Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Emmy Lou

The Phantom[b]

[b]Sunday Rip Haywire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Calvin And Hobbes

Ripley's

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Reply All

Pearls Before Swine

Pros & Cons

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

ZeeToo posted:

[b]Reply All

Is this a world where Easter doesn't exist, or have they already gorged themselves on chocolate rabbits?

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
oh god comics

Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

Four Eyes

Lost Side of Suburbia

Dick Tracy

Inspector Danger's Crime Quiz

Deep Dark Fears

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Wanamingo posted:

Deep Dark Fears

I'm actually colorblind so I can't tell if there are numbers in either circle :v:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Alabaster White posted:

I'm actually colorblind so I can't tell if there are numbers in either circle :v:

That means you are a ghost.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

SynthOrange posted:

This is not how I wanted to find out.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.

Mercury Hat posted:

Is this a world where Easter doesn't exist, or have they already gorged themselves on chocolate rabbits?
Pretty ironic because Easter is the biggest candy-selling holiday of the year, more than Halloween, Valentine's or Christmas.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I am on the edge of my seat for Ben Bolt, even if I have a feeling how it will turn out.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Julet Esqu posted:

So what do you guys think is worse? A bad effort-comic or a bad garbage comic? You've got your try-hards like McEldowney and Batiuk and maybe that Kevin and Kel guy who think they're making important art but completely fail on some important level. Then there's your Mother Gooses, your Rose is Roses and any number of zombie comics where the person/committee in charge went on auto pilot long ago and are just churning out the same old thing for a paycheck at this point.

Then you have the in-betweens like A3G where the writer maybe once cared but has been burned out by an artist who transparently would not give a poo poo if everybody ever involved in the production of comics in general and A3G in particular since the beginning of time died horribly today, including himself, or like Luann where the writers probably are trying to make a quality product even if they aren't under the illusion that it's some kind of high art.

Do you think an artist's passion for their comic (or lack thereof) bumps a comic higher or lower on the quality scale?
For me it's more about consistency. I never read 9Cl or MGaG because they're just always bad, without exception, and always in the same way. I know what I'll get if I read them. I read Luann because it manages to be bad in several different ways, so there's some variety to it. I do just skip anything that looks ugly though (like Piranha Club or Monty).

Mercury Hat posted:

Who gets fancy chocolate for Easter?

Lockhorns

Pajama Diaries

I checked, they actually do fit on her head.

Ziggy

So this whole time, everyone constantly belittling Ziggy has been part of some elaborate fantasy he's designed for himself? This changes everything! :aaa:

Mandrake the Magician (November 8th, 1942)

She's been missing for days and you're just now going to the police? :crossarms:

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Tiggum posted:

Ziggy

So this whole time, everyone constantly belittling Ziggy has been part of some elaborate fantasy he's designed for himself? This changes everything! :aaa:

The holodeck wasn't part of the Original Series, Ziggy! You're not fooling me! :argh:

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Tiggum posted:

For me it's more about consistency. I never read 9Cl or MGaG because they're just always bad, without exception, and always in the same way. I know what I'll get if I read them. I read Luann because it manages to be bad in several different ways, so there's some variety to it. I do just skip anything that looks ugly though (like Piranha Club or Monty).

9CL, Luann and Funky all sort of have the same appeal as Ed Wood movies to me. Like everything is there. You have a dedicated person with all the basic skills needed and who wants nothing more than to tell a good story but just keeps loving it up. Why is that so interesting to me?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

SynthOrange posted:

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Tiggum posted:

Ziggy

I'm fairly certain that the text is supposed to read: "We might as well be honest with you folks...This entire comic strip takes place in a Jacob's Ladder-esque death hallucination."

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

i don't know, that's sort of a funny retcon for Ziggy. When I get access to a holosuite I can virtually (haha) assure you I will spend no time roleplaying the owner of a smart rear end parrot.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Dude! Spoilers!

Nah, I'm just fuckin with ya.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
The future is so bleak that its inhabitants construct holographic depressing banalities to relieve the ennui.

Thanks, Ziggy, just when you couldn't be more depressing.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Tiggum posted:

Ziggy

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mary Worth

Rex Morgan MD

(It's huge because I had to go to Comics Kingdom for some reason--but as a bonus we get the lead-in panels too.)

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Man, that Dingdon whelp is relentlessly awful.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Wanamingo posted:

Inspector Danger's Crime Quiz

Why does nobody ever ask to see Inspector Danger's warrant?

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Cul-de-sac I would be remiss if I didn't post this:

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Tiggum posted:

Hold the fuckin phone, son. Monty is easily one of the best strips in the thread.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

kidcoelacanth posted:

Hold the fuckin phone, son. Monty is easily one of the best strips in the thread.

It's hideous, so I've never read it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

What. The artwork is one of the best parts.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Yeah, Monty is seriously good. Brooke and Holbrook's garbage is awful, truly the worst garbage in the thread. Even Piranha club is better than those pieces of poo poo.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Tiggum posted:

Ziggy

Well of course Ziggy's on the holodeck. That's why he never wears pants.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Dustin

It would be less effort just to load it up on Netflix.

Bleeker the Rechargeable Dog

There's always the Little Nemo option of hallucinatory nightmares

On the Fastrack

This is applicable to all pets, especially boa constrictors.

Safe Havens

It would be so, so easy to kill him and hide the body.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.

Tiggum posted:

Agreed, I scroll past Mother Goose and Grimm pretty easily. Every time I looked it's some apathetically delivered bad pun. Luann is in some kind of one-upping contest to see which cast member can be the most awful (I think TJ and Gunther are the current front runners).

Midnight Moth fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Feb 23, 2015

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Except we haven't heard from TJ in awhile. Which means he'll start a new racket next week, probably, once Goonther's plotline runs out.

Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Mother Goose & Grimm

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

A "DVDs are hard to open!" joke in 2015 when I remember hearing that same joke 20 years ago with CDs. Maybe even thirty years ago with cassettes/VHS tapes and how tight the plastic wrap was on them :what:

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?
Jane's World

Non Sequitur

That boat must have an awfully heavy keel.

Phoebe and Her Unicorn has not updated.

Kliban

:v:

9 Chickweed Lane 2/23/2004

Man of many hats, and they're all stupid.

Zits

Kevin & Kell

:ughh:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Mr Grey is going to hear about the adventures in Peruvian office life and offer Gunther a part time job at his company, so the strip can shove some stale office jokes in there along with the college-is-high-school, Tiff-is-dumb-and-wrong, and my-relatives'-child-is-annoying.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Ha! She pinched his dick!
Cul-de-sac

The Creeps

Poptropica

Heathcliff

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

This is the best strip ever.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set is looking for perks.

Working Daze makes me yell incoherently at my screen like a crazy person.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

I have mixed feelings about the whole polo shirts and ID lanyards thing Dilbert has adopted. On the one hand, the core of an enduring comic strip character is a recognizable silhouette (which, in this case, I feel should include Dilbert's perpetually upturned necktie). On the other hand, Dilbert is nominally a caricature of modern corporate culture, and I guess the ubiquitous salaryman uniform is no longer a suit and tie.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

So...not only is there an institutionalized murder system, but the killers run around naked while doing so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Applewhite posted:

I have mixed feelings about the whole polo shirts and ID lanyards thing Dilbert has adopted. On the one hand, the core of an enduring comic strip character is a recognizable silhouette (which, in this case, I feel should include Dilbert's perpetually upturned necktie). On the other hand, Dilbert is nominally a caricature of modern corporate culture, and I guess the ubiquitous salaryman uniform is no longer a suit and tie.

I'm in favour of the change, because Dilbert's tie was infuriating.

• Locked thread