking money before anything else, ask for more money than you would have otherwise. You have no idea what the benefits are so you need to be prepared to provide your own 401k "match". Healthcare may be expensive or none at all.

Boot and Rally fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Feb 25, 2015

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
An update on my situation. I know someone in HR who has access to professional salary data that costs their organization thousands of dollars a year in subscriptions. I asked them to run a report against one of these jobs I applied for. Their salary data was within a few thousand for a mid career track of the job closest to the BLS data for that same job.

I had a phone screen with a HR person at one of the companies and they told me they don't forward applications to hiring managers without giving a desired salary. I gave the BLS number plus 5k as a "starting point for any subsequent salary discussions" (my words). They didn't argue with the number. I'm currently setting up an on site interview for a few weeks from now.

Moral of the story for me is that BLS numbers ain't bad. Adjust for experience and pad with a few thousand and you should be fine

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Boot and Rally posted:

If they are talking about money before they even bring you in to talk to you in person, they are looking for a cheap hire. This can be a bad sign for the company you are joining.

I don't think that's fair. Almost every HR person I've talked to has asked me about salary during the screening call.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Yeah, I can think of very few jobs that I've gone in for interviews for where they didn't ask what I was looking for in the initial call, and most of the remainder asked in the first interview. The exception was with a really professional recruiter working for a pretty high class company.

Part of it might be that at this point in my career (junior IT), 90% of the calls I get are from recruiters, they might operate different than in-house people.

Well, I got a call from the job I was talking about, and like I predicted they asked what I was looking for. I said pretty much exactly what I posted in this thread, and the guy seemed fine with that. And he requested my certifications, so I sent him like ten attachments with my various vendor and industry certs.

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.

asur posted:

No Butt Stuff posted:

Which may not be difficult, given the audience at your presentation. Generally they just tell you what you're going to get if you're internal in my company, and you take it or leave it. After that, I'd document what I did and how I was performing and then ask for a raise to what I felt was fair in 6 months or so. Or I'd look externally and tell them to pound sand because it's bullshit that companies want to promote internally only so they can save money.

Thanks for the input everyone. Company pays about average with above-average benefits, but with a reputation for being stingy with raises, so I'm hesitant to gamble on that. I figured I'm walking in weak, but I should have mentioned I might have a couple advantages. I did a similar job with the same title at my previous company, so I'm not going in totally wet behind the ears. I've also been watching this same job get put up on linkedin for at least the last 6 months (waiting out the X-month tenure transfer rule), and the recruiter admitted they're under pressure to make a decision.

I'm expecting a lowball (big ol' IF) they approve the transfer, but I might have more room to move than I expect. Or so I have elected to believe, false confidence is confidence, :colbert:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
When getting yearly performance-based raises, what a typical range of % increase and what factors go in to that number? I got my yearly performance review compensation hike today, and it's a whopping $0.33/hr or a 1.76% increase (was making $18.75/hr before). Granted our company only grew by about 1.76% in 2014, but that's still pretty bad right, especially since my boss claims I had one of the best reviews in the whole company? I was already on the fence about whether or not to stay here long-term and this certainly doesn't help the "Stay" case (we were supposedly flat in 2013 too but I wasn't a full-time employee then). Sorry to bitch, this is the first time I've gotten a raise in my life and I feel a little let down, they're already under-paying me for my background as-is.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Feb 28, 2015

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
I don't know exactly what it's based on, but I think in a lot of cases it tends to be uniform across the company (or business unit). I'd say less than 5% is pretty standard.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

C-Euro posted:

When getting yearly performance-based raises, what a typical range of % increase and what factors go in to that number? I got my yearly performance review compensation hike today, and it's a whopping $0.33/hr or a 1.76% increase (was making $18.75/hr before). Granted our company only grew by about 1.76% in 2014, but that's still pretty bad right, especially since my boss claims I had one of the best reviews in the whole company? I was already on the fence about whether or not to stay here long-term and this certainly doesn't help the "Stay" case (we were supposedly flat in 2013 too but I wasn't a full-time employee then). Sorry to bitch, this is the first time I've gotten a raise in my life and I feel a little let down, they're already under-paying me for my background as-is.

0-3% seems to be pretty normal. I've never heard of getting a 5% yearly performance review raise, that sounds like it's more in the territory of a title or position change. The highest yearly performance raise I've ever received was about 3.3%, and the lowest was about 1.6% (ironically enough, was a year that I was given an award for best performance in my department for an IT job), and those were years ago when the economy was in better shape. I'd say on average my yearly raises were 2-2.5% across all the jobs I've had. I know people that haven't gotten a raise in years because of continual pay freezes.

The only way to really get ahead is to job hop into higher paying jobs, get promoted, get a title change, etc. Just relying on your yearly review isn't going to yield much more than you're seeing now.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I got 2.7% at a Fortune 500 last year and was told by multiple people at the company that that was "really good."

So don't expect much there.

Big Spoon
Jan 29, 2009

Want that feelin'
Need that feelin'
Love that feelin'
Feel that feelin'

C-Euro posted:

Raises are almost always going to be on the order of 1-4%. I don't know what you do but if you have/can find a way to either save money or time (improve a process, renegotiate a contract) or bring in more revenue try to document the time/money saved or earned. Then bring this to your boss' attention at your next performance review and ask if the $x you saved would be worth an extra $y, assuming x is a pretty significant amount. If they say no to that then you may want to explore other options.

As for me my latest raise was the largest at my current company, around %3.4. It didn't cover my rent increase.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

The only way to really get ahead is to job hop into higher paying jobs, get promoted, get a title change, etc. Just relying on your yearly review isn't going to yield much more than you're seeing now.

That's what I've heard (or at least seen in this thread), and while I'd love to move into one of our R&D labs I don't think they're hiring right now. A couple people left R&D suddenly a few weeks ago and I think it was due to their groups being over-budgeted.

And like I said, I was already thinking about what it would take to leave and go to a different job and it's not just the lovely pay, the path my company's on and the career path they seemingly have me on also worry me. That's probably a discussion for a different thread however so I'll shut up.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

C-Euro posted:

Increases can vary widely from company to company and depend on a huge range of factors. If you're really sure you're underpaid, go get a better offer and come back to try to renegotiate. Key is you have to be willing to walk if they don't step up or you lose any credibility for future discussions on pay.

C-Euro posted:

That's what I've heard (or at least seen in this thread), and while I'd love to move into one of our R&D labs I don't think they're hiring right now. A couple people left R&D suddenly a few weeks ago and I think it was due to their groups being over-budgeted.

And like I said, I was already thinking about what it would take to leave and go to a different job and it's not just the lovely pay, the path my company's on and the career path they seemingly have me on also worry me. That's probably a discussion for a different thread however so I'll shut up.

Sounds like you're not all that happy to be there in general anyways so my comment above stands. Time to go hunting.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Finally got my offer to move back home. It came in at the minimum number my wife and I decided would make us happy to move if the relocation was correct. Well, they're also going to pay for all home sale costs and for the movement of all my goods. Downside, I have to wait for my house to sell, and I also have to go find a place to live either in the interim or carry two mortgages, which I'd rather not do.

If my wife wasn't 5 months pregnant with twins, I would be fine with and the kids staying with family a couple hours south of the new job while I was in a studio apartment during the week until the house sold and I could find us some new digs. I guess I could find a 2 bedroom and we could all stay up there until the house sold, but that sounds terrible too.

At any rate, here's the weird part. The HR person called me and made me the offer verbally and I told her I'd have to discuss it with my wife and get back to her. She said something about fedexing the offer letter, and I told her I could just take an unofficial e-mail copy so I could talk it over with the wife, and she said they don't really do drafts. When I am counter-offering, should I just call the guy I know is hiring it? We've been in contact and I've known the offer was coming by talking to him weekly in a pretty matter of fact manner for the last month or so. Or am I supposed to only go through HR at this point? I have both their e-mails, so I guess I could just e-mail them both?

My gut feeling is to just call the guy once I have all my numbers figured out, basically, walking away from 5k in 401k non-vested contributions and bumping the number up 5k or so, so a signing bonus and slightly higher salary and we're all right as rain and tell him that I thought it was a good offer, but I'd like him to consider blah blah and see if he can find the extra cash in his budget considering the scope of the role and what they want me to do. But who knows. I've been dreaming of this for two years and now I dunno.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

d-d-d-double post:

I ended up calling back and explaining that my current role was changing and my compensation had increased, so I asked for a slight increase in compensation in the offer, about 7.5%. I also asked for a 15% sign on bonus for maintaining two mortgages, walking away from non-vested 401k and finding/closing on a new home in the new area.

HR said the hiring manager was in meetings all day, but she'd expect to have something back out to me today or tomorrow.

The lack of offer letter indicated to me that they new there was going to be some more wiggling on the numbers, and they were prepared to do it. I hope it works out.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.
I got 8% last year but also got a semi-formal promotion, and argued about it with my manager.

Looking at raise rates is a losing game. A winning game is coming up with a good thesis about the market value of your work today, and getting paid that much, from someone. If that someone is your present employer, and you like your job, that's good. If it's a different employer, and your current employer won't play ball, that's good too.

Doresain
Oct 7, 2003

Fun Shoe
I've got an interesting problem coming up re: salary negotiations and I'm not sure how to handle it.

I'm not an engineer, but I currently work at a tech company in Silicon Valley that pays very well. My current salary, even excluding medical/dental/vision, is ~125k between base salary, vested stock options, 401k matching, etc. I'm happy there, but my department is relocating to another state and I'd rather not go with, so I'm looking at other positions and other areas. Frankly, I'm probably overpaid where I'm at and I know that if I go anywhere else, especially if it is a lower cost of living area ( read: anywhere else) I'll probably take a step down in pay. My concern is making sure it is as small a step as possible. I'd likely be in a similar role somewhere else.

Given that, does it make sense to ignore rule #1 and throw out my current salary first to avoid being lowballed by their first offer? My field is a bit specialized, so Glassdoor isn't very helpful, and I'm worried that if I find work in Seattle or Austin or someplace I'll either take a huge step down by not communicating my current salary or I'll put it out there and they'll immediately think we're too far apart.

Any advice for this situation?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Well, they held firm on salary, but they did give me a sign on bonus. In base salary alone I just jumped 19%.

Not to mention there's a significantly better bonus, insurance is less than half of what I'm paying now, and the deductible will be 1500 bucks instead of 6000. Even after HSA contributions I still come put way ahead like another little raise every pay check.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

Doresain posted:

I've got an interesting problem coming up re: salary negotiations and I'm not sure how to handle it.

I'm not an engineer, but I currently work at a tech company in Silicon Valley that pays very well. My current salary, even excluding medical/dental/vision, is ~125k between base salary, vested stock options, 401k matching, etc. I'm happy there, but my department is relocating to another state and I'd rather not go with, so I'm looking at other positions and other areas. Frankly, I'm probably overpaid where I'm at and I know that if I go anywhere else, especially if it is a lower cost of living area ( read: anywhere else) I'll probably take a step down in pay. My concern is making sure it is as small a step as possible. I'd likely be in a similar role somewhere else.

Given that, does it make sense to ignore rule #1 and throw out my current salary first to avoid being lowballed by their first offer? My field is a bit specialized, so Glassdoor isn't very helpful, and I'm worried that if I find work in Seattle or Austin or someplace I'll either take a huge step down by not communicating my current salary or I'll put it out there and they'll immediately think we're too far apart.

Any advice for this situation?

You have to accept that your salary is a consequence of the living expenses of where you live, so you need to either:

Stay where you are.

OR

Take a pay cut.

If you stay where you are, how does telling anyone what you earn now convince them to pay you what you want, moreso than telling them what you want?

If you take a pay cut, how does telling anyone what you earn now convince them to pay you what you want, moreso than telling them what you want?

You're making good money, but you're trying to find a way to give your adversary in negotiating an advantage. That advantage is telling them what is your best alternative to their offer. This is not going to help you negotiate.

From the gist of your post, it seems like you are trying to avoid declining an offer, because you really do no want to move with your department. Until you can rid yourself of this aversion, you will not be successfully negotiating from a position of strength.

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

No Butt Stuff posted:

Well, they held firm on salary, but they did give me a sign on bonus. In base salary alone I just jumped 19%.

Not to mention there's a significantly better bonus, insurance is less than half of what I'm paying now, and the deductible will be 1500 bucks instead of 6000. Even after HSA contributions I still come put way ahead like another little raise every pay check.

Thanks for chronicling this for us! I assume you are going to take it as it met the minimum it would take to move? What about those questions you had about title, how did those work out?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Boot and Rally posted:

Thanks for chronicling this for us! I assume you are going to take it as it met the minimum it would take to move? What about those questions you had about title, how did those work out?

I took it. Waiting for the background check.

The title was sticky, but we did go with the senior level and removed the offensive word from the title. Overall, I count it as a win.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

I've got a situation with quite a bit going on:

I work for a national insurance company. My office is closing in several years as part of a reorganization of office locations throughout the US. They posted the first wave of job openings in the go-forward locations and I applied and interviewed for a senior-level opening in mid-February. Right after interviewing I had my year-end review and found out I was promoted to senior level anyway. So it became a lateral move in title, although the new position is a more advanced job.

I received an offer for the new job today. The offer is the bottom number of the pay band for this job and area classification. Averaging several cost of living calculators' results shows I would be making almost $3k less than my equivalent salary in the new location. There is a monthly COLA payment for the first year that I qualify for, but I'm not sure what that is at this time. Other benefits all stay the same.

I would like to get the offer bumped up by that $3k difference. Any advice as to the best way to go about doing this? Call and explain my position to the HR rep who offered? I've never been in a position where I had leverage to counter before.

Dango Bango fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Mar 10, 2015

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Dango Bango posted:

I would like to get the offer bumped up by that $3k difference. Any advice as to the best way to go about doing this? Call and explain my position to the HR rep who offered? I've never been in a position where I had leverage to counter before.

You are pretty much best off negotiating with the actual hiring manager and also getting the hiring managed intrigued by what you have to offer first, then trying to go for the extra cash.

I found this to a be a handy guide:
http://www.kalzumeus.com/2012/01/23/salary-negotiation/

asur
Dec 28, 2012
The company doesn't really care about COLA so bringing it up is at best irrelevant and given that they give you a COLA adjustment benefit is probably a negative. I think it would be much more persuasive to argue for an increase because the new job is more advanced, I'm assuming that means more responsibility. I would also recommend that you ask for more than 3k if you're at the bottom of the salary range and it would be helpful if you had at the very least salary comparisons for the new city.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids
Is there room for negotiations if you're dealing with a public university? I'm looking at Glassdoor and all of the interview testimonials on there say that the university was not willing to negotiate on salary. The salary for the position is 15% lower than the area's average. I looked up the salary information for positions at the university and other people in the same department are being paid at least 22% more than the advertised salary. I don't want to scuttle any opportunity by trying to negotiate, but 15% below average is pretty low.

• Locked thread