Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

open container posted:

My mom would always try to drag me to Caldor to shop for clothes I had to beg her to take me to Bradlees.

I love the semi-local off-brand stores. We shopped at Bradlees in Boston. I can't remember if it was them or another place that specialized in factory seconds. My mom bought me a pair of pants that had two different-length legs, which she never bothered to hem for me.

In Colorado, the equivalent were Alco and Duckwalls. Both of which, I believe, have gone out of business.

A few decades ago, I managed to get to the store closing sale of the local White Front. Since the entire chain was going under, they had no place to shuffle the extra merchandise to, so they were just selling everything at 90% off. I waited in line for 4 hours, but managed to score quite a bit of decent camping equipment (including a rifle) for a song.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

There used to be a Brandlees in PA my mom would take me to and after shopping she would get me a cherry ICEE. i love you mom rip

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Space Bat posted:

While K-Mart is depressing, a few years ago I went to a full sized Shopko and it was dimly lit and the video game section had nothing but microsoft word CDs and a million copies of the Left Behind game for 90 dollars.

What the gently caress is a shopko dont make things up

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

I work at Sears and yea it's pretty terrible. Something I found out is they're now doing this monthly contest where people submit ideas to save the company money. First place gets $1500 and the winner last month was to remove the hanger labels (the ones that say the size) and reuse the hangers so we don't have to worry about sorting them or getting the right hanger. I've been doing this since I started there 2 years ago.

open container
Sep 16, 2008

Decrepus posted:

There used to be a Brandlees in PA my mom would take me to and after shopping she would get me a cherry ICEE. i love you mom rip

RIP Decrepus's mom

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Cowman posted:

I work at Sears and yea it's pretty terrible. Something I found out is they're now doing this monthly contest where people submit ideas to save the company money. First place gets $1500 and the winner last month was to remove the hanger labels (the ones that say the size) and reuse the hangers so we don't have to worry about sorting them or getting the right hanger. I've been doing this since I started there 2 years ago.

My idea is to only give the winner 1000 dollars instantly saving the company 500 dollars.

open container
Sep 16, 2008

Cowman posted:

Are you guys concerned with actually making money or just saving it?

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Spaceman Future! posted:

My idea is to only give the winner 1000 dollars instantly saving the company 500 dollars.

lol'd at this

Rutibex posted:

PROTIP: make concentrated orangejuice with club soda instead of water

indeed

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare

Spaceman Future! posted:

They're a Midwestern thing. Imagine if K-Mart had the lighting of a dungeon and you'd know what a Shopko is. Over the past 10 years I've been to the same one three times and it's always had the same forty copies of the left behind game. Hmm, I wonder if that store's still open.

Apparently now most of their stores are like Walgreens.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Spaceman Future! posted:

I put in an actually good idea and I'm probably not going to win because they claim they're already trying it out. To submit your idea you have to use this social networking thing called Pebble that you can only access while on the clock at work. It's also terribly structured and absolutely ridiculous to try to navigate if you're not on a tablet. They had an idea to speed up the checkout process by giving everyone iPads and letting the employees run around with the iPad and check people out. I'm not entirely sure how that would work but they never did it. The registers also run on an old version of Unix and they're trying to make us utilize the touch screens but it just makes things slower and more of a pain in the rear end.

open container posted:

Are you guys concerned with actually making money or just saving it?

"Yes"
Not in the slightest :rip:

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Spaceman Future! posted:

Repeat every month until the winner gets 5 dollars.

Make me CEO.

Cowman posted:

Great, now I have the check the tags on eveything when I shop at sears.(which is never)

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

There's a lot of incredibly dumb and terrible poo poo the CEO has done to try and save the company money. Basically the only thing keeping Sears afloat is the credit card stuff where they get paid by Citi for credit cards.

Edit: All of the computers at work still run XP and IE8 but can barely load anything because they're so old and probably have never had any maintenance on them.

Edit 2: We've had a couple people decide to just take clothes into the fitting room and pee on them. I don't know why because the restrooms are easy to find.

Cowman fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Feb 22, 2015

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I went to Sears last week to buy a screwdriver and all the racks where they would be hanging were all empty.

Also the electronic section was full of empty glass cases where video games used to be kept.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I went to Sears last week to buy a screwdriver and all the racks where they would be hanging were all empty.

Also the electronic section was full of empty glass cases where video games used to be kept.

The Sears I work at has stopped carrying video games in favor of TVs and cell phones. We also stopped carrying Carhartt and New Balance because of reasons. It's getting pretty pathetic since stuff is getting clearanced out and not replaced.

VVV Land's End is no longer owned by Sears. They told us we were going to stop accepting returns like a year ago but that never happened. VVV

Cowman fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Feb 22, 2015

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I think I own a pair of Lands End jeans. They're pretty ok.

Well that's the end of my Sears story.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
We were trying to find collegiate stuff for our then, 8 month old daughter once. My wife was like "Heyy lets go to Kmart" and I winced but thought it'd be easier to go in there rather than seem elitist about being in a Kmart".

Just like a lot of the photos, the racks were all half empty and there were more people working there than shopping there. They had like...4 pieces of collegiate baby clothes in their "College" section. It was really depressing.

I'm so surprised when I see ads come out for them, even on Black Friday. Why are you even still trying?

Sears was cool when I was a kid though. My parents would go to Sears and they had a nintendo with the original zelda on it that you could play right there in the store!!1! They'd drop me off there and I'd try to play the game a bit before taking off. Sears ruled.

Now, I don't even know if I want to look there for a dishwasher or TV or anything. Like the products I get there will be somehow tainted.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Is the Craftsman line of tools going to be okay if Sears goes under? :ohdear:

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

Piggy Wiggly's are also barren wastelands which cater to the dying.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Space Bat posted:

Piggy Wiggly's are also barren wastelands which cater to the dying.

The only time I ever heard of piggly wiggly was on a jeff foxworthy recording.

Thats my piggly wiggly story.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

yeah probably. half the reason kmart bought sears is probably kenmore & craftsman

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Fetus Tree posted:

yeah probably. half the reason kmart bought sears is probably kenmore & craftsman

Wait, which bought which? I've heard it both ways in this thread.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

wilderthanmild posted:

Wait, which bought which? I've heard it both ways in this thread.

quote:

Kmart (sometimes stylized as K-Mart) is an American chain of discount department stores headquartered in Hoffman Estates, Illinois, United States. The chain purchased Sears for $11 billion in 2005, forming a new corporation under the name Sears Holdings Corporation.

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

Ace Hardware sells Craftsman now. And I'm pretty sure it's one of the lines that the franchises are required to carry.

Dr. Thodt
Jun 28, 2002
Craftsman is made in China now, mostly. Also, not all of their tools have a lifetime warranty. Most of them have no warranty, or a 25 year warranty (receipt required)

LOL if you've bought anything craftsman in the last 5-10 years.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

wilderthanmild posted:

The only time I ever heard of piggly wiggly was on a jeff foxworthy recording.

Thats my piggly wiggly story.

i think i drove past a piggly wiggly outside pensacola a few weeks ago

thats my piggly wiggly story

in a few years every store in the south will be family dollar

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

InterceptorV8 posted:

Are you sure? D&D goons say outright that puts them in a FOOD DESERT and they are completely unable to do anything over being half a mile away from dingdongs and chocolate milk at all times.

Lacking transportation doesn't make people terrible customers and the only terrible customers in the area.

My area has a couple Kmarts still open and this thread made me curious enough to visit one. It was unremarkable. It was like a smaller, less busy, and dirtier Walmart. Decently organized, stocked, and staffed. I could understand shopping there just to avoid the size and crowds of Walmart. It was nothing like the cherry-picked pictures that would have made for a much more interesting trip.

But the "dirtier" aspect is a bigger problem than it sounds like. It's not about mopping the floors like Todd Glass suggested. The floors are clean but you can see where the layout has changed and fixtures were moved because there are lines of linoleum tile in a slightly darker color. The ceiling is lower than a current big box store, making the store feel darker and claustrophobic. You can spot ceiling tiles that have been replaced because they're also a slighter different shade. The signage out front looks fifteen years old, somehow even the Craftsman sign. They desperately need to remodel the entire store (or relocate, like Walmart) but I guess nobody is crazy enough to lend them that much capital.

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine

Dr. Thodt posted:

I bought their work shoes recently. Yeah, apparently that's a thing.

Holy poo poo, I just googled it and apparently they're way more expensive online than in-store. I caught the ol' BOGO sale and got two fer twenny.

Macatt
May 3, 2005

Cowman posted:

I was at a Sears yesterday, and the hangers there still had their size labels. I was looking at a certain coat, and of the ~10 on the rack, two were on the wrong hangers. So, it's a good enough idea, but it's not being implemented across the board yet.

That location also stopped carrying anything related to video games within the last couple months.

Cowman posted:

They had an idea to speed up the checkout process by giving everyone iPads and letting the employees run around with the iPad and check people out. I'm not entirely sure how that would work but they never did it. The registers also run on an old version of Unix and they're trying to make us utilize the touch screens but it just makes things slower and more of a pain in the rear end.

Guy at the register rang me up using an iPad. Every scan required like three more steps than any scan should (which is one: "scan item"). He said it was still faster than using their regular computers.

Spaceman Future! posted:

Shopko is like a Target crossed with a K-Mart. They recently were selling 39" 4K televisions for $250.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

gggiiimmmppp posted:

i think i drove past a piggly wiggly outside pensacola a few weeks ago

thats my piggly wiggly story

in a few years every store in the south will be family dollar

what, by the interstate

open container
Sep 16, 2008

apowe posted:

I was at a Sears yesterday, and the hangers there still had their size labels. I was looking at a certain coat, and of the ~10 on the rack, two were on the wrong hangers. So, it's a good enough idea, but it's not being implemented across the board yet.

this is not a good idea you godless monster

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

The Twinkie Czar posted:

But the "dirtier" aspect is a bigger problem than it sounds like. It's not about mopping the floors like Todd Glass suggested. The floors are clean but you can see where the layout has changed and fixtures were moved because there are lines of linoleum tile in a slightly darker color. The ceiling is lower than a current big box store, making the store feel darker and claustrophobic. You can spot ceiling tiles that have been replaced because they're also a slighter different shade. The signage out front looks fifteen years old, somehow even the Craftsman sign. They desperately need to remodel the entire store (or relocate, like Walmart) but I guess nobody is crazy enough to lend them that much capital.

The K-Mart's food section I used to go to always smelled like mouse poo poo. I feel bad for the people who shopped there out of necessity.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

When Sears goes under they're probably sell all their brands off, like they have already done with Land's End. They really should have done that 8 years ago as their current CEO is poison.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Brotein_Shake posted:

Yesssssss I couldn't remember the name but it was in the last k-mart thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Odz_-BcKxx0

:laffo:

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

BKPR posted:

on the subject of dollar stores: i found a cd of wizard clipart at one, but they wouldn't sell it it me because they had been ordered to destroy it.

you cannot convince me that governmwnt men in black were not involved covering up secrer wizard documents

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

Dr. Thodt posted:

Craftsman is made in China now, mostly. Also, not all of their tools have a lifetime warranty. Most of them have no warranty, or a 25 year warranty (receipt required)

My grandfather bought a whole bunch of Craftsman tools in the 1930's, when he started his trucking business. In the 1970s, I remember going with him to Sears to replace a broken socket wrench. The guy behind the counter asked if maybe he had just used it a lot over 40 years and wore it out. Granddad pointed out that "Lifetime" had a specific meaning, and seeing as how he was still alive, the warranty still applied. He got a new wrench, which I now own.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

genesplicer posted:

Granddad pointed out that "Lifetime" had a specific meaning, and seeing as how he was still alive, the warranty still applied. He got a new wrench, which I now own.

That's pretty awesome.

Also this thread is way more fun than it has any right to be

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.
It's interesting to hear that Sears was already being dickish about Craftsman warranties in the 70s.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Xaris posted:

p much, or to avoid local taxes.

anyways, was the pizza at k-mart in square shape? it's kinda hazy like a fevor dream but have some memories of my mom taking me there to shop and get square pizzam, though even as a kid i remember thinking the store was poo poo

Probably. They're based out of a square-pizza region.

Speaking of which, KMarts in the greater metro detroit area are still doing pretty well.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I think Kmart was used as an example of a "Bad Company/Good Stock" in one of my investing books. Basically the theory is that if a company is doing poorly then it could potentially be a better investment than a great company in the short term. Sometimes all these companies in dire straights have to do is a lay a bunch of people off to boost their stock price even if it hurts the long term prospects of the company.

edit:

quote:

The shares of good companies (Wal-Mart) are called "growth stocks", and those of bad companies (Kmart) are called "value stocks". Wal-Mart is safer, and Kmart is at risk of collapse. So...

Since Kmart is a much riskier company than Wal-Mart, investors expect a higher return from Kmart than they do Wal-Mart. If Kmart had the same expected return as Wal-Mart, no one would buy it! So its price must fall to the point where its expected return exceeds Wal-Mart. The key word is "expected", since there's no guarantee. So...

One of the most counterintuitive points in all of finance: Good companies are generally bad stocks, and bad companies are generally good stocks. (Studies prove this in many nations over long periods of time. Unglamorous unsafe value stocks with poor earnings have higher returns than glamorous growth stocks with good earnings.) Eugene Fama and Kenneth French. 1975-1996 across many countries, value stocks had a 5.28% average greater return than growth stocks.

Campbell Harvey @ Duke University extended this work to entire nations: returns are higher in the bad nations with the shakiest financial systems - because the risk there is highest.

The longer a risky asset is held, the less the chance of a loss.

Be wary of data demonstrating the superior long-term performance of U.S. stocks. For most of its history, the U.S. was a very risky place to invest, and its high investment returns reflect that. Now the U.S. is a "sure thing", prices have risen, and future investment returns will necessarily be lower.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Feb 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

This thread reminded me-didn't Radioshack just got bankrupt last month?

• Locked thread