Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuckstick Electric
Nov 25, 2012

RandallODim posted:

He can muster slightly more, at least, as seen in his cute pictures with Elektra at Deadpool's wedding.

Deadpool #27

Took me too long to realise that wasn't Hammerhead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I wish Dr. Strange dressed like that all the time. It would make New Avengers an even better book.

When he's in the Defenders, he can borrow a pair from Namor.

And I just realised that, of all the originals (Strange, Namor and Hulk), he's the only one who wears a full set of clothes.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Planetary #7, not-Constantine discovers that the government is about to kill a pregnant prostiute on Christmas Eve:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gorilla Salad posted:

When he's in the Defenders, he can borrow a pair from Namor.

And I just realised that, of all the originals (Strange, Namor and Hulk), he's the only one who wears a full set of clothes.

Silver Surfer was another early member with no clothes.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Strange has a real HEH HEH HEH BUENO vibe going on there...

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Skwirl posted:

Silver Surfer was another early member with no clothes.

Didn't they also have a woman who literally wore nothing but two clouds?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Gavok posted:

No, that's just who Strange spends Friday nights with when he tells Clea he's playing bridge with the boys.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Gavok posted:

Cloud wasn't technically female. Cloud was a homunculus remotely operated by a sapient stellar nebula. The homunculus looked female, but Cloud was able to replace it with a male homunculus if it wanted.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Made me think of DC's Birthday Girl, who costume is just strategically placed balloons.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Parahexavoctal posted:

Cloud wasn't technically female. Cloud was a homunculus remotely operated by a sapient stellar nebula. The homunculus looked female, but Cloud was able to replace it with a male homunculus if it wanted.

Yeah, totally a different thing.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Strange has a real HEH HEH HEH BUENO vibe going on there...

I don't see it.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Alhazred posted:

Planetary #7, not-Constantine discovers that the government is about to kill a pregnant prostiute on Christmas Eve:

Can we get a little more context here? I'm sure it's badass but without some setup it's a little vague in scale.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

McSpanky posted:

Can we get a little more context here? I'm sure it's badass but without some setup it's a little vague in scale.

The prostitute might be pregnant with the second coming of Christ, and Thatcher is PM.

Fuckstick Electric
Nov 25, 2012

David D. Davidson posted:

The prostitute might be pregnant with the second coming of Christ, and Thatcher is PM.

I think it's more of: is the civil servant a ghost? Is there relevance to Greek Street and why this civil servant is stuck inside the confines relating to that location? What's stopping this evil government from using a different civil servant for the job?

I really need to re-read Planetary...

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Fuckstick Electric posted:

I think it's more of: is the civil servant a ghost? Is there relevance to Greek Street and why this civil servant is stuck inside the confines relating to that location? What's stopping this evil government from using a different civil servant for the job?

I really need to re-read Planetary...

The next page is a flashback to modern day where the civil servant is now just a skeleton clutching the sign.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

David D. Davidson posted:

The next page is a flashback to modern day where the civil servant is now just a skeleton clutching the sign.
Yup.

Not Constantine seals him on the street corner and keeps the bloke from shifting planes and returning to the material world.

So basically it's a warning to not try that again. And its a warning that everyday people pass constantly. But it's right under their perception...

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

More Planetary:

Elijah Snow's been walking through the weird history prior to his interest. Dracula decides not to keep him alive. Snow flash-freezes Dracula.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

If you're gonna fight Elijah Snow, be sure to wear a cup:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I love this scene, but it bugs me. Greek Street doesn't have that kind of street sign, like most London streets, the signs are attached high up on walls.

EDIT: Jakita and Batman share a moment

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Feb 22, 2015

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Those loving batwing swords.
THOSE loving BATWING SWORDS

good god i cant breathe

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Remember every lovely crossover you have ever read?

Planetary/Batman: Night On Earth is NOT one of those crossovers.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
How is he blocking strikes from a woman who just twisted a metal pipe like it was made of aluminum foil

Actually you know what it's Batman I'm sorry for asking

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

AnonSpore posted:

How is he blocking strikes from a woman who just twisted a metal pipe like it was made of aluminum foil

sword play is not about power. batman has yeaaaaaars of training. she's just using strength (but i still accept "gently caress it its batman")

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

AnonSpore posted:

It's not just Batman, it's an imaginary Batman brought to life so that means you can double down on the crazy bullshit he can do.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
The dead man got caught halfway in a localized dimension shift where in one dimension he was already dead. The guy doing it can't control it so throughout the issue we see different incarnations of Batman including DKR Batman, whatever that first one is supposed to be, and this:

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Gorilla Salad posted:

Remember every lovely crossover you have ever read?

Planetary/Batman: Night On Earth is NOT one of those crossovers.

It's buried somewhere in the touching moments thread, but despite much of the issue being Ellis taking the piss out of Batman, it ends with probably my all-time favorite Batman moment. Batman's version of Superman's "You're stronger than you think. Trust me."

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
:glomp:

I love Planetary so much I bought it in single issues, trades, and every payday I have to forcibly stop myself from buying the Omnibus.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
If everyone is posting Planetary... (Is everyone reading the series right now? I started rereading it a few days ago myself.)

Planetary 16

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Huh, the Planetary omnibus is $50 on Amazon right now.

Welp.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Most of Mortal Kombat X #8 could be in this thread, but I had to cut it down a bit. The background is that after Shao Kahn died in the last game, the throne of Outworld was soon taken over by Kotal Kahn (no relation. "Kahn" appears to be more of a title than a name). He did this by dethroning Mileena, Shao's "rightful heir." Unlike Shao Kahn and all the other emperor characters in Mortal Kombat, Kotal Kahn is actually portrayed as more of a champion to the weak and is in fact a leader you can get behind, even if he is into drinking the blood of his enemies and eating their hearts.

He sent Goro to go hunt down Mileena and finish her off, but Goro instead betrayed Kotal, joined with Mileena's side and killed a bunch of Kotal's warriors, including Kotal's father. Now Kotal's out to get revenge, riding through the desert on a dinosaur alone. When Rain tries to blot out the sun with clouds and cut off Kotal's power, Kotal summons a beam of intense sunlight right into him, frying Rain to a crisp. He kills some of Goro's men with ease, then demands a piece of Goro.

And yes, Kotal Kahn has his very own Master Blaster on the payroll.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
A Mortal Kombat comic featuring Goro is the one place where DC's love of ripping off limbs comes off as completely appropriate and not out of place.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Nevvy Z posted:

I love Planetary so much I bought it in single issues, trades, and every payday I have to forcibly stop myself from buying the Omnibus.

ImpAtom posted:

Huh, the Planetary omnibus is $50 on Amazon right now.

Welp.

When you buy the Omnibus, the very first thing you should do is look under the dust jacket.

The cover of the book under the jacket is printed to look like one of Snow's old Planetary Guides.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Alhazred posted:

If you're gonna fight Elijah Snow, be sure to wear a cup:

Jakita seems to have picked up some habits from Snow:

Planetary 25

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

When you buy the Omnibus, the very first thing you should do is look under the dust jacket.

The cover of the book under the jacket is printed to look like one of Snow's old Planetary Guides.

Goddamnit now I have to buy it.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Man, john cassaday can loving draw.

I loved what he did on astonishing x-men, and just realized now it's the same guy. I feel like he has a really superb understanding of facial musculature.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Ignite Memories posted:

Man, john cassaday can loving draw.

I loved what he did on astonishing x-men, and just realized now it's the same guy.

And its all been downhill since.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Feb 23, 2015

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Gavok posted:

Most of Mortal Kombat X #8 could be in this thread, but I had to cut it down a bit. The background is that after Shao Kahn died in the last game, the throne of Outworld was soon taken over by Kotal Kahn (no relation. "Kahn" appears to be more of a title than a name). He did this by dethroning Mileena, Shao's "rightful heir." Unlike Shao Kahn and all the other emperor characters in Mortal Kombat, Kotal Kahn is actually portrayed as more of a champion to the weak and is in fact a leader you can get behind, even if he is into drinking the blood of his enemies and eating their hearts.

He sent Goro to go hunt down Mileena and finish her off, but Goro instead betrayed Kotal, joined with Mileena's side and killed a bunch of Kotal's warriors, including Kotal's father. Now Kotal's out to get revenge, riding through the desert on a dinosaur alone. When Rain tries to blot out the sun with clouds and cut off Kotal's power, Kotal summons a beam of intense sunlight right into him, frying Rain to a crisp. He kills some of Goro's men with ease, then demands a piece of Goro.

And yes, Kotal Kahn has his very own Master Blaster on the payroll.

...Goro didn't explain why he's serving Mileena, that was such a non-answer

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Now that you've pointed that out, I'm beginning to suspect that the character motivations in Mortal Kombat aren't all they're cracked up to be.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Dan Didio posted:

Now that you've pointed that out, I'm beginning to suspect that the character motivations in Mortal Kombat aren't all they're cracked up to be.

It's just weird that they'd specifically mention that and then not even try to have an answer that makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

AnonSpore posted:

...Goro didn't explain why he's serving Mileena, that was such a non-answer

It was explained in an earlier issue. Mileena told him that if he joined her side she'd help his race regain their past glory, which I guess means that the Shokan would be the top race in her empire. Plus when Goro was killing Kotal's father, he explained, "Your son sent the Prince of Shokan into the desert to hunt rats... I AM NO MAN'S RATCATCHER!"'

Even without that, the dialogue in the pages I posted makes it pretty clear Goro plans to kill Mileena instead of serve under her. That's even a plot point earlier in the issue where Reiko more or less tells her, "Goro's probably going to try and kill you. Let's let them kill each other and if either survives, I'll take care of it later."