Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Aw hell, you guys are right. I remembered Tetsu^4's team being in third place and Midoriya coming in fourth so I thought the last minute grabs by Midoriya and Tokoyami bumped the original fourth out, but upon rereading it was not so. drat my memory, that's a real shame. The fateful showdown between copy-paste quirks will have to wait for another day/tournament arc.

Well, in a way, Kirishima won their little feud by making it further than Tetsu did. Even if it had to do with teams and such, he's in and Tetsu's out.

I'm more curious how this tournament's going to go down. I'm going to assume that's Deku's making it to the finals, though that may not happen. It's a bigger mystery who's he'll face in the final match. Bakugou and Todoroki are both appropriate, but I could see mind-control dude somehow making his way there while those two fall earlier, whether to Deku or someone else (at least one probably to whoever Deku would face in the end). Then again, he could also end up being a person Deku has to take down earlier. I'm not sure if this will go the surprising/subverting shonen stuff route and have one of the non-rivals be the final match, or go peak shonen and have it culminate in a rival semifinals and the other rival for the finals. Or possibly something else. Who knows. It'll be much easier to make predictions when we see who's where on the bracket (though this series could still surprise us).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Yeah, the whole situation is hosed up. Married against your own will cause your family wanted that sweet sweet Endeavor money, so you take it out on your own son, who's innocent. Like, who does that? Who sees a woman and goes "I'll buy her" instead of thinking that there might be something wrong with forcing someone to have sex with you?

Unfortunately, far too many people, particularly in countries that haven't had a strong feminist movement, and where governments aren't wholly able or willing to enforce the law. Sometimes families will even trick their daughters into returning home so they can then be married off. Its a messed up system that lingers, and probably would see a rise in a world where superpowers are the norm.

But as someone mentioned, Deku acknowledging that, whilst keeping to his own determination, was good. He's allowed to feel sympathy for someone without giving up his own goals, just because they've got personal baggage. I think we've now got our Superman/Batman dynamic. Or maybe Captain America/Iron Man, given its a weakling gifted strength to do good, against someone trying to do good in spite of a hosed up family legacy.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

I like the trio that's going on with Deku, Bakugou, and Todoroki, especially with the title of the chapter.

Yeah, this looks like it's shaking out to be some pretty interesting stuff down the line.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
Hey, if I'm getting this right Todoroki was burned by his mom on account of him looking like his father right?If so jeeze that certainly doesn't paint the marriage as fully consensual.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
What part of a shotgun marriage purely because of her quirk made you think it was consensual before then?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Todoroki is remarkably well-adjusted considering everything he has to put up with at home.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Your average kid would've literally murdered the mooks back during the villain attack with a background like Todoroki's.

Kind of a hosed up twist, but I'm more happy someone besides frog girl noticed that Midoriya's power isn't just super strength, but exactly like All Might's particular brand of it. I just like it when writers actually bother to deal with the obvious poo poo that you're supposed to suspend disbelief over ("hurr why can't anyone tell that Clark Kent is Superman with glasses on??").

As for a tournament arc... Yeah I like em but Midoriya is likely not coming out on top considering his control of his power extends to "not totally maiming myself when I swing at the air". He can't open up a can on anyone since they'll loving DIE, and he can't dial it down to anime knockout power.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
My bet is we'll get a really impressive rival battle at some point that, even if he technically wins, renders Deku completely unable to continue participating in the tournament. Whoever wins can either get hyped about their victory, or pissed that they didn't really get to test themselves against the second coming of All Might.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I greatly enjoyed Asui's Yaoyorozu's despair at being conned by Mineta, and also how pumped up invisible girl is all the time.

kidcoelacanth fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Feb 23, 2015

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I imagine Midoriya will get to do some near OnePunchMan demonstration of his power and shock the crowd since it has been made clear the villains are watching too.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

kidcoelacanth posted:

I greatly enjoyed Asui's Yaoyorozu's despair at being conned by Mineta, and also how pumped up invisible girl is all the time.

Well she's actually wearing more clothes than normal.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Radish posted:

Well she's actually wearing more clothes than normal.

That never seems to bother her much either. She's a fun character I hope she gets to do more than invisibility gag stuff soon.

Unless you're talking about Yaoyorozu?? I dunno

I like this comic is what I'm saying

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

Fabricated posted:

Kind of a hosed up twist, but I'm more happy someone besides frog girl noticed that Midoriya's power isn't just super strength, but exactly like All Might's particular brand of it. I just like it when writers actually bother to deal with the obvious poo poo that you're supposed to suspend disbelief over ("hurr why can't anyone tell that Clark Kent is Superman with glasses on??").

I liked how Superman Returns handled this. Lois and her boyfriend are talking about Superman's height and weight and he says something like "How tall would you say Clark is? About 6'5"? And about 180 lbs?" and then Clark does something clumsy and waves stupidly at them and they just laugh because it's so absurd. Superman's disguise is not glasses, it's his whole personality and literally everything he does. Everyone who know him see him as the exact opposite of superman and people who don't know him probably doesn't think twice about the dude who looks somewhat familiar.

On topic, I kind of expect the tournament to be canceled halfway through by a villian attack or Midoriya doing something dumb and breaking all his bones again after which it'll just skip to after the tournament. But I really hope not.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
If Todoroki really wants to piss off his dad he should get All Might to be his mentor, or just become an accountant.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Man with Hat posted:

I liked how Superman Returns handled this. Lois and her boyfriend are talking about Superman's height and weight and he says something like "How tall would you say Clark is? About 6'5"? And about 180 lbs?" and then Clark does something clumsy and waves stupidly at them and they just laugh because it's so absurd. Superman's disguise is not glasses, it's his whole personality and literally everything he does. Everyone who know him see him as the exact opposite of superman and people who don't know him probably doesn't think twice about the dude who looks somewhat familiar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIaF0QKtY0c

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Man with Hat posted:

On topic, I kind of expect the tournament to be canceled halfway through by a villian attack

That would be a little too Naruto, I think.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I think the main question for the tournament is who Bakugou is going to lose to, because we're absolutely still in the "Bakugou gets all his dumb bullshit beaten out of him" part of his character development. I'd like to see it be Iida or Yaoyorozu, personally. Todoroki is also possible, but that seems a little too obvious, and I think it'd be a waste to have him up against Deku again.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

chumbler posted:

I think the main question for the tournament is who Bakugou is going to lose to, because we're absolutely still in the "Bakugou gets all his dumb bullshit beaten out of him" part of his character development. I'd like to see it be Iida or Yaoyorozu, personally. Todoroki is also possible, but that seems a little too obvious, and I think it'd be a waste to have him up against Deku again.

mineta :haw:

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Man with Hat posted:

I'm personally a fan of that in conjunction with the idea that most people just don't think Superman has a secret identity. He's Superman, why would he need one? To the average person he's more of a mythic figure who flies around helping out the average joe all the time, as well as saving the world - not some schmuck working in a newspaper office.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

chumbler posted:

How about Kirishima, the Invulnerable dude who's the closest thing he has to a friend?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Or how Superman's identity was used for building OTHER characters. Like Lex Luthor hiring a computer scientist to use data analysis to determine his identity, which she correctly figures is Clark Kent. Lex rejects this though since he can't comprehend someone of Superman's power having an identity that doesn't let him exert or take advantage of the obvious power and influence he has.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Franky Quietly does a really good job of selling Clark Kent's disguise in All Star Superman, the difference if how Clark carries and handles himself makes you swear its a different character he's drawing.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Avulsion posted:

How about Kirishima, the Invulnerable dude who's the closest thing he has to a friend?

Also possible, I just forgot about him. I don't think he'd work as well since he's as immature as Bakugou is. But then maybe that would mean he'd be more effective at calling him out. Man, Bakugou is such an interesting character, and I really look forward to seeing how he develops. I guess I'm starting to see why Vegetas are always popular.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I hope the martial arts guy with the tail wins.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Wonder if they'll institute any kind of handicap, assuming stuff like Todoroki's ability to simply freeze people in place is common knowledge. Depending on the match-ups, some fights may not last more than a couple seconds. Todoroki already stomped the martail artist kid once if it ever comes down to them, though I wouldn't mind learning since they've faced off before that the latter devised some kind of counter-strategy.

Too bad they couldn't end on a filled-out bracket to give us a better sense of who's facing who. Deku's pretty much doomed to have to go up against one of his former teammates though.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Countblanc posted:

I hope the martial arts guy with the tail wins.

Guess we are finally going to see what his deal is. Also noticed that the navel laser guy is still in the game.

I wonder how Tokoyami (Shadow monster kid) would fare against the mind control dude...

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

kidcoelacanth posted:

Props to Mineta for that con. Though I do have to question the sexiness of American school cheerleader uniforms. Maybe you have to not be desensitized to it?

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

HOW DID I MISS THIS COMIC ALL THIS TIME?!

This is great. It's as if Fairy Tail was actually good. It had a billion characters with a billion abilities pretty fast, and I'm really not a fan of tournament arcs, but whatevs. I'm just surprised how smart the plot seems to be, and the characters are genuinely funny. I'm not quite sure what to think of the ice-fire dude, though. He looks really generic, and he's just no fun. He's not even remotely as ridiculously fun as Bakugou! Oh well.

Also, All Might. Overpowered characters, best characters. I feel kinda bad for the dude - I hope he stays around forever... He's kind of got death flags all over him, but I feel like the comic would really lose something without the clashing artstyle!
"DYNAMIC ENTRY... THROUGH THE DOOR, LIKE A NORMAL PERSON!" :haw:

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I'm rooting for Tokoyami. He's turned out to be reliable and cool without trying to bring lots of attention to himself.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Neeksy posted:

I'm rooting for Tokoyami. He's turned out to be reliable and cool without trying to bring lots of attention to himself.

Tokoyami is pretty great. Also his name is the Japanese equivalent of "Darkevil Deathsatan" (I forgot what it actually means but I don't think that's far off the mark reallyOkay I looked it up and Tokoyami means "Eternal Darkness" and Fumikage is "Shadowy Step", so yeah), which is great.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Feb 24, 2015

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Man, Tsuyu is short.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

Waffleman_ posted:

Man, Tsuyu is short.

Yeah, I didn't notice because Deku and Mineta are also really short but next to the other girls she looks like she has Dwarfism.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

HellCopter posted:

Yeah, I didn't notice because Deku and Mineta are also really short but next to the other girls she looks like she has Dwarfism.

Frogs are very small creatures please don't judge.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Frog-ism also leads to poor posture.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I like that her body is weird and she's not just a supermodel with a frog face like some other series might do it.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

Man, Tsuyu is short.

she was squatting ribbit

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

She's not squatting very much. I checked because I thought of that.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

RatHat posted:

I like that her body is weird and she's not just a supermodel with a frog face like some other series might do it.

I'd like to note that everyone in that shot looks built as gently caress, like a bunch of people who are actually training to be superheroes.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Captain McStabbin posted:

I'd like to note that everyone in that shot looks built as gently caress, like a bunch of people who are actually training to be superheroes.

Especially Tooru.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Its cute that the most competent girls weakness is a little dweeb who cant control himself