Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

necrotic posted:

this game really needs pedestals. I hate sticking my artifact toy boats on the ground somewhere and forbidding them as a pretend pedestal.

I do this with woodland friend diplomat remains atop engraved walls in a 2 z-level high room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

necrotic posted:

this game really needs pedestals. I hate sticking my artifact toy boats on the ground somewhere and forbidding them as a pretend pedestal.

One of the many nice things in Masterwork is just this sort of thing (display constructions).

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Can someone explain the intricacies of setting up a hospital and the easiest way of setting up a quantum stockpile? For the hospital, I think it's as "easy" as appointing a Chief Medical Dwarf, then designating a room as the hospital zone and building traction benches, beds, tables, and bins in it to have everything run. As for the quantum stockpile, I think I did it right. I set up a 1x1 stockpile that was empty, changed its settings to what I wanted in the pile, designated the square as a garbage dump, then designated a bunch of nearby stuff for dumping. Currently, I've got a bunch of dwarves sitting around, not dumping the stuff, all with item dumping enabled, and none of the items forbidden. What am I missing in both of these situations?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

All those things like traction benches are neat but really, you just need some cloth and thread for bandaging/stitches, and splints and crutches for basic hospital setup. Appointing a chief medical dwarf is an option so you can see top-down health problems with some accuracy, it isn't required at all to have doctors stick bandaids on dudes. Read this:

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Health_care

As to why stuff is not being dumped, if it is outdoors, make sure you do o-r-o (orders -> refuse -> gather refuse from outside, by default it is set to ignore)

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Flesh Forge posted:

As to why stuff is not being dumped, if it is outdoors, make sure you do o-r-o (orders -> refuse -> gather refuse from outside, by default it is set to ignore)

Aha, that's what I was missing. And holy crap, there's apparently a metric rear end-load of bones outside my fortress that could've been carved up into crafts.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

You probably want to set o-f-cio (forbid corpses/items on death) to keep your dudes from rushing out to grab dead animals killed by invaders.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

If you can manage it, build a well near your hospital. You need to clean off all those wounds and running a bucket to the brook each time takes ages. Soap also kills germs, so put that tallow to its proper use.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

neogeo0823 posted:

Can someone explain the intricacies of setting up a hospital and the easiest way of setting up a quantum stockpile? For the hospital, I think it's as "easy" as appointing a Chief Medical Dwarf, then designating a room as the hospital zone and building traction benches, beds, tables, and bins in it to have everything run. As for the quantum stockpile, I think I did it right. I set up a 1x1 stockpile that was empty, changed its settings to what I wanted in the pile, designated the square as a garbage dump, then designated a bunch of nearby stuff for dumping. Currently, I've got a bunch of dwarves sitting around, not dumping the stuff, all with item dumping enabled, and none of the items forbidden. What am I missing in both of these situations?

The easiest way to set up quantum stockpiles is this:
  • Designate a 1-tile stockpile for whatever you want stored
  • Build a rail stop next to it which is set to dump onto that tile (and put a minecart on it)
  • Have the stop take from some other nearby stockpile which has the same settings as the quantum one
You can do it via dumping, but you'll have to manually unforbid the items afterwards.

Definitely should not do this with food or drinks unless you want dwarves pummeled to death by projectile kegs. Also a link for a more detailed explanation http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/v0.34:Exploit#The_Minecart_Stop

Syenite fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Feb 23, 2015

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

neogeo0823 posted:

The hospital is basically that simple. As long as you have a chest or some similar container in the zone dwarves should automatically store items in there. Try and have a nearby well for wound cleaning and patient feeding.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

scamtank posted:

If you can manage it, build a well near your hospital. You need to clean off all those wounds and running a bucket to the brook each time takes ages. Soap also kills germs, so put that tallow to its proper use.

What's the best way to get a well underground? I have a river running through my site, but if I dig out a tunnel to let some water flow down a few levels to my hospital, won't it overflow and flood my base? Or will the well stop that?

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

neogeo0823 posted:

What's the best way to get a well underground? I have a river running through my site, but if I dig out a tunnel to let some water flow down a few levels to my hospital, won't it overflow and flood my base? Or will the well stop that?
Floodgates and excitement!

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

awesmoe posted:

Floodgates and excitement!

So... Floodgate at the edge of the river, opens to a tunnel that fills a cistern, from which the well draws?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I use a food quantum stockpile and it's fine for the most part. I have the square itself designated forbidden so no one hangs out on it and yeah someone occasionally gets bopped on the head with some plump helmets but 99% of the time if the clothes don't negate all damage the worst that happens is a bruise.

I also have the food production above the dining hall so the food gets dropped a level.

Sometimes someone gets unlucky and gets a shattered bone or four but hey that's why there's a hospital. Deaths are very rare, maybe once a decade if that. A lot of dead cats since they seem to ignore traffic designations.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Feb 23, 2015

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

neogeo0823 posted:

So... Floodgate at the edge of the river, opens to a tunnel that fills a cistern, from which the well draws?
Yup, that's how I did it. I'm sure there are advanced ways to do it that are better, and don't leave you proper-hosed if a marine building destroyer appears, but it works fine in my experience (assuming you make sure you have plenty of idle lever-pullers when the cistern is nearly full)

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

It is crucial that you have some understanding of how fluids and pressure work in DF:

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Pressure

Also,
HOLY loving poo poo PLAYABLE HIVE WASP RACE COMING UP FOR MASTERWORK

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

neogeo0823 posted:

This does work. For a simpler solution, you can also just run the channel to the cistern through a diagonal. Water loses pressure when passing through diagonals.

E: Oh yeah and add a vertical grate somewhere to keep poo poo out.

Solid Poopsnake fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Feb 23, 2015

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Flesh Forge posted:

It is crucial that you have some understanding of how fluids and pressure work in DF:

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Pressure
yeah its crucial if you're a pussy who's afraid of a little water

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

neogeo0823 posted:

For safety I always use two floodgates on separate levers. One near the river and one right before the cistern. That way if one floodgate malfunctions or destroyed by swimming building destroyer you have a failsafe. Open the first gate, let the passage fill with water. Close the first gate and open the second gate, so the water from the passage flows into the cistern. Repeat if necessary. When the cistern is full close both floodgates.

I don't remember when I started doing it that way, but I imagine it involved a catastrophic flood.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

awesmoe posted:

Yup, that's how I did it. I'm sure there are advanced ways to do it that are better, and don't leave you proper-hosed if a marine building destroyer appears, but it works fine in my experience (assuming you make sure you have plenty of idle lever-pullers when the cistern is nearly full)

Pump house with floor grates and rooftop windmills that drains into a sealed up/down stair next to the river to the cistern. I think it would take a flying building destroyer to get in through shattering the windmills but I haven't seen it happen yet (still expecting it someday.)

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Once you conquered mother nature and perfected the art of floodgates and grates, as well as locked doors and floor hatches, nothing can hold you back.

My favourite atm are massive underground farm plots with large water systems above them. Flood a large cistern above the farm plot, seal it up again and then open the floodhatch. After a bit the water is dried away and you have a fallback cistern on top that is empty and a lot of farmplot.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I was pretty lucky that my hospital was on the ground z level, so I didn't have to worry about pressure at all since the water source was on the same z level as the cistern.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Man Whore posted:

the Elven influence in this thread is sickening.

I know I'm degenerate scum just for saying this, but dorf fort elves are honestly kind of badass. They're governed by a divinely-appointed caste of warrior-princesses and exist in a state of near-permanent holy war with basically every other race; they'll charge into battle practically naked and happily endure horrific casualty ratios just to defend a stand of trees. And then they'll eat the bodies.

That's pretty loving metal.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

the only acceptable elf is Cacame Awemedinade, elf-king of the dwarves :colbert:

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Flesh Forge posted:

One of the many nice things in Masterwork is just this sort of thing (display constructions).

So it does! Time to steal those raws!

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

honestly this is kinda coming out of left field but it's not all that surprising for masterwork

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

honestly this is kinda coming out of left field but it's not all that surprising for masterwork

They sound OP as gently caress until you remember you can just hammer them once and they probably die.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

Hey, good news. DFHack innards got rearranged in such a way that the plugins and scripts are no longer compiled into a certain specific version number anymore. That check is now stored in its own library.

If the game changes from underneath the plugins, poo poo still breaks, but the modules themselves should be version-neutral now. Should be a load off the plugin coders when Toady gets back on the update blitz wagon again.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

So, I've got elves that I'm trading with, and I've got a couple barrels full of food that I wanna sell to them. I know I can't offer the barrels themselves, since they'll get all prissy about it and throw a fit, so how do I designate just the food itself? Unlike with a bin, the food in the barrel isn't listed separately on the trade screen.

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

Autonomous Monster posted:

I know I'm degenerate scum just for saying this, but dorf fort elves are honestly kind of badass. They're governed by a divinely-appointed caste of warrior-princesses and exist in a state of near-permanent holy war with basically every other race; they'll charge into battle practically naked and happily endure horrific casualty ratios just to defend a stand of trees. And then they'll eat the bodies.

That's pretty loving metal.

Well, in a world where things like Boatmurdered can happen, that's relatively tame.

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal

neogeo0823 posted:

So, I've got elves that I'm trading with, and I've got a couple barrels full of food that I wanna sell to them. I know I can't offer the barrels themselves, since they'll get all prissy about it and throw a fit, so how do I designate just the food itself? Unlike with a bin, the food in the barrel isn't listed separately on the trade screen.

Is there a way to manually transfer the food to rock pots before taking them to the depot?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Dump the contents, reclaim the grub from the trash while the game is paused, designate everything for trade before the haulers get any ideas. Ungraceful, I grant you, but it works.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

mr. why posted:

Is there a way to manually transfer the food to rock pots before taking them to the depot?

I really should start making more rock pots. I've got a shortage of wood(loving loafs won't go haul it back to the stockpile fast enough. :argh:) and a huge surplus of rock from digging out a ton of housing recently.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
I've got a vampire mayor and every notable person in my civ is a goblin. Also I haven't had any ambushers or sieges in the first 2.5 years despite a large population and an out of control fortress value.

I'm thinking I'll retire this fort and build a scarier one.

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal

neogeo0823 posted:

I really should start making more rock pots. I've got a shortage of wood(loving loafs won't go haul it back to the stockpile fast enough. :argh:) and a huge surplus of rock from digging out a ton of housing recently.

Hmm, I wonder if rock pots are subject to barrel restrictions. In other words, if you limit the barrels at a food stockpile, does that also affect rock pots? I can't find any information about it anywhere.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Yeah, it does. Barrels and large pots are one and the same as far as stockpile logic goes.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
do dead goblins go into corpse or refuse stockpiles? Also what labor determines goblin corpse hauling? I'm starting to get miasma in my fort from dead goblins rotting and I need to get them dumped asap.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

do dead goblins go into corpse or refuse stockpiles? Also what labor determines goblin corpse hauling? I'm starting to get miasma in my fort from dead goblins rotting and I need to get them dumped asap.

Refuse. Corpse stockpiles are only for dead dwarves and pets.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Oh, then that makes catacombs a lot easier to manage if I don't have to worry about goblins getting in. I'm really worried about that miasma since half of my dwarves are suffering emotional trauma since the siege from either seeing goblins get butchered or losing loved ones in the defense. I've upped my cooks to lavish meals and I've diversified my booze productions, plus I made my dining hall legendary, so hopefully that will stave off tantrums till I can get the miasma cleared and bedrooms upgraded.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Man, I never realized how insane my food and drink surplus was. I really should slow down my food production so I'm not wasting so much carpentry on barrels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

Man, I never realized how insane my food and drink surplus was. I really should slow down my food production so I'm not wasting so much carpentry on barrels.

The "hard" part is managing the farming. Workflow can keep you from brewing too much, but won't control actual farm plots :-/