Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Okay so I'm going through Legend mode right now and I'm getting absolutely everything right now and it's a bit of a slog replaying a stage one or two times after I'm done. So I was wondering should I just skip that stuff now and simply complete the missions now? Or should I just get stuff like heart pieces and skulltulas? Maybe come back when I'm powered up or something to make the missions go by faster? Cause I just wanna get to the meat of the game (adventure maps really) and also to mess around with making op weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Skulltulas yes, heart containers no. The Skulltulas unlock bonus maps that are good places to gain resources and experience, but the heart containers aren't super helpful for various reasons.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

FauxGateau posted:

Okay so I'm going through Legend mode right now and I'm getting absolutely everything right now and it's a bit of a slog replaying a stage one or two times after I'm done. So I was wondering should I just skip that stuff now and simply complete the missions now? Or should I just get stuff like heart pieces and skulltulas? Maybe come back when I'm powered up or something to make the missions go by faster? Cause I just wanna get to the meat of the game (adventure maps really) and also to mess around with making op weapons.

You can definitely skip things for now. Heart pieces and skulltulas aren't nearly as important as weapons.

E: there's only one bonus map that's useful, and you really don't need it. It's for grinding, and you won't need to grind for a long time.

Bicyclops fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Feb 23, 2015

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

do the adventure maps as much as you can.

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013

mabels big day posted:

do the adventure maps as much as you can.

mabels big day, there's something I've wanted to ask you for a long time. I see you post in a lot of the same threads I post in. How did your avatar come to be? I know it is a haunter, but how'd you do the 3D Spin effect? Did you just make it in photoshop? Either way, every time I see it, I think how cool it is. It reminds me of a ghost Pokemon that hasn't been Silph Scoped yet. Just had to ask.

Also, I haven't had the chance to try the max rupee glitch myself yet. If/when I can, I'll report back with any findings.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Ah! Just got the glitch myself on the map ShadowNinja has been using . Data below (mostly irrelevant, I'm sure) for the curious.

Lana - Gate of Souls - 7 slots - Lv. 156
-EXP+
-Strength V
-Regular Attack+
-Rupees+
-Strong Attack+
-Strength III
-Legendary

Was playing with the WiiU Classic Controller Pro while using Gamepad only for the screen.

Ran to the right at the start of the mission and switched to the bow along the way. Got to Gohma before it got to the upper right square on the map (so slightly to the left). Did NOT break the WPG the first time it came out because I messed up, but the rest was the same (powered up Argorok). I saw the rupee count go up when I was heading to the right to break a pot and check.

Edit: just got it a second time, four or five times after. This time I did the weak point smash once and then killed it before the second wps came out.

mastajake fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Feb 23, 2015

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I went back to Ruto's level 3 mission to get the Skulltula and stomped a hole through it. Poes were falling like rain. It was tremendously cathartic.

My level wasn't even that much higher. Amazing what a few stars on a Level 3 weapon can do to make things easier.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Spectacle Rock posted:

mabels big day, there's something I've wanted to ask you for a long time. I see you post in a lot of the same threads I post in. How did your avatar come to be? I know it is a haunter, but how'd you do the 3D Spin effect? Did you just make it in photoshop? Either way, every time I see it, I think how cool it is. It reminds me of a ghost Pokemon that hasn't been Silph Scoped yet. Just had to ask.

Also, I haven't had the chance to try the max rupee glitch myself yet. If/when I can, I'll report back with any findings.

I got it in the imp zone av thread http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3676082

edit: nevermind, I guess it's not from that specific thread. but it was in a thread like that. someone on tumblr made it.

something something on topic Lana is fun to play

mabels big day fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Feb 23, 2015

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Link's Spinner is an amazingly cool weapon. How did they pull that off :psyduck:

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Bicyclops posted:

E: there's only one bonus map that's useful, and you really don't need it. It's for grinding, and you won't need to grind for a long time.

Actually that level is really easy to finish at low levels and gives you high level weapons as a reward. So ideally you should replay that level a few times until you get a 5* version of your characters highest level weapon, then go hunting out the next level of weapon and repeat.

You'll also end up leveling the character considerably too making the acquisition of the next level of weapon easier.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So after doing I don't know how many network Links I think I made a terrible mistake about them. I thought that the weapon you recieve as a reward was affected by potions you use, so I was doing those missions with slot 3 potions to try and get desired perfect weapons. However I've noticed that every single reward I've gotten lately has had exactly 6 slots. Seems like the reward from network Links is always predetermined so trying to get perfect weapons from them is futile. Its probably for the best, since now I won't be mad at Network Links constantly spawning with Agitha parasols instead of weapons I care about.

Though now that I've finished the Termina map, I'm running out of stuff to do. I have some items left to unlock that might pose a challenge but I don't see much point in grinding for a fantastic weapon when I probably won't even have many missions to use it on now.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

victrix posted:

Link's Spinner is an amazingly cool weapon. How did they pull that off :psyduck:

Experience. This is the same company that's created 50+ unique movesets for Dynasty Warriors, 30+ for Samurai warriors, and one could go on. This is nothing to them, especially given a free hand in terms of what they can do.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Feb 23, 2015

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

I captured a video of the glitch happening, it's at 10% uploading to Youtube at the moment but it's gonna take awhile probably. Also my laptop is poo poo so it'll probably be stuttery and have audio desync.

This guy got it while streaming, though: http://www.hitbox.tv/video/428887

Edit: The Reddit thread on the glitch has most/all of the info we know compiled nicely in the OP: http://www.reddit.com/r/HyruleWarriors/comments/2wtnjw/max_rupee_glitch/

Edit 2: Here's my video. The successful attempt starts at 5:21: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrB5C96A6rk

Shadow Ninja 64 fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Feb 23, 2015

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Bloodly posted:

Experience. This is the same company that's created 50+ unique movesets for Dynasty Warriors, 30+ for Samurai warriors, and one could go on. This is nothing to them, especially given a free hand in terms of what they can do.

Conversely I don't think I'm ever using Epona again

NEIGH NEIGH NEIGH NEIGH NEIGH NEIGH

holy poo poo annoying

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Kin posted:

Actually that level is really easy to finish at low levels and gives you high level weapons as a reward. So ideally you should replay that level a few times until you get a 5* version of your characters highest level weapon, then go hunting out the next level of weapon and repeat.

You'll also end up leveling the character considerably too making the acquisition of the next level of weapon easier.

That's grinding! You really, really don't need to do it until you're at like the last 5 weapons of the basic adventure map. You pick up weapons as you use those characters to clear the map (or, if you have amiibos, through your daily taps).

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Internet Kraken posted:

Though now that I've finished the Termina map, I'm running out of stuff to do.

:stare: Congratulations.

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Edit 2: Here's my video. The successful attempt starts at 5:21: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrB5C96A6rk

Thanks for the video; great stuff. Don't diss your laptop and capture equipment; that quality is good! Much better than the "potato" most people use. Seeing it in action really helped. Hurray!

Also mastajake, thanks for your data. All data is important :)

Here's a good piece of information from Reddit:

"Reddit Guy" posted:

OK! I've figured out something really interesting! In my previous post I said I gained ~350 rupees instead of the full amount. Well, after several attempts I kept getting the 345 rupee gain, sometimes even a 485 rupee gain, and a few times a 100 rupee loss. I believe this is the glitch we're looking for. Looking at the videos every character has less than 100 rupees when they activate the glitch, the game can't recognize a negative number so instead it thinks it's a really large positive number, hence the 10 million rupees. I'm still not sure what triggers the rupee changes but weirdly enough the 100 rupee loss happened after I picked up a magic jar and used the focus attack on Gohma.

So, this could be exactly what makes it happen. If what this guy says is true, something in this process of events makes the player LOSE 100 rupees. However, the game doesn't understand "negative numbers." To programmers, the integer count is probably an unsigned integer. So, when you try to count below zero, you get a LARGE number.

So, as far as a computer is concerned, numbers work like this

... ,999999998 ,999999999, 0, 1, 2, 3, ...

This is similar to why old video games might crash if you beat the 255th level such as PacMan. The value of the level is only one byte, so the game begins at level 1 (or zero),
0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, ... , 253, 254, 255, 0, 1, 2, ...

The numbers wrap around.

A player has less than 100 rupees and then something tells the rupee counter "HEY YOU! GO BACK 100 spaces!" and then we get that large number.

... ,999999998 ,999999999, 0, 1, 2, 3, ...

If we have fewer than 100 rupees and then walk backwards 100 spaces in my above number line, you'll get a LARGE number. It is very possible the large number is way way above 999999999 and the game might just perform a sanity/cap of "999999999." But the idea is still the same.

I simplified some of the process, but this is super plausible. Something sends the rupee counter back by 100 *and* it doesn't check to make sure it doesn't fall below zero. That would make this happen and is awesome.

So in short, it appears you must keep your rupee count under 100 rupees as you are in the process of killing Ghoma.

I think we're cracking it folks :)

Spectacle Rock fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Feb 23, 2015

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

No video for this one since I was listening to stuff while playing, but here's my eighth success, this time with the Spinner because I needed variety: https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAADVHi2YVIiZw

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Are there any other maps that might work for this? Because I have no progress on the Twilight Map, since I'm still trying to clear out the first Adventure map

Nevermind, I see they say the mission doesn't matter.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Another video of another success, my ninth time getting the glitch to trigger, and my second time using the Spinner to do it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCDLCZbYuGY

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
Newcomer here. Any advice on A-Ranking the mission for Zelda's level 2 baton? (Not so much for the baton, as for the Great Fairy weapon hiding in the bottom-left of the map.) I'm not that great with Zelda, but this is definitely giving me some practice.

My strategy so far has been beelining for Volga, then going for Wizzro (since he's right in front of the keep at that point), then heading for Ghirahim. I'm thinking of trying the "Guard Break" mix for this mission just to kill everything quicker. (I also crafted the "reduced damage on lightning element stages" badge).

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

If time is your main issue, you should know that the quickest way to kill Volga is to relentlessly attack him with your weak combo over and over until he blocks a couple hits and tries his sorta fast jumping downstab into the ground. That exposes his weak point gauge for a tiny amount of time, so it takes practice to see the attack coming and to time your dodge and followup attack (easiest with your special attack).

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Carrasco posted:

Newcomer here. Any advice on A-Ranking the mission for Zelda's level 2 baton? (Not so much for the baton, as for the Great Fairy weapon hiding in the bottom-left of the map.) I'm not that great with Zelda, but this is definitely giving me some practice.

My strategy so far has been beelining for Volga, then going for Wizzro (since he's right in front of the keep at that point), then heading for Ghirahim. I'm thinking of trying the "Guard Break" mix for this mission just to kill everything quicker. (I also crafted the "reduced damage on lightning element stages" badge).

I used an SP regen potion, killed Wizzro, Volga, then the aerolfos side, then Girahim.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I haven't been able to get the glitch to trigger yet, but I feel like I've gotten some good testing in. I've been doing this for about an hour and a half this morning and have some observations:

I also get 385 rupees pretty often after killing Gohma but before getting his normal larger amount.

When I see this amount pop up, I typically end up getting 2,100-2,500 rupees from Gohma. When I don't get this, I typically get 2,600 to 3,100 rupees from Gohma. This leads me to believe that it is, indeed a part of the process for calculating rupees for Rupees + that we are sometimes causing to happen separately or at least slow enough that it affects your rupee total before the calculation is finished.

The range I've seen on this initial amount has been from -4 to 485 with all kinds of numbers in between. Unfortunately for the -4 I already had around 30 rupees so I could not get an underflow.

From watching Shadow Ninja's video, and from my own testing, it looks like this calculation is most likely to be staggered or delayed or whatever if you trigger slow-mo. For instance, sometimes I would drop a summoned beast on Gohma and run away knowing it would kill it and the slow mo would not be triggered and I would not get to see the two separate rupee values.

Also from watching the video, and from the clip from that stream, I theorize that there is something that fucks up the calculation based on when you kill dudes during slow-mo. If you look at the successful attempts in the two videos, ~10 mobs were killed while the slow-mo was still active. The unsuccessful attempts don't appear to have this. (at least that's what it looked like, I've only watched each video twice and will re-watch)

I think this is where I'm failing. The levels I have been doing, it has been impossible to get Gohma away from the groups near him and they end up getting wiped out before I kill him, so I don't have anything to kill during slow-mo (though I do have less than 100 rupees each time)

I'm going to try a different stage and see if I find anything else.

E: Ha well that new video definitely hoses that idea. Didn't look like there was slow-mo at all there.

Jibo fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Feb 23, 2015

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
And this should be obvious, but use the drat baton. A lot of people default to Zelda's rapier for that mission because the baton is kind of a crap weapon (though its XXY combo is a wonderful crowd-cleaner), and their damage consequently nose-dives because the elements don't match. Always go for a stage's desired element if you're trying to A-rank it.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Don't feel bad, Jibo. Everyone, myself included, thought the slowdown effect was a necessary part of the glitch until I got that successful attempt.

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Another video of another success, my ninth time getting the glitch to trigger, and my second time using the Spinner to do it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCDLCZbYuGY

Another great video. I'm going to try this glitch until I make it happen. I could really use all those delicious rupees.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

:woop:

I don't really have anything to add on this one other than, this took me maybe 10-15 minutes on the map near the upper right of the Adventure map after putting 2-3 hours into one of the earlier ones (the one where you have to use Lana to fight the two Gohmas) without getting it.

DoYouHasaRabbit
Oct 8, 2007
In order for the glitch to work do you have to take out Gohma's weak point in one turn? My Link only has one of the weak point badges unlocked so I can't get Gohma down in one weak point, it takes about two.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

DoYouHasaRabbit posted:

In order for the glitch to work do you have to take out Gohma's weak point in one turn? My Link only has one of the weak point badges unlocked so I can't get Gohma down in one weak point, it takes about two.

No. The person who did this on a stream did it in two.

CGH
Mar 31, 2010
A little while ago I spent around 9 million non-glitch rupees (taking unwanted skills off of 5-star 8 slot weapons) hoping to get them back via the glitch. After around 15 minutes... success!

I forgot to get a screenshot in my giddiness, but I don't think that's necessary at this point. I used Lana's Summoning Gate in Adventure map B-12 .

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

CGH posted:

A little while ago I spent around 9 million non-glitch rupees (taking unwanted skills off of 5-star 8 slot weapons) hoping to get them back via the glitch. After around 15 minutes... success!

I forgot to get a screenshot in my giddiness, but I don't think that's necessary at this point. I used Lana's Summoning Gate in Adventure map B-12 .

Yeah I just got it again on (I'm assuming) this map. B/G-12

I think certain maps might affect the calculations that cause this in different ways.

The only thing I can really say is that both times it happened it was with the boosted C5 and I was pretty far away from Gohma before I actually got the rupees.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
What happens if you try to replicate the glitch in co-op?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Bicyclops posted:

That's grinding! You really, really don't need to do it until you're at like the last 5 weapons of the basic adventure map. You pick up weapons as you use those characters to clear the map (or, if you have amiibos, through your daily taps).

You have to do it eventually and it takes just a few runs to get a 5* weapon which makes getting the level 2 weapon a breeze. If you're not doing it you're just being stupid.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Kin posted:

You have to do it eventually and it takes just a few runs to get a 5* weapon which makes getting the level 2 weapon a breeze. If you're not doing it you're just being stupid.

:lol:

Until you get to like, Darunia's level 3, I don't think it is necessary, especially since getting the most out of that map involves letting the player characters run down their hit points and killing the hordes in the meantime, making it one of the longer courses to complete a run on. To each his own, I guess.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Kin posted:

Beating the Level 3 weapons missions requires actual tactics beyond just making your numbers higher, which is partly why those stages infuriate so many people. You can clear them with a 0-star weapon if you understand the bullshit little puzzle the stage wants you to solve. If you don't understand it, a 5-star weapon will just make your death longer and more embarrassing.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
If a mission is giving you trouble, make a weapon potion and arrow/bomb your way to victory. Grinding is for suckers. (spends another couple of hours doing the rupee glitch to level everyone)

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I haven't used the apothecary once. I get the feeling the Twilight map is going to cure me of that.

Zertoss
Apr 29, 2009
So if the rupee glitch is accomplished by losing rupees so that you end up with less than zero, could you get the same result with rupee thieves on the Termina map?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Sometimes I am tempted to try the rupee glitch, because 10 million rupees worth of leveling people would be pretty cool, but I bet that I would just waste about a half an hour trying to engage with the esoteric magic that makes it work and end up aggravated.

• Locked thread