Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

He may have a funny face, but he's THE BEST KONG
We're probably in for a rash of cartoons about "race-baiting" by the usual suspects after the Selma folks spoke so strongly about the film's importance to contemporary life during their Oscar acceptance speech. It was very well done, but boy is it going to make some people mad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Dazzling Addar posted:

We're probably in for a rash of cartoons about "race-baiting" by the usual suspects after the Selma folks spoke so strongly about the film's importance to contemporary life during their Oscar acceptance speech. It was very well done, but boy is it going to make some people mad.

More like a bunch of cartoons crapping on "Liberal Hollywood" for not giving American Sniper best picture. Plus, the Birdman Director is Mexican and he won best director and best picture.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Rob Rogers is really good at crazy eyes

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Broken Loose posted:

Wow, this is Onion levels of satire. Blacks aren't "good, ordinary citizens?"

Please tell me this is satire. :smith:

That part isn't what you think. In Finland of 1968 there would be very few black people around, any protest for blacks would be out of solidarity to South African or US blacks who aren't Finnish citizens. But yeah, Kari Suomalainen was a terrible reactionary.

The first time that the number of black people got into thousands was when Somali refugees started arriving through Soviet Union/Russia in the 1990s. And this, incidentally, is the strip that got him fired:

"I only asked if they had visas."

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Nenonen posted:

That part isn't what you think. In Finland of 1968 there would be very few black people around, any protest for blacks would be out of solidarity to South African or US blacks who aren't Finnish citizens. But yeah, Kari Suomalainen was a terrible reactionary.

The first time that the number of black people got into thousands was when Somali refugees started arriving through Soviet Union/Russia in the 1990s. And this, incidentally, is the strip that got him fired:

"I only asked if they had visas."

He's dead right?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I like how Muir just randomly decides to through words from other languages into the conversation.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.
Is that an actual language or is Muir a Holy Roller speaking in tongues?

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master
I think everything he's had the mom say is pretty basic phrasebook Japanese.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Small Frozen Thing posted:

He's dead right?

Wikipedia says he died in 1999.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
Good.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014

redstormpopcorn posted:

I think everything he's had the mom say is pretty basic phrasebook Japanese.
I've had some experience Japanese and I have no idea what Muir is trying to say. The verb and the particles make no sense to me.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

beepsandboops posted:

I've had some experience Japanese and I have no idea what Muir is trying to say. The verb and the particles make no sense to me.
I had to look up "mitsuzukeru" and I guess it's to gaze at...but what?

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Japanese is my native language, and I STILL don't have any loving idea what that dialogue means!

So it's normal Muir writing, in another words.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

"But I'm not spoofing on Williams!" he wrote in a comic about Brian Williams.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

achillesforever6 posted:

Rob Rogers is really good at crazy eyes

climate change was a republican phrase designed to be used instead of "global warming"

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

I googled for "o mi tsudzukeru" and found a bunch of transliterated anime lyrics containing the phrase "yume o mi tsudzukeru", which presumably should be "yume o mitsuzukeru" (literally "continue looking at that dream", but in English we would say "keep dreaming that dream").

Maybe Muir stumbled on that "o mi tsudzukeru" construction and thought it meant "continue doing [something]" because he didn't get that the "mi" part was supposed to be part of the verb, and he substituted "sore" ("that") in an attempt to have the mom say "continue doing that" (i.e. the breast pumping that Skye is sick of doing).

Muir Whisperer out

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

tacodaemon posted:

I googled for "o mi tsudzukeru" and found a bunch of transliterated anime lyrics containing the phrase "yume o mi tsudzukeru", which presumably should be "yume o mitsuzukeru" (literally "continue looking at that dream", but in English we would say "keep dreaming that dream").

Maybe Muir stumbled on that "o mi tsudzukeru" construction and thought it meant "continue doing [something]" because he didn't get that the "mi" part was supposed to be part of the verb, and he substituted "sore" ("that") in an attempt to have the mom say "continue doing that" (i.e. the breast pumping that Skye is sick of doing).

Muir Whisperer out
"I don't understand why mom told me to "keep loving that chicken" while I was pumping my milk."

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Dear Disappointed,

Because of the 2-week delay.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
This maybe could have beend a chance for some self awarenes from Tinsley but no -
:tinsley: I was doing it before it was cool

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Samurai Sanders posted:

I find this extra hilarious because I know you used to live in Japan as an English teacher.

Flectarn
May 29, 2013
latuff owns

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

corn in the bible posted:

climate change was a republican phrase designed to be used instead of "global warming"
no

Luntz advocated using it, but it was in use for perfectly legitimate reasons long before that.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Well if even the liberal character admits willing fresh-faced Democrats are lining for shankings courtesy of Obama, it must be true!

Stefu
Feb 4, 2005

Some more racist Kari Suomalainen cartoons:

"Recently arrived child patient from Sarajevo."

"Previously: Finnish clerk sells Finnish shirts / Now: Finnish clerk sells shirts from Thailand or elsewhere / Future: A clerk from Thailand or elsewhere sells shirts made in Thailand or elsewhere"

"In addition to traffic in drugs, there is traffic in people. At times, a test group of "refugees" will be sent. / If it gets through, the word will go around, and no hotels will be enough to hold all of the newcomers..."

"More humanitarian aid!"

The thing to rememeber here, which these cartoons don't show, is that Kari is really the alpha and omega of Finnish political cartooning - so well-esteemed that even his racist reactionary views (which became really obvious after 1990) didn't really ruin his reputation completely. Like Herblock squared, in terms of this effect on Finnish political cartooning.

Of course, showing this is quite difficult, as his good cartoons (and, again, he was quite reactionary even when he was good) would require an indepth knowledge of Finnish politics in the 50s-70s, knowledge of his inside jokes etc.

Stefu fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Feb 23, 2015

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet
Good News Bad News

Äbbas? According to the Daily Beast:
Palestinian Dictator Mahmoud Abbas Gets a Free Pass
"The supposedly moderated president hugs a genocidal tyrant and bans elections while the world remains silent. Which “moderate” Arab president publicly hugged the genocidal leader of Sudan last week? Which Middle Eastern “reformer” just entered his 10th year of a four-year term? Which Western “ally” days ago ordered an investigation into a cartoonist for possibly drawing Mohammed? The answer is Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas. These three stories barely made it into Western press. Why? Put simply, the bar has been set so low that they were not deemed newsworthy. An Arab leader who doesn’t allow elections? Yawn. A Middle Eastern president who embraces one of the worst mass murderers in recent history? Nothing to see here. There is a tragic disconnect between Western rhetoric and Arab reality. Abbas, if one listens to leaders of the free world, is a moderate, reformer and ally. He is better than Hamas, after all, isn’t he?"-more
The LSW (Long Suffering Wife) mails our haggadahs out from our local post office here in Israel. So if you want to make sure you'll get yours in time, you've got to order now! For details go to http://store.drybones.com
Labels: Abbas, King Solomon, PLO, terror, Terrorism

Double Standard

The NY Times is a wonderful example of the anti Israeli double standard at work.

photo in NY Times report on Egyptian attack:

A man in southern Egypt mourns a group of Egyptian Christians who were beheaded by a Libyan arm of the Islamic State group.

photo in NY Times report on Jordanian attack:

King Abdullah II of Jordan, left, offered his condolences on Thursday to Safi al-Kasasbeh, the father of First Lt. Moaz al-Kasasbeh, in Karak, Jordan.

photo in NY Times report on Israeli attack:

Israeli troops patrolled the Israeli-occupied sector of the Golan Heights on Sunday.
An Israeli helicopter strike in Syria killed five Hezbollah fighters on Sunday, including the son of the group’s slain military commander, Imad Mughniyeh, Hezbollah said as a member briefed on the episode described the attack as a provocative move by Israel.
Labels: Double Standard, Egypt, Israel, Jordan, NY Times

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

JaggerMcDagger posted:

Palestinian Dictator Mahmoud Abbas Gets a Free Pass
The supposedly moderated president hugs a genocidal tyrant

Abbas hugged Netanyahu?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Oh the poor Israeli Army, successfully carrying out a bombing and killing a person they were targeting.
Why wont the world show sympathy for their circumstances? :qq:

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

JaggerMcDagger posted:

Double Standard

It's really sad how little support western countries give to Israel. Probably not even a drop of military aid in the last 50 years.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Oh the poor Israeli Army, successfully carrying out a bombing and killing a person they were targeting.
Why wont the world show sympathy for their circumstances? :qq:

Hezbollah are ideologically opposed to Isis. This bombing probably helped Isis more than anything else. Good job Kirschen :rolleyes:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Kegluneq posted:

Hezbollah are ideologically opposed to Isis. This bombing probably helped Isis more than anything else. Good job Kirschen :rolleyes:

Uh they're all members of the Axis of Evil, they may pretend to be hostile to each other but we know what happens behind closed doors!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oEA6zK_8u8

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Have any Israeli soldiers been injured or slain fighting ISIS? Has Israel in any non-hypothetical way been inconvenienced by the emergence of a muslim-slaughtering theocracy significantly more brutal than their own? I tried googling it, and the most relevant hits were about how any charity workers who helped Palestinians deserve to get killed by ISIS. :smith:

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

forbidden lesbian posted:

The only thing I know about LF is that it's coming back next tuesday.

Guess I'll See You Next Tuesday then :wink:

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

tacodaemon posted:

Muir Whisperer out

It's honestly kind of impressive. Most cartoonists would have just plugged it into Google Translate* and been done with it, but he went the extra mile and really mangled the language.

*It comes out as "koto o yari tsuzukeru" in case anyone was wondering.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

I wonder why he left out countries like Iran, who are currently bombing ISIL as we speak.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Ralepozozaxe posted:

I wonder why he left out countries like Iran, who are currently bombing ISIL as we speak.

Yakov Kirschen believes that "Islam" is a parasitic brain-slug that takes control of its formerly-human host and makes them forcibly part of the hivemind of terror. He's made several cartoons explicitly stating that Iran was the exact same thing as Boko Haram. This here cartoon says that Israel is fighting ISIS by bombing the Hezbollah.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

alnilam posted:

Could Allie spawn an edit so dumb, even he couldn't stand it?

Seeing how Allie himself is a GamerGate supporter, he probably liked the edit. (And it's nearly as much work as he's putting out these days.)

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's Monday, new Kelly!

An Oscars happened?

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

D.N. Nation posted:

Seeing how Allie himself is a GamerGate supporter, he probably liked the edit. (And it's nearly as much work as he's putting out these days.)

Remind me, what did he say or do in that vein?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Saint Sputnik posted:

Remind me, what did he say or do in that vein?

Made some tweets that I'm not going to bother digging up on my phone

• Locked thread