Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Lakbay posted:

Definitely a minority opinion, but I've played all of them in release order and have felt each one was better than the one before it and I expect bloodborne to be the same for me.

I went Dks->Des->Dks2, but I like Des the best and Dks the least. Des has just an overall feel neither Dark Souls game has that makes it really good to me, and Dks2 manages to capture that somewhat better than Dks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007

Genocyber posted:

I went Dks->Des->Dks2, but I like Des the best and Dks the least. Des has just an overall feel neither Dark Souls game has that makes it really good to me, and Dks2 manages to capture that somewhat better than Dks.

The reason I appreciate DeS so much is how weird and creepy it feels. Dark Souls 1 gives me the feeling of being alone and isolated in a game world more than any other game, but DeS makes me feel just confused and creeped out in a good way. It's hard to describe... DaS2 just didn't grab me in either way as much, I think because it was kind of a combination of both. It definitely has its moments though.

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

What I meant to say is that I'd think whichever game you played first would have the most impact, just because you have no idea what to expect. So if you went into DS after DeS, you'd have some ideas about tricks the game was going to pull that a brand new player wouldn't, which could dull the impact, if it's not the type of game you're used to.

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
I bought DS1 in a Steam sale to see what all the fuss was about, but I read that I was going to have to mess with some things to get it to look or play right before I ever picked it up and it was discouraging enough for me to never actually install it. I really probably should before I drop $60 blind on Bloodborne though, shouldn't I?

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007

marauderthirty posted:

I bought DS1 in a Steam sale to see what all the fuss was about, but I read that I was going to have to mess with some things to get it to look or play right before I ever picked it up and it was discouraging enough for me to never actually install it. I really probably should before I drop $60 blind on Bloodborne though, shouldn't I?

It's honestly very easy to do, just putting a couple files in the directory and slightly modifying the config file to the settings you want. The PC thread should give you all you need to know: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3503028

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

marauderthirty posted:

You can play with out the fixes, but with them you have a higher fps that actually breaks the game alittle bit. Since you will always roll faster and finishing everything faster.

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Thanks for the tips! I'm also intimidated by the difficulty but don't like to admit it. :)

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Whats wrong with DS2? I missed it last time around and was planning on getting the ps4 release.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
DS2 is sweet, they made everything better. A PS4 release would be good because everyone is reset again, no people soul level super high. It doesn't matter before you collect 1 million souls cause you can't play with them(people with more than 1 million souls collected). The bad reason is Bloodborne is coming out before DS2 on the PS4.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Tenzarin posted:

DS2 is sweet, they made everything better. A PS4 release would be good because everyone is reset again, no people soul level super high. It doesn't matter before you collect 1 million souls cause you can't play with them(people with more than 1 million souls collected). The bad reason is Bloodborne is coming out before DS2 on the PS4.

I played the other games offline because gently caress people coming into my game to murder me.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Bombadilillo posted:

I played the other games offline because gently caress people coming into my game to murder me.

This is why it best to play these games right when they are released. People make characters run to get the items they want, could be hard to get for first time players. And they camp low soul levels, for pub tears. They fixed this in DS2 because its souls earned, game doesn't care if you don't use them. When you counter ticks over it boots you in the million plus range.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Bombadilillo posted:

Whats wrong with DS2? I missed it last time around and was planning on getting the ps4 release.

nothing. its the best multiplayer one by far. its just not as good as the first 2/3rds of dark souls or all of demon souls in terms of level design and attention to detail. the dlc is better than the main game though. just search "Something awful dark souls " to see this can of worms argued 1000 times already in the most asinine goonish way or watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UScsme8didI for some irish guy's sperg opinions about why ds2 isn't as fulfilling as prior entries.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Bombadilillo posted:

It's the sequel to a game that people hold in extremely high regard. It could never be good enough for a lot of people, and they're pretty vocal about their disappointment.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

I liked what someone said in the Bloodborne thread where DaS 2 is Metroid Prime 2 to DaS' MP1. Both amazing games, but DaS 2 has one or two things that aren't quite as good in my opinion. Still, no reason not to just play both, especially with the DaS 2 re-release. Also DeS is better than both (barely) :colbert:.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Who would think after playing rpg survival horror game after game, it stopped getting hard? FU From Software!

Demon's souls level design sucked so hard.

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007

King of Solomon posted:

It's the sequel to a game that people hold in extremely high regard. It could never be good enough for a lot of people, and they're pretty vocal about their disappointment.

Ya, as one of those people that didn't like it as much as the first, this is why. Like I mentioned above, DaS1 is probably my favorite game period, so DaS2 had almost no chance. It's very good though, and I still spent a lot of time in it, probably 150 hours, and I haven't even finished all the DLC yet. I'll probably buy it for PS4 as well, just not right away because of Bloodborne.

Also, it added some cool ideas like the bonfire ascetic. It really combines Demon's Souls and Dark Souls in a pretty great way, that's just quite a bit different from the first, and doesn't quite hit the same notes of either.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Tenzarin posted:

Demon's souls level design sucked so hard.

psssh

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

But what exactly changed, or wasnt as good? Level designs or mechanics?

Keep in mind that I didnt think DS was OMG BEST GAME EVER. I thought it was pretty good but with some big problems.

I want to decide if I should get this when it comes out or just wait a few month to price drop.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

watch the video i posted he goes through every change and why he doesn't like it. then pm genocyber and ask him to tell you why he thinks all of that is wrong. just please don't make the thread unreadable for 10 pages.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Bombadilillo posted:

But what exactly changed, or wasnt as good? Level designs or mechanics?

Keep in mind that I didnt think DS was OMG BEST GAME EVER. I thought it was pretty good but with some big problems.

I want to decide if I should get this when it comes out or just wait a few month to price drop.

There were a few mechanical changes, and they abandoned the interconnected world design for something closer to a hub with spokes, but honestly all of that is irrelevant. There's nothing wrong with Dark Souls 2, really; it's mostly just a matter of people having impossible expectations.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
There weren't enough fat fucks in DS2, or at least the parts I played. This makes it strictly inferior. Also I didn't know where all the easy to get overpowered poo poo was and it annoyed me. Then again, I deliberately played that game in a way I thought would be the most drawn out way because I wanted to explore stuff.

I still haven't beaten it though, and I guess I should just wait until the remake comes out now, rather than buy a bunch of DLC.

But I'd honestly guess your first game would be best anyhow. Afterwards, you always play it a bit too safe, a bit to controlled. You know what's coming, that the game is trying to gently caress you over and so you don't get the mad-feels you did the first time around. Such is life, the fire glows bright then fades into embers.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Dark souls 2 improvements

Covenants better thought out.
Better new game + system (you never have to start over and you can level up zones yourself)
Bonfire Teleportation from the start.
Respecs built in! (don't have to loving replay from nothing!)
Central town to the game.
Invaders can join covenants that give you a zone that people enter YOUR game! The rats let you set up traps in the zone for people! Change where you can go in the zone!
Death counter for all of dark souls 2 for the system built it!
Starting class matters less.
Tutorial area included.
PvP arenas(these were added to DS1 but as dlc)
Ability to turn off multiplayer with out unplugging your system(not recommended for the first time playthrough)
You can reset weapons, if you want to changes its affinity.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Feb 23, 2015

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

watch the video i posted he goes through every change and why he doesn't like it. then pm genocyber and ask him to tell you why he thinks all of that is wrong. just please don't make the thread unreadable for 10 pages.

Ok, that order sucks huh, and

bloodborne.

because.

Serious new topic though. Who played type-0 on psp, and should I get it just for a ff15 demo.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Probably the best thing dks2 does (well that the DLC does) is have really good NPC invaders.

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm not sure how I feel about FF15. I'm not even an old school fan, but I feel like there are plenty of action games around and was really turned off when I realized it wasn't turn based. Say what you will about 13, but I thought the combat system felt pretty satisfying.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

Genocyber posted:

Probably the best thing dks2 does (well that the DLC does) is have really good NPC invaders.

having NPC invaders almost behaving like people was loving confusing at first but pretty great after I realised someone had actually given them unique ai scripts

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I'm no griefer but DS2 had some very interesting PvP covenants and abilities. One was a spell that made you look like a friendly White Soul, and one covenant placed you in charge of a death maze that you could upgrade and lure other players into when they were in the area.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!

Tenzarin posted:

In your other hand is a lamp. That's why you can't use the rifle.

If Arnie can ride a harley and fire a rifle then this dude should be able to hold a lamp and shoot.

Ruddha
Jan 21, 2006

when you realize how cool and retarded everything is you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky

Bombadilillo posted:

you're not playing dark souls if people can't come into your game, only to be defeated by you.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Genocyber posted:

Dark Souls just has such a slow start compared to the others. I don't know what it is about the intro that's so hard to get in to, but it is. For me at least.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Bigsteve posted:

If Arnie can ride a harley and fire a rifle then this dude should be able to hold a lamp and shoot.

Tesla can develop crazy electrical rifles but not a light that can attach to a gun

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Tesla can develop crazy electrical rifles but not a light that can attach to a gun

Well, be fair. He was an electromagnets man, duct tape was kind of out of his field.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

CoD AW has made a good first impression (my first CoD since MW2) but man does the non-cutscene gameplay look like dog poo poo after playing The Order. It's closer to Metro Redux than a game made for PS4.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

For a game that is all about being cinematic, I'm finding the Orders combat really obnoxious a lot. It's not hard in any challenging way, but cheap deaths seem to loving abound. Also starting to really hate the traversal. They are so hung up on their stupid animations that I find myself constantly sticking to cover I don't want to or getting stuck on boxes. It's also full of weird sized cover that you can't fire past, and the games answer to this is to have him stick his gun in the air and make it so you can't fire.

Even in the action parts I feel like I have way less control of what's going on compared to a normal game. It's kind of starting to piss me off.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Feb 23, 2015

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I played a couple chapters of The Order and returned it to Redbox because I just wasn't having any fun with it and I didn't want to be charged for another night. The shooting was no fun, I didn't give a poo poo about any of the characters, there were too many cutscenes/QTEs, etc.

I'm just glad I found out what the game was like for $3 instead of $60. If I'd actually bought the game, that would've been a loving terrible case of buyer's remorse.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I got the game from Redbox too. I honestly don't know why I haven't returned it. I'm most of the way through now and I just want to see it through. I can't say I've thoroughly enjoyed much of it all. It's nice to look at and the shooting feels satisfyingly brutal when it works but that's about it. It's an unusually boring game.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Can anyone recommend a good place to buy PS Cash online? I need to buy some for my US account from Australia. The quicker the better as I want to get on the sweet deals they have going on atm.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

freeranger posted:

Can anyone recommend a good place to buy PS Cash online? I need to buy some for my US account from Australia. The quicker the better as I want to get on the sweet deals they have going on atm.

Most of the time people recommend Amazon, only you have to have a fake address to go along with your non-US credit card. I actually buy code cards on a local online auction site, maybe you have something similar?

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I've been playing Diablo 3 and it's very boring. I have literally fallen asleep twice now playing it because all it seems to require is to walk into a bunch of monsters and hold down X and occasionally hit some buttons for skills. I adjusted the difficulty to Hard, thinking that would help but it's made no real difference other than maybe requiring me to hold down X for a longer period of time.

I'm playing a Barbarian because I've always liked damage-dealing tanks. Is this the problem? Is it just a boring class? I'm level 17 right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

me your dad posted:

I've been playing Diablo 3 and it's very boring. I have literally fallen asleep twice now playing it because all it seems to require is to walk into a bunch of monsters and hold down X and occasionally hit some buttons for skills. I adjusted the difficulty to Hard, thinking that would help but it's made no real difference other than maybe requiring me to hold down X for a longer period of time.

I'm playing a Barbarian because I've always liked damage-dealing tanks. Is this the problem? Is it just a boring class? I'm level 17 right now.

I had this exact experience when it first came out on pc. gently caress that game. I've been curious about the feel of the controls but not enough to give them any more money.

• Locked thread