Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

Nierbo posted:

Thats funny but horrible at the same time.

I just found out that a guy I train with did BJJ there for 2 years before figuring out that he was wasting his time and the coach was a dolt. Two years wasted. Imagine how pissed you'd be when you went to a real gym.

Also I was wrong: guy's been running the BJJ club at my uni since 1998. Apparently there's something like a 90% turnover yearly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

ICHIBAHN posted:

Think I'm going to try another gym. I'm relatively happy at Gracie Barra but there author, slightly more extensive gym that offers much more mat time for beginners. Would there be any animosity with me trying somewhere else (not necessarily changing yet). What about taking some classes at both gyms. Is that something i should try to avoid or conceal?

Doesn't GB require you to sign a contract? Something else to consider I suppose, if you're thinking about trying to get out of it.

A lot of gyms also have "Open Mat" once or twice a week as well to encourage anyone/everyone from any school to pop by and roll. I've rolled with a few people from other schools who are just at our gym for the night to check things out, and we have a few guys who regularly go to the Open Mat for other gyms ( inc. GB ) and post in our Facebook page and it's generally encouraged.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Can someone point me to escapes from the back crucifix position, or is it a position where you're just sorta hosed for letting them get to there in the first place and ya shouldn't have let them get it.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

TollTheHounds posted:

Doesn't GB require you to sign a contract? Something else to consider I suppose, if you're thinking about trying to get out of it.

Nah just a direct debit. No length specific contract.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

KildarX posted:

Can someone point me to escapes from the back crucifix position, or is it a position where you're just sorta hosed for letting them get to there in the first place and ya shouldn't have let them get it.
Number one. You shouln't be lettting yourself get into that position so which entries are being used on you. Number two Are we discussing gi or no gi?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Yuns posted:

Number one. You shouln't be lettting yourself get into that position so which entries are being used on you. Number two Are we discussing gi or no gi?

No GI, I usually get crucified after a botched thread the needle to escape side control so they rotate around my body and do the dive over one. or I accidentally leave my arm behind after moving from reverse kesa to kesa.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Free your arm that is trapped by their legs first, by pulling your elbow as close to your body as possible then kind of limp arming.

Mortley
Jan 18, 2005

aux tep unt rep uni ovi
I started at an MMA dojo (not a fighting gym) for exercise and I guess to learn a little about martial arts. Is there a compendium of the vocab used in places like that (e.g. "plank out" meaning "use an arm to stabilize yourself in grappling")?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Mortley posted:

an MMA dojo (not a fighting gym)

a what now

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Mortley posted:

"plank out"
You mean post out?

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Planking is what I do when I get jabbed

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Planking is what I do to work on my core muscles.

Mortley
Jan 18, 2005

aux tep unt rep uni ovi

Kekekela posted:

You mean post out?

I think I did mean that. I don't know how to explain what this gym is because this isn't my world; I just tried to repeat what I had heard.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

A lot of the lingo changes from place to place, just keep going and roll with it.

What do you mean by an "MMA dojo" versus a "fighting gym" though? It sounds like you might've been sold some lies.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Nierbo posted:

Ligur, you're one of my favourite posters on here but I have to call you out on sometihng. Multiple times Ive seen you reference something along the lines of `increase speed but not power` or ì told them to punch faster, not harder`.

Lots of people already responsed to this while I was probated for insulting a mod, but this was one of my favourites:

kimbo305 posted:

Scientifically, don't tense the muscles working against the punch, and emphasize tensing at the start of the motion and at the very end just before you land.

I try to tell people to punch "loose". If you tell people who are not natural punchers or not very trained to strike "hard" or with "power" they will very often start forcing the issue. They push, shove, and tense their muscles far too much for it to be efficient - and end up working against themselves like kimbo here describes! It also tires you very fast.

Sometimes telling a person to forget about power but to be as loose or fast as he or she can be actually makes them punch harder! They might stop shoving into the punch and tensing their muscles to create force, but instead will whip their limb at the target. If they are using body rotation correctly, then *smack* that there actually is the power. But you sometimes have to cheat people a little when you try to make them do something properly :)

A former boxer from a neighbouring gym has famously said several times every knockout or knockdown he ever scored almost surprised even himself: they were never punches he was trying to throw particularly hard but always those beautifully set up, loose and relaxed ones which catch the opponent unawares or coming in.

Somewhat related: It's incredibly hard to KO or knock down a person who is accustomed to being hit. Seriously. Take your average boxer or even a hobbyist who spars often and hit him in the head as hard as you can, chances are he isn't going down. He will instinctively know how to brace against the punch and tuck his jaw. It's always the punches they don't see or run into which take them down.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

A lot of the lingo changes from place to place, just keep going and roll with it.

What do you mean by an "MMA dojo" versus a "fighting gym" though? It sounds like you might've been sold some lies.

Yeah. Umm maybe post the gym or some more details?

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
I'm laughing about the idea of having a "Boxing Dojo" not a boxing gym :stonklol:

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
Any tips for shadow boxing for a beginner?

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
Am I wrapping too tightly if my hands get a bit sore from it during the first third of Muay Thai class? I don't seem to be seriously cutting off circulation, and midway through class the wraps and or my hands will loosen up and feel better. Any looser at the start and they tend to start unraveling throughout class. Or do I just need to get better at this?

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

ManOfTheYear posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMBWfrErX9U

Hawgh
Feb 27, 2013

Size does matter, after all.

ManOfTheYear posted:

Occasionally pick a spot on the floor and pretend there's a dude you're fighting there. Maintain range to this fictional opponent.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Decades posted:

Am I wrapping too tightly if my hands get a bit sore from it during the first third of Muay Thai class? I don't seem to be seriously cutting off circulation, and midway through class the wraps and or my hands will loosen up and feel better. Any looser at the start and they tend to start unraveling throughout class. Or do I just need to get better at this?

Sore where? The webbing between the thumb and index finger? Across the palm?

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
Basically feeling a little too crunched across the palm I guess, from wrapping horizontally around the hand. "Wrap less tightly there" must be the answer, but I'm struggling to find the sweet spot where by the end of the class I'm not getting tangled up in Thai pad velcro

Mortley
Jan 18, 2005

aux tep unt rep uni ovi

Xguard86 posted:

Yeah. Umm maybe post the gym or some more details?

I understood him to mean that we don't do "live fire" scenarios, so we're never actually trying to hurt each other, as people do in real MMA. Basically it's a much cheaper gym for casual people (or beginners like me) and serious guys who just got tired of the high prices and testosterone at the other places in town. I'd post the link but goons are weird. I don't care if I was lied to because this place is really inexpensive.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Definitely keep us updated on this strange anomaly known as an mma dojo.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Is it a school that offers mma along with krav and jujutsu?

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Mortley posted:

I understood him to mean that we don't do "live fire" scenarios, so we're never actually trying to hurt each other, as people do in real MMA. Basically it's a much cheaper gym for casual people (or beginners like me) and serious guys who just got tired of the high prices and testosterone at the other places in town. I'd post the link but goons are weird. I don't care if I was lied to because this place is really inexpensive.

Generally you dont try to hurt your training partners at any gym but i dont know what a live fire scenario is

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Decades posted:

Basically feeling a little too crunched across the palm I guess, from wrapping horizontally around the hand. "Wrap less tightly there" must be the answer

I don't do a single loop around my palm. Some wrap methods do.

As long as you are doing steps 7-9 securely, there shouldn't be many ways for the wrap to escape:
http://www.ringside.com/blog/boxing-tips-how-to-wrap-your-hands-the-right-way/

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Mortley posted:

I understood him to mean that we don't do "live fire" scenario

So, no sparring but pad work and compliant partner drills I suppose, or MMA stands for Mixed Martial Arms where they have guns and stuff, and nobody uses actual bullets.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I think he means there's no sparring, which makes me think "lovely mcdojo". But then he says it's really cheap, which means it could be cool. Who knows?

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
Or he means they don't compete or something. I dunno. I wouldn't call something like jits sparring "live fire". Live fire is competitions.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Decades posted:

Basically feeling a little too crunched across the palm I guess, from wrapping horizontally around the hand. "Wrap less tightly there" must be the answer, but I'm struggling to find the sweet spot where by the end of the class I'm not getting tangled up in Thai pad velcro

Every time you pass a wrap around your knuckles make a fist.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Just had a guy tell me he doesn't understand why anyone still boxes when you can go train ninjitsu

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
The secret powers of the ninja compel me.

Challenge him to a duel? Ninja vs boxing.

Anyway I rarely use and don't like Mexican style (= stretchy) wraps. Especially if they are super long I can even now, after wrapping my hands for million of times, get 'em a little too tight.

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

Rabhadh posted:

Just had a guy tell me he doesn't understand why anyone still boxes when you can go train ninjitsu

Who needs punches when you can stab fools with sweet ninja stars.We are all really wasting our time

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I'm usually against martial arts shaming but seriously, what is it with ninjitsu? We've had at least a handful of new students come in who claimed to have practiced ninjitsu in the past (some for several years) and they almost universally have really, really bad body mechanics.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Verisimilidude posted:

I'm usually against martial arts shaming but seriously, what is it with ninjitsu? We've had at least a handful of new students come in who claimed to have practiced ninjitsu in the past (some for several years) and they almost universally have really, really bad body mechanics.

You just don't know the secrets of ninjitsu. Baka Gaijin. Be prepared for some Hanzo steel to the throat for your impudence against dark and mysterious ninja.

cptInsane0
Apr 11, 2007

...and a clown with no head

Ligur posted:

The secret powers of the ninja compel me.

Challenge him to a duel? Ninja vs boxing.

Anyway I rarely use and don't like Mexican style (= stretchy) wraps. Especially if they are super long I can even now, after wrapping my hands for million of times, get 'em a little too tight.

Beats having super loose wraps that get looser every time you put on the pads.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Verisimilidude posted:

It's not a real thing, mostly. Even the worst TMA's were, at one point, an actual fighting style, and there's people who kinda gave a poo poo passing it on. Ninjutsu was 'rediscovered' and attracts only the weeaboo of the anime otaku, who feed off power fantasies. At best it's really lovely jiujitsu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Verisimilidude posted:

I'm usually against martial arts shaming but seriously, what is it with ninjitsu?

Here's a clip of what it is. A friend did/does that :stonklol:

edit: I have to say their Bujinkan style is less weapon and gear oriented and had more like locks and throws and holds and ummm yeah

Ligur fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Feb 23, 2015

• Locked thread