Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Martytoof posted:

I'm not sure where to click. I don't see anything related to 3D :(

Maybe i'm just looking at the wrong videos.

Don't use the app. You have to use the browser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Martytoof posted:

I'm not sure where to click. I don't see anything related to 3D :(

Maybe i'm just looking at the wrong videos.

Are you in the browser or the YouTube app? Needs to be the browser. 3d switch, if it is a 3d video, is lower right of touchscreen, that brings up he options.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can someone link one of those grips from before on Amazon? I just got a $75 gift card for my b-day.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh duh. Ok I've been trying to use the App. Thanks!

FormaldehydeSon
Oct 1, 2011

Fuzz posted:

This won't get you banned online, will it? Like I don't mean playing "backups" online, I just mean playing anything off the Gateway while you're connected to the internet. How does this work? Can it allow you to toss, say, ScummVM on there? Is there even a DS version of ScummVM? Because that would RULE.

no, there's no risk of getting banned unless you are actually playing "backups" :pirate: online. Even then, Nintendo has only recently started banning a small amount of people , and those bans all ended up expiring or being lifted a few days ago

also, there is ScummVM for DS but I just googled that and found that link and know nothing about it

FormaldehydeSon fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Feb 23, 2015

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Turtlicious posted:

Can someone link one of those grips from before on Amazon? I just got a $75 gift card for my b-day.

This is the only grip I've found that I think works for the N3DS: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-3DS-LL-...=item1e99de8d9a

It just looks kind of odd in the pictures and I don't want to spend that much on something I might not like. I'm getting desperate, the circle pad pro on the regular XL was perfect as a grip.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

katkillad2 posted:

This is the only grip I've found that I think works for the N3DS: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-3DS-LL-...=item1e99de8d9a

It just looks kind of odd in the pictures and I don't want to spend that much on something I might not like. I'm getting desperate, the circle pad pro on the regular XL was perfect as a grip.

That one looks way more comfy than the one I linked 2 pages back, but then again that one is only $7 shipped while this is the cost of a game. If the one I got ends up being lovely, I'll probably grab this thing, though... I like the longer arms on it.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

FormaldehydeSon posted:

no, there's no risk of getting banned unless you are actually playing "backups" :pirate: online. Even then, Nintendo has only recently started banning a small amount of people , and those bans all ended up expiring or being lifted a few days ago

also, there is ScummVM for DS but I just googled that and found that link and know nothing about it

I legit do not play any "backup" online (I own all the games, it's strictly for importing) and I ended up with a ban. Still not lifted last I checked. As of right now it's a fuckload of heresay and nobody has bothered actually looking into how the ban system works. Gateway has been quite about it so likely they don't even know.

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012
Is there a particular reason my computer would absolutely refuse to read the 4GB SD card that came with 3 day old 2DS, but have no problem reading the 32GB card that's been sitting in my Wii for the last year? I want to move my 2DS' SD card content to the bigger card, but it's not showing up in the storage device list in Windows.

Exioce
Sep 7, 2003

by VideoGames
Sorry for dumb question in advance. I want to transfer my games and saves from the 4gb sdhc card that came with my New 3DS to a 32gb sdhc card. Is it a simple case of copying the contents of one card to the other on a pc? Do I insert the 32gb into the 3DS first to have it format it correctly?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Exioce posted:

copy the contents of one card to the other on a pc

There you go.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

If you want you can format it in Windows first, but otherwise just copy the files from the old card to your PC, then copy them from your PC to the new card. The files and folder structure needs to be identical or it won't work.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Fuzz posted:

This won't get you banned online, will it? Like I don't mean playing "backups" online, I just mean playing anything off the Gateway while you're connected to the internet. How does this work? Can it allow you to toss, say, ScummVM on there? Is there even a DS version of ScummVM? Because that would RULE.

If you are still on the 9.2 firmware, there is a way to install custom firmware without having a Gateway 3DS. You do need to have an old DS flashcart lying around to initiate the process, though.

I am not a pirate either but 1) I like homebrew and 2) I have a weird problem with the way Nintendo handles digital downloads and I don't wanna be stuck with $300 in useless games in 10 years if Nintendo decides to get rid of their "permission servers" so I see this as kind of a safeguard.

Speaking of which, I really do recommend people buy physical copies when possible (besides for my personal gripes). I just found out my retail versions of Zelda: OoT and Cave Story are worth more used then when I bought them brand new.

SeANMcBAY posted:

There's been more people on lately since its a Club Nintendo reward. I'd be down for some goon matches even though I'm awful at it.

I saved a bunch of 3DS and WiiU codes for when something was on the store that I wanted. I've been trying for the past month to add these to my Club Nintendo account and it won't let me. If I am not logged in, it recognizes the title I am trying to register, and asks me to log in. When I log in and try to register the game, it tries to add it but it never does anything. I am assuming this has something to do with the "we're experiencing difficulties" message but it's been up there for literally a month.

Anyone else having this problem? I want my free Kid Icarus :(

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

Exioce posted:

Sorry for dumb question in advance. I want to transfer my games and saves from the 4gb sdhc card that came with my New 3DS to a 32gb sdhc card. Is it a simple case of copying the contents of one card to the other on a pc? Do I insert the 32gb into the 3DS first to have it format it correctly?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=3ds+file+copy+transfer&l=1

Can we change the title of the thread I don't think do a system transfer is helping anyone.

Nethilia
Oct 17, 2012

Hullabalooza '96
Easily Depressed
Teenagers Edition

Majority of Americans Literally Too Stupid to Know the Difference Between 3DS Systems, says Nintendo Rep; Therefore, Only Larger System

quote:

Yeah (laughs). Look, the face plates are super cool, but we're a different market. And now we have clear differentiation between those three systems. Before, there was a very limited difference between the 3DS and 3DS XL: other than size. It was the same resolution, same functionality... now, there's the 2DS, 3DS, and New 3DS XL, all of which have their own functionality and features. The different price points give it a clear message for consumers. The core audience... we weren't going to win with them on that decision. But we had to think about expanding the user base, we had to be able to market it and make it easy to pick up for consumers.

Bet your rear end there's still people calling in to Nintendo Customer Service asking about the difference anyways and buying 3DS games for their old as balls DS Lite with a cracked hinge that they swear to god, their child only plays surrounded by pillows and kitten farts, so the hinge must have snapped on its own.

That's all, going back to playing Pokemon Shuffle on my 3DSXL like a scrub.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Contempt for your audience is a beautiful thing.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

He's right though? Weren't people complaining about Nintendo's terrible naming? Having one less thing to deal with is probably a good thing

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

(laughs)

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

He's right though? Weren't people complaining about Nintendo's terrible naming? Having one less thing to deal with is probably a good thing

I mean, even if he is right about people being confused over the naming conventions, his company is responsible for that massive gently caress up.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
He doesn't mean "differentiation" in the sense that they get confused when they see five different boxes, they mean that standard 3DS has very little traction in the NA market - people who care get the XL and people who want the cheap option buy the 2DS, there's not a lot of middle ground - so they didn't want to release another model that people would just ignore.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

noirstronaut posted:

I mean, even if he is right about people being confused over the naming conventions, his company is responsible for that massive gently caress up.

Yes, but also who cares.

This threads advice for the last year+ has been "Yes get the xl" nobody in America wants the dainty system beyond those face plates, which there's no drat reason they couldn't have put on the xl. Well maybe not nobody, but I feel safe assuming most people who want a n3ds wont have 'no tiny version available' as the factor that makes them not buy it.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

This is America, where a "small" drink is 24oz. Get used to it. Nobody wants your silly babby 3DS here. :fsmug:

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
For what it's worth, I'm not buying a New 3DS because I'm holding out hope for the smaller model. The off-white model with famicom-style buttons caught my eye, as it's the first handheld Nintendo has put out in years with a color scheme that appeals to me and a non-glossy surface.

I'm probably in the minority, but not having the option to even import that model (thanks to region locking) sucks.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

He doesn't mean "differentiation" in the sense that they get confused when they see five different boxes, they mean that standard 3DS has very little traction in the NA market - people who care get the XL and people who want the cheap option buy the 2DS, there's not a lot of middle ground - so they didn't want to release another model that people would just ignore.

I'm curious to see how long it takes them to drop a new2DS on the market, because that's something that's inevitable with exclusive new3DS games coming.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm curious to see how long it takes them to drop a new2DS on the market, because that's something that's inevitable with exclusive new3DS games coming.

game.

Im really skeptical about how many n3ds only games they will make seeing as it splits their install base in the worst way. I think you will see a lot more games that are gimped but still work, or look a bit worse.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
With Nintendo probably only selling the new XL and 2DS from here on out, I can't see them not announcing at least 5 New exclusives over the next 6 months with 2 or 3 being Wii games.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
They'll probably just include the NFC reader as a pack-in with the 2DS and be done with it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bombadilillo posted:

game.

Im really skeptical about how many n3ds only games they will make seeing as it splits their install base in the worst way. I think you will see a lot more games that are gimped but still work, or look a bit worse.

I figure as much too, but it's still going to need a new2DS to cover the inevitable big-name "this is what it can do now" title/s they drop at e3's Nintendo Direct. The new3DSXL is basically a new console for certain intents and purposes, which means it's on its launch year - whatever got pushed for launch has been announced or is out (Majora's Mask was put up as a n3DS launcher advertising-wise as much as Xenoblade), and everyone else is playing catch-up to develop something over the following year. e3's right around the time companies are likely to have something showable done, with a release a few months after.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Ah, yes, the New 2DS with improved 3D tracking.

If you really think the Nu3DS is a new console for Nintendo of Japan instead of just a revision, I don't know what to tell you. I do know I own a copy of the only exclusive DSi game ever released in Europe: Face Training. That's how many exclusive games that "new" system got.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Feb 23, 2015

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

I had just enough coins for DKCR so I got it, is there any non-obvious difference between the two modes? I know sometimes games lock content off into harder modes so it'd suck if I chose the more lenient one and found out 20 hours in I'd miss out on a super cool final level or something.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Saoshyant posted:

You're forgetting the improved processing hardware, which was my point. That 2D display's as stable as it's gonna get :v:.

Saoshyant posted:

If you really think the Nu3DS is a new console for Nintendo of Japan instead of just a revision, I don't know what to tell you. I do know I own a copy of the only exclusive DSi game ever released in Europe: Face Training. That's how many exclusive games that "new" system got.

This is not what I said, I was using a comparison. Anything that's going to be exclusively using the new3DS hardware is likely going to be built from scratch starting around the time the console's released, so you're looking at e3 being around when playable builds of anything are going to show up.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Feb 23, 2015

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Given Amiibo in imagining right now how wildly their faceplates would be selling if they were released here and word got it that they're hard to get on Twitter. Those things are basically pure profit margin I would think.

Also I have heard people say you can't do SNES games on 3DS because it's higher resolution than the 3DS screen, but I watched a YouTube video of some SNES games on my 3DS the other day, and you know what? The scaling looked loving fine. This is a business strategy choice, not a "can't be done" choice.

greatn fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Feb 23, 2015

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Saoshyant posted:

its got better graphics in mh4 and xenoblade is exclusive. otherwise, nothin

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Bravely Second comes out in Japan in April, but has Nintendo/Square-Enix said anything about how long the wait will be for the english version?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

greatn posted:

Given Amiibo in imagining right now how wildly their faceplates would be selling if they were released here and word got it that they're hard to get on Twitter. Those things are basically pure profit margin I would think.

Also I have heard people say you can't do SNES games on 3DS because it's higher resolution than the 3DS screen, but I watched a YouTube video of some SNES games on my 3DS the other day, and you know what? The scaling looked loving fine. This is a business strategy choice, not a "can't be done" choice.

You are really adamant about emulation options that are just good enough rather than being fully featured and 99% accurate like Nintendo wants. Accurate SNES emulation on PC requires like a 3+ GHz processor. People have gotten SNES emulation to work via homebrew, sure, but I'm pretty sure it was only "good enough."

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

I said come in! posted:

Bravely Second comes out in Japan in April, but has Nintendo/Square-Enix said anything about how long the wait will be for the english version?

1-2 years from April, like most S-E games is a good guess.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

ChaosArgate posted:

You are really adamant about emulation options that are just good enough rather than being fully featured and 99% accurate like Nintendo wants. Accurate SNES emulation on PC requires like a 3+ GHz processor. People have gotten SNES emulation to work via homebrew, sure, but I'm pretty sure it was only "good enough."

What the christ is this supposed to mean? I was emulating SNES poo poo on a 200mhz Pentium laptop 15 years ago. It might not have been "perfect" but it sure as poo poo was accurate.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Nintendo demands perfection out of their emulation, not "close enough". Yeah, they could dump everything on the eshop tomorrow if they wanted...but there's a reason every single virtual console game comes with a specially tweaked version of the emulator.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

ChaosArgate posted:

gba runs perfectly on the 3ds for the same reason ds stuff works on it. it's native code and that's how the ambassador games worked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Fart Sandwiches posted:

What the christ is this supposed to mean? I was emulating SNES poo poo on a 200mhz Pentium laptop 15 years ago. It might not have been "perfect" but it sure as poo poo was accurate.

Tested.com has a really good article about this. I'm not linking it directly as it has links to emulators embedded in it just in case, but here's two relevant quotes;

quote:

It is possible for a well-optimized, speed-oriented SNES emulator to run at full speed using only 300MHz of processing power. You will also end up with hundreds of obscure bugs.

quote:

[Those] who only plays the most popular twenty or so titles will see no visible differences between an emulator requiring 300MHz and another requiring 3GHz, so they will of course go with the former.

Nintendo has no intention of settling for the former.