Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Is testu like Nibblesnarf in the last game, where I can make him eat bombs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

deadly_pudding posted:

I've been in a lot of pub groups that aren't terrible, but that's also around HR 2 still, so that could just be low skill requirements talking.

Is there a list somewhere of which quests give The Man more recipes? I'm sitting on Gore parts but I can't make any of his gear yet. I'm just getting into the Advanced Quests in the caravan line, with the single Frenzy Tigrex and friends.

Recipes are shown to you only if you have the first material in the recipe's list.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Saigyouji posted:

Recipes are shown to you only if you have the first material in the recipe's list.

AH, that'll do it. Neither of the Gores I've fought have dropped feelers for me. I'll have to double down on that, thanks.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I treat the Charge Blade as something of a more mobile Gunlance and that seems to suit me well enough.

How's that work? I main Gunlance and it's quite mobile, but I treat it much like I do the great sword, in that my main combo is "stab from sheath, maybe fire a shell, holster and repeat" except for bosses where Wyvern's Fire and the ground slap/full shell discharge are in the rotation.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I treat the Charge Blade as something of a more mobile Gunlance and that seems to suit me well enough.

I've been using Charge Blade like a SnS that has a special "extra damage mode" when the monster is being cooperative, also making liberal use of the charged-shield shield bash move to get free phial bursts. I don't spend a whole lot of time in Axe mode unless it's a monster that you can hang out underneath a lot at low risk, like Gore or Rathian.

I might punish myself by going deep on axe mode against Frenzy Tigrex, though, because it's my understanding that the only shots against Tigrex are attacks of opportunity unless you get him in a trap or stun.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

deadly_pudding posted:

AH, that'll do it. Neither of the Gores I've fought have dropped feelers for me. I'll have to double down on that, thanks.

You have to break the Antenna when he goes frenzy mode. The good news is I think its a 100% drop if you do.

Protocol7 posted:

How's that work? I main Gunlance and it's quite mobile, but I treat it much like I do the great sword, in that my main combo is "stab from sheath, maybe fire a shell, holster and repeat" except for bosses where Wyvern's Fire and the ground slap/full shell discharge are in the rotation.

Unsheathing right into axe mode is really good damage. I spend most of my time in Axe mode or sheathed, using SnS for getting charges. The axe just does too much damage compared to the pitiful amount of the SnS.

Drythe fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Feb 23, 2015

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
x, x, a -> repeat until you run out of shells, then another double x and then do the dodge reload is some insane sustained damage on the gunlance that not many people use, i love the GL its full of so many unique + situational tricks, always makes me feel like there's more to learn using it

Does anyone have any good recommendations for LR greatsword armour sets? I have the Seltas Queen set for when i'm using my charge blade + gunlance, but I'd like a set for when i'm out chopping monsters instead of making them explode, does LR get any fastcharge or critdraw stuff?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Drythe posted:

I've just gone online to get feelers. Much easier when you have three others punch his face in.

Yeah, probably just have to wait until my buddies can play again to do it. I want his DBs and LBG sooo bad.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Tiger Millionaire posted:

x, x, a -> repeat until you run out of shells, then another double x and then do the dodge reload is some insane sustained damage on the gunlance that not many people use, i love the GL its full of so many unique + situational tricks, always makes me feel like there's more to learn using it

Does anyone have any good recommendations for LR greatsword armour sets? I have the Seltas Queen set for when i'm using my charge blade + gunlance, but I'd like a set for when i'm out chopping monsters instead of making them explode, does LR get any fastcharge or critdraw stuff?

Just get Velocidrome armor set for really every blademaster set in LR. IT has attack up and half stun skills and thats all you really need. You cant get Fast charge/draw skills till G rank.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Diablos Armor comes with crit draw and quick sheath. Dah'Ren armor comes with punish draw and sharpener I believe

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

LR Crit Draw is only on the Diablos set (mats are traded for Brachy parts). Fast Charge is on the Mosgharl set, which requires bumblepumpkins to make. (Well, part of the Mosgharl set. The legs require Hercudromes to make, and the hat requires Novacrystals.)

Saigyouji fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Feb 23, 2015

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

kirbysuperstar posted:

Yeah, probably just have to wait until my buddies can play again to do it. I want his DBs and LBG sooo bad.

DB requires the plate I believe, have fun!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Drythe posted:

DB requires the plate I believe, have fun!

Not if you upgrade to it, thank god.

Granted I got a plate and used it to make shoes anyway :v:

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...
So....doing those group capture quests are certainly something. People blew 4 traps in the first 3 minutes of the fight (no visible signs of weakness of the monster). loving terrible.

Random question: Can you capture monsters when they're enraged?

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

kirbysuperstar posted:

Not if you upgrade to it, thank god.

Granted I got a plate and used it to make shoes anyway :v:

Unfortunately, you need a plate to upgrade the DB and LBG to their third Magala weapons. Also the IG, incidentally.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Dr. Carwash posted:

So....doing those group capture quests are certainly something. People blew 4 traps in the first 3 minutes of the fight (no visible signs of weakness of the monster). loving terrible.

Random question: Can you capture monsters when they're enraged?

I think? I captured a zantrios while it was inflated. No clue how we got that back to camp.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Drythe posted:

I think? I captured a zantrios while it was inflated. No clue how we got that back to camp.

Fun fact: Kill an inflated Blobshark, and you can all go inside him because hes now the coolest monster hunter fort around.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Fun fact: Kill an inflated Blobshark, and you can all go inside him because hes now the coolest monster hunter fort around.

If you use a shock trap on him while he's inflated he jiggles as well, had me laughing pretty good when I did it.

SpeedRazor
Feb 5, 2005

Cat Machine posted:

Is there any way to get more Super Mushrooms outside of the Capcom Beginners DLC?

Two 3DS systems/NNIDs will get you both, otherwise there will be DLC for more later.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Haquer posted:

If you use a shock trap on him while he's inflated he jiggles as well, had me laughing pretty good when I did it.

I love when he just rolls around. Hes the best monster :allears:

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I'd buy an inflatable Zamtrios body pillow.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Your love for Zamtrios will turn into hate you face the Tigerstripe subspecies. :argh:

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
I'm sorry but no matter how many times I probably will be carted by Tiger shark, he's still an adorable balloon animal and I can't stay mad at him.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Sage Grimm posted:

I'm sorry but no matter how many times I probably will be carted by Tiger shark, he's still an adorable balloon animal and I can't stay mad at him.

Monster Hunter Megathread: Wanna pette that wyvernne

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

The first time I fought him I carted when he inflated due to laughter.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

I thought my game glitched out the first time I fought Zamtrios. I still don't understand what they hell they were thinking, but I like it.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

I hope Zamtrios ends up achieving some kind of mascot/cult status around him. I'd love a toy or keychain.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Zamtrios plushies

E: Zamtrios Amiibos

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
I've officially reached a point of frustration. Gathering Hall Shagaru Magala. First off, he doesn't show up in the list of monsters when you're searching for rooms, so there's no easy way to find a group for it. Maybe that changes once you've beaten him, but I'm on the urgent to get into 7* and can't right now.

Second, his biggest weakness is dragon, which is great, except the only dragon charge blade (outside of G rank) is the Gore Magala line, which requires low rank Shagaru parts to upgrade, and I can't find a way to farm that fight short of helping people do their urgent (which I again can't search for). I don't know of a low rank version existing in the Caravan quests other than the required urgent, which disappears after completion. There's the one in 6*, but it's an Advanced that shows up at random, and I'm 99% sure it's actually a high rank quest.

I suppose I could make a thunder weapon for the fight, but I haven't unlocked Rajang, so that's out too. Which leaves me with doing a fire weapon that I've just had awful luck upgrading. Or I stick with my trusty poison weapon, and hope that I eventually push through this wall I've hit. Anybody got thoughts?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Zamtrios plushies

E: Zamtrios Amiibos

Level Slide posted:

I'd buy an inflatable Zamtrios body pillow.

A throw-pillow sized inflated Zamtrios would be pretty great. A cute thing to make my girlfriend really angry when it shows up in the mail :v:

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Cat Machine posted:

I hope Zamtrios ends up achieving some kind of mascot/cult status around him. I'd love a toy or keychain.

Seconded.

Also, is there any reason to use more than one secondary cat? I've been using the same one (the first one I got after the Ace) since I got him and while I've added to the reserves and got all healing for my first stringers, Meowteor has yet to leave the second-man spot. So he's way up there in levels with the Ace.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

G-Prime posted:

I've officially reached a point of frustration. Gathering Hall Shagaru Magala. First off, he doesn't show up in the list of monsters when you're searching for rooms, so there's no easy way to find a group for it. Maybe that changes once you've beaten him, but I'm on the urgent to get into 7* and can't right now.

Second, his biggest weakness is dragon, which is great, except the only dragon charge blade (outside of G rank) is the Gore Magala line, which requires low rank Shagaru parts to upgrade, and I can't find a way to farm that fight short of helping people do their urgent (which I again can't search for). I don't know of a low rank version existing in the Caravan quests other than the required urgent, which disappears after completion. There's the one in 6*, but it's an Advanced that shows up at random, and I'm 99% sure it's actually a high rank quest.

I suppose I could make a thunder weapon for the fight, but I haven't unlocked Rajang, so that's out too. Which leaves me with doing a fire weapon that I've just had awful luck upgrading. Or I stick with my trusty poison weapon, and hope that I eventually push through this wall I've hit. Anybody got thoughts?

The advanced heavens wheel is low rank - just do the steak quest/other quest to refresh your available quests.

SilverObul
Apr 19, 2008

Cockragon
Made a video of the weird down problem I've been having with the c-stick on the NN3DS. Figured it might be helpful if anyone else is seeing the same thing..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmQj9LvdFFY

Morton Salt Grrl
Sep 2, 2011

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
FRESH BLOOD

May their memory be a justification for genocide
God, the small monsters in this game are the loving worst. I was about to sleep bomb an azure rathalos when a konchu rolled from across the area and woke him up.

gently caress YOU KONCHU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Seconded.

Also, is there any reason to use more than one secondary cat? I've been using the same one (the first one I got after the Ace) since I got him and while I've added to the reserves and got all healing for my first stringers, Meowteor has yet to leave the second-man spot. So he's way up there in levels with the Ace.

If you want cats that do other things. Some have elemental damage or status effects on their attacks, some can give you buffs, some steal parts from monsters, one kind you start finding in HR will even offer to launch you at monsters for air attacks. They also have different team up moves with your Ace. Also the more of a kind you have in your 1st stringers the more abilities they'll give to your Ace. Right now I have 5 thievery cats and that apparently gives a bonus to steal rate or something and the one in the secondary slot also frequently poisons monsters. It's pretty nice.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Teddles posted:

God, the small monsters in this game are the loving worst. I was about to sleep bomb an azure rathalos when a konchu rolled from across the area and woke him up.

gently caress YOU KONCHU

Welcome to Monster Hunter, if it isn't roly poly Konchus it's the belligerent Rhenopolos charging in from your blind spot. Or snow ploughing Zamites.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Sage Grimm posted:

Welcome to Monster Hunter, if it isn't roly poly Konchus it's the belligerent Rhenopolos charging in from your blind spot. Or snow ploughing Zamites.

Most of my Yian Kut-Ku deaths in Freedom Unite were actually because of Bnahabra paralyzing me so that Kut-Ku could have his way with me.

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.
The cats have really defined roles so that makes it a good idea to have a few of them at useful levels.
Once I have time for it I'll probably have 3-4 teams.

1. Progression Cats - 4/5x Healing, possibly a buff cat tossed in to actually deploy. Mostly for when you're learning a new monster.
2. Farm Cats - 5x Stealing. Every time they steal is a chance at one of those 1% drops you need!
3. Gather Cats - 5x Gathering. Can cats gather charms? Doesn't matter, no reason to bring a buff cat when you're gathering.
4. Maybe Buff Cats? 2x Attack Buff, 2x Defense Buff, 1x Healing/Stamina. Give the Ace both buff horns, then take another forte. Probably only good for doing 2 player without a hunting horn though?

I guess you could try to make a team of offensive cats but I doubt that it's worth very much in damage.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Misandu posted:

The cats have really defined roles so that makes it a good idea to have a few of them at useful levels.
Once I have time for it I'll probably have 3-4 teams.

1. Progression Cats - 4/5x Healing, possibly a buff cat tossed in to actually deploy. Mostly for when you're learning a new monster.
2. Farm Cats - 5x Stealing. Every time they steal is a chance at one of those 1% drops you need!
3. Gather Cats - 5x Gathering. Can cats gather charms? Doesn't matter, no reason to bring a buff cat when you're gathering.
4. Maybe Buff Cats? 2x Attack Buff, 2x Defense Buff, 1x Healing/Stamina. Give the Ace both buff horns, then take another forte. Probably only good for doing 2 player without a hunting horn though?

I guess you could try to make a team of offensive cats but I doubt that it's worth very much in damage.

Yes cats can carry charms. They're friggen awesome to bring on harvest tours.

Single Player I've been rocking 2 heal cats and 3 trap cats. I get a little extra info about the monster and a little extra healing with some free antidotes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Sage Grimm posted:

If Capcom does make paid DLC, I'd be willing to pay for a "no more Rhenopolises ever" DLC.

• Locked thread