Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

The Superior Version comes out in a week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Babe Magnet posted:

The Superior Version comes out in a week

Of what do you speak?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

DW8:Empires

It actually comes out sooner if you plan on getting it on a console.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
How do weapons work in Empires? Can you make ultra badass pieces of gamebreaking revengeance to keep forever or do you have to buy new ones every time you start a campaign?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
No crafting. While many things are transferable/raisable via points earned from completing playthroughs, weapons aren't one of them. Mostly weapons are found or gifted. I believe if you raise a province's quality high enough you can buy good weapons, but I'm uncertain; this is partly from watching.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

victrix posted:

So SW4 was kind of, you know, over the top. Then I hit Shikoku :stare: The anime is powerful.

Try playing as Naotora. :v:

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Tae posted:

Meanwhile, Wu still gets killed a bunch by random ghosts
Sun Ce getting assassinated by a wizard was by far the best thing in DW7 :allears:

Brony Hunter posted:

Funnily enough, most of the SW cast still have the same basic attack strings and movesets than they have had all series, with a few bells and whistles added.
I really wish they'd revamp a lot of characters' basic attacks, because some of them are just awkward messes (Okuni is probably the worst offender, with No close behind).

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Lunethex posted:

How do weapons work in Empires? Can you make ultra badass pieces of gamebreaking revengeance to keep forever or do you have to buy new ones every time you start a campaign?

You buy new weapons each campaign, but weapons you bought in a campaign will stick around for Free Mode. Patch 1.03 or 1.04, I believe it was, introduced a Tales-game style system of using points earned a game to decide what you unlocked from previous campaigns is carried over into a new campaign--items, tactics, etc--but I don't know if weapons are part of that specifically. Japanese Patch 1.06 supposedly lets you put tactics and titles you unlocked onto edit characters in the edit menu instead of having to earn them character by character in campaigns.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them
Reports from people who have got DW8: Empires early are coming in...it's buggy as hell. Supposedly it's the same bugs that were fixed in an early patch for the Japanese version, which probably means the English game does NOT come with any of the patches yet.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Hooray! The baseless speculation I read suggested that we'd be three patches out of date, so who knows.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Good an excuse as any to bust out this picture.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
How kawaii.

I'm hoping Empires get STEAM saled in the summer.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

please don't post my custom characters itt

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Policenaut posted:

Good an excuse as any to bust out this picture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ju_vIanigYc

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzza6WcAQpk

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

"Oh, cute, someone made a Gracia edit, and---:stonk:"

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Supposedly one of the glitches in the English version of the game is male voices being replaced by female voices. Can't wait to hear it.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Morter posted:

Oh his reaction makes this even better.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Morter posted:

I really wish there was fanart of this glitch.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
It's going to be weird going from Hyrule Warriors' monthly patches back to "We asked the dev team and they told us to go gently caress ourselves."

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

The GIG posted:

It's going to be weird going from Hyrule Warriors' monthly patches back to "We asked the dev team and they told us to go gently caress ourselves."

Yeah after playing all the 'current' Koei games, it feels like HW was very positively impacted by Nintendo's involvement.

Is there anything remotely like Adventure Mode in the DW games?

There are legitimately tough challenges and a ton of unique map setups in HW, not to mention all the nice little touches scattered throughout the game, fan service and otherwise. Even the story mode isn't half bad (villain side too!)

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The funny thing was that originally they were going to try to make Hyrule Warriors more Zelda-like, before Miyamoto went "are you guys dumb? Just make Dynasty Warriors."

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Shigeru Miyamoto has all the right opinions about games

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Drakenel posted:

It's kind of funny to see koei slowwwwly start to reveal that Shu wasn't that great to begin with and Wei actually were being sort of progressive for the times.

You should play Kessen 3 where they have Oda Nobunaga, brutal warlord for Peace and Justice.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Agean90 posted:

You should play Kessen 3 where they have Oda Nobunaga, brutal warlord for Peace and Justice.

....go into detail about how this was pulled off?

I still remember Kessen II's Himiko. Warriors Orochi 3's Himiko is basically just a less-gaudy version of her, and I think it's hilarious. Japan's ancient queen, back when she was a goofy teenager with super magic powers. (Her shaman vest is pretty awesome though)

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Raku posted:

Shigeru Miyamoto has all the right opinions about games

Between that and the Bayonetta decisions they made, it seems that Nintendo is pretty good at stepping and telling developers to stop trying to be Nintendo and just be themselves

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Agean90 posted:

He's the very image of peace through superior firepower.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Speedball posted:

....go into detail about how this was pulled off?

He's sees how many people get screwed over by the constant fighting and vows to unite the land and put an end to it, even if it means ignoring the social order of things or burning down a few monasteries as those are preferable to more meaningless war.

he also has a castle that transforms into a giant robot and a musket that can pierce the heavens.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah but what happens in the game

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Agean90 posted:

He's sees how many people get screwed over by the constant fighting and vows to unite the land and put an end to it, even if it means ignoring the social order of things or burning down a few monasteries as those are preferable to more meaningless war.

he also has a castle that transforms into a giant robot and a musket that can pierce the heavens.

Huh, a lot closer to the real deal than I had imagined.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them
Kessen III does well at portraying Nobunaga as a modernist sick of the old ways of Japan getting in the way of progress. Seeing the power of European nations such as Portugal, the Netherlands and Spain, he decides the only way Japan will compete is if SOMEONE is willing to get their hands dirty and unify the land, dragging it kicking and screaming into the modern age. He does so with battleships the size of skyscrapers, a transforming mecha castle and a musket that can literally shoot away the clouds. He survives Mitsuhide's rebellion and unifies Japan, and in New Game + the last battle is him kicking Spain's rear end and solidifying his Japan as a global power, if I remember

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Policenaut posted:

Oh my word, Dragon Quest Heroes looks so good!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTXBxHMJAPg

Square-Enix, hurry up and announce this for overseas c'mon I need this.

A bit late, but I have to say that this is probably the best Toriyama's style has looked in a video game. I love Toriyama's style, and it looks so good here.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

victrix posted:

Yeah after playing all the 'current' Koei games, it feels like HW was very positively impacted by Nintendo's involvement.

Is there anything remotely like Adventure Mode in the DW games?

There are legitimately tough challenges and a ton of unique map setups in HW, not to mention all the nice little touches scattered throughout the game, fan service and otherwise. Even the story mode isn't half bad (villain side too!)

Damnit, stop trying to tempt me into buying a WiiU! I-I'm not a child! :qqsay:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

SirPhoebos posted:

Damnit, stop trying to tempt me into buying a WiiU! I-I'm not a child! :qqsay:

Not kidding when I say it has a crazy good lineup of games. But you can probably play HW for dozens or hundreds of hours.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
I was playing Ambition mode while watching someone stream Dawn of War 2 last night, and it struck me just how much I want a Warhammer 40k Warriors game. I'd gladly shell out $60 or more to rampage through an Imperial Guard garrison as a Warboss. :orks101:

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Hyrule Warriors and Samurai Warriors 4 are up there for best warriors games in my opinion.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I didn't like Samurai Warriors 4 as much but I'm not big on Hyper Attacks. (A lot of my complaints sound like they might have been adjusted in 4-2 but we'll see.)

Hyrule Warriors is just really well designed though. It's probably the overall more cohesive Warriors game.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Keeshhound posted:

I was playing Ambition mode while watching someone stream Dawn of War 2 last night, and it struck me just how much I want a Warhammer 40k Warriors game. I'd gladly shell out $60 or more to rampage through an Imperial Guard garrison as a Warboss. :orks101:

You know, that is another loving amazing setting these games should do but chances are we may never see.

I'd like to believe though, since there is like loads of 40k and Fantasy games coming out now.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Keeshhound posted:

This game sort of exists. It was called Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine and it sucked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Eh, It was okay.