Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
I'm thinking about getting a device that's able to do Netflix/Hulu/Youtube and web browsing for another TV. I only have a Roku 3 and a laptop HTPC at the moment but if I got Firefox or something sideloaded on a Fire TV would it have any issues hitting up a website on my local network? (ex. 192.168.1.15/index.html)?

-- also could the fire tv stick do this as well? I don't mind a little load time if it's way cheaper

Tyson Tomko fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Feb 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Is there a way through sideloading or something that I can get my Fire TV to stream my iTunes library, either from my iPhone or MacBook?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

ShoogaSlim posted:

Is there a way through sideloading or something that I can get my Fire TV to stream my iTunes library, either from my iPhone or MacBook?

Looks like Plex can do this:
https://forums.plex.tv/index.php/topic/30935-how-to-share-itunes-library/

Caveat: It probably doesn't go to a blank screen if you fall asleep listening to music though.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Caveat: It probably doesn't go to a blank screen if you fall asleep listening to music though.

Worthless program. Burn it to the ground.

Nah jk thanks will look into this

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

I felt like a ninja, and my kung-fu was strong.

Anyone with some trip reports on XBMC / Kodi? I've got it loaded onto my FireTV no problem thanks to the sweet autoloader on the XBMC wiki, and I've already ran a 1080p video as a proof of concept, but I'm having trouble using some streaming addons (ie: World News Live add-on). Unlike my HTPC setup, it seems to hang nearly indefinitely upon trying to connect, and I'm having trouble cracking the riddle.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I haven't really had a problem with Kodi.

I switched to Plex though since there's less dicking around to get it open, and it puts the heavy lifting transcoding on my PC.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
Anybody have issues with the Fire TV Stick and the 2014 E-Series Vizio TVs? My TV seems to turn off randomly when using it. Happened like 5 times tonight. I've watched 20+ hours of TV through the cable box and spent 15+ hours on videogames. The Wii U might have done it once, but I don't remember for sure. The Fire TV stick though is bad.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Is there a way to change the hostname of the FireTV

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Hadlock posted:

Is there a way to change the hostname of the FireTV

Yeah it's on amazon.com under 'your kindle devices' or something similar.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I haven't really had a problem with Kodi.

I switched to Plex though since there's less dicking around to get it open, and it puts the heavy lifting transcoding on my PC.

Plex actually works on my FireTV, its crazy. Something about the color seems washed out though compared to my good old WDTV. I may be seeing things, however.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

Fremry posted:

Anybody have issues with the Fire TV Stick and the 2014 E-Series Vizio TVs? My TV seems to turn off randomly when using it. Happened like 5 times tonight. I've watched 20+ hours of TV through the cable box and spent 15+ hours on videogames. The Wii U might have done it once, but I don't remember for sure. The Fire TV stick though is bad.

My brother in law has one of those TVs, and it occasionally shuts off when using the built-in Netflix app. The next time I am at his house, we are taking the TV down so it can go back to Costco.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

PuTTY riot posted:

Yeah it's on amazon.com under 'your kindle devices' or something similar.

Have you tried this and have it work? I tried that and mine still shows up in the DHCP table as android-longhexstring01fa even after several power cycles over the course of a week.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

I'm using Kodi on the Fire TV to stream stuff from a shared video directory on a win7 desktop. It does fine for a day or two, and then cannot make the connection to the network (when trying to access those shared video files). Restarting the win7 machine works every time, but it's a pain in the rear end to have to do that almost every time we sit down to watch something. Any idea why this happens?

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Hadlock posted:

Have you tried this and have it work? I tried that and mine still shows up in the DHCP table as android-longhexstring01fa even after several power cycles over the course of a week.

Oh. I guess that's only for how it shows up when looking for apps on Amazon.com. My bad

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

What the gently caress is this?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

the littlest prince posted:

What the gently caress is this?

Beats me. I guess some game that was popular 30 years ago?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deus_Ex_Machina_(video_game)
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1552445321/deus-ex-machina-game-of-the-year-collectors-editio

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Is there a way to return to the last app used with the remote?

Like if you accidentally hit the home button?

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

PBCrunch posted:

My brother in law has one of those TVs, and it occasionally shuts off when using the built-in Netflix app. The next time I am at his house, we are taking the TV down so it can go back to Costco.

I think I may have figured it out. I had set my TV to CEC off, and the Fire TV Stick is CEC enabled. I think the Stick was trying to send information to the TV, CEC was turned off, so it freaked out and shut off. I enabled CEC on my TV and haven't had in issue in the hour that I've been using the stick. Still not sure, but the TV used to turn itself off usually within 2-5 minutes of using the stick.

Edit: And note that my TV turned off while watching my cable box after I accidentally hit the Fire TV remote. Your brother in law may have the same problem and one of his devices is CEC enabled and forcing the TV off even if he isn't using that input.

Fremry fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Feb 16, 2015

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
I finally got around to installing XBMC. Jesus, it pretty much made my firetv exactly what I wanted it to be. I always thought having to run a plex server was pretty dumb when things like the WDTV live were doing without it, when I have everything on a network drive anyways. I just wish it was on the amazon store so I could have it on my front page without rooting it.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I think the reason why I like Plex better is because A) it doesn't have to be launched from 6 menus deep and B) the UI is much cleaner. Also, having a Plex server means that it'll sync the watched/unwatched status as well as keep your progress between different Plex clients.

That said, I've been having terrible studdering issues with Plex lately and it's driving me insane. Videos will just freeze in the middle and I have to back out and hit play again. 25% chance it'll lose my place. I wonder if something is up with their latest update.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I think the reason why I like Plex better is because A) it doesn't have to be launched from 6 menus deep and B) the UI is much cleaner. Also, having a Plex server means that it'll sync the watched/unwatched status as well as keep your progress between different Plex clients.

That said, I've been having terrible studdering issues with Plex lately and it's driving me insane. Videos will just freeze in the middle and I have to back out and hit play again. 25% chance it'll lose my place. I wonder if something is up with their latest update.

I use Llama to launch right off the main screen and replaced the app icon to just say Kodi.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

TLG James posted:

I finally got around to installing XBMC. Jesus, it pretty much made my firetv exactly what I wanted it to be. I always thought having to run a plex server was pretty dumb when things like the WDTV live were doing without it, when I have everything on a network drive anyways. I just wish it was on the amazon store so I could have it on my front page without rooting it.

You can put it on the front page if you use the hijack trick.

Amazon FireTV Utility App (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2736774) has most of this stuff built in and you can change the icon to a Kodi logo. (No rooting required to change the icon despite what the program says)

quote:

- Install / side-load Llama.
- Install “ikono TV” app from Amazon app store.
- Launch Llama (From FireTV - Settings > Applications > Llama > Launch Application).
- Go to EVENTS on top menu and click '+' to add a NEW EVENT.
- In your NEW EVENT select ADD CONDITION then, from the Menu select 'Active Application' and select 'Choose App’. Scroll through the list of apps until you find “ikono TV” and select this app. Doing this should return you to the Events Menu.
- Next, select ADD ACTION and select 'Run Application' from the Menu list. From here, select whatever the name of your XBMC build is. That should create your event. At this point you can also name your event to distinguish it from others.
(Optional) - Select ADD ACTION and select 'Kill Application' from the Menu list. From here, select "ikono TV". This will close Classic TV after you open XBMC.

Also, having a Plex server means that it'll sync the watched/unwatched status as well as keep your progress between different Plex clients.

Kodi can do the same thing if you use upnp from the host pc.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Me too.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Call Me Charlie posted:

Amazon FireTV Utility App (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2736774) has most of this stuff built in and you can change the icon to a Kodi logo. (No rooting required to change the icon despite what the program says)

I was coming in to post exactly this. I absolutely love th FireTV utility app (AdbFire on Mac). It's taken all of the legwork out of tweaking the FireTV. I only wish I had known about it before I bought mine so that I could have tried rooting it to gain USB drive support.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I've been poking around and it seems to get slightly better if you use some magical combination of enabling/disabling direct play/stream, use the legacy transcoder and possibly the experimental player. I haven't found the magical recipe though. Something is definitely hosed.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

the UI is much cleaner.

In case you didn't realize, XBMC has 100 bajillion different skins to try.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
We have a Fire Stick and use it for amazon videos, netflix, and xbmc. Other than the god awful youtube app and goofy amazon interface, it does everything we need. And thanks to CEC we only need a single remote to control everything.

I signed us up for SlingTV which has ended up kinda sucking (terrible UI) but it did come with $50 off a full Fire TV and since it was already on sale I bought one. I can't think of any reason we need the usb port, so is there really any reason to switch to the full Fire TV? It has a better processor and more memory. Is this actually appreciable?

A nice thing about the Stick is that it is only on if the TV is on so that surely saves some power and requires less cables.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Kaluza-Klein posted:

We have a Fire Stick and use it for amazon videos, netflix, and xbmc. Other than the god awful youtube app and goofy amazon interface, it does everything we need. And thanks to CEC we only need a single remote to control everything.

I signed us up for SlingTV which has ended up kinda sucking (terrible UI) but it did come with $50 off a full Fire TV and since it was already on sale I bought one. I can't think of any reason we need the usb port, so is there really any reason to switch to the full Fire TV? It has a better processor and more memory. Is this actually appreciable?

A nice thing about the Stick is that it is only on if the TV is on so that surely saves some power and requires less cables.

I have both. There's a few advantages with going with the big Fire TV.

- Comes with the voice remote. Ignoring the mic, it doesn't feel as cheap as the one included with the Stick.
- Doesn't run as hot as the Stick does.
- USB port like you said. Keyboard, mouse, dongles, 360 controllers.
- Ethernet port. Handy if you don't have strong wifi.
- More game support.
- Being able to increase the cache in Kodi thanks to the additional RAM.
- Slightly smoother response when navigating a gigantic Kodi library (mine has 2000+ items)

Negatives are you need a HDMI cable and it's less portable.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Feb 22, 2015

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Call Me Charlie posted:

Sweet. I shouldn't have to use plex anymore, thank jebus.

RiSK
Dec 9, 2006

The Red Rocket Rifle
OK, what the gently caress.

So I got my first Fire TV in the mail about a week ago. I fired it up, started using it and loved it. While cruising menus, I saw an update was available, so, I opted to install it. When I hit "ok" to install it, the screen went black and never came back. I left it for a few hours to do its thing, thinking maybe it was updating in the dark, but nothing. I unplugged and plugged it back in. Nothing. Dead as a doornail. I called Amazon and they shipped me a new one free of charge.

I got the new one, hooked it up, used it for a few days and thought all was well. Flash forward to tonight. I get home, turn on the TV and the thing is dead again. Not responding to the remote, not coming back after unplugging it and plugging it back in, etc.

Am I doing something wrong? Or is it common for these things to poo poo the bed after 2 days of use? Guess I'll have Amazon send me another one but I'm debating just getting a refund. This is a pain in the rear end.

edit: found this so I guess it's not just me. Bad batch of units?

RiSK fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Feb 23, 2015

Mauldoon
Nov 9, 2009
Has anyone been having any problems with the Netflix app on the Fire tv? For a few weeks the pictures/text on the main browse screen have been overlapping with each other, making it hard to see what I am selecting.

Yesterday I tried reinstalling the app and I am now stuck at the login screen and it looks like this and this.

I chatted with Netflix support and after going through deleting data, reinstalling the app, factory reset of the Fire tv, they told me to just wait a few hours and it will be fixed, that was about 24 hours ago.

Does anyone have an idea why this is happening and how I can fix it?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Mauldoon posted:

Has anyone been having any problems with the Netflix app on the Fire tv? For a few weeks the pictures/text on the main browse screen have been overlapping with each other, making it hard to see what I am selecting.

Yesterday I tried reinstalling the app and I am now stuck at the login screen and it looks like this and this.

I chatted with Netflix support and after going through deleting data, reinstalling the app, factory reset of the Fire tv, they told me to just wait a few hours and it will be fixed, that was about 24 hours ago.

Does anyone have an idea why this is happening and how I can fix it?

Do you get the onscreen keyboard issue outside the Netflix app?

I'm thinking it's an issue with the box instead of the app.

Mauldoon
Nov 9, 2009

Call Me Charlie posted:

Do you get the onscreen keyboard issue outside the Netflix app?

I'm thinking it's an issue with the box instead of the app.

No, I tried several different apps(Crackle, Vimeo, Youtube, Pandora) that you have to sign into and I tried the text search on the home screen and those all worked.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I can't plug a USB into this thing? drat you, Amazon.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

FogHelmut posted:

I can't plug a USB into this thing? drat you, Amazon.

USB what? Keyboards, controllers, and a few other odds and ends work out the box. External drives I think only work on rooted FireTVs, and I am pretty sure that you can't plug anything at all in to the stick because it doesn't have the hardware to do it.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

KKKLIP ART posted:

USB what? Keyboards, controllers, and a few other odds and ends work out the box. External drives I think only work on rooted FireTVs, and I am pretty sure that you can't plug anything at all in to the stick because it doesn't have the hardware to do it.

Yeah I wasn't clear. USB drive. Kind of annoying.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
There's been a rumor since the original launched that Amazon was working on adding usb support where you could expand your storage but I haven't heard anything since the initial rumor. It makes sense that they would do that eventually now that there's a number of games that take up like 3-4 GB each but Amazon software development is drat near glacial.

-------

Star Wars: Knights Of The Old Republic was added. $9.99 http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Knights-Old-Republic/dp/B00SNQGCNC

And some app called Hotlist was added. http://www.amazon.com/Samba-TV-Hotlist/dp/B00TTR3J6W

aftvnews posted:

Most notably is Hotlist, a video hub app which offers “all the best internet videos” from over 80 different sources like CNET, Lifetime, College Humor, Break, Engadget, and Fora just to name a few.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Feb 27, 2015

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Yeah its really frustrating. I wanted to do more emulation and gaming with the FireTV but the lack of storage is a huge problem. I sent in some feedback to customer service about it but who knows if that even reaches anyone.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

A low profile 32GB thumb drive and a few Xbox 360 controllers could make the Fire a nice retro game emulation station

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zyme
Aug 15, 2000
I've been trying for a while to get my fire tv box working with xbmc "just right" for a while now and seem to finally have been successful, without being able to or needing to root.

What I did was sideload SPMC (fork of xbmc optimized for android, latest version based on kodi 14.1), then "purchased" the free SPMC app from the Amazon store. After syncing my box I now can launch SPMC right from the home screen from an icon in the recent apps list, and the default settings work perfectly, with smooth playback, sync'd audio, and it even goes too sleep if I pause a video.

SPMC is functionally identical to Kodi but performs much better on the fire tv in my experience. The main Kodi builds would always stutter a lot playing 1080p for me, but not SPMC, using only the default settings.

As a sidenote, Kodi is apparently on the official store now too, so you could purchase it and have the icon show up on the home screen in the same way.

Hopefully this is helpful to others who may have been frustrated by some of the quirks of this configuration in the past. As it is for me now, this setup is exactly what i had hoped for when buying this box.

• Locked thread