Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Why in the heck was Munich not out on bluray?

I'm still waiting for True Lies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Why in the heck was Munich not out on bluray?

Lots of good movies are still not out on Blu. But the probable answer is that it came out in 2005, which was just before the launch of the PS3 and the whole mainstream High Def push. Munich (and a lot of other movies that came out in that time) got lost in the shuffle... somehow too old to be a new release but too new to be an interesting catalog title.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I just assumed it was a Jim Cameron situation where the director wanted to oversee the process and never had time.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Kingtheninja posted:

I just assumed it was a Jim Cameron situation where the director wanted to oversee the process and never had time.

I don't think Spielberg gives a poo poo about overseeing the releases of his films. Jurassic Park is a loving mess unless you watch the 3D version.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

PriorMarcus posted:

I don't think Spielberg gives a poo poo about overseeing the releases of his films. Jurassic Park is a loving mess unless you watch the 3D version.

That might be more of Universal, though. Most of his Blu releases are excellent quality.

Close Encounters is an absolutely perfect release.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

PriorMarcus posted:

I have the first blu ray before the 3d release and I think it looks like crap. How dramatic of a difference is the transfer on the 3D set? I'm reading up that some people think they overdid it and killed the grain but that it looks a lot better in other ways. Thoughts?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

The first release was artificially sharpened so there's lots of bad edges and haloing, also the biggest offense is the awful colour grading - it's really overly blue and looks a mess, especially in the jungle scenes.

The new version fixes all of that though, yes, it is at the expense of the grain quality and some extreme detail might be lost, but it's no where near the travisty that is Predator.

In my opinion, though, keep in mind as an editor the colour grade means a lot to me, the newer release is head and shoulders above the old. Plus, it's so cheap now you might as well see for yourself, and the 3D is shockingly good. It's probably the best conversion job of a catalogue film I've ever seen.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

PriorMarcus posted:

The first release was artificially sharpened so there's lots of bad edges and haloing, also the biggest offense is the awful colour grading - it's really overly blue and looks a mess, especially in the jungle scenes.

The new version fixes all of that though, yes, it is at the expense of the grain quality and some extreme detail might be lost, but it's no where near the travisty that is Predator.

In my opinion, though, keep in mind as an editor the colour grade means a lot to me, the newer release is head and shoulders above the old. Plus, it's so cheap now you might as well see for yourself, and the 3D is shockingly good. It's probably the best conversion job of a catalogue film I've ever seen.

Yeah, I saw the 3D print in IMAX, the conversion was INCREDIBLY well done.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

PriorMarcus posted:

It's only the 3D version that has the new grading though, correct? Like there's no way to watch it not in 3D and see the different transfer.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

TheJoker138 posted:

It's only the 3D version that has the new grading though, correct? Like there's no way to watch it not in 3D and see the different transfer.

I'm fairly sure the 3D disc can be played in 2D by a 3D player, but there's no 2D disc with the better transfer, no.

I'm actually not sure how a 3D disc works if you choose to view it 2D. Is that even possible? I think it used to be.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

edit: oops, misread

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

PriorMarcus posted:

I'm fairly sure the 3D disc can be played in 2D by a 3D player, but there's no 2D disc with the better transfer, no.

I'm actually not sure how a 3D disc works if you choose to view it 2D. Is that even possible? I think it used to be.

The Dredd blu-ray is a 3D disc that will play in 2D but I have absolutely no idea how that works. It just detects your settings when you put it in. I have Jurassic Park so I'll check later on this.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Doesn't it just, like, not play one side?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Doesn't it just, like, not play one side?

It's not a two sided disc.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm guessing he means side as in Left/Right side for the glasses.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Yeah, I mean, 3D is just two streams of frames being played at once so I'd expect a 3D Blu-Ray would just play one of them on a 2D tv.

fralbjabar
Jan 26, 2007
I am a meat popscicle.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Yeah, I mean, 3D is just two streams of frames being played at once so I'd expect a 3D Blu-Ray would just play one of them on a 2D tv.

You would think that, but then there's stuff like the Guardians of The Galaxy 3D release which has a separate 2D and 3D disk and the 3D disk won't play in a 2D player.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

CPL593H posted:

The Dredd blu-ray is a 3D disc that will play in 2D but I have absolutely no idea how that works. It just detects your settings when you put it in. I have Jurassic Park so I'll check later on this.

Hey would you mind testing the JP 3D disc on a non-3D tv? I'm curious to know if it will just play the 2D version. The only other one I've tried is Guardians of the Galaxy 3D and yeah that one just flat out doesn't play since my tv isn't 3D.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ApexAftermath posted:

Hey would you mind testing the JP 3D disc on a non-3D tv? I'm curious to know if it will just play the 2D version. The only other one I've tried is Guardians of the Galaxy 3D and yeah that one just flat out doesn't play since my tv isn't 3D.

It's lovely because the technology exist to just cancel out the 3D effect and play in 2D but it would hurt the branding/price point of 3D to do that. Lots of the earlier 3D disc though.

Saturniid19
Aug 1, 2006
brought to you by North Central Positronics

fralbjabar posted:

You would think that, but then there's stuff like the Guardians of The Galaxy 3D release which has a separate 2D and 3D disk and the 3D disk won't play in a 2D player.

Blu-ray.com says that Jurassic Park is the same. You need a 3D player and a 3D tv to watch the new transfer.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
The hill 3DTV wanted to die on, I guess.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
I swear I've had Munich on blu-ray for absolutely ages, but I went to the online store for the Australian store I bought it from and all but the DVD release has vanished. Did I will a disc into existence? Because it's right here on my shelf.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

PriorMarcus posted:

It's lovely because the technology exist to just cancel out the 3D effect and play in 2D but it would hurt the branding/price point of 3D to do that. Lots of the earlier 3D disc though.

I'm wondering if there is any real reason? I mean, it's not like if you just take one side, you're going to lose something. It's not a Godard film, for Christ's sake (he did a 3D film where he would do things like have one person go in one direction and another person go in a different direction, and then have one camera follow one and the other follow the other, and you'd get both images at the same time being sent to different eyes).

Although, I'm not one to talk. I haven't seen a 3D film since Tron Legacy, when I realized that I had a really hard time telling the difference between the 3D and 2D scenes, and if it doesn't really offer that big of a difference, why am I paying more for a stupid effect?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

ApexAftermath posted:

Yeah, I'll check that out.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Saturniid19 posted:

Blu-ray.com says that Jurassic Park is the same. You need a 3D player and a 3D tv to watch the new transfer.

Yeah, the 3D Jurassic Park disc refused to play on my 2D player at least.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Zat posted:

Yeah, the 3D Jurassic Park disc refused to play on my 2D player at least.

We're not talking about players, we're talking about having 3D capable players (PS3 or whatever) hooked up to a 2D TV and seeing if it will spit out a 2D image.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Be still my heart, I never thought this day would come...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OwbBBOdyc0

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

When I was 15 I went through a really heavy Pauly Shore phase. So part of me wants to buy this just because of nostalgia...bud-dy.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Thunderbean is releasing another Blu-Ray of classic animation. $19.94 shipped, releasing March 15th.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...DHXBLCXN6AG4UDG

quote:

Thunderbean presents 'Van Beuren Classics' a Blu-ray/ DVD combo collection of 17 cartoons produced by the Van Beuren cartoon studio from 1926 through 1936, all in new HD transfers, digitally cleaned up and restored from original 35mm and 16mm materials. Highlights include 'The Sunshine Makers' and 'Pastrytown Wedding', from The Library of Congress' excellent 35mm Cinecolor prints, Cubby Bear in 'Barking Dogs', The Little King in 'Sultan Pepper' Tom and Jerry in 'Wot a Night' and many more. The quality is stunning on most of these shorts, all available for the first time in HD.

Cartoons on this collection:

Hunting in 1950 (1926)
The Land O' Cotton (1929)
The Fly's Bride (1929)
Custard Pies (1929)
The Office Boy (1930)
Wot A Night (1931)
Makin' 'Em Move (1932)
The Wild Goose Chase (1932)
Barking Dogs (1933)
Silvery Moon (1933)
The Bully's End (1933)
Sultan Pepper (1934)
A Little Bird Told Me (1934)
Pastry Town Wedding (1934)
A Picnic Panic (1935)
The Sunshine Makers (1935)
Neptune Nonsense (1936)

Five Cent Deposit
Jun 5, 2005

Sestero did not write The Disaster Artist, it's not true! It's bullshit! He did not write it!
*throws water bottle*
He did nahhhhht.

Oh hi, Greg.

PriorMarcus posted:

Generally the 2D disc will have a much higher bit rate and will look cleaner as a result. That's the idea, at least.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

While people are talking tech-- is the Disney "WOW" calibration disc worthwhile, or should I spring for the Spears & Munsil?

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Rusty Staub posted:

While people are talking tech-- is the Disney "WOW" calibration disc worthwhile, or should I spring for the Spears & Munsil?

I like it a lot, but I've never used the Spears & Munsil one so I can't compare it. Worth noting is that if you're using a PS3, some of the tests are impossible unless you change around some settings. I wrote a review of it on Amazon listing the proper settings: http://www.amazon.com/review/R38WMGWRWFP8HV/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Rusty Staub posted:

Yeah it's real good. I have never used the second one you mentioned, though.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Warner Archive is releasing Twice Upon a Time this spring

...on DVD only.

I guess a cult favorite unavailable for two decades isn't expected to sell at least 2000 copies. Not surprising since they have had a few 4K remasters that went to DVD-R instead of Blu.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Egbert Souse posted:

...on DVD only.

I guess a cult favorite unavailable for two decades isn't expected to sell at least 2000 copies. Not surprising since they have had a few 4K remasters that went to DVD-R instead of Blu.

I wouldn't be surprised if they were pushing people towards their streaming service. They have a ton of HD titles up that never received a Blu release.

Krakox
Oct 9, 2012

Egbert Souse posted:

...on DVD only.

Hell, i'm just excited it's coming out at all. The rarity factor of it has always hooked me, like 'Urgh! A music War'. I hope if they're releasing it it'll probably be a little cleaned up, compared to decade and a half old recorded-from-HBO-on-a-VHS copies that are currently floating around.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
Which cut of Twice Upon a Time will they use, I wonder? Including both would be cool but I'd think I'd rather have one or the other rather than sacrifice image or soundtrack quality.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

The Time Dissolver posted:

Which cut of Twice Upon a Time will they use, I wonder? Including both would be cool but I'd think I'd rather have one or the other rather than sacrifice image or soundtrack quality.

Both http://www.cartoonbrew.com/dvd/john-kortys-twice-upon-a-time-coming-to-home-video-exclusive-109606.html

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
WHERE IS IT, SONY?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
To everyone who felt that something was missing in their life this past month, worry no more: Twilight Time has announced a new release date for Zardoz: April 14th.

• Locked thread