Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

wayfinder posted:

Wow this has never happened before a musician going out to buy a little pot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
There's an oddly specific little SunVox FM Synth compo afoot: http://www.warmplace.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3578

quote:

It's time for the new SunVox Song Competition!
The main theme of this compo is Frequency Modulation.

The rules are simple as usual:

use SunVox only: http://warmplace.ru/soft/sunvox ;
allowed synths: FM and DrumSynth;
allowed effects: any;
allowed misc. modules: any, but the MetaModule must be FM-based only;
size of the ZIP-packed SunVox file must not be greater than 64kb;
any genre, any length, any number of works.

Send your ZIP-packed .sunvox file(s) to nightradio@gmail.com with "SunVox Compo" topic.
Don't forget to name your project in the SunVox -> Main Menu -> Song Properties. Name format: Author - Song Name

Deadline: March 2.

Winners will be announced later (after the public vote) on http://warmplace.ru
The best ones will be included to SunVox distribution.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Radiapathy posted:

Nah man, he cracked the code: Pots and pans samples. I just raided my gear closet (a.k.a. "kitchen cabinet") for a recording session.

SEE YOU ON BEATPORT'S TOP 100, CHUMPS!!!

Beatport, you mean BeatPOT, amirite?

Sizone posted:

e: How much enthusiasm is there for legitimately trying to score a silent movie? Kinda tempted to make a thread for that.

I think it's a cool idea, though admittedly it's an area of music and tech (specifically anything to do with video) that I have no background with. Always looking for a next direction to point in, however.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Sizone posted:

e: How much enthusiasm is there for legitimately trying to score a silent movie? Kinda tempted to make a thread for that.

I would definitely give it ago. That said it makes me chuckle a bit since one of the longest standing threads on WATMM's forum a long time ago was a thread to score Metropolis with a bunch of different people. It was like the quintessential internet project. Tons of planning, tons of assignments to various people to do scenes etc etc. Thread probably hit over 100 pages or something silly. Nothing ever came of it, no score, a handful of tracks I think, that was about it.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

toadee posted:

I would definitely give it ago. That said it makes me chuckle a bit since one of the longest standing threads on WATMM's forum a long time ago was a thread to score Metropolis with a bunch of different people. It was like the quintessential internet project. Tons of planning, tons of assignments to various people to do scenes etc etc. Thread probably hit over 100 pages or something silly. Nothing ever came of it, no score, a handful of tracks I think, that was about it.

But we've got a proven record of releases!

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

net work error posted:

But we've got a proven record of releases!

There is a massive amount of music involved in scoring an entire film. Plus the issue of people not being familiar with syncing audio to video etc. I mean, Im not saying it can't happen, but, it's a hell of a lot of work. We might want to see about just doing 1 act of a silent film. They are usually cut up into very well defined chunks that way since most of the people involved cut their teeth on the stage.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

toadee posted:

I think I immediately see one of the major problems, metropolis is, like, 4 loving hours long.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Sizone posted:

I think I immediately see one of the major problems, metropolis is, like, 4 loving hours long.

Its about 2.5 hours

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
There are shorter versions available. Like the one Jeff Mills scored, which is reduced to 60 minutes, or the 80 minute one Giorgo Moroder scored.
I think we shouldn't overcomplicate it. Just pick a few scenes and make some music for it.

Edit bonus pic, cleaned & rewired the studio today. Took nearly 5 hours, but well worth it

Sjoewe fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Feb 19, 2015

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Silent movie scoring thread. Leave the vermin to speak of their heroin and timbre wolves, we have business with a better kind of person.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3701911

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
forgive me if i've already asked this, but i have a question for people that use a lot of hardware effects. what's the deal with basically every mixer on the market only providing mono FX/aux send? right now my effects chain is all hooked up to the main out. since i have a kaoss pad as the last link in the chain, I just plug my headphones into that. is this the right way to go? should i stop caring about having a stereo effects chain?

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

toadee posted:

There is a massive amount of music involved in scoring an entire film. Plus the issue of people not being familiar with syncing audio to video etc. I mean, Im not saying it can't happen, but, it's a hell of a lot of work. We might want to see about just doing 1 act of a silent film. They are usually cut up into very well defined chunks that way since most of the people involved cut their teeth on the stage.

Yeah it was a sarcastic post. I'm not very good at posting sorry.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Sjoewe posted:

Edit bonus pic, cleaned & rewired the studio today. Took nearly 5 hours, but well worth it

Nice and clean! What's the shelf system?

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
IKEA, no joke.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/categories/departments/bedroom/19087/

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Just got myself an MPC1000, it didn't come with a manual but is there a way to tell what operating system it has on it? And/or what version of JJOS is best for the 1000?

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion

Mr. Glass posted:

forgive me if i've already asked this, but i have a question for people that use a lot of hardware effects. what's the deal with basically every mixer on the market only providing mono FX/aux send? right now my effects chain is all hooked up to the main out. since i have a kaoss pad as the last link in the chain, I just plug my headphones into that. is this the right way to go? should i stop caring about having a stereo effects chain?

There's no wrong way to do it necessarily but depending on your needs there might be a better way to hook things up. I'm used to seeing mono sends and stereo returns on mixers (as well as stereo/stereo) but it might be a question of getting a better mixer. What mixer are you running?

Also I'd recommend considering which instrument you prefer to have effected by the Kaosspad and hook it up directly to that. If you're just going for some general filter on top of your mix then you're already hooked up the right way but I find the KP3 to be a little clippy and I wouldn't use it as a master effect.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Dotcom Jillionaire posted:

There's no wrong way to do it necessarily but depending on your needs there might be a better way to hook things up. I'm used to seeing mono sends and stereo returns on mixers (as well as stereo/stereo) but it might be a question of getting a better mixer. What mixer are you running?

Also I'd recommend considering which instrument you prefer to have effected by the Kaosspad and hook it up directly to that. If you're just going for some general filter on top of your mix then you're already hooked up the right way but I find the KP3 to be a little clippy and I wouldn't use it as a master effect.

Right now i'm just running some piece o' poo poo behringer i picked up several years ago. I was shopping for a new mixer because i'm at capacity on my current one and i'm going to have a new synth to hook up soon, and I couldn't find anything in a reasonable price range (say, sub-$500) that had a stereo FX send.

I haven't noticed the clippyness on the KP3+ but i usually use it in a pretty subdued fashion (usually just a slight bit crush or chorus or something). I have dedicated effects for reverb and tape saturation.

e: I suppose mixers with inserts on the master channel would work in this capacity, right? albeit without being able to use the fx send faders.

Mr. Glass fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Feb 21, 2015

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
gently caress you synthkit

Two full kits, pretty much every module used except the keyboards and noise, yet I want, nay, need more. At least I finally found an appropriate use for the carrying case that came with my pg-800. Seriously, gonna start learning c this week, get that arduino blinking some lights and playing marry had a little lamb.

Sizone fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Feb 21, 2015

Radio du Cambodge
Dec 3, 2007

A MIRACLE posted:

Just got myself an MPC1000, it didn't come with a manual but is there a way to tell what operating system it has on it? And/or what version of JJOS is best for the 1000?

It should say the OS while it's booting up. I bought mine with JJOS already loaded onto it, so if it doesn't say anything maybe that means it's the default Akai OS?

But as for the best version it's really down to personal taste. My MPC1000 came pre-loaded with OS2XL but I used JJOS1 for a long time, I found it to be very similar to the classic MPC interface just with some better features and shortcuts and obvious additions that Akai never bothered to include.

I just upgraded to OS2XL and it's much more of its own system, the basics are still the same of course but there are many new features and whole new screens and stuff. If you're used to computer-based samplers and sequencing like on Ableton it's a little closer to that than OS1 or the Akai OS. Me I might still go back to OS1... there are some great features in 2XL that I would miss but there's something about the simplicity of OS1, again it's like the classic MPC interface with a more up-to-date OS.

Short answer: there's a comparison chart here. I pasted the whole chart into excel to make it easier to keep track of which column is which to make really direct side by side comparisons. Good luck.

Radio du Cambodge fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Feb 23, 2015

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:
Quick question.... Can you use a Make Noise Pressure Points to manipulate the the overall pitch of the Make Noise Rene?

I remember watching a video where a sequence was running, and the guy would instantly shift the entire pitch of the whole Rene sequence via Pressure Points. I know someone here probably knows this off the top of their head and I can't seem to find any info directly on this.

breaks
May 12, 2001

As far as I remember (it has been a while) there's no option for a transpose input on the Rene. You can transpose any oscillator with two exponential pitch inputs (which is most of them) though, just by plugging them both into it. Of course the pressure points is not quantized, you'd need a separate quantizer for it if you don't want to tune it manually. On oscillators with only one expo pitch you can use a precision adder type module.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.
I have committed a mortal sin; I built a new case for my modular and made the mistake of leaving a lot of extra room in it for new modules.

Made the thing out of some cheap mahogany ends I bought at a lumber yard years ago; the rails cost more than all the other materials used to make it. While designing it I was hoping that I'd have enough of a spacer to not make things too cramped where horizontal meets vertical but it looks like I'll have to pick my modules carefully in that area, if I ever fill it all. In a perfect world I won't fill this one up before making the next case, and with 15U to work with, I really hope that's the case. This was sparked by another ill-advised thing - buying some new modules.; I was planning to buy them in the longer term, but when I got to the store I could see the new prices waiting to be stuck on the boxes; the Canadian dollar is tanking so we're talking a 20% jump in module prices so I bought some I was planning to get anyway before the new prices kick in, which meant I needed room for the new modules now. The Mysteron and Rene are a lot of fun.

At least I have the crappy Canadian dollar to scare me off any more new modules.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

UncleBlazer
Jan 27, 2011

I'm a completely newcomer to synth, is there a good guide on creating sounds?

I've been using synths on the iPad so far (animoog and casini) and not sure how to get a really nice, warm, space-y sound. Like tycho basically :downs:

Is there a digital synth for PC I should buy? I might take the jump and buy a ms-20 a few months from now.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

UncleBlazer posted:

I've been using synths on the iPad so far (animoog and casini) and not sure how to get a really nice, warm, space-y sound. Like tycho basically :downs:

Is there a digital synth for PC I should buy? I might take the jump and buy a ms-20 a few months from now.

For my money you cannot go wrong with Native Instruments for software synths. For pretty much any type of synthesis you want to learn, they have a synth that is one of the industry standards. If you really want to get into it, though, I'd consider buying one of their Komplete bundles. If you wait a bit, they're due for a sale soon I think.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

UncleBlazer posted:

As someone that's had his for a while now... don't. I'm not saying it sucks or anything... far from it in fact it's just that in no way should it be considered a beginners synth or one that can get those warm, space-y tycho sounds that you're after.

What you're looking for is a much smoother synth than the MS-20 which is one of the harshest synths out there, something like a BS2, or JD-Xi would be good for a beginner.

UncleBlazer
Jan 27, 2011

Trig Discipline posted:

For my money you cannot go wrong with Native Instruments for software synths. For pretty much any type of synthesis you want to learn, they have a synth that is one of the industry standards. If you really want to get into it, though, I'd consider buying one of their Komplete bundles. If you wait a bit, they're due for a sale soon I think.

I'll keep my eyes out for the sale, what are they usually discounted by? Even 10% would be huge

A Winner is Jew posted:

As someone that's had his for a while now... don't. I'm not saying it sucks or anything... far from it in fact it's just that in no way should it be considered a beginners synth or one that can get those warm, space-y tycho sounds that you're after.

What you're looking for is a much smoother synth than the MS-20 which is one of the harshest synths out there, something like a BS2, or JD-Xi would be good for a beginner.

Thanks for the advice man. The Bass Station II looks a fair bit cheaper too. So is there no trick to getting those sounds, it depends on the actual synth?

waneb
Oct 11, 2008
I'm looking at maybe picking up a Juno 106 that powers on but doesn't play. The seller claims that the voices failed over time, so I'm assuming the 6 voice chips are primarily what I would need to repair or replace. What is a fair price for it in that condition? I can't be sure that there aren't other issues, and since its a Juno and is priced ridiculously, he wants $400 for it in its current state.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

UncleBlazer posted:

I'll keep my eyes out for the sale, what are they usually discounted by? Even 10% would be huge

They do a 50% off sale once or twice a year, which would put Komplete in the $250 range. It's been a while since they had a sale, iirc. Even with regular Komplete (i.e., not Ultimate) you could literally spend years exploring all the stuff included. I've had Komplete Ultimate since 2010 and there are still corners of it that I keep thinking "man, I should get around to learning how that thing works". The tools I do use on the reg have become so integral to my work that it's literally the most-used single musical purchase I have ever made.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

A Winner is Jew posted:

Yeah, I was thinking something akin to a groovebox as a general "all-in-one" starter. The JD-Xi gives you an analog voice with that functionality, or if you go all-digital something like an Electribe is cheaper than a MS-20 and gives you a bit of everything (synths, drum machine, effects, sequencing other things) in one package. Hell, for the price of an MS-20 you can almost get that and a Mircrobrute if you want to dabble in "pure" synthesis.

On a software side I like Ableton Live, and if you end up getting a hardware controller you'll probably end up with a super-basic version packed in with it. Even Live Lite is pretty cheap, though I think they nerfed the Lite version much more in the recent versions than they used to.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

UncleBlazer posted:

So is there no trick to getting those sounds, it depends on the actual synth?

FWIW Tycho uses a substantial amount of (for lack of a better word) "actual" instrumentation in addition to synths and electronic elements: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_56qQqxvm4

I would suggest trying to identify what about the sound you are attracted to (how it feels) and then creating your own sound to achieve that feeling. for me, the feeling of tycho's music is more related to the textures and melodic content than the specific synth sounds used. (for example, try adding some reverb to even a super basic synth patch and listen to the difference in feel to the sound without it)

e: also i'm still a complete beginner with a lot of this stuff but i would highly recommend learning synthesis first and foremost, without biasing yourself toward achieving a certain "sound". figure out what your options are and how to harness your instrument (whether it's a soft synth or hardware) then channel that knowledge into creating the sounds you want.

also a little music theory goes a long way.

Mr. Glass fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Feb 24, 2015

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Pick up a copy of Massive. There are thousands of tutorials on YouTube that use Massive as the synth of choice.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

UncleBlazer posted:

So is there no trick to getting those sounds, it depends on the actual synth?

For BoC warble in general, http://www.zvex.com/ILF.html

"Warmth" is a really vague and lovely term because definitions differ all over the place.

Also, Massive is indeed very capable, but most of the tutorials you're going to find are for dubstep wobble thingies. U-He Diva also spans a wide range and does the vintage thing pretty well, but before spending a fuckton of money, give Tyrell and OBXD a try.

Laserjet 4P fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Feb 24, 2015

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

magiccarpet posted:

Pick up a copy of Massive. There are thousands of tutorials on YouTube that use Massive as the synth of choice.

Totally agree, but the thing is that Massive is included in Komplete, and if you wait for one of the sales Komplete is about the same price as just Massive on a regular day.

UncleBlazer
Jan 27, 2011

Mr. Glass posted:

FWIW Tycho uses a substantial amount of (for lack of a better word) "actual" instrumentation in addition to synths and electronic elements: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_56qQqxvm4

I would suggest trying to identify what about the sound you are attracted to (how it feels) and then creating your own sound to achieve that feeling. for me, the feeling of tycho's music is more related to the textures and melodic content than the specific synth sounds used. (for example, try adding some reverb to even a super basic synth patch and listen to the difference in feel to the sound without it)

e: also i'm still a complete beginner with a lot of this stuff but i would highly recommend learning synthesis first and foremost, without biasing yourself toward achieving a certain "sound". figure out what your options are and how to harness your instrument (whether it's a soft synth or hardware) then channel that knowledge into creating the sounds you want.

also a little music theory goes a long way.

Yeah I play bass too, I'm hoping drum machines can plug a gap for percussions.

A decade ago I did four years of music theory as a kid... I think I remember a bit.

Will look into adding effects to sound, I've got delay and reverb pedals, if I have a hardware synth can I use them?

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

i have one of these and a strymon deco and overall i prefer the deco's wobble (i.e., blend all the way to the right, lag time at 0, wobble usually around 1/2); the zvex's modulation feels a little too regular to me. again, though, i'm not going for BoC specifically although they are certainly an influence.

the deco will also do stereo, which is nice.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

waneb posted:

I'm looking at maybe picking up a Juno 106 that powers on but doesn't play. The seller claims that the voices failed over time, so I'm assuming the 6 voice chips are primarily what I would need to repair or replace. What is a fair price for it in that condition? I can't be sure that there aren't other issues, and since its a Juno and is priced ridiculously, he wants $400 for it in its current state.

Never pay more than 100$ for a broken synth. I wouldn't even haggle with the guy with that asking price. He's expecting a lot of money for something that may be total garbage. Honestly, 400$ is, in terms of REAL SYNTH DOLLAR VALUE about what a fully functional 106 is worth.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
What happened to the TR808 that wore a life preserver in the pool?

It DIN SYNC

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Trig Discipline posted:

Totally agree, but the thing is that Massive is included in Komplete, and if you wait for one of the sales Komplete is about the same price as just Massive on a regular day.

Does NI offer crossgrade pricing for anything besides Reaktor or Kontakt? If so that would be a good avenue too.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

Uncle Blazer:

Reverb and delay pedals, Pedals in general re used with synths but most current synths output stereo.There are all sorts of sources for effects for synths- built in ones, pedals, analog effects units, rackmount digital effects, Kaoss pads, the works. There's probably a way to make your pedals work though.

I don't recommend the Electribe 2, it badly needs a firmware update and it may be march or April before we get one. I mean it sounds great as long as you stick to mono voices, but you can't mute anything without causing a delay between patterns. Some of the effects are unusable too. It is also kind of limiting in how you shape sound. You get one modulation option per part with 1 target, that's it. The modulator is either an LFO (of some waveform) or an A/D envelope, with speed and depth. Drum programming is really easy though. It's got great potential once the kinks are worked out but it's no substitute for a big synth with all the bells and whistles.

I also have an Ultranova I got used for the same price (400$). It might be the kind of warm, accessible synth you are looking for. It's got a bunch of different sawtooth waves. In fact it's a pretty big synth for a 3 octave keyboard in general; 3 oscillators, 6 envelopes, 3 LFOs, 2 filters, 20 slot mod matrix, 5 effect slots and a lot of effects. I actually find it a bit much but if you were to use two saw waves a filter and a couple of effects you could probably get close to what you want. It doesn't do FM or Sync at all, but it doesn't seem like you are looking for that kind of sound.

Of course you could get a Moog and or Nord and or Access stuff, but that's expensive equipment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Gonna chime in and recommend you just download a bunch of free vst synths and see which one appeals to you. You can learn basic subtractive synthesis on anything and it gets you 90% of the way, and you can do another 9% with free vst effects.