Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
So with much, much more ram than the last system they made, and a tricore version of the same processor, they can't do the same games and maybe add a state capture? That's ridiculous.

People need stop coming up with ridiculous explanations for why Nintendo can't do it. There's one explanation: It's not a priority and not part of their current business or marketing strategy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Nintendo is run by ancient conservative men who were old before video games and the internet were concepts, who live in a country with corporate climates that heavily discourage independent thinking or going against one's superiors.

:ms:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
THATS RACIST!!!!!

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

greatn posted:

THATS RACIST!!!!!

Doesn't make it any less true.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

and yet they still make the best games

makes you think...

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Cake Attack posted:

and yet they still make the best games

makes you think...

It's hardly a perfect system. For every Bowser's Inside Story and Metroid Prime, you sometimes get Sticker Star and Other M.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Does Nintendo's refurbished shop restock on a consistent basis, like every month or every few months, or do I just have to keep checking back whenever until they suddenly have stock again?

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

What's the deal with all this n64 talk? Doesn't the Wii VC have almost every non-rare good N64 game? I played thru Mario 64 on it and had a great time.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Narcissus1916 posted:

What's the deal with all this n64 talk? Doesn't the Wii VC have almost every non-rare good N64 game? I played thru Mario 64 on it and had a great time.

It's all worthless without Mischief Makers and Mario Party 3 :colbert:.

FruitPunchSamurai
Oct 20, 2010

Narcissus1916 posted:

The problem is on the WIiU your only controller option is a Wii classic controller. And personally I don't feel like spending money on an old classic controller or busting out my old wii just to play them. Really though, I think most people are complaining because the WiiU virtual console is pretty sparse and releases come at a glacial pace.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

mario party 2 is better

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
It's a crime that Mischief Makers isn't on either VC. And especially weird given the vast selection of good stuff (including several Treasure games) on the Wii VC itself.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cake Attack posted:

mario party 2 is better

Sure, but having both would be nice, seeing as there's not a palm stigmata's chance of OG Mario Party turning up.

Neo Rasa posted:

It's a crime that Mischief Makers isn't on either VC. And especially weird given the vast selection of good stuff (including several Treasure games) on the Wii VC itself.

I'd actually love a 3DS remake rather than a VC release. With it's 2.5D design it'd look amazing :allears:. Especially the final boss fight.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It does have one of the three best games on the system, Ogre Battle 64

Mischief Makers and Harvest Moon 64 are regrettable losses

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

With Wii games they can do ISO dumps, and with NES/SNES/GBA their emulators are pretty solid. N64 games all need individual attention that Nintendo might not feel is worth the man-hours, and with many GC games they have to deal with the fact that the only Wii U compatible controller with analog triggers requires an incredibly scarce adapter.

So it seems like N64 and Gamecube are in the zone where Nintendo thinks they can make more money from developing and promoting the occasional remake they can sell in stores, than they can by creating VC versions that can only be sold on the eShop. I dunno how accurate that assessment is, but I'm almost expecting a 3DS remake of SM64 more than I'm expecting a VC release of the same game.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Supercar Gautier posted:

So it seems like N64 and Gamecube are in the zone where Nintendo thinks they can make more money from developing and promoting the occasional remake they can sell in stores, than they can by creating VC versions that can only be sold on the eShop. I dunno how accurate that assessment is, but I'm almost expecting a 3DS remake of SM64 more than I'm expecting a VC release of the same game.

But there was already a DS remake of 64, so I doubt we'll be seeing that happen.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Dr. Fetus posted:

But there was already a DS remake of 64, so I doubt we'll be seeing that happen.

that remake is older than many 3ds owners

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

A remake that is...ten years old now. drat. And yet still retails for MSRP in some outlets in the States! #Nintendo

Maybe on the next handheld we'll see another go at 64.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
On the next handheld, they'll probably be remaking GCN games. That'll be scary.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

There's already two Wii remakes on 3DS (DKCR and Xenoblade), so a Gamecube remake on 3DS is within the bounds of possibility.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Supercar Gautier posted:

There's already two Wii remakes on 3DS (DKCR and Xenoblade), so a Gamecube remake on 3DS is within the bounds of possibility.

To be fair, they made those Wii games look like absolute poo poo

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Ruggington posted:

Yeah. The graphical jump from the Gamecube to the Wii felt non-existent for a lot of games. At least to the point where it was barely noticeable.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Supercar Gautier posted:

Two words; Analogue Triggers.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
How many games actually made unique use of the Gamecube's triggers?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Two words; Analogue Triggers.

You're saying this to the person that specifically mentioned analog triggers a few posts back.

Some games used them extensively, some games didn't. They're the reason it would be problematic to make, say, F-Zero GX a VC release, but on the other hand they didn't get in the way of Wind Waker HD.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Supercar Gautier posted:

You're saying this to the person that specifically mentioned analog triggers a few posts back.

Some games used them extensively, some games didn't. They're the reason it would be problematic to make, say, F-Zero GX a VC release, but on the other hand they didn't get in the way of Wind Waker HD.

True. I'm also surprised Super Mario 64 hasn't gotten a 3DS remake though, or at least the DS version of it. That game'd be so pretty :allears:.

Though damned if I don't want F-Zero GX in 3D now...

Ruggington posted:

A lot of the blame on Xenoblade's port can be laid at the feet of the early stretched-out trailers. The newer previews have looked really good aside from a little blurring on the character models.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Though damned if I don't want F-Zero GX in 3D now...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IdT4notlqc

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Now imagine this but with those TAS F-Zero GX speedruns.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

TaurusOxford posted:

It's hardly a perfect system. For every Bowser's Inside Story and Metroid Prime, you sometimes get Sticker Star and Other M.
You're kind of leaving out the part where there were three good Metroid Prime games to one Other M, and 6 good Mario RPGs before Sticker Star.

The Born Approx. posted:

Just got to Torvus Bog in MP2, might just stop progressing and hang out here forever bc the music is so fuckin awesome
You might have more fun than actually playing Torvus Bog :v:

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Sunshine was so much better than 64 its unbelievable. Luckily the Wii U has a working gamecube inside it so you can play it!

Wait is this true? Can I play GC disks on my WiiU? because I'm flying back to Venezuela on my vacations and I got like 10 GC games over there.

Holy poo poo I think I still have Baten Kaitos. Are GC games region locked?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Wait is this true? Can I play GC disks on my WiiU?

No. If you install the Homebrew Menu to vWii, you can run Nintendont which will in turn boot Gamecube ISOs off external storage.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I do wonder why we did "skip" over GCN remakes. Is it because the games from the Wii are considered ports?

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

kirbysuperstar posted:

No. If you install the Homebrew Menu to vWii, you can run Nintendont which will in turn boot Gamecube ISOs off external storage.

Aw, got excited for a second.

I haven't installed the Hombrew and all that :filez: poo poo because I'm afraid my Smash machine will get bricked :(

Hugoon Chavez fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Feb 23, 2015

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Aw, got excited for a second.

I haven't installed the Hombrew and all that :filez: poo poo because I'm afraid my Smash machine will get bricked :(

or you could turn it into a machine that plays every smash brothers, including the fake one

Bean
Sep 9, 2001

Looper posted:

It does have one of the three best games on the system, Ogre Battle 64

Mischief Makers and Harvest Moon 64 are regrettable losses

To be fair, Harvest Moon didn't really work on the N64. Good luck emulating it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

noirstronaut posted:

I do wonder why we did "skip" over GCN remakes. Is it because the games from the Wii are considered ports?

The Wii was at a time that Nintendo tried going the whole "family machine" route, remember, and it played Gamecube games natively so it wasn't really A Thing outside of Metroid Prime. And even then it was probably only to help boost Corruption sales. So it's only really something of note now in the following console generation.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Bean posted:

To be fair, Harvest Moon didn't really work on the N64. Good luck emulating it.

Isn't it viewed as the best one in the series?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

noirstronaut posted:

Yeah DKCR and Xenoblade are just ports.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Wii was at a time that Nintendo tried going the whole "family machine" route, remember, and it played Gamecube games natively so it wasn't really A Thing outside of Metroid Prime. And even then it was probably only to help boost Corruption sales. So it's only really something of note now in the following console generation.
Well Metroid Prime was kind of ripe for a port/remake on the Wii since it's an FPS. There were also things like the New Play Control series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

noirstronaut posted:

Isn't it viewed as the best one in the series?

It's my favorite by far but on the other hand the days are like three minutes long

• Locked thread