Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

ToastyPotato posted:

^^^
What? Did you watch the Iron Man movies? Because what Tony did with the suit and what his father seems to have made with the gas are two kind of extremely different things.

I am using Tony Stark because "like father, like son." :iiapa:

Daddy Stark is exactly like Tony Stark minus the redemption arc* started by his near-death experience / car battery heart. Otherwise he's literally the same dude. Tony invented a whole mess of poo poo that is evil. His company's legacy is built on the evilness of his father. Hell, the next time Tony appears on the big screen, he and his friends will be battling to save the world against his most recent "for the greater good" invention, which will (probably) get out of control only after Tony denies help from interested parties. He purposely gimps the US military by NOT sharing his tech. Imagine the alien invasion versus a bunch of military IM suits instead of cops and National Guard led by a useless Captain America. Tony Stark is as terrible a human being as his dad.

*however, Tony is doing a poor job redeeming himself

quote:

What he intended it to do was kind of irrelevant once he saw the results. After seeing the results he decided that only he should be allowed to stockpile it, instead of getting rid of the last remaining canisters. Next week is kind of the last chance for them to redeem him and explain what really went on, because right now he is looking kind of irredeemable. Even after his chat with Peggy, he didn't bother to tell her about what happened that day or the gas in general, making her think this was all about Cap's blood, and his inventions in general. He knew the whole time that there were canisters of dangerous gas in one of those crates and didn't think it was important to tell anyone, despite it possibly being the reason he withdrew his inventions and hid them away in the first place.

That bolded sentence applies to both Starks. The Starks are egotistical, rich, and seemingly invincible so of course they're going to do crazy poo poo. I'm not trying to defend Howard for being an rear end in a top hat- I just think you're thinking too hard about Howard's ulterior motives when it seems like an obvious Occam's razor situation. In fact, you said the answer already,

quote:

Uhhh, Stark had the only known remnants of the gas, which he kept for apparently no reason other than he thinks highly of himself.

Howard does think very highly of himself. So much that he decided he is above the law, above the authority of the US military, and obviously above other men of science. Howard is the guy who used a massive technology fair as a way to tell his son about a brand new element. An element necessary for sustainable, limitless energy. He decided to keep THAT a secret. Think about how hosed up you have to be as a person to deny that kind of technology in a world where nukes and other much worse things already exist (like Bruce and his reactor in DKR). Howard isn't sharing his technology for the same reason Tony isn't sharing his suits- no one is good enough except himself.

fount of knowledge posted:

What I'm saying is Howard Stark is a wizard.

This is my second theory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katreus
May 31, 2011

You and I both know this is silly, but this is the biggest women's sporting event in the world. Let's try to make the most of it, shall we?
He does call the inventions HIS BABIES. Bad babies, but still. That implies some level of attachment at the very least.

(Also, Howard's bad baby in a baby stroller. Visual puns!)

It almost seems like he's only interested in the challenge of that first prototype, but he's too flighty in a way to stay committed (whether that be with girls or with his products through the product cycle to iron out the kinks and mature it). He does at least recognize when he's created a prototype that is defective and highly dangerous. I feel like he thinks he will get back to it someday so he throws it into his vault (because he can't bear to destroy them) for now, but there's always some new idea, some new prototype that he feels compelled or interested by so he never goes back to fix his previous prototypes.

Maybe this is a long character arc moment for him, to learn some responsibility. He seems to only react dramatically when he's confronted with the problems he creates firsthand. His horrifying weapon used on Russian soldiers? Pull all his goodies away from the US military.

Confronted with people coming after him for his unstable prototypes? Maybe he'll learn to fix and finish them or at least not leave them lying around in his vault.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

old dog child posted:

I am using Tony Stark because "like father, like son." :iiapa:

Daddy Stark is exactly like Tony Stark minus the redemption arc* started by his near-death experience / car battery heart. Otherwise he's literally the same dude. Tony invented a whole mess of poo poo that is evil. His company's legacy is built on the evilness of his father. Hell, the next time Tony appears on the big screen, he and his friends will be battling to save the world against his most recent "for the greater good" invention, which will (probably) get out of control only after Tony denies help from interested parties. He purposely gimps the US military by NOT sharing his tech. Imagine the alien invasion versus a bunch of military IM suits instead of cops and National Guard led by a useless Captain America. Tony Stark is as terrible a human being as his dad.

*however, Tony is doing a poor job redeeming himself

That bolded sentence applies to both Starks. The Starks are egotistical, rich, and seemingly invincible so of course they're going to do crazy poo poo. I'm not trying to defend Howard for being an rear end in a top hat- I just think you're thinking too hard about Howard's ulterior motives when it seems like an obvious Occam's razor situation. In fact, you said the answer already,

Howard does think very highly of himself. So much that he decided he is above the law, above the authority of the US military, and obviously above other men of science. Howard is the guy who used a massive technology fair as a way to tell his son about a brand new element. An element necessary for sustainable, limitless energy. He decided to keep THAT a secret. Think about how hosed up you have to be as a person to deny that kind of technology in a world where nukes and other much worse things already exist (like Bruce and his reactor in DKR). Howard isn't sharing his technology for the same reason Tony isn't sharing his suits- no one is good enough except himself.

Well none of that really disagrees with what I said about Howard Stark being kind of villainous and sort of evil.

Though I do feel that Tony is significantly less evil (we'll see how Ultron plays out though.) I also imagine a lot of this will bite him in the rear end come Civil War.

To clarify, I view Howard as someone who invented terrible things, knew they were terrible, and then tried to take them back, but opted not to destroy them because they were his babies and he might be kind of crazy. Where as Tony made weapons, had a change of heart, and made Iron Man suits for himself, which he never intended to share or see weaponized by militaries. He's still hosed up for not sharing some of that tech (shouldn't we see tons of repulsor stuff and arc reactor references every where by now?) but I don't fault him for not giving the military IM suits. He was kind of proven right anyway, since the first thing they did when they took an IM suit was modify it with guns and poo poo. He also destroyed his suits in his last appearance, so we will have to wait and see his reasoning for the events behind AoU when it comes out.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
Does anyone have any thoughts that the end of this will be Stark denying the military access to his weapons. Leviathan steals them. Stark realizes that he needs to work with the military to keep America safe. He becomes a weapons manufacturer and basically reigns death on anyone and everyone and his bulging pockets keep him in it.

Only speculating because in Iron Man, it starts as Tony just being part of the family business (weapons manufacturing). Then Tony invents a weapon that's crazy powerful but decides to wield it to save lives unlike his father who destroyed them.

I can't see Howard being redeemed as a "good person". If anything he will get away with everything and just be a dick while Peggy hangs her head in shame but still feels she did the world a favor for stopping rage gas from being deployed in Times Square or wherever. Also he obviously gets away with everything because in the future he becomes a weapons manufacturer and has a son.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Windows 98 posted:

Does anyone have any thoughts that the end of this will be Stark denying the military access to his weapons. Leviathan steals them. Stark realizes that he needs to work with the military to keep America safe. He becomes a weapons manufacturer and basically reigns death on anyone and everyone and his bulging pockets keep him in it.

Only speculating because in Iron Man, it starts as Tony just being part of the family business (weapons manufacturing). Then Tony invents a weapon that's crazy powerful but decides to wield it to save lives unlike his father who destroyed them.

I can't see Howard being redeemed as a "good person". If anything he will get away with everything and just be a dick while Peggy hangs her head in shame but still feels she did the world a favor for stopping rage gas from being deployed in Times Square or wherever. Also he obviously gets away with everything because in the future he becomes a weapons manufacturer and has a son.

He already is one. They mentioned in Captain America they can not punish Howard since he supplies weapons to the military. He also helps to found Shield with Carter and Colonel Chester Phillips

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
God I love this show

Peggy Carter is such a badass.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Robot Hobo posted:

It's pretty common in those kinds of stories for the heroes to find themselves in some bizarre situation, and the crazy inventor guy suddenly shouts "Oh, I have a prototype that never worked for it's intended purpose, but it just may be what we need now!"

That's like 90% of Fringe

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I'm just curious, who played the Chief of the SSR, because all this time I could only think, "Man this guy looks like Bill Pullman, man whatever happened to Bill Pullman"

Also can someone gif his death scene, that was a pretty :black101: to go out

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

achillesforever6 posted:

I'm just curious, who played the Chief of the SSR, because all this time I could only think, "Man this guy looks like Bill Pullman, man whatever happened to Bill Pullman"

It was Nucky's brother in Boardwalk Empire.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
gently caress... I was really hoping for chief Dooley to survive. I don't know why, but I really liked him. Maybe its because they spent the last 2 episodes making him a bit more relatable or something?

Pretty much like everyone else, the guy started the season as an rear end in a top hat towards Peggy, but he had started to change a bit. Wasn't much of a change but it was definitely a start. I think they could have done a lot with this character in the long run.

achillesforever6 posted:

His name is Shea Whigham. He also plays on Boardwalk Empire (Good show) and is one of the major character. I recommend it if you like time period shows that deal with organized crime and corruption.

The Yellow Ant
Apr 6, 2004

I can lift 50 times my own weight in hope.
They had to get rid of Dooley so that Carter can become the new Chief.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

But isn't Thompson the designated next in command? And Carter is self-admittedly disloyal to the SSR?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

jng2058 posted:

But isn't Thompson the designated next in command? And Carter is self-admittedly disloyal to the SSR?

Pretty much everything she said turned out to be completely correct and true though, and even the other guys questioning her realized she was probably right and honest before poo poo even hit the fan.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Yeah I feel like after the recent events everyone at SSR should, and by the end of the finale will, view Carter as the most qualified and competent parson for the job.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Timett posted:

Yeah I feel like after the recent events everyone at SSR should, and by the end of the finale will, view Carter as the most qualified and competent parson for the job.
And that's why the politicians will give the job to Stark. They risk a serious political scandal when Stark is proven innocent, they need to do something to make him less angry and they are politicians in the 50s who will never give the job to a woman.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
John Flynn/Bradley Whitford is her boss by the time SHIELD formally starts up. Hopefully they were able to get him for a cameo.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

As illogical as it probably is, by, like, the 4th episode, I knew Dooley was gonna die, all because he wasn't the Chief in the One Shot, which takes place after this.

My brain said, "Everyone in the SSR, except Peggy, will end up dead, or moved to another agency, so the new guys who come in won't know anything, and will put her back where she started, giving us the One Shot.".

Yeah, my brain can come up with dumb reasons for things. But it was right that Dooley would die. :(

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Kheldarn posted:

As illogical as it probably is, by, like, the 4th episode, I knew Dooley was gonna die, all because he wasn't the Chief in the One Shot, which takes place after this.

My brain said, "Everyone in the SSR, except Peggy, will end up dead, or moved to another agency, so the new guys who come in won't know anything, and will put her back where she started, giving us the One Shot.".

Yeah, my brain can come up with dumb reasons for things. But it was right that Dooley would die. :(

The longer this show goes on, the less the one shot makes sense. Unless the next episode ends with the government burying the events the took place entirely, and Peggy going along with it, while continuing to work for the SSR, and starting from scratch with a new group of guys who happen to know absolutely nothing about what happened at the other branch, despite agents dying and bombs going off.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Have they officially ret conned the one shot yet or are they still hoping to tie it all together?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Xtanstic posted:

Have they officially ret conned the one shot yet or are they still hoping to tie it all together?

To my knowledge nobody working on the show has said it was retconned out? I guess we will know for sure next week, but I am having a hell of a time seeing how it can ever make sense at this point. I wouldn't mind it being retconned anyway, it is mostly redundant at this point.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Xtanstic posted:

The most recent interviews with the showrunners indicate that they haven't decided yet whether it's still canon. FWIW, one of them said she'd prefer for it not to be, given that it'd give them more creative freedom for S2.

ToastyPotato posted:

To my knowledge nobody working on the show has said it was retconned out? I guess we will know for sure next week, but I am having a hell of a time seeing how it can ever make sense at this point. I wouldn't mind it being retconned anyway, it is mostly redundant at this point.

We won't actually find out next week, because the foundation of SHIELD doesn't happen until sometime after the current series ends.

I dislike the idea of keeping it canon, though, simply due to the sub-Ghostbusters II "back to square one" contortions that would entail. So I hope that doesn't happen.

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Feb 20, 2015

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Barry Convex posted:

The most recent interviews with the showrunners indicate that they haven't decided yet whether it's still canon. FWIW, one of them said she'd prefer for it not to be, given that it'd give them more creative freedom for S2.

It really would be for the best. I mean, who wants the ending of a series to already exist before the drat thing is even made?

Katreus
May 31, 2011

You and I both know this is silly, but this is the biggest women's sporting event in the world. Let's try to make the most of it, shall we?
They said:

Tara - in theory the one shot is the end of the series. Id like to think of it as more of the inspiration for the series so that we have more freedom in later episodes if we are lucky enough to get a second season.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Katreus posted:

They said:

Tara - in theory the one shot is the end of the series. Id like to think of it as more of the inspiration for the series so that we have more freedom in later episodes if we are lucky enough to get a second season.

Given the direction the story has taken, I feel as though Tara may have won out. Which is for the best. Also the world needs more Jarvis. So really, for the best.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Kheldarn posted:

Hang down your head, Chief Dooley
Hang down your head and cry
Hang down your head, Chief Dooley
Poor boy, you're bound to die

Electromax
May 6, 2007
The one-shot and the series are really the perfect evolution of comics' retellings of the same basic story based on popularity. As long as she ends up at the same place, I would hope they don't make decisions detrimental to the flow of the show just so some essentially meaningless DVD extra isn't retconned. They should make decisions in service of the show's narrative now.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Electromax posted:

The one-shot and the series are really the perfect evolution of comics' retellings of the same basic story based on popularity. As long as she ends up at the same place, I would hope they don't make decisions detrimental to the flow of the show just so some essentially meaningless DVD extra isn't retconned. They should make decisions in service of the show's narrative now.

Didn't they have her working as a codebreaker in the short? I could see that as a future of this show. She's progressed to not serving coffee anymore, earned at least that much respect, but whoever her new bosses are still either don't want her in the field 'cause she's a weak girl and they have no personal experience to prove otherwise, or they don't want her in the field because her past is really shady and they aren't sure they trust her without, again, personal experience to prove otherwise.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
Actor changes non-withstanding, everything we've seen on screen (and in the tie-in comics) is in-continuity. They aren't going to retcon the short for such a weak reason.

She will end up at the point she did in the short, but there's a ton that could happen between now and then and even after it. If they do anything, it would be to move past the short and into the roll she played in SHIELD's formation.

She could easily be a code-breaker for 2-3 seasons, the SSR can go through another Chief or two until they get to Bradley Whitford, etc. Even once SHIELD officially starts up, Howard Stark's call at the end of the short could just kick off a season where he comes in and does a big reorganization.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
The short takes place "one year later" after Steve crashes the evil plane into the ocean.

I just don't see that timeline working out.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Timett posted:

The short takes place "one year later" after Steve crashes the evil plane into the ocean.

I just don't see that timeline working out.

Especially since the show already takes place in 1946.

Also, I wouldn't consider them retconning a dvd short barely any one saw in order to make a TV series a weak reason. That's probably one of the only reason's you'd do it, outside of a full blown movie.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Yeah, I'm all for keeping continuity, but maybe 1% of the general marvel audience saw that short. Pretty much all the creative team (of Carter and Marvel in general) have talked about the short as an inadvertent proof of concept for the show.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Hmmm:

http://www.superherohype.com/news/330891-a-new-daredevil-still-teases-absorbing-man-connection#/slide/1

Ignorant promotional material people, Crusher fighting Jack when he was real young or dumb plot hole?

They would have been filming around the same time last year. Seems like Brian Patrick Wade could have filmed SHIELD first, then possibly have done a cameo for Daredevil.

Of course he may not even appear in the show, probably just set dressing or an out of continuity promo image.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Narcissus1916 posted:

Yeah, I'm all for keeping continuity, but maybe 1% of the general marvel audience saw that short. Pretty much all the creative team (of Carter and Marvel in general) have talked about the short as an inadvertent proof of concept for the show.

I'm an avid MCU fan and haven't seen a single short because I keep seeing all the movies in theaters. V :) V

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.
I think I had seen one One Shot and didn't know there were more until this thread sent me looking for them tonight. I just watched all but the Carter one. Search their names and you'll find them all on dailymotion. It would be fun if they're in continuity but I'm sure it's a very small group that would notice and care if they're not.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Teek posted:

Hmmm:

http://www.superherohype.com/news/330891-a-new-daredevil-still-teases-absorbing-man-connection#/slide/1

Ignorant promotional material people, Crusher fighting Jack when he was real young or dumb plot hole?

In the comics, Matt is already in law school when his dad is killed and I imagine they'll go with that version of his origin.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Prediction for the Carter finale: they get a new boss, he calls the team in for a mission, tells Carter to go get them coffee. Thompson and Souza are 'Actually, New Chief, we'd like Carter on this one too'.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

MikeJF posted:

Prediction for the Carter finale: they get a new boss, he calls the team in for a mission, tells Carter to go get them coffee. Thompson and Souza are 'Actually, New Chief, we'd like Carter on this one too'.

I half expect a line with Carter asking Souza how he got injured, and him saying it looked like he was going to die if not for Captain America.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

bobkatt013 posted:

I half expect a line with Carter asking Souza how he got injured, and him saying it looked like he was going to die if not for Captain America.

Souza is time travelling cop from Avengers, big twist.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

MikeJF posted:

I predict the SSR pretty much falls apart and Stark offers to fund her and the surviving SSR members to join a new organization he's founding called "SHIELD."

In fact I would utterly be blown away if that's not the ending. It seems like the only way it could end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

bobkatt013 posted:

Didn't he say he got injured in the Pacific theater?

• Locked thread