Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Celery Face posted:

The bug bosses in Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate twitch after you've killed them.

The music in the Monster Hunter series only plays when the monster has spotted you. There's no music during the Khezu fight because its blind. As interesting as that gimmick is, I still hate fighting that thing.

I noticed that twitch thing and thought it was pretty cool, though, though really icky.

Never noticed the Khezu thing though, that's a cool touch. Can you even sneak up on that thing?

I love the ability to set Item Sets in this iteration though, loving finally I don't have to worry about remembering to restock potions and traps and tranqs, I just have to say "Yeah set me to whatever this set is", and all my poo poo is deposited and everything I need is refilled. Now if I could just get something like that for socketed decorations...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Oh my goodness I just found the PAYDAY 2 XMas carol. :allears:

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?

Wild T posted:

Again, Metal Gear Solid had something fun with that. In the first chapter, Snake will do a combat roll if you run and hit crouch. Doing it down the stairs propels you down the staircase in a blur and knocks any guards standing there on their asses. Doing it up the stairs causes you to slam facefirst into the stairs and knock yourself senseless.

This only works if you're close to the bottom of the steps. If Snake can do a full revolution, he'll knock himself silly. Raiden however can flip down any length of stairs.

But both will hit their heads trying to maneuver up stairs. Don't do it, kids!

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

poptart_fairy posted:

Oh my goodness I just found the PAYDAY 2 XMas carol. :allears:

The helicopters 10-seconds-responding inside the bank lobby.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

CJacobs posted:

I was hosed over by that in Hitman: Absolution. I will illustrate with rudimentary stick man drawings.

So here I am, coming down a staircase to totally kill a guy. I am in a dingy bar in the backass middle of nowheresville, about to head into the even dingier basement. The stairs leading down to the basement are only partially covered by the wall in some real Harry Potter Under The Stairs type bullshit fashion. Or your grandma's house. Or something. There is a guard at the bottom of the stairs just hanging out aimlessly staring at the stairs because he's a guard in a video game and that's all they ever do until you make a noise.

Look at that Hitman. What a badass he is. I'm coming down the stairs to 100% kill a dude because that's what hitmen do. Ignore the perspective in this picture because I can't draw for poo poo. At this point I don't know the biker is there and 47 is about to walk his rear end into a two-man standoff. I will lose like 1500 You're A HItman Points for killing the guy and I won't be happy about that.

Suddenly, however, the unsightly biker coughs, and I stop 47 in his tracks. Thanks to the wonders of technology in the year 2012, his feet actually stop at different points on the staircase which lands him in kind of a weird pose because they're kinda steep but that's alright whatever. I take a second to marvel at this dynamic character animation before activating his magical sixth sense, which allows me to see the biker from behind the partially covered wall leading up the staircase.

Unfortunately for Agent 47, however, the biker has spotted his own prey as well. Thanks, 2012 technology. With only half of a leg in sight, the You're Being Seen meter fills up in slow motion while I gaze at the biker with my x-ray eyes, unaware of what is happening because of the screen filter, until he suddenly whips out his gun and just fuckin shouts

and then begins firing immediately at 47's exposed ankle. I couldn't even be mad because I was laughing so hard.

This is a gift.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

CJacobs posted:

I was hosed over by that in Hitman: Absolution. I will illustrate with rudimentary stick man drawings.

So here I am, coming down a staircase to totally kill a guy. I am in a dingy bar in the backass middle of nowheresville, about to head into the even dingier basement. The stairs leading down to the basement are only partially covered by the wall in some real Harry Potter Under The Stairs type bullshit fashion. Or your grandma's house. Or something. There is a guard at the bottom of the stairs just hanging out aimlessly staring at the stairs because he's a guard in a video game and that's all they ever do until you make a noise.

Look at that Hitman. What a badass he is. I'm coming down the stairs to 100% kill a dude because that's what hitmen do. Ignore the perspective in this picture because I can't draw for poo poo. At this point I don't know the biker is there and 47 is about to walk his rear end into a two-man standoff. I will lose like 1500 You're A HItman Points for killing the guy and I won't be happy about that.

Suddenly, however, the unsightly biker coughs, and I stop 47 in his tracks. Thanks to the wonders of technology in the year 2012, his feet actually stop at different points on the staircase which lands him in kind of a weird pose because they're kinda steep but that's alright whatever. I take a second to marvel at this dynamic character animation before activating his magical sixth sense, which allows me to see the biker from behind the partially covered wall leading up the staircase.

Unfortunately for Agent 47, however, the biker has spotted his own prey as well. Thanks, 2012 technology. With only half of a leg in sight, the You're Being Seen meter fills up in slow motion while I gaze at the biker with my x-ray eyes, unaware of what is happening because of the screen filter, until he suddenly whips out his gun and just fuckin shouts

and then begins firing immediately at 47's exposed ankle. I couldn't even be mad because I was laughing so hard.

Please do a whole let's play in this style, tia. I haven't laughed so hard in ages, that final picture killed me.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Nuclear War posted:

Sunless Sea is amazing, even though I don't get quite what I'm doing all the time and its hellishly difficult. Everyone go play it.

Edit: for some reason I thought I was in the Greenlight thread. A little thing about Sunless Sea is the way the skullshaped reefs sloooowly move their jaw when you sail over them. I give them a wide berth now. Just in case

Hahaha, you think they're just skull-shaped. The water itself is alive in Polythreme. Coal screams as it burns.

It's not skull reefs, it's the water screaming at you.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Finally started Dangan Ronpa 2 because although the first one was kinda meh I liked the "neon cartoon nightmare" art style a ton. Anyways one of the returning characters from the first one is someone who was atrociously unlikeable...and in this one they've ballooned out to be an enormous fatty slob. It cracks me up every time I see them because I am a literal child.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Midnight Voyager posted:

Hahaha, you think they're just skull-shaped. The water itself is alive in Polythreme. Coal screams as it burns.

Jesus christ :stare:

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
In Mists of Pandaria, there's a quest hub called Dawn's Blossom where when you first arrive, you get swarmed with little pandaren children who follow you around for a while. They ask stuff like where you're from, why are you so skinny etc, but if you happen to be a gnome, they're amazed that they're taller than you :3:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

quoting myself from the MKX thread

Babe Magnet posted:

Sub's a washout

e: here's the rest. they're unused/placeholder bios for MK4 Arcade Rev. 01

scorpion's kills me every time

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
Skyrim is amazing for when I just want to barbarian around. Orc characters get access to strongholds without having to prove themselves, which are great for trading, training, companions, storage, etc.

I'm pretty sick of the main questline, the Companions and the guilds, so this is a huge relief. I just want to smash bandits with a warhammer, not shout at skeletons in search of macguffins

aerion111
Nov 29, 2011

Prodigy of Curiosity.
Master of Jacks.
Apprentice of Masks.
And, when fighting the forces of darkness, always remember: "Armor of Darkness, Weapon of Light"

Midnight Voyager posted:

Ah, it's coal?
I must have skimmed the description of the fuel, since I just assumed we were burning souls and such (since it's cheapest in Hell, screams, and so on)
That's a relief then.

I suppose one of the 'little things' SS does right is (assuming you let yourself get immersed) put you in the kind of mindset where you didn't think twice about fuel being souls.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

Skyrim is amazing for when I just want to barbarian around. Orc characters get access to strongholds without having to prove themselves, which are great for trading, training, companions, storage, etc.

I'm pretty sick of the main questline, the Companions and the guilds, so this is a huge relief. I just want to smash bandits with a warhammer, not shout at skeletons in search of macguffins

Generally the rule of thumb for Elder Scrolls games is maybe do the main quest once just to know what it's like and then never ever touch it again. Hell sometimes I play and accomplish basically nothing other than hunting deer and collecting plants for alchemy.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

There's some Shouts I really wish you could get before doing most of the campaign though. At least you get the best one early.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

It's been a while but I seem to recall playing an Orc Hammer-bro and a stronghold lookout didn't let me in because my armor covered up every inch of skin so they thought I was human.
I may be remembering wrong but I was impressed with that.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

aerion111 posted:

Ah, it's coal?
I must have skimmed the description of the fuel, since I just assumed we were burning souls and such (since it's cheapest in Hell, screams, and so on)
That's a relief then.

I suppose one of the 'little things' SS does right is (assuming you let yourself get immersed) put you in the kind of mindset where you didn't think twice about fuel being souls.

It only screams in Polythreme because everything comes alive there. Even your clothes. You get fuel cheapest from Hell because they trade in things like hydrogen and coal and basically anything that burns.

But in Sunless Sea, some of my favorite little things are tiny animations and graphics details. The boats in Wolfstack Docks go up and down subtly. It's hard to make out the details of Aestival because it's lit by sunlight and your eyes aren't used to the sun. The Reef of Roses is goddam gorgeous, and you can see little petals floating through the air in it.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

McDragon posted:

There's some Shouts I really wish you could get before doing most of the campaign though. At least you get the best one early.

Most of the shouts you learn from the main quest are pretty useless though. The ones in quest locked dungeons are better, but you can find words of power elsewhere for a slightly weaker version if you don't want to bother.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

Kimmalah posted:

Generally the rule of thumb for Elder Scrolls games is maybe do the main quest once just to know what it's like and then never ever touch it again. Hell sometimes I play and accomplish basically nothing other than hunting deer and collecting plants for alchemy.

Yeah, my favorite way to play the game is to load up every immersion/survival mod I can find such as realistic needs and the hypothermia mods, as well as hunting and economy mods, and just run around the map as a huntsman trying to make a buck and not starve to death.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I don't like the survival/hypothermia mods because "try not to starve" is so stupidly easy in games like Skyrim because they're not designed around resource scarcity like that. In Fallout, it works, because a vast majority of food you'll find is actively harmful to you (rads), but for hunger mods to work in games like Skyrim or Oblivion hunger has to be tuned super high up to where it's usually no longer all the immersive. The mods really just end up being a "don't have a potato in your inventory at all times" tax instead of an actual gameplay mechanic.

As for stuff in games I actually like though, one of my favorite games from middle/highschool, Battle for Wesnoth, is still being updated almost a decade after release. It's mostly bug-fixes and balance changes for multiplayer but 8+ years after the game launched they just added a completely new multiplayer faction.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Wild T posted:

Again, Metal Gear Solid had something fun with that. In the first chapter, Snake will do a combat roll if you run and hit crouch. Doing it down the stairs propels you down the staircase in a blur and knocks any guards standing there on their asses. Doing it up the stairs causes you to slam facefirst into the stairs and knock yourself senseless.

I spent entirely too much time making raiden fall down the stairs. That and letting him get pissed on while calling everyone in your codec.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

In Crypt of the Necrodancer one of the bosses is an entire enemy chess team. They have their pawns, rooks, knights, etc all lined up in correct starting formation and they all move according to chess rules--Pawns only move forward but they attack you diagonally, pawns become queens if you let them get to the back wall, etc. Then when you kill all the other enemies the king comes at you singing along to the music with his ukulele(?).

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Gestalt Intellect posted:

In Crypt of the Necrodancer one of the bosses is an entire enemy chess team. They have their pawns, rooks, knights, etc all lined up in correct starting formation and they all move according to chess rules--Pawns only move forward but they attack you diagonally, pawns become queens if you let them get to the back wall, etc. Then when you kill all the other enemies the king comes at you singing along to the music with his ukulele(?).

Also, if you can manage to take out the king before you finish killing all the other pieces, any that are left disappear. (There are a couple ways to do this; broad swords, whips, flails, and cats o' nine tails work, as do the rifle and blunderbuss.)

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Babe Magnet posted:

I don't like the survival/hypothermia mods because "try not to starve" is so stupidly easy in games like Skyrim because they're not designed around resource scarcity like that. In Fallout, it works, because a vast majority of food you'll find is actively harmful to you (rads), but for hunger mods to work in games like Skyrim or Oblivion hunger has to be tuned super high up to where it's usually no longer all the immersive. The mods really just end up being a "don't have a potato in your inventory at all times" tax instead of an actual gameplay mechanic.

As for stuff in games I actually like though, one of my favorite games from middle/highschool, Battle for Wesnoth, is still being updated almost a decade after release. It's mostly bug-fixes and balance changes for multiplayer but 8+ years after the game launched they just added a completely new multiplayer faction.

I like the camping aspect, but the hypothermia mods get really annoying because basically all it means is you have to stop and stand next to a torch for a few minutes periodically. Food/water can be a problem in Skyrim just because it weighs so goddamn much and the mods penalize you for consuming some things, so you have to carry your own supply.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
In FF14 you can see other player's retainers (they gather items for you) out in the field fishing or logging. If you get close they will say things, sometimes they refer to the person they work for and that name is SephirothxXx. What is surprising is that there is actually no player named this, and its funny cause they're mocking people who can't make a unique name and just put <videogame/animecharacter>xxxxetc.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Leal posted:

In FF14 you can see other player's retainers (they gather items for you) out in the field fishing or logging. If you get close they will say things, sometimes they refer to the person they work for and that name is SephirothxXx. What is surprising is that there is actually no player named this, and its funny cause they're mocking people who can't make a unique name and just put <videogame/animecharacter>xxxxetc.

I still can't believe how many unique human beings there are that do this. It's just baffling how many people have apparently independently thought it would be cool to surround their name with some jumble of upper- or lowercase X's. If you look at the scoreboard in a 64-player battlefield game you are basically guaranteed to see at least two.

And somehow none of these thousands upon thousands of people have realized that it doesn't make you look cool. It makes you look like a jackass.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I doubt they independently thought of it. They probably saw someone with a name like that and was like "Oh that's cool!" Obviously they are wrong but i'm sure that's how most of them come about.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

It's pretty great.

Courtesy of the FFXIV thread.

kirbysuperstar posted:

"I just dangle some string off the cliff? How hard could that be?" was also something she said.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Babe Magnet posted:

I kinda liked the hunger mods for Morrowind just because, while food wasn't scarce, it was all kind of weird and revolting, so it felt like you were struggling to survive when you were making decisions like "Hmm, should I eat the beetle flesh or the rat meat today?"

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

I still can't believe how many unique human beings there are that do this. It's just baffling how many people have apparently independently thought it would be cool to surround their name with some jumble of upper- or lowercase X's. If you look at the scoreboard in a 64-player battlefield game you are basically guaranteed to see at least two.

And somehow none of these thousands upon thousands of people have realized that it doesn't make you look cool. It makes you look like a jackass.

I'm sure you were an extremely refined and self-aware person when you were 13-16 and never did anything you consider dumb or embarassing today.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Similarly, in DMC3, there's a set of enemies all patterned after chess pieces: the Damned Chessmen. Pawns move towards you slowly and swing their swords, Knights stomp around, Bishops shoot fireballs, Rooks project lasers.

Right before the boss rush, you'll fight on a chessboard against a whole set of the Damned, including the unique Queen and King pieces. The Queen will rush at you relentlessly as long as it has a straight path; the King nukes everything around him when hit and gets you an instant victory if you kill it before the other pieces. Finally, hitting the King while Rooks are around will let them "castle" the King, switching places from across the board.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Angry Salami posted:

I kinda liked the hunger mods for Morrowind just because, while food wasn't scarce, it was all kind of weird and revolting, so it felt like you were struggling to survive when you were making decisions like "Hmm, should I eat the beetle flesh or the rat meat today?"

Some of the Skyrim mods specifically add stale and rotten food items to the world which can give you horrible diseases if you choose to eat them. Same for stuff like raw meat and river water vs. boiled.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I download hunger/thirst mods because what I really want out of life is an ultraviolent version of The Sims.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Kavak posted:

I download hunger/thirst mods because what I really want out of life is an ultraviolent version of The Sims.

This is what every game aspires to be.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?

Kavak posted:

I'm not 100% sure but this reads like sarcasm.

I download anime pregnant rape dungeon mods because Skyrim's true purpose is as a nice guy simulator.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

It's more that I played New Vegas in Hardcore Mode and decided I liked it for some reason.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Kavak posted:

It's more that I played New Vegas in Hardcore Mode and decided I liked it for some reason.

Ah, the limping simulator.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Kavak posted:

I actually added a mod that gives a gold piece a (slight) weight, instead of weightless. It was funnier actually having a use for the safes and lockboxes in my various homes across Skyrim, rather than have more gold than Fort Knox in my haversack. Also good motivation to take spare jobs and have the reward have more impact to my current pocket money.

Half the fun of mods is seeing how much they gently caress up your game. My favorite is a mod that adds a magic extra-dimensional Dwemer-style fortress you can summon and dispel anywhere, and the ability to teleport inside it at any time (even when it's compressed back into a tiny cube):

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=77618384

So, summon a cool-rear end tower at the outskirts (or gently caress it, main square) of your current quest-hub. Go on your quest across the map, kill mans or dragons, then instead of walking back, just teleport to your fortress and walk outside the front door! Bam. You can hire followers to be security or the cook, have two more followers move in as guests, and even move your entire family into dwarf-TARDIS, what could go wrong?

Well, I don't have screenshots handy, but it turns out summoning something out of nowhere while the game is running is fine, but dispelling it away is... a crapshoot. What would occasionally happen is the fortress's front door vanishes, but all the game assets that make up the rest stay behind. You have to manually target and delete each object via the console. or have a gutted tower remain there forever.

The mod was too cool not to use, so I tended to save before dispelling to see what happens, and only summon it in best looking spots. The objects left behind have nothing to do with the ability to immediately resummon fortress again, so you could theoretically fill an area with dozens if not hundreds of towers.

Markarth never knew what hit it. :psydwarf:

Edit: Skyrim has a lot of cool user content, and the world has a lot of empty spaces allowing for add-ons like that in mind, is another thing I appreciate.

Literally Kermit has a new favorite as of 17:34 on Feb 23, 2015

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

I'm currently playing through Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons and I didn't start breaking signs on purpose until I met the guy who made them in Subrosia, who gives you a count of how many you've destroyed :smaug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Kimmalah posted:

Most of the shouts you learn from the main quest are pretty useless though. The ones in quest locked dungeons are better, but you can find words of power elsewhere for a slightly weaker version if you don't want to bother.

I'm thinking mainly of the messing around ones I think. Clear Skies and Call of Valor and Storm Call aren't very useful but they can be fun. Dragonrend though, that one is something I'd like earlier.

Literally Kermit posted:

Half the fun of mods is seeing how much they gently caress up your game. My favorite is a mod that adds a magic extra-dimensional Dwemer-style fortress you can summon and dispel anywhere, and the ability to teleport inside it at any time (even when it's compressed back into a tiny cube):

Edit: Skyrim has a lot of cool user content, and the world has a lot of empty spaces allowing for add-ons like that in mind, is another thing I appreciate.

I love those sorts of portable base mods for games like this. Morrowind had a pretty amazing TARDIS you could teleport around and stuff, ridiculously detailed inside as well, Oblivion and Fallout 3 both had ones that were less impressive outside but still teleported around and stuff, but I could never find any for New Vegas or Skyrim. Plenty of mods that did the same thing, but a TARDIS just feels more special.

Really, mods in general for Bethesda open-world games. There's a lot of poo poo, but some really great things in there too. And sometimes there's stuff that's just so bad it's funny.

Also it's fun getting really out of place stuff. I had one that stuck a modern house into Oblivion that stuck out like a sore thumb. All Ikea furniture and light switches and stuff. I need to start reading that mods thread again, that was always good for a laugh.