Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

Bubble-T posted:

I've thankfully never had to sit through Munchkin or CE but my main group had similar experiences with Catan and Citadels. We also quickly outgrew Small World but that's just because it's boring as gently caress, at least it doesn't leave one person doing nothing for an hour and a half.

I still see Citadels regularly recommended on reddit as a game that plays lots of people and it boggles my mind. Who the gently caress thinks that game is fun with 8 people? Are they telling others to buy it as some sort of sick joke?

On a related note, I played Lost Temple for the first time on Friday (same designer as Citadels). It was atrocious. The only things I got out of it was "Wow, there are lot of excellently designed patches for such a lovely design."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.

Tiny Chalupa posted:

How is the game tomorrow? The One is the post apocalyptic Game where you can nuke other countries
Trying to get the world population down

Lgs has it for 60 debating

I've only played the game once, and we had a full table of everyone not having played before, but I think we all came away thinking it was pretty solid. Tomorrow is definitely not for the faint of heart. There will be lots of arguing and fighting since it is a pretty directly competitive game. However, it off-sets ganging up on someone pretty well because if someone feels like they're going to lose, they can hit the self-destruct button and lose the game for everyone. (It isn't a co-op game, but you can all lose the game if you don't depopulate enough vs. how much livable space is left.) It's thematically dark, and it strikes a nice balance between being super-aggressive and diplomatic. The game itself is visually appealing, as well, though the meeples don't stand up very well at times. I'd play it again if it was brought back.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I've been playing Galaxy Trucker on my phone since the app was brought up here a couple days ago and man if I don't kinda suck at Galaxy Trucker. I do okay on the most basic flights but as soon as I go up to level II ships I just cannot build a decent ship for the life of me, the AI is cranking out things with like 11 firepower and 10 crew and I've got maybe half that and the cards just wreck me. I'm trying to maximize my available building space but I have to be doing something wrong.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Kai Tave posted:

I've been playing Galaxy Trucker on my phone since the app was brought up here a couple days ago and man if I don't kinda suck at Galaxy Trucker. I do okay on the most basic flights but as soon as I go up to level II ships I just cannot build a decent ship for the life of me, the AI is cranking out things with like 11 firepower and 10 crew and I've got maybe half that and the cards just wreck me. I'm trying to maximize my available building space but I have to be doing something wrong.
There are two main 'strategies' to building in the app.
1) Look at the cards ASAP, build catering to what you know will happen.
2) Forget the cards entirely, just use that extra time to pick out some of the good pieces.

In both cases, it's also worth noting that being first in position is much more of a good thing than a bad thing.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff
Man Dungeon Lords is a good game.

Screwed up the first game overlooking some rules and game ended with scores 10,13, and 16.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Yeah, I usually grab the first not terrible part I can and take a quick look at the cards real early to try and plan, it's more that my ships wind up deficient in all areas that would apply...too little guns to fend off level II pirates and smugglers, too few crew to take advantage of abandoned ships and stations, not enough cargo space to load up on anything decent...not even a jack of all trades, just a master of nothing. I think part of the problem is I may be overthinking how I build my ships but I need to just sit back and watch how the AI does it sometime because maybe I'm missing some obvious way I should be going about it.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Unless you hosed it up, in which case you die.

But no lie, it's tough to beat those AIs. I think they probably have programmed in the full list of tiles available so they know what combos won't work/have been taken. But the other pitfall is not to try to build your ship perfectly. Exposed connectors are not a problem if you have shields, and most of the AIs wind up with a couple of slots missing.

On another note, I love the level 3 amoeba ship. So much easier to build when it has holes in by design!

Does the 3a ship ever show up (the one shaped like the Enterprise)?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Kai Tave posted:

Yeah, the main reason why I enjoy galaxy trucker is that when you're playing with friends, it doesn't matter who's the best: all that matters is who sucks the least.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Chill la Chill posted:

Yeah, the main reason why I enjoy galaxy trucker is that when you're playing with friends, it doesn't matter who's the best: all that matters is who sucks the least.

All that matters is that it's hilarious when everything goes horribly, inevitably, wrong.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

thespaceinvader posted:

All that matters is that it's hilarious when everything goes horribly, inevitably, wrong.

My friend and I tried rough roads and ended up with piercing projectiles (shots go through two components instead of one), explosive batteries (battery components that break explode in a 3x3 radius), and metal fatigue (random component falls off after open space, and yes, this can trigger the batteries).

We ended up limping back to port with something like three engines, two crew, and one good between the two of us.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Momohime Katsumi posted:

Any good games for 2 players that are tablet apps? I have carcassone for my windows tablet but I'd live with a kindle store/android stuff too.

Ticket to Ride. If you have two people with two tablets, they can each play on their own tablet. I also want to say that it's cross platform as well apple/android but it's been awhile since I did the game like this. Both devices can connect to each other with bluetooth.

I guess Star Realms too unless you only have one tablet.

And Galaxy Trucker has pass and play.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Carcassonne has a good app. Also, through the ages is free online.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.
I hate the Catan app, mostly for all the trading the computer players want to do. I know you can turn all the trades off until your next turn but what if you miss a good deal?

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

Momohime Katsumi posted:

Any good games for 2 players that are tablet apps? I have carcassone for my windows tablet but I'd live with a kindle store/android stuff too.

The iOS version of Carcassonne has pass-and-play, and you can actually combine pass-and-play players and bluetooth-connected players, but the different platforms have different developers so I doubt they work together. I think Small World does work across iOS, Android and Steam, and has pass-and-play as well. It's probably the best way to play that, since it becomes a nice quick 10-15 minute filler game instead of an hour-long one, and the computer handles all the fiddly little pieces, rules exceptions, and points counting.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

chemosh6969 posted:

I guess Star Realms too unless you only have one tablet.

You can also pass-and-play on the Star Realms app. It's not ideal since you don't necessarily see what your opponent does, but it's serviceable.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Mega64 posted:

Is Dungeon Petz something I should buy right now if it's in stock in CSI, or can I afford to wait for other games I really want first? I heard talk it's kinda hard to find at this point.

I'm also thinking of getting Dungeons Petz but need some input as to how easy it is to trick encourage people who don't regularly play heavier games into it. I'm talking Lords of Waterdeep level and below. The theme is probably super appealing for the majority of geeks so I'm wondering if it makes it that much easier to keep people's attention.

MadMadi
Mar 16, 2012

My girlfriend and I have recently gotten into board gaming after I showed her Dominion for the first time. She had a blast and we have branched out a little bit, and I am looking for suggestions for things she will like or fill in holes in types of games. We have Dominion, Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small, King of Tokyo (which we play primarily with her 9yr old step-sister) Ticket to Ride (iOS), Carcassonne (iOS) which are all games she really enjoys, as well as Pandemic (iOS) which she said was a bit overwhelming, and Mice and Mystics which she hasn't played yet. Any suggestions would be helpful.

We were at the comic shop and the clerk was really trying to sell us Betrayal at House on the Hill , but it's mostly just the two of us playing. She seemed very excited about the idea of building the board as you play, I'm guessing from her experience with Carcassonne. I'm also not sure how she is going to like traitor games and was planning on picking up Resistance to test those waters once we get more people to come to game night.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Betrayal is a game (some people would use scare quotes around that word) where poo poo happens to you and you just kind of deal with it. Your game collection seems to be composed mostly of more strategic games so be aware that it's more a story generator than something you can put real effort towards winning into.

You have a very good experience base to work off of so I'd recommend taking a look at the OP. Do you know what was overwhelming about Pandemic?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Enjoys dominion deckbuilding, hand management, strategy, board creation.... sounds like Mage Knight to me. Good news is that there's also coop for 2.

EBag
May 18, 2006

Betrayal is pretty love it or hate it and I can't imagine would work with 2, I've played it once with 5 and it was pretty meh.

Mage Knight is good but a massive leap in complexity compared to those games.

For a different build the board style game maybe check out Escape Curse of the Temple or Zombie City. It's a cooperative real-time game where you're chucking dice trying to escape from, surprise, a cursed temple or zombie infested city. You build the map as you play, it plays in 10 minutes at a time and scales well though it can be very hectic and intense so that's something to keep in mind if she found something about Pandemic overwhelming.

Castles of Mad King Ludwig or Suburbia are also good building/tile laying games of a more relaxed/strategic nature.

alathar
Jan 6, 2004
O_o
You can always play two characters each with Betrayal, and then have the traitor take one side and the other play all the other characters. It's definitely more of an exciting (when the sides end up being balanced) story generator than any kind of balanced strategy game.

I haven't actually played it but after seeing the Rahdo runthrough of The Cave I wish I had gotten that instead of Betrayal as far as tile building/exploring goes.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

alathar posted:

You can always play two characters each with Betrayal, and then have the traitor take one side and the other play all the other characters. It's definitely more of an exciting (when the sides end up being balanced) story generator than any kind of balanced strategy game.

I haven't actually played it but after seeing the Rahdo runthrough of The Cave I wish I had gotten that instead of Betrayal as far as tile building/exploring goes.

The Cave is a neat, competitive-but-not-confrontational (think explorers in competition to chart and document stuff and the closest they get to screwing each other over is beating someone to documenting and therefore scoring "their" discovery before they could) that has tile-laying exploration combined with a logistical angle of what equipment to bring and how far to range from your base camp. It's low-key intensity wise and not quite like other games I have played.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Played the Firefly board game again, it didn't last as long but man is it lame.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Bubble-T posted:

I think I remember someone here talking about Hyperborea. My friend has been asking about it so.. is it any good? Does it play 4 players well or only 2 (I've heard it has AP problems)?

Hyperborea is good and plays well with 2-4. As for AP: there's no excuse for it. As soon as a player's turn ends everyone knows most of the options they will have on their next turn. Even factoring in possible special abilities, you can do most of your planning during downtime.

MadMadi
Mar 16, 2012

Thanks for the tips guys. Mage Knight looks like a bit of a complexity leap for us right now, but we watched the video of The Cave and it looks right up our alley. She seems to gravitate towards the indirect conflict games like Agricola.

I was also looking at getting Tash-Kalar based on the hype from this thread, along with Hanabi.

Recaffeinated
Jul 11, 2007
Fuck decaf.

Dirk the Average posted:

My friend and I tried rough roads and ended up with piercing projectiles (shots go through two components instead of one), explosive batteries (battery components that break explode in a 3x3 radius), and metal fatigue (random component falls off after open space, and yes, this can trigger the batteries).

We ended up limping back to port with something like three engines, two crew, and one good between the two of us.

Wait, is this right? I thought there was an explicit difference between exploding and falling off (especially for the space junk card). If exploding = falling off then, well, that's just mean.

(Sounds like an awesome run regardless, though.)

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

Avalon Hill recieved a letter from a scientist with a PhD (who was also an Avalon Hill fan) complaining he couldn't understand the rules.

Rumda posted:

Yes get it get it now.

My 7-year-old would love the theme of Dungeon Petz and he's a pretty good Agricola player. Is there any chance he'd enjoy Dungeon Petz?

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

Gimnbo posted:

I'm also thinking of getting Dungeons Petz but need some input as to how easy it is to trick encourage people who don't regularly play heavier games into it. I'm talking Lords of Waterdeep level and below. The theme is probably super appealing for the majority of geeks so I'm wondering if it makes it that much easier to keep people's attention.

Good loving luck. Lordz is a incredible game, no doubt. But it's so frontloaded if the only experience most of your group has had is Waterdeep they're gonna check out.
Still, I'd buy it on the off chance you get to play it. And if you can convince someone else to learn to play, it's a bit easier to get others in on it.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Jedit posted:

Hyperborea is good and plays well with 2-4. As for AP: there's no excuse for it. As soon as a player's turn ends everyone knows most of the options they will have on their next turn. Even factoring in possible special abilities, you can do most of your planning during downtime.

The more a player has to consider on their turn, the longer their turn is likely to be. That doesn't excuse rudeness. That's why though I think we are seeing more games where you do this or you do that. Instead of games where you have 10+ choices of what to do on your turn and then more choices on how to do it. I used to think that AP was only a player thing, but no longer.

What's funny is that one of the most AP players I know thought it would be a good idea to show all of the progress tiles at once (instead of only one per year) in Aquasphere.....I guess we don't yell at him for his AP enough.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
How is lords of water deep?
Light or what?

Want a in depth game too
Civilization
Mage knight

Not sure
Mage knight is it competitive or coop?
Pathfinder any good?

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Light or what?

Want a in depth game too
Civilization
Mage knight

Not sure
Mage knight is it competitive or coop?
Pathfinder any good?

Mage Knight is the only good game in your poem

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Bubble-T posted:

Mage Knight is the only good game in your poem

It's not quite a haiku, but it makes about as much sense as your average one.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Civilization is pretty enjoyable.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

disperse posted:

My 7-year-old would love the theme of Dungeon Petz and he's a pretty good Agricola player. Is there any chance he'd enjoy Dungeon Petz?

If he's a good Agricola player I can't imagine he'd have a hard time picking up Dungeon Petz.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

I'm doing the free shipping hundo on CSI, should I get Alchemists or Castles of Mad King Ludwig

e: ended up getting patchistory

Fungah! fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Feb 23, 2015

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

wisdomHNOX posted:

Thanks for the tips guys. Mage Knight looks like a bit of a complexity leap for us right now, but we watched the video of The Cave and it looks right up our alley. She seems to gravitate towards the indirect conflict games like Agricola.

I was also looking at getting Tash-Kalar based on the hype from this thread, along with Hanabi.

Mage Knight requires a lot of time to learn, so skip it if you're not okay with your first couple of games being confusing and filled with looking up stuff in the rules. But when you've become hardcore, reconsider it. Also, Hanabi and Tash-Kalar are awesome, get them both. Hanabi is such a cheap game that is so very good* that there's no excuse for not buying it.

*this is my view, not the thread consensus. The consensus is wrong.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

There's literally no consensus regarding Hanabi, just loads of different people with different opinions. I can't think of any other game that has the lack of consensus that Hanabi has.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
I almost resent that game just for the discussions it spawns.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Baller Ina posted:

A new version of Escape came out called Escape: Zombie City, so if you have any experience with Escape or have at least seen SU&SD's video on it you probably have a feel for how this new game plays. Might be worth a look. It's on sale at Coolstuff til Sunday, too.

I played it Saturday, it's not horrible but it is a dice fest since its basically about rolling dice as fast as possible. Probably would be better if there were more bite gimmicks - there are only 6 in game. The game is very light so silly gimmicks like having to stand or rolling one die at a time etc fit with it well. Losing is at most a mild inconvenience since you didn't spend much time in the game. It fills the sub 30m category of filler well enough, since the game lasts 15m at most or something like that. Some games end faster.

The goal is to go around the city collecting a certain number of items dependent on your player count and getting it back to the central area/church, and then loading into the van to escape the city. You lose when X zombies hit the church (Where X is dependent on difficulty). Every time you explore a tile you draw a zombie card that spawns or moves color coded zombies towards the church. You can kill them if you want to, but you can also just choose not to fight them. Exploring a tile takes a certain roll, and then moving to that tile also takes a certain roll which is shown on the tile you are trying to move to. It's very easy to get the hang of, basically one play through will be enough.

Sloober fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Feb 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Light or what?

Want a in depth game too
Civilization
Mage knight

Not sure