Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I just finished assembling the dragon from DDS2 and goddamn. I know it's not a Kaladrax or a Titan or anything but it's by far the biggest single mini I've ever owned, not counting my Khanjira which is still in pieces in its box.

Can't wait to paint this poo poo. :holy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

JerryLee posted:

Can't wait to paint this poo poo. :holy:

Bones aren't for painting, they're for storing in boxes.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Signal posted:

You joke but this is exactly why I just got two things that I knew I wanted to use and/or paint ASAP rather than a base set.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Yeah, I've been making a conscious effort to start producing painted models at a steady rate. Still have way too much to go through, though.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
So I just picked up a Bones figure from my local store today with the intention of getting back into mini painting ( I wasn't part of the kickstarter). I really didn't expect the bonesium to be so soft, how does paint react to such a flexible surface? Am I gonna get cracks on the bendy parts like swords?

Educator
Feb 22, 2015

Super Waffle posted:

So I just picked up a Bones figure from my local store today with the intention of getting back into mini painting ( I wasn't part of the kickstarter). I really didn't expect the bonesium to be so soft, how does paint react to such a flexible surface? Am I gonna get cracks on the bendy parts like swords?

I found that as long as you use fairly high quality acrylics (GW or PP), you'll be fine.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Educator posted:

I found that as long as you use fairly high quality acrylics (GW or PP), you'll be fine.

Or... Reaper? :v:

But yeah, it's absolutely fine. I've never had an issue with paint cracking.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Howard Hues works well too.

Educator
Feb 22, 2015

JerryLee posted:

Or... Reaper? :v:

But yeah, it's absolutely fine. I've never had an issue with paint cracking.

Oh, maybe. I have zero experience with those paints. There have been no stockists of Reaper things here since the late nineties.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

It was mostly a joke since it struck me as funny that you wouldn't mention the paints by the company that makes the minis. :v:

But yeah, if you're unlucky it can be hard getting paints besides those made by the big two game companies. If you're really unlucky it might just be GW.

Educator
Feb 22, 2015

JerryLee posted:

It was mostly a joke since it struck me as funny that you wouldn't mention the paints by the company that makes the minis. :v:

But yeah, if you're unlucky it can be hard getting paints besides those made by the big two game companies. If you're really unlucky it might just be GW.

Yeah, well it serves me for living in the butthole end of the rear end end of the world.

But yeah, the soft materials often look flimsy, but paint up nice.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

JerryLee posted:

More like, "Or if you're REALLY unlucky, Testor's."

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Signal posted:

Hello, Reaper Bones support group. I have bones in boxes. One day at a time, though. Sometimes life is tough, but then mother earth sends you four weeks of gigantic snowstorms and things start to look better. Today I finished 2xCritters ...

Up next are some zombies and familiars ...

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Super Waffle posted:

If you ever peel some caked acrylic paint off a palette you will discover that it is fairly flexible when dried.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Heads up. One of the horse riders apparently has a an issue where the wrong arms were used. The right arm is actually a left arm. I don't know if it's everyone, but it seems to have affected a fairly large number. Take a look at yours if you got Expansion Set #2.

Depending on whether or not Reaper will have replacement arms or not, I may just end up chopping some arms off an Anhurian or other mini and fixing the problem myself. This may end up being the Alien Cowgirl of Bones 2.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Hmm, yup, mine's definitely got a left arm instead of a right.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
woo

quote:

Hi there! We're shipping out your Kickstarter stuff!

You're getting:
Cadirith x1
Thank You Set x1
Greedy Adventurers x1
Nathavarr, Dragon x1
Crumbling Tower, Upper Level x2
Crumbling Tower, Ground Level x2
Crumbling Staircases x2
Dragons Don't Share x1
Khanjira, the World Breaker x1
Mashaaf, Great Old One x1
Expansion Set 3 x1
Expansion Set 2 x1
Numenera Monsters x1
Master Series Paint Set 2 x1
Expansion Set 1 x1
Verocithrax Dragon x1
Master Series Paint Set x1
Cinder Dragon x1
Devils x1
Blightfang Dragon x1
Dungeon Decor 2 x1
Demon Lords x1
Hill Giants x1
Water Elementals x1
Greater Demons x1
Gelatinous Cube x1
Heroes and Villains x1
Oh, Rats! x1
Unleash the Kraken! x1
Mouslings x1
Lords of Darkness x1
Narthrax Dragon x1
Dungeon Decor x1
2013 Core Set x1

Your shipment was postmarked on 02-18-2015 and is being shipped UPS Ground.

24lbs of white soft plastic...

Diosamblet
Oct 9, 2004

Me and my shadow
When my first Bones set arrived, I tried priming the usual way with my airbrush, with the expected "tacky forever" results. Tried brush-priming thinned down with water: It was hydrophobic as hell, refusing to stick. I refuse to apply primer straight with a brush, that's barbaric.
Now I can't use spray methods where I'm living, so today in anticipation of Bones 2 I tried brushing on primer thinned with airbrush thinner... it worked fine!
So... I might actually paint my bones. Eventually.

Oh, am I supposed to include the list?

quote:

Hi there! We're shipping out your Kickstarter stuff!

You're getting:
Expansion Set 2 x1
Thank You Set x1
Nathavarr, Dragon x1
Gelatinous Cube x1
Heroes and Villains x1
Narthrax Dragon x1
2013 Core Set x1

After seeing Khanjira and Mashaaf at a convention, I deeply regret finalizing my order so early.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Diosamblet posted:

When my first Bones set arrived, I tried priming the usual way with my airbrush, with the expected "tacky forever" results. Tried brush-priming thinned down with water: It was hydrophobic as hell, refusing to stick. I refuse to apply primer straight with a brush, that's barbaric.
Now I can't use spray methods where I'm living, so today in anticipation of Bones 2 I tried brushing on primer thinned with airbrush thinner... it worked fine!
So... I might actually paint my bones. Eventually.

I initially did the toothbrush and dish soap thing, but I got tired of that and have had more than enough success priming with a simple black wash. It makes the areas that need more attention readily apparent, and a quick brushing with the wash does the job, and the black does a wonderful job of picking out the details without darkening the colors, so you can actually see what you're painting.

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

This month I'm painting six Bones from the first Kickstarter and I've been having some major difficulties with paint beading up and refusing to stay put. I ended up washing two of them again, despite having washed and boiled them all months ago when I received them. The paint still beaded up but persistence paid off and I've got at least a base coat of colour on them all now.

Is there a spray paint available in Australia that works well on Bones? I've got a Kaladrax and no real hope of ever actually painting it.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Are you thinning your paint with water?

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

Bad Munki posted:

Are you thinning your paint with water?

Nope, straight from the bottle. Some are even reaper paints. The GW paints are thicker and bead way less, but I just expected the reaper paints to work at least.

They're the promo colours from past reapercon bags

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Huh, that's strange. When you washed them, did you actually use soap? Like a bit of dish soap and a tooth brush to make sure the recesses get clean.

If you want to use a spray primer, you can, but you may have to try a few to find one that works. I think it's the drying agents in the paint that cause the problem, they can soften or even dissolve a tiny amount of plastic, which leads to it never really curing right. If you have any sprue, you could test a few brands on that until you find one that works. As a pre-test, if you wanted and/or have limited testing sprue, you could spray whatever candidate primer you're using on a bit of foam board insulation, the pink or blue stuff you get at the hardware store. It's not the same material, but if it dissolves under the spray paint, it's pretty likely bonesium will also have curing issues. If it doesn't dissolve, there's at least a chance it'll work on bonesium.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Feb 24, 2015

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
They're out for delivery

:ohdear:

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Washed or unwashed, the best luck I have had priming bones is by making my own primer using tubes of generic art store acrylic thinned with airbrush medium and water. Its the airbrush medium that has seemed to really make the difference, and of course if you don't have an airbrush than this does you no good.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I boiled mine in water with a few drops of dish soap, rinsed them, then spray primed them with Armory Gray. Worked great.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Captain Invictus posted:

They're out for delivery

:ohdear:

I hope you're sending a ham to your postal carrier's widow.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I hope you're sending a ham to your postal carrier's widow.
I'm staying awake to help the UPS guy when he gets here so he only has to make one trip. :v:

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I finally got around to putting some paint on my Bones 1 stuff and Badger Stynlrez I primer works great through an airbrush or by normal brush.

Also, Captain Invictus I'll be going through the Bones 2 list and let you know what I want soon.

Does anyone have extra sets of the HD paint they want to sell off?

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
I've found that certain colors stick better than others. "Pure black" reaper paint works really well as that first coat.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

ritorix posted:

I've found that certain colors stick better than others. "Pure black" reaper paint works really well as that first coat.

I've been enjoying using the high pigment density paints from the last kickstarter as a base coat, works really well. I brushed on a little, and that worked great, but this weekend I'm going to try airbrushing with the same.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Greetings, James! Your packages have been delivered! Says ups dot com.

Delivery location: front door!

Except he didn't take them to the front door. no, he literally left them in a pile in the middle of the loving driveway, where anyone could just back in, load them up, and drive away without anyone the wiser. Better believe I'm filing a report when I get to work tonight.

Educator
Feb 22, 2015

Captain Invictus posted:

Except he didn't take them to the front door. no, he literally left them in a pile in the middle of the loving driveway, where anyone could just back in, load them up, and drive away without anyone the wiser. Better believe I'm filing a report when I get to work tonight.

Kill his family.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Captain Invictus posted:

Order less poo poo next time, drat, think of the delivery guy. I mean sure its his job, but drat dude... that many packages of white plastic....

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

The Dark Project posted:

Anyone got a picture of the "Thank you" pack? I'd like to see what I am getting.

Cheers!

This is a whole page late, but I kept forgetting about this when I was in the same building as my bones.

All the bags are helpfully labeled to tell you what set it's from.

The two figures that require assembly are further bagged individually so the pieces don't get mixed up.

They do require glue though.

And here's all the normal figures! The Peryton is a bit wing heavy and probably needs a bit more base.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Baron Snow posted:

And here's all the normal figures! The Peryton is a bit wing heavy and probably needs a bit more base.

There, that one on the lower left, that little stalagmite, that's the one I couldn't find anywhere. So I'm not just crazy, at least, it must be something they just added in later.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Bad Munki posted:

There, that one on the lower left, that little stalagmite, that's the one I couldn't find anywhere. So I'm not just crazy, at least, it must be something they just added in later.

It's the base for the cloaker.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

JackMann posted:

Likewise, expansion set #2 has a piece of scenery that's meant to be used as a base for the Deva, though you could repurpose it for something else since the Deva does a decent job of standing up on its own anyways.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

LumberingTroll posted:

Order less poo poo next time, drat, think of the delivery guy. I mean sure its his job, but drat dude... that many packages of white plastic....

:ssh: I left a note on the door saying I would help him, and cleared the walkway entirely of snow for him. He never even went to the front door.

Educator posted:

Kill his family.
Way ahead of you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

JackMann posted:

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :doh:

• Locked thread