Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Id also say get the transcoding models, as they work with android devices and you can stream over the internet and poo poo with vlc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Oh wow, ok. I think its time I give Dish a call, and tell them to suck it.

edit: wait i've read you can't pause or rewind? Also how the hell do you watch it on PC? I'm at work and don't see a way. This trial may be a short one.

The PC app is real rough currently. Roku works pretty well.

If AMC, BBCAmerics, and IFC are all included in the core package I'll keep it.

The rewind and DVR features are real weird. I can go back and watch basically any show from Food Network or HGTV, but I can't fast forward thru them. So, I start watching a show, have to leave, and come back to watch the rest. But I can't just resume from 32 minutes in, gotta start from the start.

Also ESPN/2 isn't the television stream. No commercials, which is actually not great. If I want sports playing in the background I prefer actual commercials, not the WatchESPN "Currently in commercial" message and elevator music.

But if they get BBCAmerica, all is forgiven.

Jadius
May 12, 2001

FISSION MAILED!

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

Also ESPN/2 isn't the television stream. No commercials, which is actually not great. If I want sports playing in the background I prefer actual commercials, not the WatchESPN "Currently in commercial" message and elevator music.

Having watched a lot of this type of poo poo I've found that you eventually get used to it, though I can say that because of this watching this year's Super Bowl (legally) through the NBC Sports XBMC add-on just wasn't the same.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
I'm excited to try Sling TV. Not having cable the fact I would get access to ESPN and TNT for NBA games on Thursday night is worth it for me. Also my wife loves Travem, Food and HGTV.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Looks like Sling TV is doing a promo where you get a free Amazon Fire TV Stick or $50 off a normal Fire TV if you prepay for 3 months of service. Kinda ironic since the Sling TV app hasn't been released for it yet but the deal's still worth mentioning. The Sling TV app has been released. http://www.amazon.com/Dish-Digital-Sling-Television/dp/B00ODC5N80

https://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?docId=1002997141

quote:

Redeeming the Promotion

- Sign up for your subscription on the Sling TV website and prepay three months of Sling TV service.
- After signing up, you will receive a promotion code that can be used for $50 off Amazon Fire TV or a free Fire TV Stick.
- Copy the promotional code, go to https://www.amazon.com/redeemslingtvoffer, and add one Amazon Fire TV or Fire TV Stick to your shopping cart.
- Proceed to check out. Paste or enter the promotional code in the “Enter a gift card or promotion code” field, click the ‘Apply’ button and complete your order.
- When your device arrives, simply plug it in, connect to the internet, and start enjoying instantly.

The promo code you receive must be redeemed by June 5, 2015.

quote:

Update
Existing Sling TV customers can contact Sling TV customer support and ask to be included in this promotion without having to signup a second time.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Feb 12, 2015

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
That's a p. nice deal and I think I'll get another fire tv

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
I have a Fire TV stick but I might have to pick up a Fire TV with that deal.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
This is a niche application, but for college basketball fans sling tv is fantastic. I'll gladly pay $25 a month for 4 months if it means I get 90% of the top 25 matchups.

MLB.tv and NHL Gamecenter have been stellar, and this is the final piece for finally having all the sports I follow off a cable sub.

BitesizedNike fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Feb 14, 2015

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

So what's your total cost and amortized cost over the number of months you've got to have these subs?

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

sellouts posted:

So what's your total cost and amortized cost over the number of months you've got to have these subs?

MLB tv is 25 for the season. NHL is free through my job. So 125 total for the year.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

I've wanted a Fire TV anyways, so looks like Sling TV figured out a way to get me to try their service. I'll give $10 for three months a shot.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Slowhanded posted:

MLB tv is 25 for the season.
That's each per 4 people, right?

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

That's each per 4 people, right?

It's $130 this season and usually split between 5 people. There's a thread that gets started every year in Coupons for it.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Call Me Charlie posted:

Looks like Sling TV is doing a promo where you get a free Amazon Fire TV Stick or $50 off a normal Fire TV if you prepay for 3 months of service. Kinda ironic since the Sling TV app hasn't been released for it yet but the deal's still worth mentioning. The Sling TV app has been released. http://www.amazon.com/Dish-Digital-Sling-Television/dp/B00ODC5N80

https://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?docId=1002997141

I had cancelled when the free trial was over, but this sucked me in. I'm really wanting a Roku 4, but I figured I might as well try the Fire TV for $34 ($84 minus $50 promo) to get access to Amazon Prime music and Pluto.TV in the front room with the Sling TV. Now I have an extra Fire Stick and Roku 1 just floating around.

Anyone else having problems with the Maker channel? Other channels load for me, but the Maker channel just sits there.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Silly Burrito posted:

I had cancelled when the free trial was over, but this sucked me in. I'm really wanting a Roku 4, but I figured I might as well try the Fire TV for $34 ($84 minus $50 promo) to get access to Amazon Prime music and Pluto.TV in the front room with the Sling TV. Now I have an extra Fire Stick and Roku 1 just floating around.

Anyone else having problems with the Maker channel? Other channels load for me, but the Maker channel just sits there.

Is there any reason apart from 4k to upgrade from 3 to 4?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Sheikh Djibouti posted:

Is there any reason apart from 4k to upgrade from 3 to 4?

I just prefer the Roku interface to the Amazon one. A lot less cluttered.

The Roku 3 has been out for two years now, so I figure they'll have to be upgrading it soon, especially since the Fire Tv and Nexus Player both have search by speech. But, for $34, at the worst, I can swap out the Fire Stick in the bedroom with the Fire TV and use hard wired Ethernet since the Wifi gets a bit wonky with my Fire Stick.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Ahh OK. Well, if it's anything like the one on the 3, you'll love it. We have apple TV, cable, etc. but the Roku is by far the most user friendly device, in addition to the huge channel selection.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I am thinking that in between the Roku stick and the Roku TV lines, it will still be a year before the new box.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Sheikh Djibouti posted:

Ahh OK. Well, if it's anything like the one on the 3, you'll love it. We have apple TV, cable, etc. but the Roku is by far the most user friendly device, in addition to the huge channel selection.

I agree, I really enjoy the Roku 3 we have now. The only three things I don't like about it:

1. No Pluto.TV app.
2. Roku 3 Youtube app has been upgraded recently and it is definitely a step back. Fire Stick still has the old app.
3. No Amazon Prime music support. Just Amazon music, I believe.

All of these things are minor and can easily be added sometime, but it took awhile for Youtube to officially get to Roku again once it was yanked the first time, so who knows?

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I am thinking that in between the Roku stick and the Roku TV lines, it will still be a year before the new box.

Possibly since besides speech search and 4k, there's really not a reason to have a Roku 4 besides whatever speed gains they'd get with newer chips, and the Roku 3 is still pretty fast. But, I still hope they do. I'd love if they built a Boxee Box type device that allowed local file playback with the Roku interface but I doubt that would ever happen.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I set up the week trial for Sling TV and after 2 days, I cancelled. The video quality was fine. The biggest issue I had was the fact that I had forgotten how much crap is on tv. TNT was showing the 3 Matrix movies. tBS had 4 hours of Friends. hGTV was property bros after property bros. Food Network had 4 episodes of Guy Fieri shows in a row.

Almost 4 years of not having cable or satellite, I had forgotten how horrible the TV landscape was.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I set up the week trial for Sling TV and after 2 days, I cancelled. The video quality was fine. The biggest issue I had was the fact that I had forgotten how much crap is on tv. TNT was showing the 3 Matrix movies. tBS had 4 hours of Friends. hGTV was property bros after property bros. Food Network had 4 episodes of Guy Fieri shows in a row.

Almost 4 years of not having cable or satellite, I had forgotten how horrible the TV landscape was.

This happened to me. So much of it is just poo poo to have running in the background of whatever you're doing on a random Saturday, and of course most of it has dirt-cheap rerun rights so it's on Netflix anyway. I didn't cancel cable just because of how much it cost, I disliked the whole thing.

Still gonna get it for ESPN when college football comes back.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

TheScott2K posted:

This happened to me. So much of it is just poo poo to have running in the background of whatever you're doing on a random Saturday, and of course most of it has dirt-cheap rerun rights so it's on Netflix anyway. I didn't cancel cable just because of how much it cost, I disliked the whole thing.

Still gonna get it for ESPN when college football comes back.

See, for me, it's worth it for AMC. I was having trouble convincing the wife to get on board with canceling cable because she loves the walking dead and wants to watch it live, so I'm willing to spend $20 a month on this just for that show to avoid paying for cable anymore

Jakcson
Sep 15, 2013
This probably sounds like a dumb idea for cutting cable, but I recently, and accidentally, stumbled across a few websites that seem to suggest picking up a (relatively) old fashioned HDTV antenna for my HDTV.

Has anyone here actually tried doing this?

It seems like a cheaper alternative to streaming a lot of stuff, and I suppose if I had a recordable DVD player (kinda like a VHS), I could capture most of the shows I wanted to see and watch them later.

It would probably also be cheaper to just rent some shows from Redbox or maybe even buy them when they get released to DVD or BluRay (at least when comparing it to the long term cost of having cable subscriptions for some very expensive channels, and some movies do seem to look better on BluRay than they do in theaters, and definitely better than they do on HDTV).

I feel so old and stupid after typing that out. Then again, I also did inbound sales for a cable company for awhile, so I have to admit that I'm extremely leery of getting into one of those contracts. I quit that job a few months ago, and I'm much happier now working as a delivery driver for 27 hours a week. I'm also making $100 more a week than I did when I was working 40 hours.

Yay!

I should probably see if I can work part time somewhere else and see if I can convince them to let me work 20 hours in a 2 day period, that way I can still have one day off a week, and earn around $550 a week. I could certainly make more money doing skilled jobs, but I like to smoke weed (and on that note, "wax" can really help you save money on that stuff, and it's much more discreet when you vape it) and drop acid.

Jakcson fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Feb 23, 2015

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz

Jakcson posted:

This probably sounds like a dumb idea for cutting cable, but I recently, and accidentally, stumbled across a few websites that seem to suggest picking up a (relatively) old fashioned HDTV antenna for my HDTV.

Has anyone here actually tried doing this?

Isn't that what most people do when they cut cable? The first thing I did was buy an amplified antenna, and everyone I know who cut cable has one.

Not sure what's so old fashioned about them, its not some novel idea.

Jakcson
Sep 15, 2013

nickutz posted:

Isn't that what most people do when they cut cable? The first thing I did was buy an amplified antenna, and everyone I know who cut cable has one.

Not sure what's so old fashioned about them, its not some novel idea.

...aside from the fact that TV was originally broadcast and meant to be received via antenna?

I'm not trying to be snarky, but... I'm pretty sure the concept of not having rabbit ears on your TV is a relatively new concept.

On a more serious note, is there any particular reason why HDTV and high speed internet access isn't free for everyone that pays taxes in the USA? If we can afford to spend trillions of dollars on things that aren't improving our economy, and quadrillions on nations that end up trying to destroy us, why can't we spend a couple billion on entertaining American Citizens?

Jakcson fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Feb 23, 2015

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Jakcson posted:

On a more serious note, is there any particular reason why HDTV and high speed internet access isn't free for everyone that pays taxes in the USA? If we can afford to spend trillions of dollars on things that aren't improving our economy, and quadrillions on nations that end up trying to destroy us, why can't we spend a couple billion on entertaining American Citizens?

What do you have against job creation?

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Jakcson posted:

...aside from the fact that TV was originally broadcast and meant to be received via antenna?

I'm not trying to be snarky, but... I'm pretty sure the concept of not having rabbit ears on your TV is a relatively new concept.

I'm not trying to be snarky either but getting an antenna is like "cutting cable 101" for many people.

And on your "serious note" it's because private business laid the lines that connect your house to the internet, not the federal government. Sometimes local municipalities will build out their own high speed broadband or city-wide wifi though and that's usually not free either.

Jakcson
Sep 15, 2013
I'm combining two posts into one to save bandwidth, mostly because I'm selfish and I don't waste my own time loading this page.

withak posted:

What do you have against job creation?

I have nothing against letting qualified people doing the jobs they are qualified to do. Speaking as someone that was overqualified to do many jobs, and was not considered for many of those jobs for that reason, I have to say "HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH gently caress YOU"

Your small penis and your lack of self esteem has not negatively impacted my self esteem. I sometimes wonder why the myth of the large African-American penis exists, if not to intimidate Americans. Is it true, or is it not?

nickutz posted:

I'm not trying to be snarky either but getting an antenna is like "cutting cable 101" for many people.

To be fair, I was a radioman in the US Navy, and I totally understand what you are getting at. Your argument is not with me, though.

quote:

And on your "serious note" it's because private business laid the lines that connect your house to the internet, not the federal government. Sometimes local municipalities will build out their own high speed broadband or city-wide wifi though and that's usually not free either.

Sadly, that is true. We sometimes have to make sacrifices in order to encourage private companies to do things that our government will not do for us.

But once they are no longer necessary, feel free to discard them.

That is the nature of the predator.

Jakcson fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Feb 23, 2015

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

The government doesn't owe us free internet just like they don't owe us free water or electricity.

Hey at least if the Gov gave us all free unlimited broadband they wouldn't have to bother with the formality of pesky court orders to get our browsing data from the ISP's.

For thread content: Sling TV is pretty cool. I did the trial with the sports and news extra packs, ended up not keeping it because I can add cable tv to my internet sub for the same price as sling with more channels and on demand.

edit: what..

nickutz fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Feb 23, 2015

Jakcson
Sep 15, 2013

nickutz posted:

The government doesn't owe us free internet just like they don't owe us free water or electricity.

Hey at least if the Gov gave us all free unlimited broadband they wouldn't have to bother with the formality of pesky court orders to get our browsing data from the ISP's.

For thread content: Sling TV is pretty cool. I did the trial with the sports and news extra packs, ended up not keeping it because I can add cable tv to my internet sub for the same price as sling with more channels and on demand.

If the government didn't owe us free internet, why would President Obama promise us free healthcare?

Why does "ObamaCare" even exist as something anyone can say?

edit: How can I get this free broadband? I am one of those minimum wage American workers with a bachelor's degree. Please tell me how I can earn more more money. Earning less than $11k a year kinda loving sucks.

I put blue and red chicken in ur mouf... now help me, PLEASE.

I want to be a millionaire; you can maek me filfy rifh, canfth you??? How do bubulz wurk?

Jakcson fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Feb 23, 2015

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Jakcson posted:

If the government didn't owe us free internet, why would President Obama promise us free healthcare?

Why does "ObamaCare" even exist as something anyone can say?

edit: How can I get this free broadband? I am one of those minimum wage American workers with a bachelor's degree. Please tell me how I can earn more more money. Earning less than $11k a year kinda loving sucks.

I put blue and red chicken in ur mouf... now help me, PLEASE.

I want to be a millionaire; you can maek me filfy rifh, canfth you??? How do bubulz wurk?

I'm not sure i get this gimmick account, is it just low effort trolling?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

StorrowS posted:

I'm not sure i get this gimmick account, is it just low effort trolling?

I think he was just having an awesome night partying in front of his computer.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

nickutz posted:

See: Phone Lines.

Obama I think even mentioned looking into treating the Internet like a required utility, which would be great because cable companies are loving me so hard I can't even get it up anymore unless I've got coax tied around my balls.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Hdtv is free whether you pay taxes or not.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Don Lapre posted:

Hdtv is free whether you pay taxes or not.

No nipples though.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

PuTTY riot posted:

No nipples though.

The death of the independent UHF station is almost criminal in this regard.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Jakcson posted:

Please tell me how I can earn more more money. Earning less than $11k a year kinda loving sucks.

Jakcson posted:

I could certainly make more money doing skilled jobs, but I like to smoke weed (and on that note, "wax" can really help you save money on that stuff, and it's much more discreet when you vape it) and drop acid.

Jakcson posted:

I like to smoke weed (and on that note, "wax" can really help you save money on that stuff, and it's much more discreet when you vape it) and drop acid.

Jakcson posted:

I like to smoke weed and drop acid.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Same.

Jakcson
Sep 15, 2013

BigFactory posted:

I think he was just having an awesome night partying in front of his computer.

This is what I get for taking acid and not disconnecting my computer from the internet.

I don't even remember posting that, but I'm honestly shocked that I didn't get put on probation or banned for that (it probably helped that one of my posts in this thread had actual content).

I'm a huge dumbass sometimes. Sorry.

edit: Woah, my posts in a certain other thread were much worse. I need to stay away from people and the internet when I'm high and/or drunk.

edit2: Winners don't use drugs. Don't be like me. And get an HDTV antenna for your TV.

Jakcson fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Feb 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Jakcson posted:

This is what I get for taking acid and not disconnecting my computer from the internet.

I don't even remember posting that, but I'm honestly shocked that I didn't get put on probation or banned for that (it probably helped that one of my posts in this thread had actual content).

I'm a huge dumbass sometimes. Sorry.

edit: Woah, my posts in a certain other thread were much worse. I need to stay away from people and the internet when I'm high and/or drunk.

edit2: Winners don't use drugs. Don't be like me. And get an HDTV antenna for your TV.

This whole thing was amazing, btw.