Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Crotch Fruit posted:

I can completely agree there are a lot of times where conversing on a bike or answering a call are a bad idea, I just don't agree that having a button on he handlebars is less safe. Sure it's more convenient and possibly more distracting, but otherwise I think it is inherently safer to move your thumb instead of your whole arm, just have to be responsible.

Also I think it would be good for music since that might require more button presses, and more button presses seems like it would be safer with your hands on the handlebars.

I'm not saying it's less safe, just that it's not more safe or convenient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
If you run a newer Tomtom GPS you can have the phone paired to GPS, and tomtom to bluetooth headset, so you can even see who's calling you on the gps(with names too, since you can import the phone book) before you pick up the phone by voice command.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
FINALLY ordered some riding boots/shoes so I wasn't this guy anymore driving to and from work.

How do you guys usually handle that? Do you pack your shoes with you or just keep a pair at your office/destination?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

rotaryfun posted:

FINALLY ordered some riding boots/shoes so I wasn't this guy anymore driving to and from work.

How do you guys usually handle that? Do you pack your shoes with you or just keep a pair at your office/destination?

I don't have anywhere to leave my shoes and I can't fit them in my backpack. Often I either squid it up with leather non-riding boots or I wear my Icon El Bajo boots. I never wear a pair that doesn't cover my ankle.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
I usually leave them at work or just strap a bag on the tail.

Although I melted my bungee cords last week so I need to rethink it.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
While we're on the bluetooth discussion, is there a decent bluetooth set for just music? I have zero interest in being able to answer a call inside my helmet, but I'd like to be able to handlebar mount my phone and stream the audio inside of my headset for music and possibly navigation.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
I keep a pair of shoes at work. But I also have some shoes that pack really small if I have to bring some with me.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Alpinestars finally released a womens boot with lateral protection :swoon: maybe I can finally get rid of these loving sidis with a cathedral of space in the heel

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

rotaryfun posted:

Comfy boots and a desk job. :v:

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I just kept slippers at my old desk. Dress code was pretty casual.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

rockcity posted:

While we're on the bluetooth discussion, is there a decent bluetooth set for just music? I have zero interest in being able to answer a call inside my helmet, but I'd like to be able to handlebar mount my phone and stream the audio inside of my headset for music and possibly navigation.

I just run a Sena SMH-10. It's loud enough to be clear through earplugs while doing 80mph, and if you install the speakers/wired mic behind your helmet liner you can get everything looking clean enough that some people just assume your helmet was made that way.

e: IIRC Senas can connect to other brands if you want to talk to other riders VVV

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Feb 23, 2015

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Crayvex posted:

Because there is no magic "button" that you can reach from the grips that is going to have all the commands you need to control a Bluetooth communications system. At the very least you are going to need to look down to find those buttons. Taking your eyes off the road is more dangerous. On my Sena there is a volume control, play/pause, track up/track down, and answer button. Its all controlled via the jog dial which is stupid easy to use via feel. It's as easy to work as it is to work the visor on your helmet.

I used to have a handlebar mount control that worked wirelessly to control an older iPhone in my jacket pocket. I always had to look down to work it. There's a reason why all the good helmet comms system integrate the controls into the helmet. It just works better. I had the wireless remote for my helmet mounted GoPro on the handlebars. It wasn't convenient and I just ended up turning the camera on at the beginning of each ride rather than flicking it on before an interesting stretch of road.

Hell, does anyone even make a system that uses a PTT handle bar control that isn't a mess of wires?

Thank you for providing evidence from real experience.

For PTT, the only thing I have found is the uClear WT300 the handlebar part of it looks fairly simple and unobtrusive.

If handlebar controls are out, what would be a good, streamlined headset with good music quality, and the ability to connect to other brands?

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

Pope Mobile posted:

I just kept slippers at my old desk. Dress code was pretty casual.

This is awesome.

Guess I'll just leave a pair of wing tips at my desk and do the shoe game when I get here.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

I leave a pair of shoes at work and just change over when I get there.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
I've been riding for well over 2 years now with basically the same kit, so I'll post some of my opinions/comments (sorry about lack of pics, if y'all want I can post some in a bit):

Sidi Vertigo boots: Great for Texas! The fit is good, though I won't ride with them unless I can tuck something into them. I wear these almost every day and have crashed in them twice. No issues so far and I'm still wearing them. These are my only riding boot. Track use, commuting use, cold weather use, etc.

Dainese New Drake Air Pants: This is my favorite piece of gear. These fit incredibly well and are very comfortable on both my motard and the sportbike. Best $260 I've spent to date on gear. I use these down to about 55F comfortably. These tuck perfectly into my boots!

FirstGear HT Overpants: Very bulky but do work as waterproof and pretty warm as well. Their basically snow-mobile overpants.

Old super heavy Dainese leather jacket (non-perforated): Basically waterproof. Heavy as hell with a back protector. I believe invision had this before me as I bought it from a goon. Not good for warm weather.

A* Stunt Textile Jacket: Good overall textile jacket. Haven't really used it in a crash situation but it has lasted a good while. Picked mine up on sale at Cyclegear for $160, what a steal!

Shoei RF-1100: Super comfy, fits well, decent airflow.

AGV GP-Tech: I crashed in this helmet on the track (light side impact, but I won't ride the track in it again). The build quality was superb. Mine's the Rossi "wake up" replica.

Dainese Carbon Cover Gloves: Comfortable full gauntlet. I haven't been super impressed with these. The stitching starting coming apart after only a year of use (got them warrantied at CycleGear in Houston!) and my second pair disintegrated in my first lowside. I am happy to have my hands still, though!

Rev'It generic motocross Gloves: I wear these things all the time. Starting to finally come apart. I think I paid $40 for them.

A* GP-Tech Road: I got these on clearance and the size is just a bit tight. Tight for a winter glove means much reduced insulating properties. I can only wear these down to 45F without significant discomfort and they're pretty bulky.

That being said, I think I've been buying helmets a size too small. Noise is so bad I have to wear earplugs for a 6 mile blast down the highway. The shoei also moves a bit even after new / larger cheekpads. I think I want to try a helmet in the $200 price range. Quietness (and obviously fit) being a main feature for me, though I do the earbuds + SMH10 occasionally. I recall trying on the Bell RS-1 and liking it at 2 wheel toyz in Houston last time I was there. Any other suggestions?

Also, my fingers nearly froze off today on my ride home. 36F and raining in Houston. The Dainese jacket, firstgear pants, and sidi boots performed well. My helmet would not stop fogging (opening and closing the chin vent constantly to keep from freezing my face off / fogging to blindness). I was wearing the soft chin guard thing and the nose guard... And my hands, holy poo poo I thought I had frostbite.... I think I'm finally going to give up on my cold weather A* GP Tech Road gloves. They don't insulate for crap. From reading this thread, I think the hilarious Rukka Lobster gloves are my next winter glove purchase.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I've got two unrelated questions:

1) Does anyone have recommendations for a spray to waterproof a bike cover?

2) Has anyone gotten up close with the new Icon Raiden gear yet? Once again, it looks good, but I assume the quality is up in the air.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Deeters posted:

1) Does anyone have recommendations for a spray to waterproof a bike cover?

Spray waterproofing works best on solid surfaces. Even if you do manage to spray like sixteen coats on a cover, it'll all wear off soon due to the cover shifting around in the wind, etc. That stuff doesn't work very well on flexible objects. Just cough up for a dowco weatherall, it's worth it.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

M42 posted:

Spray waterproofing works best on solid surfaces. Even if you do manage to spray like sixteen coats on a cover, it'll all wear off soon due to the cover shifting around in the wind, etc. That stuff doesn't work very well on flexible objects. Just cough up for a dowco weatherall, it's worth it.

My cover is a Dowco (not sure what model). I'm pretty sure it was waterproof at some point because it's got the seal on the inside of the seams. Now it just gets damp and I was hoping to re-waterproof it.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

rotaryfun posted:

Topbox. But I stuff it with my backback and the backpack holds my boots, so that box isn't strictly necessary. :v: Also keeping a pair of shoes at work.

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007
For those of you who have Euro-style latches instead of d-rings in your helmet, how do you lock it to the bike if you don't carry it with you?

I have a license plate lock that's a variation of this, and there is nothing available to put through the metal bar when it locks. I could just drill a hole through the plastic of the latch, but I'm understandably not wild about this.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

tirinal posted:

For those of you who have Euro-style latches instead of d-rings in your helmet, how do you lock it to the bike if you don't carry it with you?

I have a license plate lock that's a variation of this, and there is nothing available to put through the metal bar when it locks. I could just drill a hole through the plastic of the latch, but I'm understandably not wild about this.

http://www.amazon.com/Onguard-Akita-Loop-Cable-Black/dp/B00AW7PD1W/

One of those through the eyeport, attach ends to the lock and leave the helmet on the seat or hanging somewhere?

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

tirinal posted:

My old helmet has a clip latch, and a single d-ring for just that. I find it strange that yours doesn't. Huh.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

tirinal posted:

What I used to do on my DRZ (with the exact same kind of lock) with an AFX helmet was just put the strap itself into the lock instead of hooking a d-ring onto it. It fit easily. Someone could easily cut the strap to steal it but you could say that about any helmet. Kept it secure enough for me. Depending on where the lock is located this might not work as it'd leave the helmet hanging out in mid-air.

E: Alternatively, buy a little piece of braided steel wire with a loop on either end. You can loop that through the visor and onto the lock probably. I know I've seen that work-around before for bikes with really tight under-seat locks.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I think I really want a Sena SMH10R because the control box is very small and streamlined. Yes, I have given up on the idea of handlebar controls. I believe it is mostly controlled by voice, does anyone here have experience with how well that works?

I am also highly tempted to get a license plate stash box to store my drugs registration, this is the first (reasonably priced) product I have found via google. Does anyone have this box or something similar?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Picked up a pair of the closeout Icon pants at Newenough MotorcycleGear, just arrived. Quick fit check and they're A-OK! I'll need to check the knee armor when I start riding again in the Spring, but it's nice to have something better than heavy jeans when out for a ride. Also picked up some Alpinestarts padded shorts to make up for the lack of hip/tailbone padding in pants, so they should go well together.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

Crotch Fruit posted:

I think I really want a Sena SMH10R because the control box is very small and streamlined. Yes, I have given up on the idea of handlebar controls. I believe it is mostly controlled by voice, does anyone here have experience with how well that works?

You don't want the 10R, it is is a two part system with a control interface and a battery box you have to mount somewhere (usually on the back of the helmet)

I've also heard that the R's button interface is much harder to use than the traditional clickwheel system.

It's very easy to use with gloves on the bike and always behaves like you expect it. There is also a computer app that will let you update the firmware and change settings like enabling voice answering.

The actual full voice control is only available on the 20S. Which you probably don't want because it's nearly twice as expensive, and it seems like they're still working some kinks out of it.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

kuffs posted:

You don't want the 10R, it is is a two part system with a control interface and a battery box you have to mount somewhere (usually on the back of the helmet)

I've also heard that the R's button interface is much harder to use than the traditional clickwheel system.

It's very easy to use with gloves on the bike and always behaves like you expect it. There is also a computer app that will let you update the firmware and change settings like enabling voice answering.

The actual full voice control is only available on the 20S. Which you probably don't want because it's nearly twice as expensive, and it seems like they're still working some kinks out of it.

Well, the helmet I am interested in, the Shark Evoline 3 ST is "sharktooth ready" and the shark brand blue tooth is an almost identical setup to the Sena, but it's made by interphone and only connects to other Shark units. But my point is the Shark helmet has a pouch in the back for the Sharktooth battery, and I believe the Sena's battery would fit just fine in the pouch.

I am concerned the buttons would be a more difficult control, but you say that is what you have heard and I would like to hear from someone who has experienced the 10R.

As for voice, I know the revzilla video said the 10R had some voice controls, and I am browsing the manual and it does indeed have some voice controls for things like answer phone calls. I have not finished reading the full manual but I assume it's probably not full voice control for everything. I respect your opinion, but I would still like to hear from someone with hands on experience with the 10R.

That said, I see the SMH5 has an FM radio, does the SMH10 have an FM radio? I'm not even sure I want an FM radio (I listen to XM) but it seems like a cool feature.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
This is where I 'heard' about the button vs clickwheel feelings: http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-intercoms/sena-smh10r/review.htm

The regular 10 does not have FM radio. I think it would be neat to be able to get local weather / traffic info on the road, but I wonder about the ease of tuning to a non-preset station. I don't have a unit to try with, though.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Chris Knight posted:

Picked up a pair of the closeout Icon pants at Newenough MotorcycleGear, just arrived. Quick fit check and they're A-OK! I'll need to check the knee armor when I start riding again in the Spring, but it's nice to have something better than heavy jeans when out for a ride. Also picked up some Alpinestarts padded shorts to make up for the lack of hip/tailbone padding in pants, so they should go well together.

I have these and to be honest I don't really care for them. They are bright as hell though so that's good. It feels like there's too much material. I've worn 2 pairs of pajama pants and jeans under it all at once when it got real cold and it still felt like too much. I wish the material from about knee and down was brought in a decent bit. He knee pads kinda dig in too, for me, even in highest spot(there's different pockets) so I gotta remember to pull it up just a tad on each knee before taking off. The pants do feel sturdy though and I bet they'd hold up pretty good in a crash.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Schroeder91 posted:

I have these and to be honest I don't really care for them. They are bright as hell though so that's good. It feels like there's too much material. I've worn 2 pairs of pajama pants and jeans under it all at once when it got real cold and it still felt like too much. I wish the material from about knee and down was brought in a decent bit. He knee pads kinda dig in too, for me, even in highest spot(there's different pockets) so I gotta remember to pull it up just a tad on each knee before taking off. The pants do feel sturdy though and I bet they'd hold up pretty good in a crash.

I have them too. They're very baggy, but otherwise I'm ok with them. I live in California, so my main complaint is that they're too hot in the Summer. The air intakes are on top of the thigh, so on my DRZ I don't get any wind through them. If you're on a sport bike you'll get better ventilation.

I did have a low speed lowside in them. Under 10 mph, but they didn't even scuff.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Chichevache posted:

I have them too. They're very baggy, but otherwise I'm ok with them. I live in California, so my main complaint is that they're too hot in the Summer. The air intakes are on top of the thigh, so on my DRZ I don't get any wind through them. If you're on a sport bike you'll get better ventilation.

I did have a low speed lowside in them. Under 10 mph, but they didn't even scuff.

I'm in Phoenix and haven't tried them in the summer, don't think I'll even try.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Schroeder91 posted:

I'm in Phoenix and haven't tried them in the summer, don't think I'll even try.

They're part mesh and they'd vent really well if your bike is a super aggressive ride. What are you on?

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

I wanted to give a brief comment on a couple of helmets that I recently purchased.

First is the Bell Bullitt

This helmet is really cool looking. Intended to be a modern take on retro helmets, it certainly falls back on its roots... a bit too hard on its roots. The overall thickness of foam shell is remarkably thin. Additionally the face guard is close enough that you can operate the chin vent with your chin itself. This made me uneasy and I can imagine my jaw shattering in any real frontal collision.

Speaking of vents, there is only one switchable vent, the chin vent. I couldn't tell most of the time which way was open or closed since there is a ton of air from the helmet riding very high in the neck, nearly flush with the bottom of my chin. In addition to the chin vent, there are four small round vents above the visor which provide adequate air. These are always open and have no switch or shutter.

Still I mostly like the helmet and find it comfortable in warmer weather except for two issues. The first problem I found was the visor would slightly rub against the helmet while opening or closing, causing a few small scratches which add up over time. After I noticed this I made sure there weren't any stray burrs or sand/dirt in the way, regardless more scratches kept appearing. Not sure if this was a design or production flaw. The second problem (and most fatal) I encountered was having the visor flip open from a full close while checking behind me. It seems that certain helmet positions can allow sufficient air under the chin area to push the visor up resulting in the wind catching everything and giving your head a nice jerk as the visor fully opens in less than a second.

I ended up sending the helmet back to Bell with a full letter explaining my problem, to which they sent me a brand new helmet within a week. Amazing customer service, but I still don't feel the need to go back from my replacement.

Next up is the Icon Airframe Ghost Carbon

Originally purchased as a replacement to the Bell helmet, I wanted something light, more protective, but not too flashy or sporty looking. It has a 3 position top vent, a 2 position chin vent, and two turn style cheek vents. With all the vents closed, it's pretty drat warm. I was out in 35F/2C weather last week and my head was far from being chilly.

Yes, the yellow visor is a little weird for the first hour of use, but doesn't stand out once you get past that. I actually really like it now.

I've owned a few HJC helmets, at least one Shoei RF1000 and some other helmet I can't recall at the moment. So far the Icon is the nicest, quietest, and most comfortable helmets I've worn. I'm super happy with the purchase and would certainly buy it again.

All said, if anyone is looking for a brand new, never been worn, Bullitt helmet, let me know.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Chichevache posted:

They're part mesh and they'd vent really well if your bike is a super aggressive ride. What are you on?

CBR500R. Last time I wore them I could feel the air on my thigh from the intake but that was about it. Figured I'd cook alive in the 110+

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
What are some good in-ear headphones? I never feel like using my Sena and headphones are super easy, but obviously I want something that prevents hearing damage and has better quality at speed.

Schroeder91 posted:

CBR500R. Last time I wore them I could feel the air on my thigh from the intake but that was about it. Figured I'd cook alive in the 110+

Yeah, you won't get any venting then either. :smith: Try wearing basketball shorts underneath. That helps.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Chichevache posted:

What are some good in-ear headphones? I never feel like using my Sena and headphones are super easy, but obviously I want something that prevents hearing damage and has better quality at speed.

Yeah, you won't get any venting then either. :smith: Try wearing basketball shorts underneath. That helps.

I'll give it a shot, but i just don't really like the pants because they're so baggy. I've been looking around at other pants that aren't over pants. I love riding in my jeans, I wish they were as protective.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Chichevache posted:

Ultimate ears or shure.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

builds character posted:

Ultimate ears or shure.

I'm trying to keep it under $200.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Can't recommend the vmoda vibes enough. Can be had for a song on eBay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Chichevache posted:

I'm trying to keep it under $200.

I think if you're a little patient you can probably get some nice ones on eBay for ~200. They're a lot better than anything else I've tried, but to be fair I'm no expert. I think all you really need is an earbud that makes a seal in your ear (or noise canceling, but I think those are still generally a larger form factor).