Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

JackMack posted:

That's interesting to hear. I was looking at them a lot when I was considering cutting their legs and torsos with forgeworld 30k marines to make it cheaper, have you ever used the normal armour?

I have one of their torsos, a power plant, their combi-weapon, several bionic arms, and a set of 5 Medieval legs. I've not glued the torso or legs to anything yet, but they all slot together with space marine bits very well. The legs do look 'off' compared to normal SM legs, but the torso and arms are perfectly fine when mixed with GW stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
Just finished this guy:

Surprisingly tricky to paint. I've always struggled with black. 3 more to go.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

spacegoat posted:

Just finished this guy:

Huggy

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Finished up five more Stormtroopers for this detachment. I need to paint up 5 more, a Commissar, and a pair of Tauroxes and the formation's done!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

spacegoat posted:

Just finished this guy:

And they've never remade this Carnifex, right? No Forgeworld remake, nothing? I like it a lot better than the various revamps they've put out over time. I mean, I love the plastic kit, but the 2nd edition ones are just so charming and weird. I'd love to see what an updated version would look like.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
The 2nd edition Hive Tyrant is loving glorious so are the Lictors from 2nd. The army just had amazing character in a lot of the models.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Feb 23, 2015

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
2nd edition nids looked alien, and not like hooved bug-dinosaurs

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Hollismason posted:

The 2nd edition Hive Tyrant is loving glorious so are the Lictors from 2nd. The army just had amazing character in a lot of the models.

I think we've finally found something you're right about.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I have no nostalgia for Rogue Trader and second edition and think second edition tyranids look loving stupid.

Fight me, nerd.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy
Final two lists at LVO

http://i.imgur.com/20KLApr.jpg

Can someone with a codex confirm the points on scouts as built?

Nids took the win.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Spore mines? What do spore mines do?

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
They're T1 W1 models that can Deep Strike, float 3" each movement phase, move half the distance rolled when they run or charge, and in assault explode at I10 and hit everyone under a large blast at S4 +1 for each mine exploding and AP4. They never score, never deny and never give up VPs.

e: oh ffs that'll teach me to serious post :mad:

adamantium|wang fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Feb 23, 2015

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe
#Lictorshame

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

Ghost Hand posted:

Final two lists at LVO

Nids took the win.

The last scout squad should be 120 instead of 130, because of no combi-grav.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Ghost Hand posted:

Final two lists at LVO

Nids took the win.

Camo cloaks are unlisted equipment which is what makes them 12ppm.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
I don't know poo poo about Tyranids, but that list owns because it looks like the guy threw it together in Notepad while hungover the morning of the tournament, and just like forgot to take any wargear before he mashed "print" and folded the thing up to jam in his pocket before slumping over to the local Waffle House to recover.

Seeing it compared to the BattleScribe list is just amazing, and could only be more perfect if the SM dude had like made up custom names for his units or something.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Star Man posted:

I have no nostalgia for Rogue Trader and second edition and think second edition tyranids look loving stupid.

Fight me, nerd.
I don't fight the mentally handicapped, sorry!

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Sickest burn 1994

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
Man, that's one miserable list to play against flyrants.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Ignite Memories posted:

Sickest burn 1994

Place flame template over his post

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Hra Mormo posted:

Man, that's one miserable list to play against flyrants.

Yeah, pretty much. I'm very happy that a Tyranid player won, especially with such an interesting build, but I doubt it was much of an "epic" battle. I'm curious exactly how the Lictors played, as they're generally pretty fragile.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
I'd like to shape my Space Hulk Genestealers into a Kill Team. Does anyone have any suggestions about what upgrades are more or less lovely? Adrenal Glands and Toxin Sacs seem pretty unnecessary in this format, but I'm hemming and hawing over Scything Talons and the Broodlord.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Sulecrist posted:

I'd like to shape my Space Hulk Genestealers into a Kill Team. Does anyone have any suggestions about what upgrades are more or less lovely? Adrenal Glands and Toxin Sacs seem pretty unnecessary in this format, but I'm hemming and hawing over Scything Talons and the Broodlord.

A Broodlord is a solid choice, as it can use its Psychic power to knock out a gun-toting model for a turn and make it easier to assault. Ultimately for Kill Team any upgrades you put into Genestealers are going to be a waste, simply because that means you're taking far heavier losses when they get shot. For Tyranids in Kill Team body-count is about the only advantage you've got.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

PierreTheMime posted:

A Broodlord is a solid choice, as it can use its Psychic power to knock out a gun-toting model for a turn and make it easier to assault. Ultimately for Kill Team any upgrades you put into Genestealers are going to be a waste, simply because that means you're taking far heavier losses when they get shot. For Tyranids in Kill Team body-count is about the only advantage you've got.

10 nekkid Genestealers and a Broodlord is 200 on the dot, so I'll try that out. Thanks for the input!

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.
I was too busy gettin' busy last night to cross this post, so y'all need to get ready for some plan b:

The Sex Cannon posted:

Finished my second Wyvern!

And the completed battery:

gently caress yo cover save, bruh

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

PierreTheMime posted:

Yeah, pretty much. I'm very happy that a Tyranid player won, especially with such an interesting build, but I doubt it was much of an "epic" battle. I'm curious exactly how the Lictors played, as they're generally pretty fragile.

The two finalist actually played each other in the first round of the tournament with the SM/BA player winning that match then the Tyranid player dominated the tournament and made it all the way back to the top table which is also a pretty amazing thing to do.

I watched the last game on their Twitch channel it was actually really close, they'll be posting the last game soon as they had it recorded. It started off really strong in favour of the SM/BA player because he used the Centurionstar for board control , the scouts all outflanked and then came on one board edge together then went for the objectives for the Primary.

It wasn't a sweep at all until toward the last turn where the Tyranid player just pummeled him into submission with Mawloc blasts and shooting.

It was actually a good game for the first few turns but then the Tyranid player completely dominated him in the last turn. I think he almost tabled him. If it would have went to the 6th turn he would have.

Tyranid guy was just a legitimately super strong player and that army is really good.It helps also if you notice he has a lot of mucolid spores to take up points in the troops because their ridiculously cheap.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Feb 23, 2015

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord
I'm too lazy to hunt them down myself, but I'd appreciate a link to the videos when they become available.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
They have video of all the top table matches from what I understand and will be posting them later in the week. I think being beaten by the SM/BA player in the previous round gave the Tyranid player a bit of a edge because toward the end he just took apart his army piece by piece. Like the whole game it's SM/BA lead then last turn , Tyranid player wins.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
I must say, the winning Tyranid list is completely different than I was expecting. It seems like the kind of list where any old schlub couldn't just use it and expect to dominate. It would have to be used in just the right way.

There has been a lot of complaining in the last couple years about how imbanced the game is now, but look at the LVO standings. There's a lot of variety in the entire standings and just as much in the top 20. I'm really interested to see what Adepticon brings. I actually do think 40k is moving in a good direction.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

Do templates and blasts just hit all floors of ruins now instead of choosing a floor? I can't find anything about ruins floors in this BRB.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

DO IT TO IT posted:

Do templates and blasts just hit all floors of ruins now instead of choosing a floor? I can't find anything about ruins floors in this BRB.

Yep. This is a rather significant change that often gets overlooked, to the point of people just doing it the old way to their own detriment. Spread out your dudes in Ruins.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
So I mentioned earlier that my crew is going to be running a yearlong 40k map-based campaign, and I thought I'd share the rules we're using.

This is Corvanus Prime, the planet we're fighting over. It's a hive world in the Obscurus Sector not far from the Eye of Terror. It's got a lot of precious mining materials and fossil fuels.

When we were coming up with the rules for our campaign, we had to make sure it would be accessible to the new players in our group, so we decided to cut down on bookkeeping in a couple of ways:
- Armies collect a pool of XP based on what they kill. XP from the pool can be allocated however you want.
- Strategem cards. Rather than have a bunch of poo poo on how this territory does X and having that one does Y, we just decided to make a big deck of cool-rear end cards with useful, but marginal, effects. Every turn you get one of these, plus you draw another one whenever you capture a territory. This helps provide a reward for winning, while also making it so the winner of the first few rounds doesn't steamroll the poo poo out of everyone afterward. These can be one-use, or having ongoing effects.

A few examples:

There are also some faction-specific cards. I've covered every faction except for Imperial Guard and Daemons (neither of which are in our campaign), but I'll get to them eventually.

I'm going to bring my Iron Warriors, just because they're already available for me to use where we'll be gaming.

If you'd like to see the rules we're using for the campaign, you can find them here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ZtB3meKOs4fuEFsvz8uKkaeUm8VM6fI2bmIWdTtE5BE/edit?usp=sharing

And if you'd like to download a set of the cards in printable sheets, you can find those here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1ffmptpgh5cviy1/Campaign_Cards_20150222.rar?dl=0

Anyways, let me know what you think, and if you use the rules with your crew, how they work out--we're interested in getting feedback from people who have tried them out. Also if you have cool card ideas, feel free to share them. The basic idea with the faction-specific cards is that you shuffle them in before a player with that faction draws a card, then remove them after so someone can't get another faction's cards.

ANAmal.net and I will probably post updates as the campaign goes on.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

DO IT TO IT posted:

Everything under the template, bro. Burn, baby, burn!

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

DO IT TO IT posted:

Yeah, this is the only way I was able to bloody the nose of a ridiculous Tau battlesuit list at a tournament I went to. He had a big squad stacked up in a building and my Thunderfire Cannon almost wiped out the entire group of them in one round of shooting. I don't like the rule, but I liked what it did for me that day!

TheChirurgeon posted:

So I mentioned earlier that my crew is going to be running a yearlong 40k map-based campaign, and I thought I'd share the rules we're using.
This owns, and I'm jealous you have the group to play that. My gaming group has really cooled on 40k, and my regular opponent/ride to that group is having a kid any day now so he's not around either.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
What repository is everyone using for Battlescribe now? I'm having all sorts of trouble with Randomhit/Battlescribedata.appspot right now on my phone...

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

TheChirurgeon posted:

This owns.

quote:

Who wins the campaign?
Man, who cares. Just have fun. Christ.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

TheChirurgeon posted:

Seriously, this is rad as hell. I'm also jealous as hell.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

TheChirurgeon posted:

Anyways, let me know what you think, and if you use the rules with your crew, how they work out--we're interested in getting feedback from people who have tried them out. Also if you have cool card ideas, feel free to share them. The basic idea with the faction-specific cards is that you shuffle them in before a player with that faction draws a card, then remove them after so someone can't get another faction's cards.

This stuff owns, man. You should finish writing up the stratagems for IG and Demons so I can steal 'em!

Seriously, though. I wish I was in your gaming group.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Hollismason posted:

The two finalist actually played each other in the first round of the tournament with the SM/BA player winning that match then the Tyranid player dominated the tournament and made it all the way back to the top table which is also a pretty amazing thing to do.

I watched the last game on their Twitch channel it was actually really close, they'll be posting the last game soon as they had it recorded. It started off really strong in favour of the SM/BA player because he used the Centurionstar for board control , the scouts all outflanked and then came on one board edge together then went for the objectives for the Primary.

It wasn't a sweep at all until toward the last turn where the Tyranid player just pummeled him into submission with Mawloc blasts and shooting.

It was actually a good game for the first few turns but then the Tyranid player completely dominated him in the last turn. I think he almost tabled him. If it would have went to the 6th turn he would have.

Tyranid guy was just a legitimately super strong player and that army is really good.It helps also if you notice he has a lot of mucolid spores to take up points in the troops because their ridiculously cheap.

Tyranid player did quite well but he and Nick Nanevati(sp) tied in the first round of top 8 and he squeaked by with the smallest of margins on battle points. So many good players at this event. It's crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Looking through the top armies and lists, the distribution is really varied. I know nothing about the format or what kinds of games they played, but that's really cool. Middle tier seems to be dominated by the stuff we regularly complain about- wave serpents, imperial knights, etc. Seems like the top armies are much less of a single gimmick though- just a strong flexible army lead by a really good player.

I'm surprised in a good way.

• Locked thread