Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
There must be more arena quests than the two I have access to right now, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumpy
Dec 28, 2008

Nap Ghost
I'd rather fight a giant Rhenoplos or Konchu. A huge Konchu with baby Konchus piled on!

Honestly the not-a-horrific-hellbeast monsters are some of my favorites. It's a shame they don't get more of a spotlight outside of the dumb collectathon quests.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

If they get rid of Rhenopolis they will be replaced with bulfangos

Bread Set Jettison fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Feb 23, 2015

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Evil Mastermind posted:

If Capcom does make paid DLC, I'd be willing to pay for a "no more Rhenopolises ever" DLC.

Rhenopolis Genocide DLC: Adds a mission where you have to kill several of them. Costs $9.99.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

G-Prime posted:

I've officially reached a point of frustration. Gathering Hall Shagaru Magala. First off, he doesn't show up in the list of monsters when you're searching for rooms, so there's no easy way to find a group for it. Maybe that changes once you've beaten him, but I'm on the urgent to get into 7* and can't right now.

Second, his biggest weakness is dragon, which is great, except the only dragon charge blade (outside of G rank) is the Gore Magala line, which requires low rank Shagaru parts to upgrade, and I can't find a way to farm that fight short of helping people do their urgent (which I again can't search for). I don't know of a low rank version existing in the Caravan quests other than the required urgent, which disappears after completion. There's the one in 6*, but it's an Advanced that shows up at random, and I'm 99% sure it's actually a high rank quest.

I suppose I could make a thunder weapon for the fight, but I haven't unlocked Rajang, so that's out too. Which leaves me with doing a fire weapon that I've just had awful luck upgrading. Or I stick with my trusty poison weapon, and hope that I eventually push through this wall I've hit. Anybody got thoughts?

Uhhhh you should be able to do Caravan Shagaru Malgala over and over at the same difficulty as the urgent. I farmed him to make the upgraded Gore Switch-axe. Didn't go online. You're missing a quest somewhere or something. Did you check 6* and 7*? Its in there somewhere...

greth
Nov 12, 2008

Does it trouble your mind the way you trouble mine?
I need to make sure I'm not going mad -- you weren't able to lay down a trap if there was already a trap on the ground in 3U, right? Because I noticed I could do that yesterday now in 4U and I actually giggled aloud in disbelief.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Chumpy posted:

I'd rather fight a giant Rhenoplos or Konchu. A huge Konchu with baby Konchus piled on!

Honestly the not-a-horrific-hellbeast monsters are some of my favorites. It's a shame they don't get more of a spotlight outside of the dumb collectathon quests.

A Slagtoth came up while I was mining some ore during a gathering quest and slowly dropped the hammer on me. I went flying but because I was adjacent to the level geometry I was stuck mid-air flailing on top of its head for a couple seconds.

I left them alone. Hero slagtoths will live to passively graze another day.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Oh, a Tetsucabra hunt-a-thon. Killed 3 of them and broke both jaw points and only got one tetsucabra tusk+. loving :argh:

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

Zaphod42 posted:

Uhhhh you should be able to do Caravan Shagaru Malgala over and over at the same difficulty as the urgent. I farmed him to make the upgraded Gore Switch-axe. Didn't go online. You're missing a quest somewhere or something. Did you check 6* and 7*? Its in there somewhere...

Checked both 6 and 7. 6 is where it should be. And in the quest list online, it is there. On my hardware, that quest is not in the list. Normally, when you complete an urgent, it shows up immediately in the quests for the next rank. The only thing I can come up with is that I have to complete other quests in 6* for it to appear, so I've been grinding my way through that.

Edit: I realize it's an advanced and shows up semi-randomly. However, nothing is cycling out, and being replaced. I've been checking the list after each quest and it's exactly the same.

G-Prime fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Feb 23, 2015

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Zaphod42 posted:

Its an 'advanced' quest, they cycle, presumably that's how he missed it.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

There needs to be like a super powerful G rank Aptonoth boss who's avenging all the poor Aptonoth that get killed in boss intro cutscenes

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Did all the training missions last night, am now at the stage of doing 'real' missions. Am I missing something or am I meant to specifically know which area to look at for certain monsters or is it a case of exploration being the main focus? I wouldn't have known what a Konchu looked like without wiking it so just wanted to make sure I was going down the right path before getting frustrated.

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

Ramagamma posted:

Did all the training missions last night, am now at the stage of doing 'real' missions. Am I missing something or am I meant to specifically know which area to look at for certain monsters or is it a case of exploration being the main focus? I wouldn't have known what a Konchu looked like without wiking it so just wanted to make sure I was going down the right path before getting frustrated.

Yeah, you've gotta look around. Small monsters tend to always spawn in the same spots though. If looking 'em up feels cheesy the quest descriptions are usually geared to give you some idea what you're after.

When it comes to large monsters, who are the bulk of the game, you'll know them when you see them. Music will play in case you somehow miss them. They wander around, but tend to start in one spot every time.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Bland posted:

Its an 'advanced' quest, they cycle, presumably that's how he missed it.

Huh, seemed like it was always there for me. I did notice that it was 'advanced' but it didn't seem to cycle out. Weird.

G-Prime posted:

Edit: I realize it's an advanced and shows up semi-randomly. However, nothing is cycling out, and being replaced. I've been checking the list after each quest and it's exactly the same.

Even weirder.

I guess you probably just need to knock out some other quest? Try filling in things you skipped? :shrug:

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Ramagamma posted:

You can buy monster books at the goods vendor to get a general sense of what the monster looks like. As for the areas it's just something you pick up really. Konchu usually hang around the rocky/cliff areas and not the grasslands.

Ashtarath
Oct 11, 2012

Ramagamma posted:

For almost every monster there is an introductory video the first time you meet them in their quest so just explore each of the areas and you will be fine

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.

G-Prime posted:

Checked both 6 and 7. 6 is where it should be. And in the quest list online, it is there. On my hardware, that quest is not in the list. Normally, when you complete an urgent, it shows up immediately in the quests for the next rank. The only thing I can come up with is that I have to complete other quests in 6* for it to appear, so I've been grinding my way through that.

It's RNG, there's nothing you can do except quests to try and get it to rotate into availability. Some helpful advice I haven't seen posted for you yet though; don't stress out about monster weaknesses so much. It's fun to make a ton of weapons and try to match them for the fight you're in, but there's nothing wrong with just taking your biggest baddest RAW weapon and smashing the monster. You said you were having bad luck upgrading a fire weapon, I assume you mean the Axelion Blade? Don't bother with that for Low Rank because the Rathalos Plate you need has an insanely low drop rate. It's one of those things where if you happen to snag one great, but don't drive yourself insane trying to farm it. The Dear Lutemia would be a pretty good Fire CB to build as long as you keep in mind you're going to have to break wings to have any chance of getting the drops though.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Thanks for the tips. I feel like I could fall in love with this game but I've not built up enough of a knowledge base to know if it's for me. I read somewhere, possibly in these forums, that you really need to put 8 or so hours in until it gets its hooks in you and you know whether you are a :airquote: Monster Hunter :airquote: guy' but seems very solid so far :cheeky:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Ramagamma posted:

You can drink "Psychoserum" to gain monster-tracking powers at the start of a hunt, you can mark monsters with paintballs to track them once you find them, and you can gain armor skills like Psychic which allow you to track monsters by default. :eng101:

Mostly though its about learning the monsters. Its actually one of the more satisfying things about the game, each species has different habits that you'll learn over time; what zones they start in, what zones they run to when hurt, what animals they feed on or if they go to sleep or if they get tired or if they have an enrage mechanic and what the tell is, etc.

As for what the names of things are, you can look at your quests and it'll list the names of different monsters likely to show up, but when it comes to "what is a kelbi" vs "what is a konchu" you should just google it real quick to get visual confirmation, till you learn the names.

Ramagamma posted:

Thanks for the tips. I feel like I could fall in love with this game but I've not built up enough of a knowledge base to know if it's for me. I read somewhere, possibly in these forums, that you really need to put 8 or so hours in until it gets its hooks in you and you know whether you are a :airquote: Monster Hunter :airquote: guy' but seems very solid so far :cheeky:

You can skip the 8 hours thing if you just go online and co-op with people who know what they're doing. You can then follow them and copy their behavior and learn what to do much easier/faster, plus if you have 3 people who know what they're doing beating the tar out of some dinosaur, its pretty easy and super fun times to join in on the pinata-smashing.

If you haven't already go online and co-op with 3 people and kill a Great Jaggi or something. That'll tell you if you're a 'monster hunter' guy.

As for "The real :darksouls: stars here", when you get to HR or High Rank quests, you don't get a map by default anymore so you have to learn the zones, and you don't start in the "starting" position anymore, you start randomly dumped into the area, and you also don't get free supplies every time, but instead have to bring everything with you. That's when poo poo gets real.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Feb 23, 2015

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

Misandu posted:

It's RNG, there's nothing you can do except quests to try and get it to rotate into availability. Some helpful advice I haven't seen posted for you yet though; don't stress out about monster weaknesses so much. It's fun to make a ton of weapons and try to match them for the fight you're in, but there's nothing wrong with just taking your biggest baddest RAW weapon and smashing the monster. You said you were having bad luck upgrading a fire weapon, I assume you mean the Axelion Blade? Don't bother with that for Low Rank because the Rathalos Plate you need has an insanely low drop rate. It's one of those things where if you happen to snag one great, but don't drive yourself insane trying to farm it. The Dear Lutemia would be a pretty good Fire CB to build as long as you keep in mind you're going to have to break wings to have any chance of getting the drops though.

Oh, I'm not stressing about it, not at all. I'm frustrated because I've tried a few times and I'm just not getting enough damage output with my poison weapon, so I'm wanting to try something different that might give me more output over the same period of time. I'm not in low rank, I'm in high. This is the urgent to get to 7* in guild. Dear Lutemia is my next upgrade for my fire weapon, but I've just had horrible luck with getting Wingtalons despite breaking the wings every time.

I'm normally all for just going with raw damage and using that, but my highest raw right now is actually my Arachnoscale+, which is what I've been using. By getting myself Unheilskraft, I'd be swapping to something with the same raw, but dragon instead of poison, which should (generally, with resistances considered) give me more output on that fight. The same could be said of Dear Hecatelia, which is an option if I manage to get those Wingtalons. I'll get there, eventually. I really appreciate the advice, though.

Edit: I think I actually have two Rathalos Plates. Maybe I'll try to get the other stuff and head up the Axelion path. I may have most of the stuff to make the Bardichion Blade.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Oh poo poo, I forgot some cats could steal. Thanks for reminding me! I gotta go make a full stealing team alongside my healing team because my Shakalakas stole gems/mantles on occasion and even the slightest chance that that can happen again is worth it.

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.

G-Prime posted:

Oh, I'm not stressing about it, not at all. I'm frustrated because I've tried a few times and I'm just not getting enough damage output with my poison weapon, so I'm wanting to try something different that might give me more output over the same period of time. I'm not in low rank, I'm in high. This is the urgent to get to 7* in guild. Dear Lutemia is my next upgrade for my fire weapon, but I've just had horrible luck with getting Wingtalons despite breaking the wings every time.

I'm normally all for just going with raw damage and using that, but my highest raw right now is actually my Arachnoscale+, which is what I've been using. By getting myself Unheilskraft, I'd be swapping to something with the same raw, but dragon instead of poison, which should (generally, with resistances considered) give me more output on that fight. The same could be said of Dear Hecatelia, which is an option if I manage to get those Wingtalons. I'll get there, eventually. I really appreciate the advice, though.

Edit: I think I actually have two Rathalos Plates. Maybe I'll try to get the other stuff and head up the Axelion path. I may have most of the stuff to make the Bardichion Blade.

Yea the Axelion path is what I was going to do while I'm still in LR until I realized that Plate drops were going to drive me crazy. The Magala CB is really good but I know I'll end up just using whichever line the RNG gives me until I start bucking against G Rank.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i really wish the keyboard was usable in quests so i could tell the idiot pubby to stop following me everywhere and find his own goddamn bnahabra to kill. that took way longer than it needed to

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
God's Archipelago: Limiter on or off?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

The Jorts of Zeus posted:

My guess is that the huge numbers on some of the expedition stuff are hustling some newer players. Overall, I think the expeditions are the weakest new addition. At least they can be ignored.

I'm in the third village and I'm using an expedition hammer with like 720 damage and an empty gem slot and plenty of green sharpness -- I know it'll be outclassed eventually but it's WAY better than anything I can craft right now

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

greth posted:

I need to make sure I'm not going mad -- you weren't able to lay down a trap if there was already a trap on the ground in 3U, right? Because I noticed I could do that yesterday now in 4U and I actually giggled aloud in disbelief.

Wait, what? You can lay multiple traps now?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
One active trap per player.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Awesome! posted:

i really wish the keyboard was usable in quests so i could tell the idiot pubby to stop following me everywhere and find his own goddamn bnahabra to kill. that took way longer than it needed to

Yeah not really sure what the point of that is.

Like I get that nintendy is all paranoid about the kids and the internet, but there's nothing stopping you from saying all manner of horrible things in the guild hall. So why not let us communicate during a quest? :confused:

The whole game is very old-fashioned and :japan:

Why can't I join a quest once its started?
Why can't I type in text while on a mission, only between?
Why can't I change my equipment inside the guild hall?

etc. etc.

I'm really loving MH4U so I can't complain too much, but somebody at Capcom please rewrite the basic MH engine for next-gen already. PS2-era engine is showing its age :corsair:

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Zaphod42 posted:

Why can't I join a quest once its started?

So that you don't join a quest as soon as it ends and just get all the rewards for no work?

greth
Nov 12, 2008

Does it trouble your mind the way you trouble mine?

FrickenMoron posted:

One active trap per player.

I'm almost 100% certain I laid a pitfall trap to cap Hermataur after he ditched my shock trap yesterday (ditched in the sense of zoning out without triggering it). I'll have to test again this afternoon when I get home from work (or if someone else is willing to blow a couple traps to confirm/deny).

Neraren
Sep 15, 2006
Random Nerd #753897

The Jorts of Zeus posted:

My guess is that the huge numbers on some of the expedition stuff are hustling some newer players. Overall, I think the expeditions are the weakest new addition. At least they can be ignored.

I like having an option to just go hunt monsters where all the variables aren't set already. Unstable expeditions are where you can actually be surprised by something coming after you.

greth posted:

I'm almost 100% certain I laid a pitfall trap to cap Hermataur after he ditched my shock trap yesterday (ditched in the sense of zoning out without triggering it). I'll have to test again this afternoon when I get home from work (or if someone else is willing to blow a couple traps to confirm/deny).

If he ditched your shock trap then it wasn't active. There's one active trap at a time per person, but no limit on how many traps you can use beyond what you can carry. I think you can get up to 4 between the different trap types and supply boxes.

Neraren fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Feb 23, 2015

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Just noticed that base camp for Sanctuary is the same as the one for Heaven's Mount, just facing the other direction. Neat touch there.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Alxprit posted:

So that you don't join a quest as soon as it ends and just get all the rewards for no work?

If you really think about it, it'd be pretty hard to game this for much advantage. Like, yeah, you could go on a quest while your buddies do some other quest, and then assuming you beat yours before theirs you could finish yours and hop out and then hop in the other as they finish it, maybe they could stall a bit? But its really a ton of work for very little gain. If you want to have 3 buddies kill a monster for you so that you can power level up to fast equipment, you already can. Nothing is stopping you from that. This would only allow a sliiiightly faster leveling and it'd be significantly more painful to set up.

But if that was really an issue, they could let you join after it starts and just warn you that you're going to get reduced rewards.

Number of Drops * (amount of time you were in the quest / amount of time the quest took total for all party members) = altered number of drops.

Or even worse, they could just say "if you join a quest in-progress you can help out and you can get carves but that's it; you don't get any rewards or quest progress"

It'd still be nice to have for simple quality of life reasons.

Somehow though I forgot the biggest reason MH needs a new engine in that list though:

EVERY SUB-ZONE SHOULDN'T REQUIRE LOADING. That's so painful. What is this, Resident Evil on the PS1? Nobody does that anymore. Its so old-fashioned.

And okay, even if the 3DS hardware means you have to limit each zone (or limiting each zone makes them prettier or something), you could still handle the level transitions better.

Have the entrance/exit of each zone drop you off further into the zone than you have to go to walk out of it. Like, there should be a buffer space where you enter and you can turn around and you don't zone out right away. And monsters should generally avoid the buffer zones, too much weird glitchy poo poo happens when you're fighting right on a zone boarder.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Feb 23, 2015

Rage McDougal
Jul 28, 2013

Just fought Seregios, and that was a really fun fight. I'll have to see how I feel after I fight him a few more time, but at the moment it felt like a far better way of doing a "flying" monster than Rathalos.

Also, continuing my absurdly lucky streak that's been going all game, my first shiny drop was a dissenter. And then I got a second from capturing.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I'm kinda stuck in an early quest collecting Kelbi horns. I've hunted down a few in area 3 but I can't seem to get any more to respawn, even running all the way to area 9 and back. Am I missing something?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Do I need to beat the poo poo out of a monster before I can capture it? are they basically pokemon?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

muike posted:

Do I need to beat the poo poo out of a monster before I can capture it? are they basically pokemon?

Yup, its literally pokemon in monster hunter. :japan:

3 conditions needed to trap: Monster has to be weak, monster has to be in a trap, monster has to be hit by 2x tranq bombs.
Order doesn't matter, but the general and safest way to do it is:

Beat monster until monster starts limping. Stop doing damage to monster so you don't kill it.

Follow monster to the next zone. DO NOT put a trap down until the monster goes to a new zone.

Put a trap down in the zone the monster ran to as soon as you get there. Then hide behind trap to force monster to run into it as soon as possible so monster doesn't decide to gently caress off to another zone already.

Then while monster is trapped, spam tranq bombs at point-blank range to guarantee you don't miss.

If you go on a capture quest, you will probably be proided an "ez trap" (trap that counts as separate inventory from normal traps) as well as a couple tranq bombs. You really don't want to rely on these, though. You should bring a couple traps and bombs of your own. Some goons that want to cover their bases are known to bring additional trap tools and trap materials to craft backup traps in the field if those traps should fail. You really don't want to beat a monster to the point where its limping only to waste your only trap. Feels bad man. :smith:

Fuzzykins
Nov 24, 2013

Evil Mastermind posted:

If Capcom does make paid DLC, I'd be willing to pay for a "no more Rhenopolises ever" DLC.

Lol yeah, Rhenoplos on the map make me go 'Small monsters first'

Neraren
Sep 15, 2006
Random Nerd #753897

Zaphod42 posted:

If you really think about it, it'd be pretty hard to game this for much advantage. Like, yeah, you could go on a quest while your buddies do some other quest, and then assuming you beat yours before theirs you could finish yours and hop out and then hop in the other as they finish it, maybe they could stall a bit? But its really a ton of work for very little gain. If you want to have 3 buddies kill a monster for you so that you can power level up to fast equipment, you already can. Nothing is stopping you from that. This would only allow a sliiiightly faster leveling and it'd be significantly more painful to set up.

But if that was really an issue, they could let you join after it starts and just warn you that you're going to get reduced rewards.

Number of Drops * (amount of time you were in the quest / amount of time the quest took total for all party members) = altered number of drops.

Or even worse, they could just say "if you join a quest in-progress you can help out and you can get carves but that's it; you don't get any rewards or quest progress"

It'd still be nice to have for simple quality of life reasons.

I believe damage scales according to how many people are in the party, so having an updating variable like that could be an issue too. Regardless, the hook of the game is leaving town, tracking a monster down to its home turf stomping ground, kicking its butt and using its toenails to make helmet spikes. It's anathema to the core conceit of the game to have someone drop in mid-fight and grabbing parts off a monster who was already at 10%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Neraren posted:

I believe damage scales according to how many people are in the party, so having an updating variable like that could be an issue too. Regardless, the hook of the game is leaving town, tracking a monster down to its home turf stomping ground, kicking its butt and using its toenails to make helmet spikes. It's anathema to the core conceit of the game to have someone drop in mid-fight and grabbing parts off a monster who was already at 10%

Yeah but what about the thousands of times where you join a multiplayer game and they JUST started a quest? Yeah yeah, you should check the quest info to make sure they're still in lobby before you join, but what if they grab a quest and leave while you're loading or something?

I mean if they haven't even sighted the monster yet, is there a good reason why you can't join in? Nope. Just technical restrictions that shouldn't be there (IMO).

• Locked thread