Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Tsaedje posted:

How could you do Manchester without mentioning Urbis or the Beetham Tower?

Urbis:

Beetham:

E: instantly beaten

Urbis is a nice building and I really like the whole cathedral gardens area. It's going to be a lot nicer round there if they ever do anything with "NOMA", their plans look good but seeing as the Co-Op are behind it I'm not super confident.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Tommy Calamari posted:

The Dutch stations remind me of Euston station in London, where they tore down this...

...to build this.

The platforms have all the charm of a multi-storey carpark:

The destroyed arch is still used as the motif for the station on the Victoria line platforms.

Nearby St. Pancras station narrowly avoided the same fate

:barf:

That's a terrible waste of a nice design. Wtf happened in architecture where rectangles, concrete, and "what the future could look like" designs became a thing?

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

The Euston arch was nice but it isn't very practical because it present a really obvious bottleneck to getting in and out of a very busy station. I think the issue is that after the war aesthetics and ideology became sort of frowned upon (for obvious reasons) and so the pendulum swung too hard in the direction of practicality above all other things. Neo-classicism was the architecture of an imperial ideology and for a society that wanted to break away from that and build something more peaceful and egalitarian tearing down arches and colonnades is an obvious way of achieving it.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Ferroque posted:

This is Fox Hall, the tallest building in Lowell, Massachusetts. It's on the East campus of the university and it looks loving terrible. I lived in this piece of poo poo for a year. And yes, those 3 floors of different windows are from renovations that were never finished.

A friend of mine stopped paying for housing and squatted the unfinished floors of that building for two years.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Nckdictator posted:

Also, here have some unbuilt American buildings.

These are all loving amazing, I love Bioshock Infinite American Exceptionalism design

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Professor Shark posted:

These are all loving amazing, I love Bioshock Infinite American Exceptionalism design

can you imagine if they had actually built that insane obelisk tower in chicago?

that'd have been fuckin awesome and we'd probably have a proper emperor instead of obummer.

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001

a pipe smoking dog posted:

And the Trafford centre which the is nightmarish apotheosis of people who don't understand neo-classicism or the phrase "less is more"

(just in case that isn't clear the second picture is the food hall which is designed to look like the foredeck of the titanic)
wow that really sucks laffo

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
hahaha that's in england? good lord the british have 0 taste even when they are appropriating the gently caress out of other peoples' ideas.

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001
it's literally the worst pile of crap posted in this thread, although that macedonian poo poo runs it close

edit: haha it's loving enormous as well. jesus christ, what a monstrosity

I'm Crap fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Feb 22, 2015

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Nckdictator posted:

The second is part of the "Skopje 2014" project.

It looks cheap, It's like someone decided to hire Vegas hotel designers to build government offices out of the cheapest material they could find. I love classical architecture but this stuff is just gaudy.

they're just doing it to piss off the greeks

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

thathonkey posted:

can you imagine if they had actually built that insane obelisk tower in chicago?

that'd have been fuckin awesome and we'd probably have a proper emperor instead of obummer.

It's the best unintentional depiction of the Golden Throne I've ever seen. I bet somewhere in the design it calls for 25' doors.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
Birmingham UK has some wicked mad architecture. Behold old Library, which is going to get knocked down this year. It failed to get listed and saved. :(

This is the view from the roof, you can see how there is still traditional stuff there...

This is the Bullring, a bonkers looking shopping centre, it looks like a massive, dopey space slug.

This is the NEW library, which looks like a kind of ugly modern wedding cake.

Behold the new (still being built) station at New Street, which looks like a bulging eye of Sauron

This thing is called the Cube, and it makes me want to play Tetris.

I like the crazy mix that goes on there. :)

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

For scale, that's supposed to be the Brandenburg Gate nestled INSIDE the triumphant archway in the street.

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
The acoustics inside the nazi uberdome would have been brain pan-shattering with Hitler shrieking away in there. Would've brought the house down.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Backweb posted:

For scale, that's supposed to be the Brandenburg Gate nestled INSIDE the triumphant archway in the street.

Holy gently caress.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Say Nothing posted:

Expected that to end on a 'Your Mom' joke.

My home town has some really awful 60s art deco stuff.

Dental School.

Their lecture theatre.

I'm really puzzled by you calling this art deco.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I'm Crap posted:

it's literally the worst pile of crap posted in this thread, although that macedonian poo poo runs it close

edit: haha it's loving enormous as well. jesus christ, what a monstrosity

I'll take gaudy Greek to Rectangles, Windows, and Concrete ereythng

The Wizard of Oz
Feb 7, 2004

Victoria has mostly ignorable architecture, but for some reason there's this gaudy concrete post visible everywhere in the harbour region:

It's become my mental image of every concrete stairway that's been half-heartedly spruced up with some "jaunty" angles or perhaps round stones in part of the fill. It's perfunctory creativeness embodied in a 62-foot tower. And this thing's a gift too, so we can't just burn it down, we have to pretend we like it. "Oh jeeze, and it's really loud too... boy... thanks."

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
This is the old royal exchange building in London, next to the back of England and surrounded by lovely old classical style buildings

So opposite it they decided to build this boat.. thing.

I'm surprised there isn't more modern London architecture in this thread, all the new towers going up seem to be giant dick waving contests between design firms.

Sparq
Feb 10, 2014

If you're using an AC/20, you only need to hit the target once. If the target's still standing, you oughta be somewhere else anyway.

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

seem to be giant dick waving contests between design firms.

Literal dick waving.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

It's a gay Ikea store wearing a fishnet shirt out to the club.

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012

Rondette posted:

This is the Bullring, a bonkers looking shopping centre, it looks like a massive, dopey space slug.

Oh come on.

snuggle baby luvs hugs
Aug 30, 2005

Sparq posted:

Literal dick waving.

uncircumcised and covered in poo poo just like the populous

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Professor Shark posted:

I'll take gaudy Greek to Rectangles, Windows, and Concrete ereythng

lol you're a loving idiot

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

Beetham Tower manchester, sometimes called the playstation tower (for sort of obvious reasons). It sticks out like a sore thumb, you can see it from miles away and when it's windy it makes a weird moaning whistle that you can hear right across the city centre.

It's the tower in City 17 in real life.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
Another London thing, the Tate Modern art museum in the former Bankside Power Station, a great bit of industrial art Deco design:

So of course the new extension they're building on it is entirely sympathetic, ROM style.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Rondette posted:

Birmingham UK has some wicked mad architecture. Behold old Library, which is going to get knocked down this year. It failed to get listed and saved. :(

making brutalism look good by comparison is difficult to do, congrats birmingham

Tawd
Oct 24, 2010

Rondette posted:

This is the view from the roof, you can see how there is still traditional stuff there...

Behold the new (still being built) station at New Street, which looks like a bulging eye of Sauron

This thing is called the Cube, and it makes me want to play Tetris.

I like the crazy mix that goes on there. :)

Don't forget the soon-to-be-updated brutalist triumph that is the Paradise Forum, good goon!

saucerman
Mar 20, 2009

Professor Shark posted:

I had a friend who got super drunk one night and tried to walk home. He became disoriented and went to the wrong house, which happened to not have locked doors because :canada:.
Anyway, the couple there were really nice and he spent the night on their couch and brought him water and ignored his yelling for his girlfriend throughout the night.

He thanked them and left in the morning.

In the US he would have been shot by some nut with a shotgun.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

saucerman posted:

In the US he would have been shot by some nut with a shotgun.

Some guy did this to me and there was also blood all over my kitchen floor and he kept rambling about some backpack he was missing

You can sure as hell bet i grabbed my machete

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

lol you're a loving idiot

Nah

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Don't forget that New York City tore down this:

To build this:

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
The whole tearing down Penn Station thing was such a disaster that Grand Central got saved. Of course it doesn't make up for how terrible Penn is. Also, it's not architecture but some of Robert Moses's plans for expressways in Manhattan and building a Brooklyn-Battery bridge instead of a tunnel are pretty hilarious in how they would have messed up the city even more than stuff like the BQE and Cross Bronx Expressway did

snuggle baby luvs hugs
Aug 30, 2005

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Don't forget that New York City tore down this:

To build this:

It makes me feel sick every time I think about it

edit: the lease for MSG is up im pretty sure we're trying again

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

The whole tearing down Penn Station thing was such a disaster that Grand Central got saved. Of course it doesn't make up for how terrible Penn is. Also, it's not architecture but some of Robert Moses's plans for expressways in Manhattan and building a Brooklyn-Battery bridge instead of a tunnel are pretty hilarious in how they would have messed up the city even more than stuff like the BQE and Cross Bronx Expressway did

The first one is actually pretty nice, the problem is knocking down Grand Central to put it somewhere.

I "love" how the second makes a half-hearted effort to preserve the station.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

slinkimalinki posted:

I'm really puzzled by you calling this art deco.

That's the style they are often labelled as, although it's really more of a bland, generic 1960s style.

Real art deco.

1960s blah, often mistakenly labelled as art deco.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Whoa, 2010!? Lets go!

Oh...

Nckdictator fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Feb 23, 2015

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.
The back two thirds of the James Street Baptist Church in Hamilton, Ontario has been demolished so that a gross condo tower can be grafted on to it.

The style of the newer tower does not work with the church at all. This is the architectural equivalent of one of those custom cars that combines the front end of a '49 ford with a 90s Thunderbird. Maybe if it was all glass so that it reflected the existing church it would have worked better.

The main front stained glass window was being stored on site when a winter storm blew it over and wrecked it.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

rocket_350 posted:

The back two thirds of the James Street Baptist Church in Hamilton, Ontario has been demolished so that a gross condo tower can be grafted on to it.

The style of the newer tower does not work with the church at all. This is the architectural equivalent of one of those custom cars that combines the front end of a '49 ford with a 90s Thunderbird. Maybe if it was all glass so that it reflected the existing church it would have worked better.

The main front stained glass window was being stored on site when a winter storm blew it over and wrecked it.

This is the best example of how terrible the world is in one easy picture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Is the church part just gonna be an entry hall for the building?

• Locked thread