Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe
We had a table with one person who reportedly had leaky gut, and e-mailed a month and a half in advance with literally two pages of ingredients she couldn't have, including things like butter, garlic and chicken. She ordered an eight-course tasting menu :downs:

E: At the end of it she said she was still hungry, and ordered a well-done beef entree, which the restaurant compensated because they were such assholes who seemingly couldn't be appeased.

Invisible Ted fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Feb 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

quote:

This theory is vague and largely unproven, and there is no evidence that the remedies marketed for treating leaky gut bring the benefits they claim.

:laffo:

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Simoom posted:

"That person with the lobster avatar is definitely a smart cookie in this thread and I thank them for calling out my masochism once or twice because this is no way to live!"

Awwww, thanks. Take care of yourselves, my friends.

I've gotten a few allergy cards as a server. I like them because I'm a little more comfortable handing them over to the chef, though with severe allergies and simple dishes I would usually just make it myself on separate pans. Because I was the Best Waitress Ever, As a chef, I've had one guy with allergies so multiple and severe that he actually went shopping with me (private dining setting, not restaurant) and we went over all my recipes to see what he could eat and what I could alter. He spent a lot of time in the galley chopping veggies and keeping an eye on me, but he was good at prep and I was good at not poisoning him so it worked it. What did not work out was the guy who was "allergic" to salt. He was traveling with his daughter who had a huge list of everything he couldn't have and she was INSISTENT that he have full options to eat at every meal with limited special options just for him. So the whole boat got baked goods with no salt that cruise (because even 1/4 tsp over a batch of cookies would basically kill him.) Fine, I'll do that for someone with a legit disorder. Until we get to the lobster bake and I see this guy with a plate containing two lobsters and a cob of corn. I run after him screaming bloody murder because a single bite of what was on his plate would surely kill him on the spot (his daughter said he WOULD DIE if he ate salt) and he's like, "oh, I can splurge once in awhile and have a little salt." "This is not a little salt," I say, "Everything on your plate was boiled in seawater!" "Oh it's fine now and then," his daughter chimed in. I am still awaiting my medal for not punching her in the face.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

CommonShore posted:

I've seen this card before. I'm inclined to think that this is fake. the -ose thing tips the scales for me.

I've run into people with even more ridiculous "allergies" than this while cooking.

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

I actually prefer when people give me the "I will die if I have these things" cards. Because then I legitimately care, and it isn't some special snowflake who watches Dr. Oz and gluten is the devil, and wants to know why she can't have the margerhita flatbread gluten free. And then gives me a 1 in Medallia because I wasn't able to bend to her loving whims, not because she was a stupid loving oval office.

Sure, except for when it's this word salad of "lol I can't eat anything I guess, bring me a burger".

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Wroughtirony posted:

Awwww, thanks. Take care of yourselves, my friends.

I've gotten a few allergy cards as a server. I like them because I'm a little more comfortable handing them over to the chef, though with severe allergies and simple dishes I would usually just make it myself on separate pans. Because I was the Best Waitress Ever, As a chef, I've had one guy with allergies so multiple and severe that he actually went shopping with me (private dining setting, not restaurant) and we went over all my recipes to see what he could eat and what I could alter. He spent a lot of time in the galley chopping veggies and keeping an eye on me, but he was good at prep and I was good at not poisoning him so it worked it. What did not work out was the guy who was "allergic" to salt. He was traveling with his daughter who had a huge list of everything he couldn't have and she was INSISTENT that he have full options to eat at every meal with limited special options just for him. So the whole boat got baked goods with no salt that cruise (because even 1/4 tsp over a batch of cookies would basically kill him.) Fine, I'll do that for someone with a legit disorder. Until we get to the lobster bake and I see this guy with a plate containing two lobsters and a cob of corn. I run after him screaming bloody murder because a single bite of what was on his plate would surely kill him on the spot (his daughter said he WOULD DIE if he ate salt) and he's like, "oh, I can splurge once in awhile and have a little salt." "This is not a little salt," I say, "Everything on your plate was boiled in seawater!" "Oh it's fine now and then," his daughter chimed in. I am still awaiting my medal for not punching her in the face.

This is when you hope to have an awesome diner who will then proceed to humiliate them after you walk away.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
That allergy card picture should have come with a trigger warning.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Health Inspection today!!!!

Don't touch anything and run out the back door.

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
I have senority now

127 shifts left or is it 128? gently caress

help

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

A Man and his dog posted:

Health Inspection today!!!!

Don't touch anything and run out the back door.

For real, how are people working that health inspection is different than any other day?

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

For real, how are people working that health inspection is different than any other day?

Rumor has it a prominent high-end Austin restaurant failed their health inspection and was nearly shut down because the health department caught them breaking down half a pig in the prep kitchen.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013
So the snow here is so bad that I just had to help push a cop car that got stuck in it up the hill outside our restaraunt. Our owner still wants to stay open.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Wroughtirony posted:

Rumor has it a prominent high-end Austin restaurant failed their health inspection and was nearly shut down because the health department caught them breaking down half a pig in the prep kitchen.

On what grounds? I've only bartended in Austin but that sounds pretty bog-standard for the area, what with all the BBQ. Like, were they doing it wrong? Or was the inspector out of line? Why would that be inherently against code?

(Not questioning that it happened, or being lovely, just confused.)

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

On what grounds? I've only bartended in Austin but that sounds pretty bog-standard for the area, what with all the BBQ. Like, were they doing it wrong? Or was the inspector out of line? Why would that be inherently against code?

(Not questioning that it happened, or being lovely, just confused.)

I am honestly not sure. I think it might have something to do with some butchery needing to be done in USDA approved facilities? Either way, it was just a rumor circulating at the time.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Hmm. That's a possibility. I think the actual act of slaughter for sure has to be done in one, but shipping out a dead animal to carve should be okay? What do I know.

In other news, my place was announced is a semifinalist for a JB award two days ago... Everyone on staff has gone nuts, I'm half expecting knife fights to break out because tensions are so drat high. Ugh.

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

In other news, my place was announced is a semifinalist for a JB award two days ago... Everyone on staff has gone nuts, I'm half expecting knife fights to break out because tensions are so drat high. Ugh.

Same here, except nobody's acting differently. We've won one already six years ago, so I suppose it's not as huge as it could be, but I still feel we should be a little excited.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
We were a popup and now have been in a brick and mortar for jussssssst about four months. Lots of good press and reviews, good tweets from important people, but instead of excited over this news, it's like everyone on staff decided to rip off the heads of everyone else and try to spit in their hearts. It's weird, I don't like it. I'm glad I'm off tonight.

Congrats! And good luck!

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

For real, how are people working that james beard nomination is different than any other day?

(congrats!)

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Wroughtirony posted:

Wasn't a pig, was a wild hog. I was nearly shut down one day, all of our coolers went down and a Sysco refrigerated truck was en route. Health inspector showed up and literally siezed every cooler, despite them being worked on when she came. She was a real oval office and had only been an inspector for a few months.

Also in Austin, you have to get permits for just about everything that might need a HAACP plan. Including: vacuum sealing, charcuterie, butchering(because you have a hacksaw!). Austins health dept is hilariously out of date, understaffed, and underfunded. I got docked 5 points a while back for cleaning my hands with sanitizer after using gloves, because the city does not recognize sanitizer as a valid cleaning method.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Hmm. That's a possibility. I think the actual act of slaughter for sure has to be done in one, but shipping out a dead animal to carve should be okay? What do I know.

Nicely done!

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich

because the city does not recognize sanitizer as a valid cleaning method.

:lol: what?!?!

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

We were a popup and now have been in a brick and mortar for jussssssst about four months. Lots of good press and reviews, good tweets from important people, but instead of excited over this news, it's like everyone on staff decided to rip off the heads of everyone else and try to spit in their hearts. It's weird, I don't like it. I'm glad I'm off tonight.

Congrats! And good luck!

You're not in sf are you?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Yep, having hand sanitizer in Austin is basically pointless. You know, except for the part where its extremely fast an convenient and doesn't take 30 seconds from start to finish. Also, the city flips their poo poo if you don't wear gloves for prep. I very much dislike wearing gloves when I break down proteins, city doesn't care, there must be 3 barriers, minus 3 points!

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Yep, having hand sanitizer in Austin is basically pointless. You know, except for the part where its extremely fast an convenient and doesn't take 30 seconds from start to finish. Also, the city flips their poo poo if you don't wear gloves for prep. I very much dislike wearing gloves when I break down proteins, city doesn't care, there must be 3 barriers, minus 3 points!

Yeah, I feel like gloves are always the wrong size or made of lovely materials and breaking on me, and management never gives a gently caress about changing up the glove order. They definitely slow me down for some prep.

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp
A place I worked got docked 10 points because the sous had the gall to finish off his bottle of orange juice while standing in the kitchen. Another place in town used to dump quarts and quarts of their really, really good house made ice cream anytime the call went around that the inspector was out and about because it's a pretty big violation to mix cream and milk without repasteurizing it (which requires like a million dollars in equipment to meet code or some stupid bullshit).

Health code is loving stupid 95% of the time.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Skinny King Pimp posted:

A place I worked got docked 10 points because the sous had the gall to finish off his bottle of orange juice while standing in the kitchen. Another place in town used to dump quarts and quarts of their really, really good house made ice cream anytime the call went around that the inspector was out and about because it's a pretty big violation to mix cream and milk without repasteurizing it (which requires like a million dollars in equipment to meet code or some stupid bullshit).

Health code is loving stupid 95% of the time.

My health inspector is awesome. All he cares about is temps and labeling.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Everyone in our kitchen is super cautious right now because we're due for survey. Corporate did a mock one a few months ago and we passed, but it wasn't perfect, so they still had us to go through with a plan of corrective action. I can't wait to get this poo poo out out of the way. It's not that I'm worried at all about how we'll do, it's just that I don't want to hear "Remember, we're due for survey!" every single drat day at work any more.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Errant Gin Monks posted:

My health inspector is awesome. All he cares about is temps and labeling.

This is a good health inspector. Lucky man. Just have the temps good, labeling, the dishwasher set up straight, and the kitchen not looking like a complete poo poo hole and you shouldn't have much to worry about.

My place has been running A 98% for a solid few years running now.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Hauki posted:

Yeah, I feel like gloves are always the wrong size or made of lovely materials and breaking on me, and management never gives a gently caress about changing up the glove order. They definitely slow me down for some prep.

I think the only time I ever wore gloves while doing prep was when I was working with dough. We fired our new sous today after he dropped a pack of smokes into the huge industrial mixer for whipped potatoes. It was caught right before service started.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Secret Spoon posted:

I think the only time I ever wore gloves while doing prep was when I was working with dough. We fired our new sous today after he dropped a pack of smokes into the huge industrial mixer for whipped potatoes. It was caught right before service started.

I only wear gloves when I'm working with raw chicken. Otherwise suck a dick gloves.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I only wear gloves when I'm working with raw chicken. Otherwise suck a dick gloves.

When I work with protein I was always sanitary, and the gloves we had sucked. I was breaking down a psmo and cut myself because of them and never ever worked with them again. The hosed up things is that when I cut myself I just saw myself flushing a 100$ bill. I didn't care that I cut myself really, but the chef was super worried about me. I love that dude. He is like the biggest redneck ever and has a super huge rad truck with a gun rack and everything. It's always awesome watching him make menus for big events, like the last one had some roast quail and goat cheese or whatever, it was amazinnnnggggg.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Lol how does someone drop a pack of smokes into the mixer smh..

Did you guys still serve a new batch of potatoes? Or just 86 them ?

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

A Man and his dog posted:

Lol how does someone drop a pack of smokes into the mixer smh..

Did you guys still serve a new batch of potatoes? Or just 86 them ?

naw They got a new batch together. I guess the new sous had a pack in his front shirt pocket and they fell into the mixer at some point.

infiniteguest
May 14, 2009

oh god oh god
How much mashed potato does one produce in a huge industrial mixer?

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

You're not in sf are you?

Hahaha, busted!

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.
I love how the cigarettes in the potatoes weren't caught immediately. "What are those brown flecks in there?" "Oh that's the potato skin."

infiniteguest posted:

Enough?

P.S. I'm actually working somewhere where no one's a dick and I just got a dollar raise out of nowhere. And the food doesn't suck and we're generally busy. The bosses are nice people. It's loving weird. I even bought the hat I like the place so much. It's like I'm in oz or some poo poo.

Alobar fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Feb 23, 2015

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

infiniteguest posted:

I used to do garlic smashed potatoes in a giant Hobart for J Alexander's 20 years ago. And it would take a 50 lbs box easy with room to spare. We would also not have any left at the end of the day so...

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

We do about 80lbs at once? Im kind of guessing. We would make about 240 lbs every Friday, and if memory serves we only had to do 3 batches.

E: its been over 6 months since I worked back of house, so it is anyone's guess. Chef did a tasting and saw a cig butt and was like what the gently caress. After some digging and a lot of finger pointing from the sous later, they figured it out.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
Tonight I was yelled at, and the radio was removed from the kitchen, because I failed to anticipate a song chef not liking coming on to the radio, and therefor did not change the station before he had to hear it.

It wasn't even an offensive song or station, it was just oldies rock, but they move a little into the 90s from time to time I guess. Not 20 minutes before that he was singing along to the music, on the same channel.

Mithross fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Feb 23, 2015

Hobo Camp
Aug 8, 2006

No problo, Rob Lowe.

BuckT.Trend posted:

If she's allergic to all sugars ending in -ose, how the gently caress is she even still living? Even if you ingest no sugars at all, your body breaks down carbohydrates and proteins into glucose. GLUCOSE. Also known as BLOOD SUGAR. gently caress people with their bullshit special snowflake made up "allergies."

I've never posted in this thread because I'm on the pastry side, but I wanted to comment on this.

All this allergy poo poo is getting ridiculous.

It used to be that every once in a while a server would send us a note along with their tickets. "Warning: guest with nut allergies." We'd then take all necessary precautions and sanitize all our tools before cooking and serving. Easy peasy.

Now it's just absurd. Aside from working the line, I also have to do all the bread production. I work in a busy restaurant for a worldwide luxury hotel branch. We're in the Caribbean. It's winter, so yeah, we're getting loving slammed every night. I swear, every time a server wastes 36 seconds of my time to tell my a guest is "KIND of... I mean not completely, but SORT OF allergic to sesame seeds... so can you maybe shut your ovens off, sanitize them, then go up and down the hotel to find them a suitable bread that they won't probably eat, anyway?"

I swear to god.

My favorite is when Americans complain that they can't eat our coconut bread pudding because they're allergic to nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Hobo Camp posted:

My favorite is when Americans complain that they can't eat our coconut bread pudding because they're allergic to nuts.

:catstare:

• Locked thread