Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Darko posted:

I always liked We Gotta Power, which no one ever talks about. Although my favorite Hironobu Kageyama is probably M.D. Geist's end song.

I dug We Gotta Power. It fits the Z portion better than Cha La, I feel. GT sucked but as a kid I got Dan Dan Kokoru Hikareteku off Audiogalaxy and thought it was cool. And honestly, this thread talks up the Faulconer music a lot (which is weird and opposite to most DBZ communities but I like it, too) but the best DBZ music is from Kai. I wish they'd never found out about that guy plagiarizing.

That said, the true best Dragonball-related theme is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkdO0pIHGFM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Little Mac posted:

That said, the true best Dragonball-related theme is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkdO0pIHGFM
You could sneak that ED into most romance anime of that time and nobody would even notice.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Darko posted:

I always liked We Gotta Power, which no one ever talks about. Although my favorite Hironobu Kageyama is probably M.D. Geist's end song.

We Gotta Power is my favorite, too. I also really liked the Angels ending theme, because it made me super sad about Goku and Gohan.

But then I saw the entire Buu Saga, sooo...that changed a little.

Captain Quack
Feb 18, 2013

PiedPiper posted:

Was Goku the first protagonist in the history of manga who was dumb, ate a lot and secretly had great strength that stemmed from him caring for his friends? It's an archetype now, but it had to start somewhere.

More or less, the idiot protagonist was definitely new, the hungry thing kind existed before, but was always as one joke for that time the character had gone to a restaurant and then he ate a lot, but was never a characteristic of the character just a thing that happened, power of friendship was always one of the cornerstone of shonen manga.
Toriyama was able to put all this in a nice package that have been copied since then.

Blue Star posted:

Here's something I've been wondering about shonen manga/anime:

How long have "ki" attacks and energy attacks been a thing? Kamehamehas, Hadokens, whatever. I know that in Taoism and such, there are metaphysical beliefs about chi and prana and so on. But in terms of being depicted in comics, movies, video games, etc., how long has this been a trope? Because off the top of my head, I can't really think of anything before the 1980s. Supposedly the Hadoken from Street Fighter was inspired by the Kamehameha from Dragon Ball, but where did Toriyama get the idea?

The evolution of shonen manga was more or less like this:

60s: Is mostly based on real martial arts and sports like kick boxing, karate, etc...
70s: Continues the trend of being based on real stuff, but with addition of absurd/impossible stuff like "blind backflip jump triple kick technique", "he knows a secret technique that concentrate all his energie in a single punch that brakes all the bones of the opponent"
80s: is "kame hame ha-ta-ta-ta! You are already in another dimension."

EDIT:
Toriyama was a fan of Ultraman and he used energy attacks (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_CAZS8wiDY)

And aparently superman II was an influence to the Saiyan saga, and this happens in the movie:

Captain Quack fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Feb 22, 2015

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeE0Xgi4S2k

dragon boll

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i actually really like this

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Caros posted:

This was actually the later one. We got Rock the Dragon for the show's initial run through the Saiyan Saga I know that much for sure.

You can't drop that poo poo without bringing in the best DBZ dub. Saiya people and all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wG84efH4sw

I've got a couple of these movie dubs from chinatown on vcd when I was a gay teen. Pretty sure one of them was the cooler movie. I might have to dig em out because even then the dub was hillarious.

I remember watching the dubbed episodes on cartoon network in the uk, I stopped watching when they kept repeating the part when goku gets to namek. After that I pretty much forgot about dbz until kai came out lol, so i'm pretty much used to the japanese dub apart from krillin who is literaly luffy which always weirds me out.

track day bro! fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Feb 22, 2015

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Feel the mighty magic of those sacred balls.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
What is it about these dub openings and being completely sporadic and random about what footage to use? That Arabic opening was almost off putting since it actually had some coherency to it.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

I love the karaoke graphics with the Dragon Balls colliding in the middle of the screen and then exploding.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJcuDgVYjgI

The Japanese opening to GT is great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=up7D3OwyV08

Vic Mignogna even recorded an English version.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
GT sucked but I liked the soundtrack to it and I'm glad the Canadian Dub kept it intact.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Flytrap posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=up7D3OwyV08

Vic Mignogna even recorded an English version.

Is that Dragon Ball Heroes?

It's so funny to me that there was a group of people who went into a studio and made these ridiculous songs. They had notes and multiple takes and mixers and everything to sing a song about magic balls.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

New Leaf posted:

Is that Dragon Ball Heroes?

Nah, Ultimate Tenkaichi.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

What's with Budger Goku and Budget Shirtless Goku in that video?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

ImpAtom posted:

Aside from the Freeza Clan characters, the player avatars in Heroes are super generic and just small versions of existing characters with some different clothes.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MonsterEnvy posted:

If only just for stuff on par with Paragus

"Perished at the hands of my own son! Not that! Oh, why has destined conspired against me so tragically?!"

Ha. I kinda want somebody to redub the entire series with dialogue like that now.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

In Ultimate Tenkichi you had the ability to chose between three types of Goku you could customize with unlockable content.

Easily my favorite part of that game, as you could also progress to the point where you become a super saiyan and you picked masters that would unlock new moves for you.

The downside is that you only had one choice of gender and frankly a lovely as gently caress combat system.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Then there's this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0H9di7tCLVg

I will never not laugh at "catch ablaze like sandalwood."

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Is this the end of our beloved Goku? Find out next time on Dragon Ball Multiverse! (Freeza Defeated!)

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

I like how it at least incorporates the original leitmotif.

Also as I was re watching Dragonball it occurred to me that is has a lot of what would be called "orientalism" if it were done by a western studio. It's first season's visual style seems very consciously Chinese-influenced (also its musical themes and the gong at every eyecatch.) I'd say that's one of its strengths and it's sort of too bad that got shelved as the series continued.

Xibanya fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Feb 22, 2015

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Early Dragon Ball is based on Journey to the West. The only leftover of this by the time of Z is, as 18 puts it, Chi Chi still dressing like a chinese princess.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

WickedHate posted:

Early Dragon Ball is based on Journey to the West. The only leftover of this by the time of Z is, as 18 puts it, Chi Chi still dressing like a chinese princess.

I'm well aware, I still think it's a shame that the style became more generic over time.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Eh, they lose the Chinese mysticism, but Dragon Ball's style is still fairly unique and distinctive throughout. Especially in the Buu saga.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

HGH posted:

:stonk:
Listen to that link. It's... something.
I am seriously glad the version I caught just had Cha-La Head-Cha-La. This'd probably be more fitting for just regular DragonBall rather than Z but still.

Dragon Ball Zed Zed Zed Zed

The lyrics are so bad too:

my translation:

DBZZZZZ

The Nice San Gohan...

DBZZZZZ

Fight every Villains.

DBZZZZZ

He has all powers...

DBZZZZZ

Strenght and Knowledge.

DBZZZZ

His father was a hero, the great and courageous San Goku,
The world will soon know that his spirit is still with us.

DBZZZZZ

Our hero with a heart of gold will always win.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Kurtofan posted:

Dragon Ball Zed Zed Zed Zed

The lyrics are so bad too:

my translation:

DBZZZZZ

The Nice San Gohan...

DBZZZZZ

Fight every Villains.

DBZZZZZ

He has all powers...

DBZZZZZ

Strenght and Knowledge.

DBZZZZ

His father was a hero, the great and courageous San Goku,
The world will soon know that his spirit is still with us.

DBZZZZZ

Our hero with a heart of gold will always win.

So it's just calling Gohan the Hero weird.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

So it's just calling Gohan the Hero weird.

He kind of is up until Buu anyways

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I got a friend who I watched DBZ with as a kid with into DBZ:A today

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

bowmore posted:

I got a friend who I watched DBZ with as a kid with into DBZ:A today

That sounds like a fun, nostalgic time. Did you start on Season 2, when it really kicks off, or start him off in Season 1?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I showed him the latest episode to show him how good it is, and he thought they were the original voices for the first few minutes until he was like "woah"

He's gonna start from Season 1 because he loves goofy poo poo

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Woo, double post.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
Anyone know a way to download the DBZ:A episodes? I'm trying to collect them all since we'll likely never see a DVD release but after about episode 43 or so they changed their video player so now flash downloader extensions don't recognize it.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Esroc posted:

Anyone know a way to download the DBZ:A episodes? I'm trying to collect them all since we'll likely never see a DVD release but after about episode 43 or so they changed their video player so now flash downloader extensions don't recognize it.

http://tinyurl.com/ow8pk45

You're welcome.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
YouTube full season uploads, go to a YouTube download website, download each season.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
Awesome. I thought YouTube had ways of blocking that sort of thing. I guess I'm pretty dumb for not assuming there was an easy way around it.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

I watched the Xenoverse video on clothing styles and stats and such, and I'm really disappointed they have stats tied to them. I'll still likely go for style over substance, but still.. It's going to be like every MMO without a costume slot, everyone is going to be wearing the same outfit after a few months.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

New Leaf posted:

I watched the Xenoverse video on clothing styles and stats and such, and I'm really disappointed they have stats tied to them. I'll still likely go for style over substance, but still.. It's going to be like every MMO without a costume slot, everyone is going to be wearing the same outfit after a few months.

The stats are very negligent.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Onmi posted:

The stats are very negligent.

Then why do it at all

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Countblanc posted:

Then why do it at all

flavor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Countblanc posted:

Then why do it at all

fla-

Kild posted:

flavor?

Yeah, that basically. None of the stats are ever so significant to make NOT playing dress up worth while.

• Locked thread